News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Just a little something I bought

Started by Tomato, July 16, 2010, 08:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Most of those with whom I discuss influential details of my life (read: BS about FR with) already know this, but I commissioned 6 custom action figures recently of both my own characters as well as some FR avatars. Thought I'd post pics as I get them.

Wave 1:

Edit: I'm moving all completed figs to this post, as well as the contest questions

1. Two-Face aka Harvey Kent made his memorable first appearance in the two-part story that ran in Detective Comics issues 66 and 67. In that story a side character appears who would incidentally share the name of another person to enter Harvey Dent's mythos decades later. What are both their names?

2. In the 2002 Fox series Firefly there are a total of 3 ongoing relationships aboard the "firefly" class ship Serenity, between the characters Malcolm Reynolds and Inara Serra, Zoe Washburn and Hoban Washburn, and finally Simon Tam and Kaywinnit Frye. One of these relationships appears to have transcended time and space, because in a 2010 Syfy series the actors who played them would appear as a couple once more. What are the names of the actors and what is the syfy show they appeared in.

3. Most of you know by now that I am the same Antmananext who supposedly produced about a half dozen meshes in the early days of the freedom force community. However, the truth is I transferred the meshes from a separate program and another mesher rigged them. What program did I use to make them (don't worry about version number or anything, I don't even remember) and who did the actual rigging?

4. What are the real names of all five Influx members, and which 3 "originals" (excluding tomato) from the Influx universe are incidentally also avatars?

5. In the Kingdom Hearts video game series, by my count only one character has had an active role in all 5 games currently released in the US. What is the name of the character, what is the name of the weapon he wields in Kingdom Hearts 2, an what role (antagonist or protagonist) does he play in chain of memories?

MJB

Fun idea, Tomato.

Can't wait to see the finished results!

UnkoMan

Oooo customs. I used to love eyeballing these things. Can't wait.

vamp

Can't wait to see how they turn out. Like Unko, I used to love looking at these things too. It will be awesome to see how yours turn out ^_^

Tomato

I'm expecting some cool results from the loose collector team ( http://www.angelfire.com/planet/loosecollector/ ). It doesn't hurt that they specialize in the Marvel Legends line... I'm sorry, but those toothpick figures from the Universe line annoy me, I feel like if I bought them I'd break them if I squeezed too tight.

Also... since I'm already planning on getting some more figs... Here's a bit of a contest for you guys. The first person to guess all 6 characters (4 avs, 2 originals) I'll commission their avatar next time. Anyone who wants to post guesses can, except for prev, tue, and murs.

And before anyone posts that there are only 3 pics up... I know this. But given that you know 3 are mine and 3 are made by other skinners, you can make some educated guesses.

Reepicheep

If I had to guess, I imagine those four avatars to be Prev, TUE, Murs and your own vegetable-headed self.

The originals, I wouldn't know where to start. Theres a lot to pick from.

Tomato

Wrong... murs tue and prev are excluded because I've told them who the figs are, not nescessarily because they are being customized... I figure for those who are in this batch it's kind of a given that I won't be buying two of them, so on the off chabce that happens I'll just let them choose.

I will, however, say this much: The next batch of six will have 3 figures from a movie (They were left out of the official movie line and that annoys me) as well as 2 of the excluded avatars and the contest winner's av.

vamp

Is it Homeless Bill?...... Yep, Its definitely 'ole Hobo Billy. 

(Seriously though, I think the last one is Tomato himself.)

Outcast

First pic could be Ch'nybe. Second pic could be Carr or maybe capeless Previsionary? Third pic, i'm positive it's Zombie Murs. :P

Tomato

So here's what's going on with this, since I know you've been dying to know and all  :P

I received no pictures since these got to me, but I've been talking with the loosecollector crew and they've apparently just been dealing with RL issues, which is understandable. Got an email Sunday saying I should expect a slew of pics this week.

That being said, there's a SLIGHT change in the contest... originally I had planned to post the pics of each step in the process so you could have a better chance, but I was asked not to release pics of anything but assembly and final stages. Since it's kinda hard to tell anything at assembly stage, I'll be giving it to whomever has the most right when the figures are shipped. Also, just to add some extra intrigue, I like having 3d renders of the characters I send them, so if you don't have a 3d version of your av I will make one.

As of now, the winner is reep with 2 correct guesses.

Reepicheep

Assuming that you count yourself as an Avatar and that two of the remaining mystery models are your originals, as well as leaping inductively to guess that they belong to influx...

Would they be Marauder and Kid Rocket? Since Mahty is the avatar of a friend as opposed to your own original (correct me if I'm wrong) I ruled her out.

Tomato

Reep, your assumptions as far as Influx are correct(even if that wasn't my intent... I'm suprised you remembered that about Mahty though) but having said that, Mahty is not the only Influx character your theory eliminates.

Since pretty much everyone has guessed it already, the third image is indeed Tomato himself. At least one of the others I posted is an original.

Reepicheep

When everything you've ever said to us is archived and categorised, remembering them isn't much of a problem.

Tomato

I didn't really want to post completed pics until I'd gotten the last few in-progress pics up and given you guys adequate time to guess (Reep's currently winning, but it's only 3/6 and that's including Tomato.) but I got these in today and I already confirmed his inclusion... so...

AfghanAnt

murs47

That is sick! They did a great job!

Also, I never knew you were so flexible.

Tomato

pfft, you'll never know how flexible I am murs.

Reepicheep

I am *so* happy that I'm winning!

Astounding work.

vamp

That looks incredible. The head mold is astounding.

Alaric

Fear the "A"!!!

daglob

That is absolutely fantastic.

Beautiful work.

naitvalis

very very nice work! you plan to launch a commercial edition?  :D

Podmark

That is awesome looking. Better than most of the actual Marvel Legends figures.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Quote from: naitvalis on September 13, 2010, 07:12:57 AM
very very nice work! you plan to launch a commercial edition?  :D

If there's a target audience willing to pay over $100 a figure, I might consider it.

Tomato

Mk, current events for you guys:

From what I'm hearing from the loosecollector guys, I should be getting more pics throughout the week, starting sometime tomorrow (you won't see those yet though, as they'll likely be finished pics of the other two figures up top).  Assembly pics of the other three should shortly follow.

The contest is still running, and there's still plenty of time left for guesses... only 3 of Reep's 6 were correct(ironically he got all 3 of the ones I inititally posted), so there's still plenty of room to get in (don't feel bad for reep though... regardless of whether I buy a plastic copy, his avatar is getting 3dized... I've already made arrangements.)

For now I'll keep doing as I have been, and comment on the guesses you've made... but once I post the other three, you'll have to post your final six guesses, no take backsies or edits.

UnkoMan

Wow. Incredible!
They take some good photos, too. I am definately checking out this site...

Oh and contest? The first instantly looked like Ch'nybe to me. The second COULD be TUE. Well, it's possible. The third, as you've said, is you.

So, three more avatars? I could see you choosing Figure Fan and... hmm... there are lots to choose. I keep writing stuff down then thinking, "No, no. How about this one?" I'll say Detourne and AA.

Tomato

4 avs total, including tomato, and at least on original in the next batch.

Even so, you're in the lead now... with 4 correct guesses so far

Figure Fan

Umm..what the what?? That Tomato action figure is to die for. Seriously. :blink:

I was thinking that AA could be one of them, then I thought Caravaggio but I'm really quite stumped.

Tomato

Please pick a few more guesses... only two makes it too obvious if I tell you the number of correct (if any)

Edit: wanted to add a bit more info for you guys

At this point I'm planning on ordering at least 5 more batches after this one, mainly to round out the gaps in my X-men figure collection... 17 figures total for that, spread across the final 4 batches. That leaves 1 slot open for each set, plus 3 additional slots for me to cram some originals into.

That said, I'm at a loss to figure out a way to hold a contest for the third batch... the second set of figures is a bit all over the place... 2 batman figs (annoys me to no end the movie masters line never gave us gordon or ra's.) One original, 2 avatars who should be easy to guess if you've read my posts, and the contest winner.

So, in lieu of anything better, when the time comes for batch two I'll give you a few total nerd questions... which anyone is free to answer (my normal cohorts -prem, murs, tue, occasionally aa- are excluded from everything else because I've told them what I'm buying). If you already have a figure, you can pick anyone on fr for me to figurize.

As for the final 3 figs... better brush up on xmen knowledge.

Tomato

Edit: mk, so long story short, somone posted 6 reasonable guesses that were, unfortunately, completely wrong. I won't say who because s/he deleted his/her posts, but I thought the list might help everyone so I'm replicating it as best as I can (I forgot one >.<).

QuoteUnko Man
Carrivagio
Detourne Me
Billdamn
Figure Fan

Remember though guys, nothing is set in stone until I post the final pics. If you get 0/6 it just means you know none of those characters were chosen and can make corrections. That's part of why I'm posting the correct /6

Edit: I just realized I posted incorrect info... reep did not get the three I initially posted right, I missremembered which originals he guessed... he's still 3/6, just not the first three.