News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Installing FFX3

Started by AncientSion, August 18, 2010, 02:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientSion

I downloaded FFX3 and installed it on my steamcopy of FV3R. In addition, i adjusted the shortcut within steam. Now, wether i start the game from within steam or use the desktop shortcut, it seems i dont get the additions, for example the new campaign skills (flame cage for el diablo for example) dont show up. What could possibly be wrong ?

In addition, what would be the easiest way to get a custom VENOM character in game ? It seems i need to download a skin, copy it into the right folder and then actually create a venon-hero, is that right ? Are there any "premade" customs heros that both include skin and hero file (and mesh is needed) already rar'ed into the right folder hierachy ?

JKCarrier

What does your shortcut look like? Does it have the  -game ffx3 -log stuff at the end?

John Jr.

The best way to get ready to play custom heroes, with meshes, skins and powers/attributes is download a mod. It's a great way to start, until you're familiar enough with the game to add other characters.

AncientSion

Ok, i figured it out. FFX3 actually is RUNNING.

When using the database out of the main menu, El Diablo actually has the Flame Control and Fiery Cage abilities. However, when loading a campaign game, he does not have it.
Do i need to start a new campaign to get the changes ?!?

BentonGrey

Quote from: AncientSion on August 19, 2010, 02:55:17 PM
Ok, i figured it out. FFX3 actually is RUNNING.

When using the database out of the main menu, El Diablo actually has the Flame Control and Fiery Cage abilities. However, when loading a campaign game, he does not have it.
Do i need to start a new campaign to get the changes ?!?

You would probably need to start a new campaign to take advantage of everything, also, some characters may not have access to all of their abilities at the beginning.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

AncientSion

Quote from: John Jr. on August 19, 2010, 03:12:26 AM
The best way to get ready to play custom heroes, with meshes, skins and powers/attributes is download a mod. It's a great way to start, until you're familiar enough with the game to add other characters.

If i install a mod with VENOM, how would that help with getting Venom into the campaign ? Do heroes added in modded campaigns appear under custom characters ?

BentonGrey

You can actually open up the mod, go to the characters screen, select 'all' or 'villains' or 'heroes' depending on what you are looking for, and then copy the character.  That will give you a herofile like the built-in one.  After that, all you need to do is copy the mesh over.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

AncientSion

Thats nice then.

One last question. I already noticed with FF and it seems its the same problem with FFv3R - can you create a custom character, that, like stock characters, has two different "sets" of spells, instead of all skills in one "category" ? In addition, can you make so that u need to level abilites up to unlock more powerful ones ? In my tries, all abilities were enabled right from the beginning, unlike how it works with stock heros.

daglob

Using FFX you can have the same character have more than one form (Shapeshifter), and each of those forms could have markedly different skills and abilities. Got a charactger I call Alchemy that has four forms: an Earth for on Sandman TJ, a Flame form on The Human Torch mesh, a water from on Plasticman TJ Buff Alpha, and an Air form on the hex of one of Crusader/Saracen's meshes.

I've also done a couple of Johnny Storms that turn into Human Torches, and Billy Batson who turns into Captain Marvel. You only get to use this at the beginning of combat, but it's fun to look at anyway.

AncientSion

Ok, so i still have no idea how to get CUSTOM heroes ingame. I can obviously copy over heroes from a mod (i.e. xmen or spiderman), but i cant create new heroes. I tried doing Venom and he shows up ingame, but apparently either mesh or skin are wrong because i only get a black box.

Is there a mod that adds VENOM to the game, so i can copy him ? I tried the spiderman mod, but he apparently doesnt have VENOM.

BentonGrey

Quote from: AncientSion on August 21, 2010, 11:18:50 AM
Ok, so i still have no idea how to get CUSTOM heroes ingame. I can obviously copy over heroes from a mod (i.e. xmen or spiderman), but i cant create new heroes. I tried doing Venom and he shows up ingame, but apparently either mesh or skin are wrong because i only get a black box.

Is there a mod that adds VENOM to the game, so i can copy him ? I tried the spiderman mod, but he apparently doesnt have VENOM.

Don't we have a tutorial around here somewhere that lays out how to get meshes, skins, and herofiles to play nicely together?  

Anyway AS, what would probably be handy for you is a Herofile editor.  Alex has a fantastic one on his site:
http://www.alexff.com/goodies.php

His site is a fantastic resource for people just starting out.  He also has "recipes" for some comic characters that contain everything you need to put the character in a game.

Let me lay this out for you, AS.  There are basically three different ways to get a character into FF.  The simplest is to open up the game, go to the character screen, click "new," tell the game to let you browse custom meshes instead of built-ins, select the one you want, and build it yourself.  

OR you can download a pre-made herofile, drop it in your herofile directory (it's different, depending on what version of Windows you have).  You'll need to track down the mesh that goes with that file, or use a EZHero to change it to fit a different mesh.

OR you can do like I said earlier and copy a herofile from a mod.  Either way, you need three things for a character to be playable in the game.  You need a mesh, a skin, and a herofile.  That's it.  After you have those things, it's just a matter of putting them in the right places.  So, what exactly is confusing you?

As a matter of fact, it seems Alex has a nice FAQ that may be able to help you:
http://www.alexff.com/faq.php
God Bless

Epimethee

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 21, 2010, 09:59:18 PM
Don't we have a tutorial around here somewhere that lays out how to get meshes, skins, and herofiles to play nicely together? 
There's always the skins and meshes tut at http://frworld.wikispaces.com/.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

BentonGrey

Ahh, I knew there was one somewhere.
God Bless

AncientSion

Hey,

thanks...but...i know as much.
I successfully installed a couple new heroes (with or without herofiles) on stock FF.
But i cant get it work with V3R !

For example, i got this nice Venom:

http://www.chynaman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FF/Marvel.html

But i cant get him to work ! Its only a reskin of the male_heavy...but he doesnt show up in game. I only get the blank box.
Would you be kind enough to take a look at the screenshot ? It shows folder hierachy and the heroeditor (which actually shows the correct portrait !)

I can only assume the Venom is not compatible with V3R and only works with FF which is LIKELY because the male_heavy is not a mesh of V3R but of FF. Still, by copying the male_heavy folder over from FF to F3R, that SHOULD be solved (but isnt).

In addition, i think im lacking a proper INI file for EZhero. Because when i click on the "Advanced" window and try to select a mesh, i get a blank window (i.e. its not searching the right folder for meshes), when i DID get a list of all meshes back when i was playing / modding FF instead of V3R.

AncientSion

OMG i got it. Your goodies link had a NIF converter. I couldnt just copy and paste the base mesh into V3R, i needed to be made compatible first !!

thanks

AncientSion

Last question...again.

How exactly do i install meshes ?
I downloaded the Bane mesh and skin from fprmods something. I put the "mh_bance_syn" folder inside the folder

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\freedom force vs. the 3rd reich\ffx3\Art\custom_characters

When creating a new hero, the bane mesh doesnt show up (in fact, no custom meshes show up, only stock heros).