News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato... writes? (8/22/10)

Started by Tomato, August 22, 2010, 05:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Just gonna start posting some stories here, so that by doing so maybe I actually complete more then the first few chapters of one arc before losing interest.

Influx stories

Villains Reborn Arc:
Chapter 1: Freedom Reborn

Tomato

Chapter 1:
Freedom Reborn

It was a peaceful morning.

Today was to be a day of celebration. Today, parents would take their children out to witness the great parades and festivals, and would in turn be astounded themselves by the world in which they lived. Today was a day that celebrated the greatest scientific achievements, the wonders of magic and the unknown, a day to put aside the grumblings of past woes and enjoy a freedom that had almost been taken away from them. For it was on this day that the world's greatest heroes had gathered and, like a bolt of heavenly lightning, had turned back the greatest threat the world would ever know. On this day, five years prior, Volt had led the world's heroes against Randy Ripoff and his Sharkmen,  declaring that Freedom should be born anew. And in his honor, for every year after that, people gathered in multitudes to celebrate that freedom.

It was a peaceful morning.

With a sudden rush of energy, the calm of the day was broken. In the middle of the city, Jonathan Hansburg and Darek Barrie, known better on this world as Tomato and Ch'nybe, emerged from the sphere of magic that had suddenly appeared. Wherever the two had appeared from, they had evidentially been carrying on a conversation, which continued through their mode of transport.

"...rised that you let me wear this. I thought you'd make me wear leather armor forever." said Tomato, his wide grin stretching across his bizarre red countenance.

"The point of the leather is to remain somewhat inconspicuous, something bright red spandex would not easily accomplish. However, on your home world I found wearing primary colors makes you less likely to attract attention then a sturdy leather jacket and a metal stick." responded Darek, his tone humorless, but his eyes unable to hide his amusement.

"Hey, don't diss the bo-staff. Not everyone has to run around wielding a giant..."

Tomato froze, his eyes suddenly squinting at the area around him.

"Where did you transport us again?" he said quietly.

"We should be near the center of Baltimore, where that signal came from." Darek said, his eyes also going flint hard.

The two stood silent for a moment, their eyes searching the terrain around them. Finally, uncomfortable with the ongoing silence, Tomato whispered, "Where is everyone?"

Darek didn't answer. Instead, he moved slowly toward a shabby looking car nearby and crouched down, examining it.

"The lock on this door has been sliced through," he muttered, "And not by a blade... something clawed at it until the door opened."

Tomato examined the lock as well, his eyes wide with disbelief. On this day of all days... he thought... and then his face set.

"Darek, I'm going to track down the source of that signal, find out who... or what called me back here. Maybe I can still help put a stop to whatever did this."

"Then I'll teleport back, gather up the others..."

"No. This is my world, and if it is... this isn't your fight."

"Tomato, whatever happened here..."

"This isn't your fight," Tomato repeated stubbornly. "I don't want you all involved in this. Please, stay out of it."

For a long time the two stood, neither one willing to break the other's gaze. Darek had trained Tomato, and in many ways he knew his pupil better than anyone... but nevertheless he was unable to shake his pupil's will. Finally, Darek relented.

"I have the communicator. Let me know if you need anything."

"I will."

And with that, Darek vanished once again into the darkness.

Tomato looked once more at the claw marks scratched into the side of the car. Quietly, he traced his fingers along the inside of an irregularly shaped hole. In it, he found a shard of bone... or, more accurately, of a needle-pointed tooth.

Tomato stood quietly for a moment, his hands rubbing against the sides of his arms. Months before, he had looked certain death in the face, and it had only served to fuel his rage... but now, at the sight of a single piece of tooth, it was all he could do to keep from trembling.

"If they're back..." he whispered, as if unable to prevent himself from giving his fears voice. "He's back... "