News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

3rd Reich / Old FF how can i identify?

Started by kingb33, June 03, 2010, 04:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingb33

Ugh... :banghead:

I'm having a really hard time when going to download websites figuring out if a character is for old FF or the new 3rd reich.  Even when i download them it doesn't say in the read me files most of the time...is there a trick to this?  Like what exactly what can i look for in the file to know that it's for 3rd Reich?  Or is it all just trial and error?  Which would be frustrating....

Like Tommyboys mesh website...how can i tell if those meshes are for 3rd Reich or old FF?  It doesn't indicate that anywhere...

Also I noticed that folders are different in 3rd Reich...do the characters i download go here?

C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters

Do i just drop them in that characters folder and they will show up?

Thanks!!!!!

John Jr.

Most of Tommy's meshes are for  :ff:, but can be used with  :ffvstr: (some need converting). You can try to see the mesh in Character Tool after you installed it, if it doesn't open with Ctool it won't play in the game.
You can get Ctool 2 (for  :ffvstr: ) and other tools here:
http://www.freedomfans.com/modforce/character.php

kingb33

Hi, is there like a 3rd Reich mesh / skin download website? 

Also what about that path i mentioned in 3rd Reich....it's different than the old FF path.

Do i just drop character downloads in that characters folder?

C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters

Thanks!

Previsionary

Kingb33, check out the FR wiki: http://frworld.wikispaces.com/Installing+skins+and+meshes

That link specifically points out the difference between FF1 and FFv3R's custom install paths, but in short, yes, your address is correct.

Most of the sites around now focus on FFv3R, so whatever active site you find will probably lean that way except Tommy's site, which is FF1 oriented (and maybe Gren's new stuff). FFv3R can also use 95% of FF1's assets, so that's not really a problem.

I would think that most sites would attempt to announce where their content will and won't work, but I also realize that information might be on the boards and not on the pertinent sites or readme files, which is a bit unfortunate.
Disappear when you least expe--

kingb33

Hey thanks...ill check out that wiki...this is all giving me a headache trying to figure it all out. lol

I just want to "watch" superheroes duke it out so im eager to get this working and use that FFX3 thing everyone talks about...

I was messing with MUGEN a couple weeks ago and now im messing with FF  :blink:

Shogunn2517

I take it as a general rule that if it isn't stated if the meshes are for FF or FFvTTR, I assume they are for FF.  The bulk of them were made prior to FFvTTR being released.  As is such, I convert files as I download them for the most part.  There are a number of meshes and sites I am familiar with already and know whether the files are for FF or FFvTTR or are FF files that can run in FFvTTR due to previous downloads and experience.

Either way, I use EZnifConverter to convert files, but apparently there's a mass converter out there too that you can use.

kingb33

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on June 03, 2010, 06:34:54 AM
I take it as a general rule that if it isn't stated if the meshes are for FF or FFvTTR, I assume they are for FF.  The bulk of them were made prior to FFvTTR being released.  As is such, I convert files as I download them for the most part.  There are a number of meshes and sites I am familiar with already and know whether the files are for FF or FFvTTR or are FF files that can run in FFvTTR due to previous downloads and experience.

Either way, I use EZnifConverter to convert files, but apparently there's a mass converter out there too that you can use.

What are some sites that you know have 3rd Reich ready characters?  I think http://heroforce.freedomforceforever.com/ is one of them? I was up all night messing with this...definitely frustrating.  But I finally ave gotten some working.  Right now my technique for figuring out if a character is for 3rd Reich is if it crashes the game... :blink:  Which i know is lame...there has to be a better way than just trial and error.  How does everyone else do it?

Also is there a converter to make 3rd Reich characters usable in old FF?  Or is the converter only for converting to 3rd Reich?   

John Jr.

The converter only converts from  :ff: to  :ffvstr:

area34

Every skin I do that has a skope by me is  :ffvstr: otherwise they are for meshes that can be converted.
(And now my first time plugging Champs - http://ffcenter.net/champions/)

I know it sucks for some people that I'm all  :ffvstr: but skoping can be tedious and it's just easier for me to have everything one way. I do make sure that my readme's specifically list what parts are used so some one could theoretically reskope them for  :ff:. And before someone asks, I don't plan on doing it ever. I've had to reskope other peoples stuff on rare instances where it's something I want (I'm looking at you DM's Mad Hatter) but it's just tedious work.

kingb33

Whew this is all confusing...there isn't enough stuff info in readme files to know what to do with stuff... :wacko:

If i download a characters "mesh" for  :ffvstr:  and in the download file there is a FX folder...where do i put that exactly?  I downloaded Cloak and Dagger from here:
http://heroforce.freedomforceforever.com/afghanant.html
and there is a FX folder in the file.  I'm not sure what to do with it....

Also if i download a "skin" for  :ffvstr:  where would i find the matching  :ffvstr: mesh for it?  Or do i have to find the  :ff:  mesh somehow and convert it?
For example i downloaded "Elektra"  here http://heroforce.freedomforceforever.com/afghanant.html
But where do i get a  :ffvstr: mesh for her?   Or am i totally off?  

Also what is you download a character (Wolverine_AXM) and it doesn't include the "keyframes" file? It only had the .nif and skins included...

Sorry for so many questions but this is very confusing  :wacko:

Thanks

Previsionary

1) FX instructions should be in the fx readme. It's not only a case of placing the file in the correct place (...\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\art\library\fx\generic) but also installing it into ffedit with the correct information.

2) As I said before, FF1 content is 95% compatible with FFv3R. Not every mesh needs converting. You'll know if a mesh needs to be converted using Ctool2. Regardless, AlexFF.com has a conversion tool on his site under goodies, which you'll find to be very helpful. The readme should also point out "exactly" what mesh the skin needs and preferably the location.

3) Yes, FFv3R has a heroes folder if you've manually created a hero file first. Instructions about where the folder can be found is here: http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=49868.msg680025#msg680025

My suggestion would be to slow down a little and attempt to understand one thing at a time instead of jumping into the deep end. I think you're overwhelming yourself, which is adding to your confusion overall. I'd try to understand the concepts behind installing meshes and skins first before trying to figure out FX and other misc. things.

kingb33

Quote from: Previsionary on June 03, 2010, 07:10:31 PM
1) FX instructions should be in the fx readme. It's not only a case of placing the file in the correct place (...\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\art\library\fx\generic) but also installing it into ffedit with the correct information.

2) As I said before, FF1 content is 95% compatible with FFv3R. Not every mesh needs converting. You'll know if a mesh needs to be converted using Ctool2. Regardless, AlexFF.com has a conversion tool on his site under goodies, which you'll find to be very helpful. The readme should also point out "exactly" what mesh the skin needs and preferably the location.

3) Yes, FFv3R has a heroes folder if you've manually created a hero file first. Instructions about where the folder can be found is here: http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=49868.msg680025#msg680025

My suggestion would be to slow down a little and attempt to understand one thing at a time instead of jumping into the deep end. I think you're overwhelming yourself, which is adding to your confusion overall. I'd try to understand the concepts behind installing meshes and skins first before trying to figure out FX and other misc. things.

Yeah i know  :P  but ive messed with some many scenes over the years ---  MAME, Visual Pinball, MUGEN, Future Pinball, QUAKE 2-3, UT, WOW interface mods, 3D ARCADE, etc., etc and never had such a hard time figuring out stuff as I have with this lol....

I did successfully convert a  :ff:  to  :ffvstr: and it works fine so that's all good.  What i found over the years when getting into a scene (or back into one after a long while) is understanding what tools are available, what they do exactly, how file naming conventions work (which deosnt seem to apply so much here), and what file types there are and how they are installed and where everything needs to go.  I usually can figure it all out pretty quick but im stumped in some cases with FF.

The  :ff:  vs.  :ffvstr: is what really throws me off i think...

Like for example:
I downloaded a character that included the .nif file and skins but it doesn't have the keyframes file.   I googled it and searched the forum but didn't find anything on what to do in a case like that.  And i'm finding a lot of the read me files don't include any installation info the the most part which makes it more confusing.  Like the how  :ffvstr: "heroes" folder isn't like how it was in  :ff:   I couldnt find anything on that at all...

Sorry for so many questions lol...i just like to get things working and im off of work this week so im want to utilize my time best i can  :P

So is there so info somewhere on how to install FX files that i end up finding or come with characters i download? And what if a particular character doesn't include the keyframe file? 

Thanks!!!   :D

Previsionary

1) Yes, FXforce is still the best place to go to for generic installation tips outside of the FX's readme file.

See: http://www.fxforce.com/Tutorials.html#FXREADME

You'll note the install instruction between the games hasn't changed much at all.

2) If a hex or skope doesn't come with a keyframe file, then it means that information should be provided in the readme where you can find the original mesh's location (or at the very least, give you some keyframe suggestions). As you can see, a lot of that stuff is on the creator's hands + the readme, so I can't give you better instructions than that unless you're savvy enough to recognize what each skope (or for FF1 users, hex) is based on and go from there.

Using AA's Wolverine skope readme:

QuoteWolverine (Reload Costume)
Mesh: Wolverine_AXM (hexed mesh included) by Texas Jack/ hexed by Afghan Ant
Keyframes:uses Wolverine keyframes
http://ffunderground.com/TJzips/Wolverine_TJ.zip

Base skin:male_basic by Courtnall 6, Custom face by Afghan Ant
By Afghan Ant
afghanant@gmail.com

He points out you'd need TJ's wolverine mesh's keyframes and provides the old location. Unfortunately FF Underground is dead, but the mesh is now located here: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasJackMeshes/files/

Grab the Wolverine_TJ mesh, copy the keyframes, then put them in AA's skopes folder.

kingb33

Hey thanks Previsionary, is there like a list of all the yahoo groups you can join that have all these meshes?  I know i can just search form them but sometimes people don't name their group "Freedom Force Meshes"  There seems to be a lot of them and they aren't the easiest things to find. I remember back in the old days i had to join a bunch of them to get the right meshes.  But that was so long ago...

Previsionary

Master Mesh list: Freedom University or FR Wiki or GPWarehouse all contain the list as it was when Protomorph last updated it.

And I think I posted this before: FF Portal - lists SEVERAL yahoo groups for skins, meshes, and etc.