Taking up the cape.........Who would take over the cape of superman?

Started by thalaw2, June 23, 2010, 01:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thalaw2

So if there was one guy who would take over for Superman the way Dick has taken over for Batman....who would it be?  I know the whole death of Superman thing was done, but is there really a true heir to the cape?
革命不会被电视转播

lugaru

thanoson

Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

marhawkman

Quote from: thanoson on June 23, 2010, 04:05:44 PMWas thinking Supergirl myself. But Power Girl works too.
Ditto....  there's just not that many options.

BWPS

I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Blkcasanova247

I say Power Girl as well. It'd be great to see her take on that mantle. ;)
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

murs47

President Raygun

Blkcasanova247

Yes...or Gladiator Emperor of the Shiar! :P Nah...what am I saying? PG is way hotter...Power Girl...all the way! :thumbup:

lugaru

Quote from: BWPS on June 23, 2010, 06:42:01 PM
Steel? Superboy? Didn't they do this?

My first thought was death of superman of course but Cyborg and Eradicator are not options, Steel has kind of evolved into his own non superman related Hero (but I'm sure he would pick up the mantle in a heartbeat) and well there is superboy but where is he? Titans? I just dont know what he is up to.

Here is the story I would pitch: death is already played out... they should have Superman travel to another galaxy (which he did once) and do the "death of superman" thing again but with a different line up:

Power Girl, Bizarro, Zod and Martian Manhunter (trying to make it look like Clarke never left, imitating his social life too).

BlueBard

Not trying to be sexist or anything, but... How is Power Girl supposed to take on the mantle of Superman?

Assume the duties, yes.  Maybe.  But she has her own cape and costume, her own identity, and doesn't really need Supe's mantle in the same way that Dick took on the Batman persona.

It would be much more interesting to watch Martian Manhunter try to fake it as Clark Kent for awhile.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: BlueBard on June 23, 2010, 09:21:49 PM
Not trying to be sexist or anything, but... How is Power Girl supposed to take on the mantle of Superman?

Easy...she becomes Superwoman. ;)

Trelau

Quote(trying to make it look like Clarke never left, imitating his social life too).
in Superman TAS, supergirl used remote-controlled super-bot to play clark's role while he was away being brainwashed by darkside.

Conner  could definitely try to take over as superman, in Superman/Batman and in Blackest Night their tie as a family is clear, so he definitely would think of it as his dutie. Now for him to actually succeed....
Power Girl is the most experienced, supergirl is still a little bit of a loose canon (last i heard of her anyway) and Sodam Yat is not attached to earth the was clark is. The "adopted son" in superman's character is a current theme and a strong motivational tool (like "they took me in without question, i owe them to help them")
So Conner as actually taking the mantle, Power Girl cleaning up the mess and doing the real work.

MArtian Manhnter is a good idea too, i wonder how he would play in this situation

AfghanAnt

Actually didnt they do this a few months ago with Mon-El basically being "Superman" symbol and all.

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on June 24, 2010, 03:20:33 AM
Actually didnt they do this a few months ago with Mon-El basically being "Superman" symbol and all.

Yeah they did. Didn't read any of those issues so I'm not sure how it worked out. I like the Power Girl and Sodam Yat suggestions too.

Connor isn't ready yet. It'd be like making Tim Batman rather than Dick.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

DrMike2000

Mark Millar.

He bought the cape from Superman 2 off E-Bay.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

Kenn

My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

yell0w_lantern

Yellow Lantern smash!

Deaths Jester

Bob Marley...oh wait, he's already dead.  Ummm...how about Guy Gardner!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

steamteck

Quote from: DrMike2000 on June 29, 2010, 01:19:36 PM
Mark Millar.

He bought the cape from Superman 2 off E-Bay.

Thanks , now I'm going to have nightmares.

lugaru

I just realized     :doh:

Icon is part of the DCU proper now.

thalaw2

I guess from out discussion that there isn't a Superman Family in the way there is the Bat Family.  Supes isn't much of a mentor.  Others would just be assuming the identity, but not inheriting. 
革命不会被电视转播

BlueBard

I finally realized that there is only one logical choice.

The man who would take the cape of Superman is...

Spoiler
Marty.  The guy who runs the cleaners over on 5th and Jefferson.  He's been taking in the cape of Superman every Friday for the last ten years.

Hey.  It's got to get cleaned SOME time, you know.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

JeyNyce

ICON would be a great replacement for Supes.  I really wish they would bring back some of the Milestone Heroes.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Courtnall6

The whole legacy thing doesn't work for me with Superman. After Superman is gone...he's gone. I can see another hero stepping up to protect Metropolis(Power Girl is a good choice)...but not wearing the S while doing so.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

cmdrkoenig67

Wait...You guys think Power Girl should be Superman?  I'm confused...I don't think she has the parts for it. :P

I think Connor is the only really fitting candidate to be Superman.

Dana

kkhohoho

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on July 06, 2010, 08:24:46 PM
Wait...You guys think Power Girl should be Superman?  I'm confused...I don't think she has the parts for it. :P

Dana

Maybe after he's grownup and becomes ready for the role, but if Superman was gone before then, either someone else would have to pick it up, or otherwise, there would simply be no successor. And even if somewhere were to put on the cape and take on the name, they couldn't truly replace the Superman.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Cyber Burn

Spoiler
Yoou guys are all missing the obvious choice here. The only man who could truely inherit the cape and mantle is.........................................Lex Luthor!!! Just plain obvious if you ask me.  :P

lugaru

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on July 06, 2010, 08:24:46 PM

Dana

Is that why Dick gets to be batman?    :P

Btw Cyber Burn, that would blow my mind, especially if he acted heroic with his nemesis out of the way.

Cyber Burn

With the actual Superman out of the way, it's only fitting that Luthor would try to fill in the power vacuum.