News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

pumpkin carving contest

Started by bearded, September 13, 2010, 12:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

i'm going to make a 3d pumpkin mesh alpha enabled so skinners can "carve" it out. i'll make the mesh in the morning, just posting this to see if there is any interest in it. i've even got an idea for how to do the flickering fire light inside.
being that it is a 'contest' i've also got a prize in mind. i'm guessing with the quality of our skinners i'll have to pick the winner at random, or whichever one appeals to me, which is fairly random anyway.
multiple entries welcome, i'm looking for classic, creative, theme, anything you can think of really.

murs47

This sounds like fun. Let's do eet!

Podmark

Neat idea. If I can think of something I'd join in.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

crimsonquill

Sounds like fun.. plus it would be cool to see all of the pumpkins done used in a map somewhere.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

daglob

Quote from: crimsonquill on September 13, 2010, 01:56:44 AM
Sounds like fun.. plus it would be cool to see all of the pumpkins done used in a map somewhere.

- CQ

I like that idea. I'd like the pumpkin too, if for no other reason than I might do a Headless Horseman sometime. Oh, and enter the contest.

Which reminds me, I need to do a FF1 Scarecrow of Romney Marsh...

bearded

simple base. sleepy now. rest first then i'll unwrap it next and make it available.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: bearded on September 13, 2010, 02:56:32 PM

simple base. sleepy now. rest first then i'll unwrap it next and make it available.

I'll give this a go-go.

bearded

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AJyPTE8MDZaDm6r3X--vVHTJ-BIFnGwwpTvuo4eAW2K15rex3-kagXTkMSBbtqgXq_EYnr56Z5xmzAcLog8i/pumpkin.ace
i think this link should work, otherwise:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Beardedinlairmeshes3/files/
and look for pumpkin.ace
the skin is named male_basic, but mapping is different. the front is planar, and the back is cylinder, so you can carve on the back or the front, depending on which mapping style you prefer.
when you skin male basic, alpha cut the shapes out, then make the amber.tga skin with the same alpha cut shapes for the inside of the pumpkin. basically you could save male_basic.tga as amber.tga to see what i mean. make the explosion skin be a fire texture. bah, i don't need to tell you skinners how to do what you do, just wanted to be sure what i made was understood.

bearded

i've got an idea for 3 prizes. the three contests will be classic, avatar, and creative.
classic is a traditional jack o lantern.
avatar should be a pumpkin carved based no your own, or someone elses avatar, but if you make someone else, they will probably benefit most from that prize. avatar can be based on any character, not just fr avatars.
creative is anything else you can think of.
time limit rules:
classic, due to my eagerness, the classic contest is a time based one. to give everyone interested a fair chance, i will announce in the next couple of days when, and whoever posts the classic jack first wins that prize. go ahead and create one while waiting, it's a first post that wins it.
avatar time will be now until Halloween, if there are enough entries, i will do a weekly prize every friday.
creative is the big jackpot prize, picked October 26.
this would be a good chance for new skinners to try also! basic shapes, just like with real pumpkin carving.

bearded

classic time! first skin of a classic jack o lantern wins the prize. i have some runner up prizes as well, so don't be deterred.
and the first avatar challenge is for friday, if anyone has ideas.

ready, set go!

daglob

C'mon, somebody has to do better than this. I haven't converted the mesh to FFv3R yet (the video card does not like FF1 and alpha channels), so this is all I have. I just did this to see what it looked like, sad, pathetic little thing that it is.

bearded

you've got to give the fire texture a skin! and the amber.tga needs an alpha channel cut out also.

John Jr.

OK, I never saw a classic jack o lantern outside comic books and cartoons (we don't have this tradition here in Brazil), but I hope this will be enough.

bearded

awesomeness guys! email me your skins and i will start working on the first 2 prizes in the morning. i've got one more prize for classic.

daglob

Quote from: bearded on September 16, 2010, 10:46:58 PM
you've got to give the fire texture a skin! and the amber.tga needs an alpha channel cut out also.

Ah, you see, I did both of those. My video card REALLY does not like alpha channels and FF1.

bearded

looking forward to getting it daglob! i've got your prize in mind!
and john jr, here is what your skin looks like with the amber tga colored white instead of orange, just to show you:

i'm making your prize in the morning as the first runner up, after daglob, and i'll use your orange for the inner rind if you like.

John Jr.

I liked the change a lot, Bearded. Let's keep the amber white.

bearded

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Beardedinlairmeshes3/files/John_Jr/
for the legion of superheroes, it is a pumpkin drop! it could be used by the white witch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Witch_%28comics%29
or maybe mordru. set it up in ffedit like usual, i tested it as a direct power, it might work as a projectile, not sure. edit: it totally works as a projectile. set ffedit with start:weapon core:centre end:centre
i also recommend fire damage, due to the end.nif and small area. for the sound fx i used screamc anvil_drop and explosion5.
john jr's fx prize. probably will work for  :ffvstr: . how does one convert fx?
i'll do daglobs tomorrow, if i get the skin tonight. i've got a neat idea for his. something way different.
here's a better shot of daglob's: