New Spider-man Movie

Started by JeyNyce, July 02, 2010, 02:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Reepicheep

Quotewill take the superhero back to his origins and focus on "a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises"

Is that another name for Reboot?

Still, I like the looks of this guy. He has that, "I just found something funny and I'm thinking up a clever remark right now" look about him.

JeyNyce

docdelorean88

So, i'm guessing they've scrapped the "highschool Peter Parker" aspect? I know it says teenager in that article, but he looks late twenties to me. Hmmm...undecided as of now.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BlueBard

If they start filming RIGHT NOW, while this actor still has his boyish looks, it will be okay.  I could see him as Peter Parker.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

BWPS

Quote from: BlueBard on July 02, 2010, 04:59:44 PM
If they start filming RIGHT NOW, while this actor still has his boyish looks, it will be okay.  I could see him as Peter Parker.
He's 26, so if he's got them now, they'll probably stay for a decade or so. He'll only need them for half that before the next reboot. He looks good for it, I never really cared for Toby Maguire. Hopefully he'll be funnier. The director still doesn't seem right, this is totally the most important movie to make good. I haven't seen (500) Days of Summer, but it looks really lame and the parentheses in the title tell me it's gimmicky, why not get someone good... like Sam Raimi?  Then again, I don't know the guy, he may be talented and understand the character and give us a sweet Spidey movie.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

captmorgan72

Hmm, this guy might be able to pull it off. Also, the director's name is Mark Webb. His last name has to count for something.

Courtnall6

After the epic disaster that was Spider-Man 3...I'm not all that bothered by the quick move to relaunch the series. I just hope they fix the "mistakes" made by Raimi and Co (organic webshooters, SM costume was too high end to be home made, Sandman being involved in Uncle Ben's death, Power Ranger Green Goblin, and the complete miscasting of Eddie Brock...Eric Foreman? Really!?).
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

lugaru

Actually Webb was the only one I was interested in out of the list of directors (OK, Fincher could direct anything) but (500) Days of summer is a great movie, pretty unique too. And it proves that he can do young love without it being formulaic.

deano_ue

Quote from: Courtnall6 on July 02, 2010, 10:41:23 PM
After the epic disaster that was Spider-Man 3...I'm not all that bothered by the quick move to relaunch the series. I just hope they fix the "mistakes" made by Raimi and Co (organic webshooters, SM costume was too high end to be home made, Sandman being involved in Uncle Ben's death, Power Ranger Green Goblin, and the complete miscasting of Eddie Brock...Eric Foreman? Really!?).

i will give you sandman, but i still think that grace could have played a decent brock, if given the right amount of screen time. yeah it wasn't the hulking mass we knew from the comics but they started the right way of him being a corrupt sleaze ball who never took responsibility, thats one aspect i liked of ultimate eddie, the mass could have come once he got the costume. they just put to much into one film and sadly we have only ourselves to blame the fans demanded venom so we got him shoved in

i just pray they do the goblin right apart from the costume(which i still say could have worked they just stopped short)  defoe was superb as both personality, sadly ult spidey has hulk goblin *shudders*

BentonGrey

*shrug* Spider-Man 3 was a flawed film, but it was still pretty good.  Blame the suits for Venom, and yes, as TUE said, the fans.  Raimi didn't want to use him.  Still, I thought the whole thing turned out alright.  I would have been perfectly happy to watch more Raimi Spidey flicks, but I'm definitely not going to go see this rebooted one when it comes out.  The suits are in charge of Spider-Man, and that just won't end well, no matter how this film turns out.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Shogunn2517

You know, I've mostly did not mind the changes they did in the first two movies, as far as the costume(s) for Spider-man, Doc Ock and Green Goblin.  They made sense when using a more "real world" logic.  Realistically, a guy running around in green and purple pajamas would not have been terrifying.  Or green and yellow pajamas in Doc Ock's case.  I didn't mind too terribly the organic web-shooters either.  It made a little sense.  I didn't mind tobey McGuire.  He was able to play the "geeky kid" role pretty well.  Actually, I think overall, the first two movies were much better than I could have ever hoped or expected.

I won't even talk about that third movie.  It was a disaster for every reason listed.  I wish it never existed.

But I do have to say, I generally don't like the idea of movie reboots within four or five years of the last release.  It makes me wonder why did you waste the money and do the original in the first place?  Just do it right the first time.  Still, if they do a reboot this soon, I hope they at least TRY to avoid area covered by the previous films, like in the case of The Punisher Warzone and The Hulk.  Like them or not, they weren't origin stories, which isn't always necessary.  Re-casting I can deal with.  But in a franchise with three films, it's going to be hard not to tell the same stories audiences saw a few years ago.  Just seems kind of lame.

TheMarvell

I think this guy definitely looks the part, but I'm worried he might be too much of a new-comer as far as acting is concerned (you know, the most important part of casting, which I feel like a lot of fans, including ones that post on this site, forget about). I'm glad that it looks like those who cast him want a Peter Parker that can convey both emotion as well as funny, snarky lines. I mean, it's pretty obvious that the only bad part about Tobey McGuire was how he couldn't deliver believable, smart-arse lines. "It's you who's out Gobby...out of your mind!" still makes me cringe, lol.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but I'm not too sure the general public is ready for a reboot of this franchise this soon. Spider-Man is Marvel's most popular character (or is it now Iron Man?) and the Raimi movies were huge. It worked for Hulk because the general public didn't care for the 2003 film, but this is different. We'll see.

Raimi's movies weren't perfect. But they were still damn good and still remain some of Marvels best movies. However, do you guys remember the rumor about Raimi's 4th film? That Felicia Hardy would be turned into the Vulturess, a female apprentice to the Vulture and completely new to the series. If you guys hated organic web shooters, I can only imagine heads exploding and pitchforks raised at Raimi if this happened.

speaking of organic webshooters, I always thought this was a fantastic, and necessary change for the movies. Even Stan Lee thinks so and said he wished he would have done it this way originally. I never understood why a lot of fans think the mechanical webshooters were better.

BWPS

Quote from: TheMarvell on July 04, 2010, 02:22:51 PM
speaking of organic webshooters, I always thought this was a fantastic, and necessary change for the movies. Even Stan Lee thinks so and said he wished he would have done it this way originally. I never understood why a lot of fans think the mechanical webshooters were better.
Because Spider-Man isn't awesome because of his powers. He's awesome because he's a hero no matter what and he really works hard at it no matter how much crap happens. Part of that is that he's also a really good scientist. Some of his best moments are when he does something all sciencey to beat a badguy. With mechanical webshooters, he gets one of his main powers just by working for it, that's way more respectable than getting bit by a spider. Plus having goo shoot out of a wrist hole is really gross, especially to me, I've got weird wrist phobias.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Courtnall6

QuoteEven Stan Lee thinks so...

Didn't he also love the idea of Spider-Man unmasking himself during Civil War? Stan Lee has been a "corporate yes man" for Marvel for years now. I don't take too much stock in his opinion on modern day superhero comics and movies.

Also, didn't Sam Raimi state that Spider-Man would have organic webshooters in the film because he(Raimi) as a teenager would not have been able to make mechanical webshooters...so Peter Parker couldn't have either. Where does all this organic web fluid come from anyway? He sure is able to produce large quantities of it without a giant websack attached to him.

Organic webshooters were a pointless and completely unnecessary change...just like Wolverine's claws springing out from between his fingers rather than the back of his hands.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

JeyNyce

Yea, the organic webshooter was made because "in the real world, how could a teenager make webshooters"  The fact that Peter was pretty darn smart and may be able to create them was thrown out the window.

Talavar

The problem with inventing webshooters isn't just that most teenagers couldn't invent them, it's that no one can invent them.  Artificial webbing like spidey's has been pursued by scientists for quite some time with little success; having Peter Parker invent them in his bedroom doesn't just make him smart, but a super-duper genius.  Making him a guy with spider-powers and a super-duper genius ala Iron Man has never sat well with me.

That, and shooting webs are about the one actual spider power Spider-man has.  The rest are just generic bug powers (spiders aren't strong for their size, nor do they have particularly fast reflexes).

catwhowalksbyhimself

The 90's cartoon series explained it as Spiderman's powers giving him an instinctive understanding of web chemistry.  That combines with his scientific skills allows him to create the web formula.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

thalaw2

Ok...so we believe that no teenage boy could create webshooters, but we can swallow that he's one hell of a seamstress!  I didn't see one sewing machine in his bedroom or apartment for putting together those nice Spidy costumes.  Are we to believe that Petey woke up in the middle of the night an snook down to Aunt May's sewing machine?  How many mediocre Spidey costumes have we seen in "real life"?
革命不会被电视转播

Sevenforce

I'd love to see the costume thing addressed in the new movie...I mean, it wouldn't even take 20 seconds, and you could probably tie it into a one-liner during battle or something.

Organic Webshooters never bothered me, beyond taking away the "Spidey is actually *smart*, guys" aspect of the character. He's not Iron Man level smart, but he's still worked with Reed Richards on several occasions, and outsmarted many, many a bad guy who ARE Iron Man level smart.

On a more non-geeky note, I mentioned the fact there was a new spidey movie coming out at a family gathering. One of my nephews got into a discussion over it. He's not a HUGE fan, but he's watched all three of the previous movies. He pretty much summed up my opinion of it. Don't get me wrong, I hope it does well, but the whole situation leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It pulls me out of fantasy land and into "realising this is just a business" land

"Spiderman 4! I wonder if they'll bring back the goblin"

"Uhhh...its a reboot"

"What? Why?"

"...I'll put it down to company politics"

"That sucks"
I so need booze -_-

BentonGrey

I never understood the backlash from the organic web-shooters either.  I don't feel like it really took anything away from the character, instead, it gave us a few more minutes of screen time to focus on more important things.  Instead of having to spend screen time on his creation of the gadget, we get about 5 seconds of him looking at his wrist, and then on with the movie.

The Vulteress thing is one of the reasons that Raimi walked away from the film.  The suits were trying to force Black Cat on him, and he didn't want to do that.  He wanted to use the Vulture, and they responded in typical Hollywood ignorance, trying to force a female villain down his throat.  After the less than stellar results of their last attempt to force the director to use a character he didn't want to, you'd think that they would have learned.  Oh...wait....that's right, it made money, so they didn't care.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

TheMarvell

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 05, 2010, 04:26:43 AM
I never understood the backlash from the organic web-shooters either.  I don't feel like it really took anything away from the character, instead, it gave us a few more minutes of screen time to focus on more important things.  Instead of having to spend screen time on his creation of the gadget, we get about 5 seconds of him looking at his wrist, and then on with the movie.

Exactly. I understand Spider-Man being a scientist is part of his character, but web-shooters aren't. It actually detracts from what makes the character so popular, which is how easy it is to relate to him. Augmenting powers with inventions is something right up Iron Man's or Batman's alley, and regardless of it being how it was in the original comics, I always thought this was one of the weakest aspects of Spider-Man. In fact, I think most of the backlash comes from the mere fact of it being different from the comics, without ever taking into consideration that maybe the original comics weren't perfect.

I know this is all nerd-rage bs, but we're talking about superheroes here, and organic web-shooters are being analyzed by questioning where he stores the webs?  :huh:

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 05, 2010, 04:26:43 AMThe Vulteress thing is one of the reasons that Raimi walked away from the film.  The suits were trying to force Black Cat on him, and he didn't want to do that.  He wanted to use the Vulture, and they responded in typical Hollywood ignorance, trying to force a female villain down his throat.  After the less than stellar results of their last attempt to force the director to use a character he didn't want to, you'd think that they would have learned.  Oh...wait....that's right, it made money, so they didn't care.

So did the suits just want Black Cat? Or Vulture and Black Cat? I thought I read somewhere that one of the suits (probably Avi Arad) was really, really against using Vulture in the film at all (probably believing it'd be ridiculous to market an old man villain as a toy to kids. We all know how much Arad likes the toy angle) and that's why Raimi left. I didn't know Black Cat was also the issue. But regardless, if Raimi had his way with the 4th film, we'd be seeing Vulture as the main villain, and "Vulturess" as the secondary villain (at least how I understood it). The nerdrage if that came true would be tremendous, and certainly much more understandable than organic webshooters, the exact angle wolverines claws come out, and the exact inch of how tall Tony Stark should be. >_>

Previsionary

I think the organic web shooter hatred stems from 2 specific things: 1) Nostalgia is playing a factor. Spidey has always used web shooters and that was his first display of being a low level genius. The creation of his wristband shooter + the liquid webbing are important parts of his origin to many people. People wanted to see that emulated on screen. It also wouldn't have taken that much more time than the organic webbing to explain. A quick scene showing him working on it and then another where he's using it were all that were needed at the least.  2) The organic hate grew stronger after JMS tried to implement it into the actual Spidey books along with the spider totem/mysticism stuff.

Spidey has never been completely relatable though despite what editors and Marvel try to push across as fact. :P
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

The Vultress thing, unless I am very much mistaken, was never an idea of Raimi's.  Raimi is a fan of the classic Spidey comics, and he wanted the Vulture (although there were also rumors of Kraven and others).  The suits were trying to force a love triangle on him, thus the push for Black Cat.  When he stuck to his guns, wanting the Vulture, they (according to what I've read and heard) tried to shove the gender swap idea down his throat.  I don't think you can really blame Raimi for much of this.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, I heard that was his idea and the suits were against it.

Anyhow, not why I was posting.  I was talking to my dad about this last night, and I realized that this wouldn't be so bad, if they forgot the whole high school thing and dropped us in the middle of Spidey's career.  They don't need to redo the origin, everyone already knows about that.  There's no reason to put him back to high school either.  Just drop us right into things with a new cast and a few other changes.  Viewers are intelligent enough to adapt to such changes while still understanding the basics of the character.  If they rebooted without restarting, I think it could turn out fine.  Trying to start all over again this close to the last series, however, is a very bad idea.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

thalaw2

I agree!  I don't want to see another origin story.....not even in 3D!   :lol: 

Just do it like he Spectacular Spiderman cartoon...that was cool.
革命不会被电视转播

cmdrkoenig67

The new Peter Parker actor looks fine.

BTW, I hated the organic web-shooters...They made no sense.  Trying to make it more "realistic" by having webbing come from his wrists did just the opposite, IMHO.  How did he create so much webbing without becoming fatally dehydrated?  How did it get through the costume without getting all gummed up around the exit holes?  If it was meant to be "realisitic" then the webbing should be coming from his butt, not his wrists.

The invention idea is still the best, highly concentrated liquid webbing in cartridges.  I have to disagree with you on this Benton, but no more time needed to be spent on the web-shooters whether they be organic or mechanical....they in fact, used quite a bit of time to cover Peter getting used to using the organic shooters (practicing in his room, practicing on rooftops, etc...).

Dana

thalaw2

To settle the web shooter thing once and for all lets take a spider and expose it to radiation ad let it bite one of us...then we shall see what happens...indeed.  HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! 

I'm more freaked out about his sewing abilities.  If webshoorters can be explained by him having a heightened awareness of how spider webbing works then how is the costume explained?  Where is he buying the material for that?
革命不会被电视转播

Talavar

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on July 06, 2010, 02:20:53 AM
The new Peter Parker actor looks fine.

BTW, I hated the organic web-shooters...They made no sense.  Trying to make it more "realistic" by having webbing come from his wrists did just the opposite, IMHO.  How did he create so much webbing without becoming fatally dehydrated?  How did it get through the costume without getting all gummed up around the exit holes?  If it was meant to be "realisitic" then the webbing should be coming from his butt, not his wrists.

The invention idea is still the best, highly concentrated liquid webbing in cartridges.  I have to disagree with you on this Benton, but no more time needed to be spent on the web-shooters whether they be organic or mechanical....they in fact, used quite a bit of time to cover Peter getting used to using the organic shooters (practicing in his room, practicing on rooftops, etc...).

Dana

You know what I'm sick of re: the organic webshooter debate?  Saying the webs should have come from his butt.  Webbing doesn't come from spiders' butts.  They come from the spinnerets in their radically different anatomy.   Spiders have two body segments, an abdomen and a cephalothorax; the first is analogous to our entire torso, and the latter to our head.  As long as the webs aren't coming from his head, it's not that wrong.

As to the amount of mass needed for organic webbing, well, where does the mass for the Hulk's transformation come from?  Or Wolverine's regeneration?  Or Hank Pym (et al)'s growth spurts?  If it's a super power, it has to get a bit of a hand wave just to work at all.  If it's a super invention on top of a guy with super powers, well, you've just put a hat on something already slightly ridiculous.

I still think giving Spider-man organic webshooters makes sense; a guy named Spider-man should have at least one actual spider-based power.
Quote from: thalaw2 on July 06, 2010, 03:30:19 AM
To settle the web shooter thing once and for all lets take a spider and expose it to radiation ad let it bite one of us...then we shall see what happens...indeed.  HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! 

I'm more freaked out about his sewing abilities.  If webshoorters can be explained by him having a heightened awareness of how spider webbing works then how is the costume explained?  Where is he buying the material for that?

The costume is problematic - but that's true for lots of superheroes, and hardly unique to Spider-man.  I did like that in Ultimate Spider-man, he got the costume from the wrestling company in his origin, rather than making it himself.

Podmark

I never really liked Toby Maguire as Peter Parker. He always seemed too...wussy is probably the best word. I rarely get that from the comic Peter, but that could just be my interpretation of the writing. My ideal Peter would be similar to the 90's Spider-Man show, I really loved that show. So I'm kinda looking forward to a new actor for Peter.

Actually as much as I did like the first three movies there was a lot of things that didn't work for me. As mentioned before I wasn't huge on Maguire but I didn't like Dunst at all. And I never felt the two had much chemistry. Also the movies felt a little too goofy to me, I'd have preferred something a little more serious.

I can't say I wanted a reboot, but if the result ends up as something I'll like more then I'll be pretty happy, not expecting it though. I've got this sinking feeling they're going to make this version for the tween market, and I don't foresee that working for me.

I hope it ends up being more of a soft reboot like the Hulk movie. No origin story save the opening credits, a new villain (I'm hoping Lizard), and I'd love it if we got a more relaxed relationship between him and MJ rather than the high drama they usually went for. Rather than high school they should just play up the University setting - which would work well if they went the Lizard route and still have Dr. Connors be Peter's teacher. If they do go the high school route they should make their writer watch Spectacular Spider-Man, or just hire Greg Weisman.  :thumbup:

As for the organic webbing, I'd have preferred the mechanical web shooters but it's not a big deal to me. It should only really be an issue in the origin part. In the rest of the films it's just Spidey shooting webs and you can't tell how they are generated under the costume. Of course one advantage of mechanical webbing is that they open more story opportunities. You can have Peter run out of web, he could modify them to help beat the bad guy, and they help play into the ol' Peter needs money plot. I can't really think of much you can do with organic webbing - they're just kinda there. They could stop working if gets sick, or has used up too much web I guess. But anyway it's not a big deal to me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page