News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Scaling parts of an FX - Skope problem

Started by life_matrix, May 26, 2010, 11:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

life_matrix

Lately, I've been modifying and Skoping some fx for FF1. (And later I might convert some to FFvT3R). And among these are a series of grenades.

I manged to do several without a hitch, but one type of grenade FX I wanted to create was a "freeze" type. I thought about using either the start.nif or end.nif from the Active Defense ice_shell (library\fx\nuclear_winter\ice_shell), but I decided I wanted to use the core.nif from the Area attack "ice_explosion" (library\fx\fx_levels\cold_explosion) instead.

Problem is, for a grenade I did not want this freeze-type fx to cover such a huge area - I felt it needed to be reduced in size by half. Scaling the fx is not the problem. I can change "Scale" to 0.5000 and it does shrink it. However, by doing this, nearly all the components (such as the ring (ring_blue_03.tga), snowflakes (snow_flake_01.tga), and smoke_grey_02.tga are misplaced far away from the actual target - usually appearing near the hero who threw it. The only component not thrown off is the glow (area_snowstorm_01.tga ?) from the impact.

I did notice that most of the NiNodes for above had some Translation. Both X and Y coordinates were always 0, but Z is usually 18.2430 or something close. This reminded me of when I rescaled the Meshes in a different FX that I could see within NifSkope that they were no longer centered. But in that case I managed to fix it by manually scaling the Translation as well. (When I changed the scale in start.nif from rad_bolts by 0.6, I multiplied the Y Translation of -31.3716 by 0.6 to get -18.8230. This correction re-centered the mesh.)

I've tried this technique on cold_explosion\core.nif, but that doesn't seem to change anything. However, only the Z coordinate in cold_explosion has a non-zero value and, in-game, the mislocated fx seems to be off-center via either the Y or X coordinate, not Z. I've tried a few random numbers for X and Y to get it to center, but nothing seems even close to working...
"I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible." - Neo, The Matrix