News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Idea Engineering

Started by kkhohoho, August 07, 2010, 03:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Hello there. So, let's get right to the point. This thread is used for brainstorming possible ideas for mods. Simple as that. But why did I makes this thread? Well, I have an idea of an own, but didn't know if I'd ever make it into a mod, and I was inspired to make this thread. (Might write it sometime instead, but who knows?) Anyway, to start this off; JSA!

The idea originally came to me a while ago, when Benton Grey released an earlier version of the DCUG, before a certain...fiasco, which involved various forum member, had him take it down and put it up again later. Moving on, my idea was to use the DCUG as a base, but because I encountered various modding problems that I couldn't find the solution for, I abandoned the idea. Fast forward to the here and now. I've been inspired by certain works lately, (such as the DCAU,) and the idea for a JSA mod/story popped back into my head, and more developed then before. I decided that I at least wanted to get the idea out there, so here it is. Keep in mind that the current 'storyboard' does not fully take the DCUG into consideration, and would possibly have to undergo adjustments if done as a DCUG mod, instead of written fiction. (Also, this may go without saying, but I may have made some changes from the comics. But with the success of the DCAU, I doubt that's a problem as long as I didn't do anything seriously wrong.)

Word War II. A significant time in our history, when the freedom of the free nations of the world were threatened by a group of nations known as the Axis Powers, and the most important figure of note was one Adolf Hitler. He and conspired to spread their own personal regimes and codas across the nations. But they weren't unopposed. A separate group of nations united to take this force down, the Allies, and they fought valiantly. But sometime into the war, the Axis gained a distinct advantage. A man of mysterious past and origin wandered into Germany one day, offering to Hitler his vast knowledge and intellect, and designs for technology advanced beyond what was the norm at the time. Hitler suspected that he may have his own agenda, but how could he resist these glorious gifts? With him in tow, the balance was tipped to the Axis' favor. His name? Vandal Savage.

Sometime after that, advanced tanks, laser, and other sorts of technology that shouldn't have existed yet were created by the Nazi's, thanks to Vandal's designs, and when they were unleashed upon the Allies, the casualties were quite vast. But all was not lost, as the USA had a secret weapon of it's own; the Superhero. Beginning just prior to the start of the 40's, various costumed heroes popped up all over the states, some with special powers and some without, but they all were more skilled and capable then the average solider. And thus, a new act was established; all superheroes currently participating in the war were to report to their superiors for a new assignment, and all that somehow weren't, being either too young, too old, or the opposite sex, were head to the nearest military establishment. All heroes who cut it were assigned to squads, each having a military supervisor, and a unique name for the squad. Among the various squads, there were a number on interesting titles, such as the Freedom Fighters, the Allstar Squadron, or the Seven Soldiers of Victory. But what ended up being the largest, most accomplished, and most celebrated squad of all, was the Justice Society of America, who even stuck together after the war for a while on their own terms. This is their story, albiet told in retrospective.

In 1951, the JSA was asked by the House Un-American Activities Committee to either unmask, or disband and retire. Superheroes had been falling out of favor with the both the masses and the government around that time, and it wasn't until decades later that a certain blue boyscout jumpstarted a new age of heroes. But the story to be told is recounted by one Terry Sloane, one night before the JSA's retirement. The smartest man alive, he has been trying to figure out something in the back of his mind ever since the war ended, but he just hasn't been able to do so, until that night, in which he reminisces about the past, and finally connects all of the pieces. But even before he does, he feels that on that night, he will need the help of all of his friends and allies one last time.

Main characters
1.Green Lantern/Sentinel: In certain ways, Alan Scott is the Superman of his era. With his power-ring fashioned out the powerful alien object The Starheart, Alan is one of the strongest heroes in his day, with few others matching his might, and the only one to exceed it being the rather distant Spectre. With his ring, Alan is capable of flying, and creating forces and constructs of energy. But his power isn't his only strong suit. Alan is noble and strong-minded, incorruptible and never giving up, always trying to what is right, though he's not a fool either, and is a natural leader. He's also a pretty nice guy to boot. Modest, humble, and down to earth, though a bit of a straightman, hardly ever loosening up and just enjoying himself, that is, until he meets a man that would become one of his most loyal allies and friends. All in all, he's a likable fellow, and a real rollmodel for the superhero community.

2.The Flash: Jay Garrack has the privilege of being the fastest man alive in his era, with the only one coming close being fellow speedster Johnny Quick, and even he doesn't quite match up to Jay. But how did such a man gain his speed? (Semi-revised origin, but still faithful. Accidentally absorbed heavy water vapors? How do those give you superspeed without being souped up? Seriously.) Jay was attending a class in college where, on display under a microscope and contained within glass casing, lay experimental hard water molecules. These had been enhanced with an experimental chemical, designed to vastly speed up the the molecules. Why was this done? Who knows? The rather cynical professor blatantly explained to class that scientists keep on making all of these sorts of different and varied experiments for good reason, and that he only had these in his lesson because the college wanted to expand it's publicity. Anyway, he let the students look at the microscope one by one, to gaze at it's so-called magnificence. But Jay Garrick was a rather energetic student, and so he raced over the microscope as fast as he could...only to topple over the table and break the glass. Falling down after the collision, Jay's mouth covered over where the glass broke, and he breathed in the molecules. The inevitable change in his body chemistry caused by these experimental molecules caused him to fall asleep, so that his body could better adapt. Upon awakening in the nurse's office, he discovered that his body was moving at superhuman speeds, though he soon learned to control it. Making sure that noone knew of his condition, he told the nurse that he felt fine, and eventually, he was let go. Jay thought long and hard about what to make of his new status, and how it could affect his life, until he wound up in a bank robbery. After being threatened with a gun, he instinctively used his abilities to defeat the robbers. Of course, not wanting to gain too much attention at the time, he quickly fled the scene, but with that act, he thought that he discovered his new purpose; to help those who needed it. Inspired by what few masked avengers there were at the time, he cobbled together a makeshift costume, and became The Flash, the fastest man alive.

Flash has some similarities to to Alan, in that he's rather down to earth, but he's also more loosened up, and has a subtle optimism that makes him the heart of the team. Also became best friends with Alan, whom learned from Jay how to have some fun every once in a while. There's one thing Jay really struggles with in this war though, moreso then the others; the prospect of taking a life...

And there's plenty more to come, such as the rest of the JSA, details of the plotline, the missions, etc. But feel free to post your own ideas, or comment on mine. And I'm perfectly willing to take criticism and suggestion, just so you know.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203