News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Skoping help?

Started by laughing paradox, June 08, 2010, 04:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laughing paradox

I was wondering if someone could add the top half of a regular male_basic to Jik's incredible xcom_snakeman mesh? It would make for a cool Bushmaster skope.

daglob

Someone has taken the arms and legs off The Scorpion (from Spider-Man), making it snakelike.

hoss20

How's this?

If you're looking for the full deal, I'll have to add the spikes/fangs on his wrists, of course. I'l look at widening the waist a bit, so that it transitions smoothly.

laughing paradox

Thanks a lot, Hoss! That is definitely what I had in mind.

I attempted this myself but I couldn't get the top part to look like it was attached to the bottom half during the animations.. I really appreciate it. The wrist-blades (fangs) would be greatly appreciated as well.

hoss20

Here you go. I did a little cheating with alpha channels to get the mesh right. There is some clipping during a few animations with the worst one being melee_idle (the pelvis juts out through the snake tail during some of the movements). I just threw your old skin on it to better show it off. Do you want me to add reflection to the tail portion for the scales? If so, I'll have to add it to the mesh.
   Also, the keyframes are a bit limited with only one melee animation. Would you like me to try to add some more? I haven't tried yet as I'm not too sure I'll be successful. Let me know.

John Jr.

laughing paradox

Hoss, that looks great!

Yeah, I'd add some reflection for the tail. I'm curious if it's even possible to connect the male_basic with the snake section during the 'run' animation, so that there isn't major clipping.

If you could add more keyframes, that would be even better. I knew the melee animations were limited, but it would be worth it based on how well the original mesh moves like a snake.

hoss20

Here's how he looks during the run animation. This is at his most outstretched point. You'll have to do a little work on the pelvis portion of the male basic.tga. I inverted the shading on the tail as it wasn't initially matching up with the torso (shadow on the torso was down the middle, while it was on the sides with the tail). I'm still working on additional animations.

laughing paradox

It's looking great, Hoss. Again, many thanks for hooking it up.

cmdrkoenig67

You did a great job with Bushmaster, Hoss!

Dana

hoss20

Ok, everyone. Here he is in all his snake-tailed glory. I had some issues with the skin for the male_basic piece being pink in-game. After doing some forum searching, I discovered that it was a lightmap issue. I always thought a lightmap was a lightmap, then discovered I needed to take the exact lightmap from the mesh I took the male_basic mesh from. I was doing all this renaming of tga's and other nonsense... anyway, I digress.
   I was able to add a couple of melee animations, but only only by copying a couple of current animations (power and flailing_back) and adding contacts to them. The power animation was used to make a double wrist-blade swipe and the flailing_back was used to make a poor rendition of a tail swipe (more like a tail thrust). The double swipe is passable, but the tail swipe looks like crap in CTool. It looks much better in-game. Even in character creation, is doesn't look so hot, but in Rumble Room, it actually performs adequately. Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the skope. I really appreciate it.

I only pasted the wrist blades from Tommyboy's Bushmaster_tvlite and they were able to fit without any manipulation. I was wondering, though, should I straighten them out or align them a bit better? They look the same way on the tvlite mesh as well.

Xenolith

are you still having clipping issues?  you could always move the mesh verticies inward a little.

Amazing job!!!

hoss20

Now, this is the final version. I was able to fix the clipping problem. Below is the melee_idle animation (the worst culprit for clipping).

Before                                                                   After

I was able to remove the pelvis portion jutting out by editing the triangles.
  Xenolith, is there a tutorial somewhere regarding vertices? I did a search, but only found a mention of vertices in a tutorial about editing and pruning triangles.

hoss20

Okay, HERE is the final version. I was checking out some reference pictures and decided that the skope needed to have the curved wrist blades. What do you guys think?                           

Xenolith

That looks wonderful. 

There isn't a vertex moving tut that I know of.  If you select on the mesh, and then some of the submenu's, you will find a section that contains all the mesh verticies.  Each point has three numbers (XYZ) that you can change.

laughing paradox

Hoss, that looks even better than I could have imagined it. I like the claws you decided to use a lot better.

Send it to me when you can so I can skin it up! :)

Thanks again for the help!

hoss20

Let me know your e-mail, so I can get it to you. I couldn't find it anywhere. Just FYI, the mesh is for 3rd Reich. I hope that's still okay.