Looking for advice on transporting computer

Started by Alaric, September 05, 2011, 08:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric

I'll be moving to Massachusetts in a few weeks, and I'm kind of nervous about transporting my (self-built desktop) computer. I'm planning to use the box (and padding) the frame came in, which will fit it perfectly, and to open it up after the move to make sure nothing's loose which shouldn't be before turning it on. I know computers are frequently shipped longer distances with no problems, but I can't help being nervous. If anyone has any advice, I'll be grateful.
Fear the "A"!!!

stumpy

I have found computers to be pretty robust during moves, but you may want to check that nothing is loose inside before you pack it up as well. The fewer things rattling around during transport, the better. Also, though this is a given, do a very thorough backup of your data (anything you can't just re-install) onto some sort of external media (USB drive/stick, DVDRs, etc.) before you go. It's annoying to have to spend money replacing parts or a whole PC, but it's losing the stuff you've spent time creating that really hurts.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Alaric

Fear the "A"!!!