News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

first time drinking

Started by Tomato, July 24, 2010, 02:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

So I just got dragged to the club by some classmates, and at this point I've had 3 mixed drinks and a shot of beer. I have learned two things from this experience:

1. Beer is nasty. Aquired taste my tomatoey head.
2. After 3 drinks and a beer shot, all I am is bored.

Tawodi Osdi

In the long run, you are probably better off not acquiring the taste, but I was wondering if you were drinking tomato beers and bloody Marys.

murs47

A shot of beer? Of course you bored! Grab a shot of tequila and ask the nearest girl to dance.

Tomato

Bud light was the shot I think, two of the drinks were S-- in the cities and I've had 2 others my friends gave me which I don't have any clue on.

Everyone was thinking I'd pass out on my first or second... After watching me chug my 4th, one of my friends looked at me and just was like "f you man"

GogglesPizanno

For the record, Bud lite is NOT beer.

Reepicheep

A shot of beer? Bud Lite beer? Why didn't you just have water, you'd probably get more drunk off it.

Don't listen to Murs. Only get tequila once your taste buds are beyond repair. Otherwise you'll find yourself hurling over said girl.

Me, I prefer the mentality: if I'm gonna head into town, go for the people and not the drinks. If I happen to get hammered, so be it. But take it easy and enjoy yourself, don't let anyone tell you how much you have to drink. My first few times, I had more than I really wanted and ended up not enjoying myself. Now, my friends (and the barworker) are getting used to the fact that I start off with a gin and tonic - yeah, I'm weird like that. Its such a great way of meeting new people, having easy chats with your friends. Making fun of the people who can't control themselves yet (and knowing that you'll be the one to tell the stories the next day).

UnfluffyBunny

seeing as BAD hasn't turned up to give the correct education on beer yet >.> I'll start :P

*warning, I -am- a beer snob*

first off, Bud lite, as previously mentioned, not a beer, I probably pee a higher percentage than that...
Budweiser in and of itself isn't bad -for an american beer- as the old line goes, american beer is like making love in a canoe; *@#~ing close to water.

with the exception of real ales, in 90% of cases all beer should be cold, there are those that do enjoy beer more when it's warmer (usually the british I find) but for the sake of the majority we'll say it should be cold.

a "shot" of beer, sounds like something to wash your mouth with, alcohol laws in england state a shot is 25ml, less than a mouthfull really, a pint is the ideal measurement for a beer in a social environment, not sure how this applies to america, but, tho quote the guv'nor, there's nothing like a beautiful british pint.

keep in mind while drinking beer, just because the brand is the same, it may not taste the same, ie:
Tap > bottle > can
for example, Guiness, should ALWAYS be drunk from tap, if you must drink it at home and can't get your own keg installed, a bottle is your next best option, but you should really never drink it from the can -_-

the head of a pint, should be the width of a cigarette butt, no more, no less.
if you're not a fan of head then you may not mind getting less, it's personal choice but I find it starts the pint off nicely.
and more, and either ask for it to be fixed, or a chocolate flake (I wonder how that joke translates over to america >.> answers on a postcard)

a few good beers;
to start with, if you're in america and your really can't get anything else, Budweiser isn't your worst option.
Miller, while often scoffed at, is a comfortable 4.2 and has little to no aftertaste if thats your thing.
Fosters (actually apparently hated by 99% of australians >.>) is a pretty -safe- option, it's certainly not the best tasting beer in the world, but if they have the extra cold tap, it's probably one of the more refreshing ones.
Becks, it's german, it's got a lingering crisp aftertaste, and when you get to the bottom you don't feel like you're struggling through dregs.
Tuborg, this is my commercial beer of choice, although not many social environments serve it, a danish beer, owned by carlsberg strangely enough, as far as commercial beers go it's nice, add to that if you're drinking it at home or at a party, the designers are pure genius, it comes in a lined waterproof box which allows tyou to remove the lid and add ice water for instant coolbox, AND the caps are ringpull, no more searching round for the bottle opener.

some BAD beers.
carling / carlsberg / stella artois (also known as wife beater)

Real Ales:
ah yes, my favourites.
serve at room temperature, that is all.
notable real ales:
old speckled hen
bishops finger
fursty ferret
circle master (a pale ale)
hobgoblin (a ruby red made with chocolate)
banana bread beer (tastes like banana bread.... nuff said)

actually pretty much anything from wychwood brewery's if you can get it is amazing.

now, obviously I haven't gone into the whole beer/lager difference, really not worth noting, bitter on the other hand, is very different, and honestly, there's not many I like, Goliath (by wychwood brewery's) is probably the only one i'd reccomend

of course the main reason people start drinking beer, it's cheaper than spirits and stronger than alcopops.
of course the other option is cider, not a big cider drinker myself but here's the good list:
magners
brothers
jaques
green goblin

if you're new to cider, i'd reccomend starting with "cider and black" (just blackcurrant cordial added)
works nicest with scrumpy in my oppinion but it's a personal thing.

now, the mixtures.

half a beer and half a cider is a snakebite, once again you can add the cordial to preference.
warning with snakebites, they will get you drunk BUT you wont realise it till it's too late, ie; when you stand up....

half a beer and half a bitter is a boiler maker, interesting to try, but I wouldn't concern myself too much with it honestly.

onto your "other" options.

vodka...
it's like the staple spirit that everyone starts on, but not everyone stays with (excluding rum but i'll get back to that)
there's a difference between drinking vodka, and liking vodka.
most people drink vodka+coke or vodka+red bull (note, red bull includes taurine which is actually a chemical produced in the humal gall bladder, -one- of it's uses is helping you puke... alcohol and caffiene also rarely mix for the better)
alternates i'd reccomend are orange juice, cranberry juice, and of course, just vodka over ice.
there -used- to be a vodka called norske (made by smirnoff, about the only good thing they've done ever IMO) that would go down nice straight, with a bit of ice, it reminded me of blue ice poles >.>
if you're one of the people who actually enjoys vodka, i'd reccomend trying russian standard or blavod if you can get it (blavod is a black vodka made with chinese catachu leaves, it's sweeter than normal vodka)

rum now then, is the second that people usually start with, normally bacardi, from starting with bacardi breezers (like people start with smirnoff ice -> smirnoff vodka, the only use of which is it tastes like puke on the way down so you dont notice when you're actually being sick >.>)
rum is again not for everyone, it's alot sweeter than vodka, but it does come in some pretty nice coctails for the social environments where you're just being social... (usually when out with work colleagues for me) look up mojito's and zombie's

the 3rd usual culprit being whiskey, personally i've had bad experiences with whiskey, but none the less, jack daniels and coke is always popular.

moving swiftly onto shots, premade vodka shots come in alot of flavors, they're a bit of fun, not as strong as vodka itself, they're what i'd call "party" drinks, same with schnapps.
other "party" drinks include mickey finns, sourz, and sidekicks.
I do not include aftershocks as "party" drinks because of the high alcoholic content (drinking 3-4 aftershocks in a night -can- make your urine flammable.
"real" shots are usually the party starter; sambuca (available in raspberry flavour if you're not a fan of liqourice), the company keeper; whiskey, and the party crasher; tequilla.

of course there is alot i'm missing from this, but i've already written more than I intended >.>

alcopops.....
usually make you sick cos they fill you with wind before they make you sick with alcoholic content...
alot of them, as previously mentioned, taste like vomit anyway...

and so, in closing, despite my earlier warning against red bull, i'm going to end with a recipe for what I used to drink in my younger days approximately 9 years ago...

2 shots vodka.
1 shot orange schnapps.
1 shot apple shnapps.
1 shot Tequilla.
1 bottle of WKD blue alcopop
1 can redbull

mixed in a pint glass, will not only glow itself in UV light, but will make your phlegm incredibly think, which will also glow in UV light.

Deaths Jester

What the...Syn is pontificating on drinks...okay, who let him do this?  I mean, seriously, last I checked BAD and myself were the only one's allowed to truly pntificate on drinking seeing as we are pros at this.  SOmebody revoke his licqour explaining license now!  ;P
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Reepicheep

I think Syn just pwned the world.

Tawodi Osdi

You can get stouter beers at the liquor store, or at least you can in Oklahoma, and I like experimenting with different beers and ales.  For a high end American beer, Sam Adams is a good choice, and Mexican beers are really good.  As are Canadian beers.

Apart from a little whiskey in the winter time, I don't hit the hard stuff too much.

ow_tiobe_sb

But...but...why is the rum always gone?

Oh...That's why...

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

JeyNyce

My respect for the bunny, just shot up 100 fold!
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

cmdrkoenig67

Sooooo...you're 21 now....I don't even remember 21....Arrrgh! 

I hate beer as well, but it's probably because I never had anything but the bad ones.

Dana

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 26, 2010, 04:08:44 PM

Strewth!  All I needed to do was to post another self-deprecating message to increase my cache with you, Jey?

Right, then!  I married a wonderful woman who...tends to strike my mum's tone, okay?  Am I cool now?  :P

(Just kidding, Jey, and my spouse is beyond compare, in my opinion, if only for tolerating the likes of me. :))

And, yes, 15-year-old Guyanese dark rum is the best tonic for those rough mornings when one wishes to part with the RL due to possible legal troubles.

ow_tiobe_sb

P.S. So...why is the rum always gone?

JeyNyce

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on July 27, 2010, 03:30:53 PM

Strewth!  All I needed to do was to post another self-deprecating message to increase my cache with you, Jey?

Right, then!  I married a wonderful woman who...tends to strike my mum's tone, okay?  Am I cool now?  :P

(Just kidding, Jey, and my spouse is beyond compare, in my opinion, if only for tolerating the likes of me. :))

And, yes, 15-year-old Guyanese dark rum is the best tonic for those rough mornings when one wishes to part with the RL due to possible legal troubles.

ow_tiobe_sb

P.S. So...why is the rum always gone?

I always had respect for you obe, it just after watching Hoodwinked, I stop trusting bunnies, LOL!

Deaths Jester

What?!?!  The bunny and Tiobe get Jey's respect and I get nothing...well, what else is new?

JeyNyce

Quote from: Deaths Jester on July 28, 2010, 03:07:49 PM

What?!?!  The bunny and Tiobe get Jey's respect and I get nothing...well, what else is new?

*GLUP* exits stage left......

Deaths Jester

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 28, 2010, 03:23:42 PM

*GLUP* exits stage left......

*flips the stage...making Jey exit stage right...as in right into a pit of lions*

UnfluffyBunny

it's because i'm like an alcohol Jedi, where as you're like a sith of the drunk side!
now go build a death star while I find a planet of ewoks so we can have an epic battle! D:<

BWPS

Quote from: UnfluffyBunny on July 31, 2010, 09:18:02 AM

it's because i'm like an alcohol Jedi, where as you're like a sith of the drunk side!
now go build a death star while I find a planet of ewoks so we can have an epic battle! D:<

I'm like an alcohol protocol droid - when I get drunk I get really annoying and talk in a funny accent. Then I turn into a drunk R2 unit and just make weird noises while rolling around on the floor.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

UnfluffyBunny

yes! join me on my quest to defeat the evil darth jester and emperor that has yet to be named!

Mr. Hamrick

well, we have an alcohol Jedi and a alcohol protocol droid. 

Guess with all the drinking I did in my ... who i am kidding.  I still do my share.

I have a ship.  And I have two girls (named Bloody Mary and Brandy) and my best friend is named Jack Daniel (no joke, my best friend's nickname is Jack Daniel.  which is weird because I am the whiskey drinker not him.)

Reepicheep

With my reaction to Tequila, I'm your Chewbacca all the way.

JeyNyce

Why not, I'll play.  I'll be 1BeerOnly, because somebody here have to be the old wise guy.  "Use the bowl Luke!"

Deaths Jester

Quote from: UnfluffyBunny on July 31, 2010, 09:18:02 AM

At least, I have the better looks and I don't go around mooning for my sister..oh great Drunk Skywalker!  By the way, if I'm Darth Jester...doesn't that make you my son?!?!?!?!

UnfluffyBunny

NO! THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!  :o

GhostMachine

1. This is my 3000th post!  :thumbup:

2. I don't drink, usually, but beer IS nasty. Try some Guinness. Yes, its beer, but its an Irish stout and puts regular beers to shame. If anyone ever tries to get you to try Pabst Blue Ribbon, my advice is to decline then promptly slap them until either they start to bleed or you break your hand if they persist. Trust me, you'll thank me later. I know a casual beer drinker (he probably drinks the equivalent of two and a half to three six packs in an entire year) who calls Pabst `horse urine'. I call it `redneck champagne'!

bat1987

Quote from: GhostMachine on August 03, 2010, 12:19:32 AM
Try some Guinness. Yes, its beer, but its an Irish stout and puts regular beers to shame.

This. Guiness is awesome really,its pretty strong and has a great taste. I like beer in general, but as of recently I prefer schnapps (its really good here in Serbia). I hate vodka though, tastes like pure alchocol.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: GhostMachine on August 03, 2010, 12:19:32 AM
Try some Guinness. Yes, its beer, but its an Irish stout and puts regular beers to shame.

Ahem.  Guinness is not beer.  Guinness is Guinness.

Thank you for your attention.

ow_tiobe_sb

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: bat1987 on August 03, 2010, 01:53:58 PM
I hate vodka though, tastes like pure alchocol.

you're drinking bad vodka then >.>