Main Menu

High School

Started by vamp, June 04, 2010, 09:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vamp

The Hitman

HECK YEAH MAN!! Congrats!

Velocity

Speaking as someone that just graduated college this year, may I make a suggestion?

If you don't know exactly what you want to do after high school as far as what you want to go to college for, take a year or two off (or longer if you need to). I, and many others, all made the same mistake of going to college right away and just getting burnt out really fast on it and dropping out.

Here is an example: When I first started the Culinary Management program at my college, there were 20-25 of us. At graduation, there were 5, and one of the 5 didn't even show up to graduation.

I hate to be a downer like this, but please, think through what you're going to do next. Don't just rush into it.

daglob

In counterpoint to Velocity, and speaking as an 8th, 9th quarter Sophomore, it is sometimes better to get things done as soon as feasable. However, I aggree with Velocity that you should think through your next step. It may be good to take a little time to decide (a month or a year or...).

One thing I don't recommend it the "Four Years in Three" programs some colleges offer, this is no matter WHEN you start. My ex-wife and my daughter were both rooked into these programs (at different colleges), and both of them got burned out with the extra classes and heavier workload. My ex-wife took four and a half years to finish, my daughter took nearly six, and both said they hated their chosen fields when they were done.

Xenolith

Congratulations!  I remember my high school graduation like it was 22 years ago.  *sobs*   :D

Tawodi Osdi

I'm voting with daglob.  I returned to college after taking a year off twenty years ago.  There are some advantages to being an older college guy, but it is also tougher in some ways.  I'd say go for a couple years and get the basics out of the way.  They are almost always the same no matter what major you pursue and they should offer enough of a cross section of course to get a taste of different fields.

vamp

Thanks guys  :)

And thanks for the advice guys. I have been thinking about going into computer engineering, but I'm not quite sure. Either way, I plan to get my basics out of the way first

The Phantom Eyebrow