News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

ATT: Girl Genius Fans - need opinion

Started by Glitch Girl, July 30, 2010, 02:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

I know there are a few of you out there who are fans of Phil Folgio's Steampunk epic (Im a crecent convert myself).  With DragonCon coming up, I decided I needed a new costume and... well you can guess the rest.

However, not being a natural blond, I need a wig, and I've narrowed it down to two I can afford but I'm having a hard time choosing which one will work best for Agatha (gotta order it soon otherwise I won't have it in time). 

What do you think, which one is closer?

Wig 1: http://www.milanoo.com/Final-Fantasy-Stella-Nox-FleuretCosplay-Wig-p16347.html
Wig 2: http://www.hellocosplay.com/cosplay-blonde-medium-wig-p-338:5489437b3ea57badbc97930299145fe7.html

And for those of you who haven't read Girl Genius, here's what I'm talking about

thanks in advance.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BlueBard

Wig1, I think.

You've got to post pics when you get it all together :)
STO/CO: @bluegeek

JeyNyce

I say the second wig would be better.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BlueBard

Second wig doesn't have enough of the reddish highlights, it appears to me.

Which outfit of Agatha's are you going to try to duplicate?

You totally need to have one of Agatha's miniature clanks riding on your shoulder and carry a steampunk death ray :D

Panther_Gunn

I was going to say #2 looked better, because it *lacked* the red highlights, and Agatha has mostly been portrayed as a straight blonde.  After seeing BB's second comment, though, I went with my first instinct & re-checked the source material.  She is most definitely being colored as though she's got some red in it, so I'd give my vote to #1.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

JeyNyce

This is my first time looking at the comic.  Let me look online for some more pics and then I'll get back to you.

Update: Looking at some pics online, I've seen done both ways, but mostly blonde with the red highlights, so if that the look you want then go with the first wig.  One of the pics I saw had a cosplayer of her with red hair.

Also: One site said that Gadget from Rescue Rangers was inspired from Girl Genius
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Alaric

Whoops- I had opened both pages at the same time, and erroneously reversed them in my mind. It's the FIRST one which says "Agatha" to me more, and for which I'm voting. I'm changing my original post, rather than posting a second time, to keep things simple- I will make a new post stating that I have altered this post, however.
Fear the "A"!!!

daglob

Actually, guys, I think the first one looks more like Agatha's hair, minus the cowlick, of course.

Number 2 is close, though, so you wouldn't really go wrong with either.

Bill, STILL waiting for D'Arc Tangent #2...

Glitch Girl

Gonna tally votes until about 3:00  my time, then take the plunge.  Thanks for all the feedback so far guys. :)

As for which outfit, I'm going to try for her current appearance.  I have the shirt and pants which I'll be putting red trim on hopefully this weekend.  The locket will (hopefully) be made out of a makeup case which will allow it to open and I hope to stuff some gears inside.   I have some black boots, but I'll need to make some bootcovers or find some at the costume shop (Halloween Express should be opening pretty soon).  Glasses will also have to be bought.  I hope to pick up a pattern and fabric for the corset Monday and see how my sewing skills are. 

Additional props will be whatever I can pull together in time - I do have a Nerf Maverick but probably not time to mod it.  if I can find a white cat stuffed toy or puppet, and a pirate coat that fits, I'd like to have Krosp.  And then there's one of these which I already have and might be able to do something with.

And yes, I'm taking pics of everything so there will be documentation.  :)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Alaric

I've edited my previous post- explanation will be found there.
Fear the "A"!!!

Glitch Girl

Number 1 it us.  Order has been placed, should see something in 11-14 days (cutting it closer than I'd like, but can't be helped.)

Thanks again.  Will keep all of you posted on the progress.
-Glitch Girl

Tawodi Osdi

Although this is the first time looking at the comic, I think the second has the more poofier look that the couple of pictures I have seen seems to portray.

BlueBard

Quote from: Tawodi Osdi on July 31, 2010, 12:47:04 AM
Although this is the first time looking at the comic, I think the second has the more poofier look that the couple of pictures I have seen seems to portray.

You're too late!  No vote for you!  :P

Keep reading the comic, tho, you won't regret it.

Glitch Girl

quickie update:

I'll go into more detail later, but I wanted to share a bit of my progress on one of the accessories...

I started with this makeup compact (which is 3 inches by 2 inches to give you a better idea of scale):
Spoiler

Which now looks like this:
Spoiler

Not quite done yet, but it's getting there.

More to come...
-Glitch Girl

BWPS

I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Glitch Girl

Sorry 'bout the subliminal advertising there BWPS but gotta use something as paint dropcloth. 

(sad thing is, it took me a few minutes to figure out what you were talking about.  Need more sleep) 
-Glitch Girl

BWPS

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be allowed to post at night.

Though I finally booked my hotel for Dragon Con so now if I see you I will recognize you and go annoy you.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Glitch Girl

quick note-  I've been missing out on everything these days it seems.

Costume situation:
- Shirt: trim on cuffs needs a quick redo
- Pants: knee patch missing, but rest done
- Boots: done
- Prop: no time to finish it, will use next year
- Wig: attained (first one was too short, second one better)
- Glasses: attained
- Belt/Corset thing: the @#$%&*@#$% thing is done
- Locket: inside and outside done
- Departure time: Friday morning
- Packing situation: HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Pics forthcoming. 
-Glitch Girl

Alaric

Good luck! May your spark shine brightly! And... have fun!
Fear the "A"!!!

Panther_Gunn

Do you have a contingency plan in case the locket comes off
Spoiler
and The Other asserts control
?  Or is it already too late?  ;)

Alaric

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on September 01, 2010, 05:13:00 PM
Do you have a contingency plan in case...

*whispers*Pst! You should probably put that in a spoiler, as there are probably people reading this thread who haven't read the comic yet, or aren't up to date...
Fear the "A"!!!

daglob

Spoiler or foreshadowing?

Bill, Girl Genius fan since #0.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Alaric on September 01, 2010, 05:21:02 PM
Quote from: Panther_Gunn on September 01, 2010, 05:13:00 PM
Do you have a contingency plan in case...

*whispers*Pst! You should probably put that in a spoiler, as there are probably people reading this thread who haven't read the comic yet, or aren't up to date...

Hadn't considered that.  Fixed (even though it looks ugly).

Uncle Yuan

GG, I can't wait to see how this turns out - I'm a huge GG (referring to the other one, but you too) fan.  Now you just need some big stapping arm candy to be your Othar Tyggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer, and you'd be all set.

And the locket looks dead on!
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Glitch Girl

I know it's been a while, but I finally got around to downloading (or at least starting to download) my pictures from the convention.  And for those who want to see how it turned out... voila via spoiler.

Spoiler

Apparently I look very different as a blond. Ask RTTingle.  He was at DC and we hung out together for a good chunk of Saturday. 

And for those wondering how the interior of the locket turned out...
Spoiler

And then there's the corset... gads that STUPID corset...

I thought it was going to be easy to make, but that thing was a frickin NIGHTMARE.  When it was done, it was too wide by about an inch or two which is why it's hanging on me like a belt since by that point I had no way to alter it.

Not perfect, but for the most part I was happy - quite a few people recognized who I was, and I even got to get this cool shot in the dealer's room.  There was a guy who did metal and leather working who made a Clank model, which was autographed by the Folgios.

Spoiler

I still have to sort through a few hundred images before I can post the DC stuff for this year, but I should get around to it eventually.  :)

-Glitch Girl

catwhowalksbyhimself

Turned out pretty well, I think.  The inside of the locket was especially cool.  Not a detail I would have bothered with.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Alaric

Fear the "A"!!!

lugaru

Great costume and I'm amazed by your steampunk accesories. I'm glad a few people recognized you too, that is a great comic and more people should read it.

SarahGibson

Do you need again? I recently find in https://www.wig-supplier.com, have a try there! :thumbup: