An open offer to all retired/permanently burned out skinners

Started by Tomato, August 23, 2010, 03:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Cross posted from my thread in the meshing board:

Quote from: Tomato on August 23, 2010, 02:16:39 AM
Just wanted to add that I've made some more creations today, but I'll leave those for Pod to preview at his own pace (trust me, it'll take more to skin them then it did to mesh). Those, along with the Bat-villainesses and the avatar mesh, are part of a series of collaborations I'm doing with several of the board's skinners. I've offered to collaborate with another person already, but just to add some fun to the mix... I have an additional offer.

In an attempt to bring back some of the life to FR, I will do mesh pieces for at least one collaboration with every skinner willing to come out of retirement/burnout and do at least 5 more skins. Granted, I'll still get final say as to whether I'm willing to work on a particular project, but still.

So here's the deal with this: Obviously when I'm talking about skinners, I'm not talking about the people who showed up, made a whopping two skins, and then vanished because "ZOMG it's too hard!" No, I'm talking about guys like Toxic J, Revenant, Carrivagio, Billdamn, Afghan Ant (HINT. GIANT FREAKIN HINT)... people whose return would benefit the community. Because right now there's what, maybe 7 active skinners? I remember when not posting for a day would put your thread halfway down the page, but right now I could leave for 2 months and find mine still on the first page. If doing about 10 minutes of meshing can change that, well then bring it on.

BentonGrey

Good man 'Mato!  Here's hoping you lure some folks back. :D  Mind if I attempt to sweeten the pot?  For the first skinner to take 'Mato up on his offer, I'll match it with a one mission (maybe more, if the topic interests me) EZScripted mod with characters and setting of your choice!  Just let me know what you want to happen, and I'll put it together for you.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

John Jr.

OK, guys, we have one of our best artists and one of our best writers calling for you. What else an artist could ask for?
Great idea, Tomato, and great follow up, Benton. I hope we'll get some returns. 

murs47

And I'll create the readme.txt and portrait.tga for the second person that takes up tomato's offer! BAM!

Cyber Burn

You guys are putting out one heck of a sweet offer. I hope that there are alot of takers on this.

Artemis

You guys are being very generous, people would be very silly to not take you up on your offers. I hope more skinners come back to FR.

The Hitman

Am I eligible? I did a couple dozen back in the day. If I am, I'd totally be up for this.

AfghanAnt

Tomato

Quote from: The Hitman on August 23, 2010, 02:49:38 PM
Am I eligible? I did a couple dozen back in the day. If I am, I'd totally be up for this.

I'd say so. I've seen some of the skins you've done, they're pretty good.

Join us AA... you know you want to.

billdamn22

I may or may not be interested. Losing everything and starting anew intimidates me beyond belief. I have to think about it, but I completely support this endeavor to bring some life back to these forums.

deano_ue

get in there, if not i'll hack your accounts and get in my own requests

daglob

Quote from: billdamn22 on August 23, 2010, 07:36:14 PM
I may or may not be interested. Losing everything and starting anew intimidates me beyond belief. I have to think about it, but I completely support this endeavor to bring some life back to these forums.

Ah, but what better time to get back into the game; it will be like you are starting over after having been to the future and knowning everything that will happen.

BentonGrey

I'll expand my offer, let's say the first three comers will get EZScripted mod missions! :thumbup:  Get in there guys!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Podmark

My fellow forumers it is with deepest regrets that I must announce my retirement effective today. The grind of making skins has just been too much lately and I have to concentrate on other projects.

Good news everyone! I've decided to come out of retirement! I just missed you guys so much. And now that I'm a returning skinner I'll take advantage of these generous offers  :thumbup:

In all honesty it's a great offer. Tomato does some great work. I hope some of you take it up.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

laughing paradox

Quote from: Podmark on August 23, 2010, 08:49:33 PM
My fellow forumers it is with deepest regrets that I must announce my retirement effective today. The grind of making skins has just been too much lately and I have to concentrate on other projects.

Good news everyone! I've decided to come out of retirement! I just missed you guys so much. And now that I'm a returning skinner I'll take advantage of these generous offers  :thumbup:

In all honesty it's a great offer. Tomato does some great work. I hope some of you take it up.

Haha, I wanted to post something similar. It would be great to see many return to the fold, so it's a really nice offer, guys.

murs47

At first is was like :) then I went :(

Just stay retired Pod. Remember MJ and the Wizards.

Thunder

I would definitely be up for this.   I have been known to skin a bit.  Here's something I've never released before:

Kenn

I don't know if I count as retired or just semi-retired.  It sounds like a good deal.  But if I am eligible, I'll have to decline.

EZScripted mods mean nothing to someone who is :ff: only. And honestly my sense of aesthetics for the game didn't shift in the same direction as most of the community's a long time ago.  That's the real reason my releasable output slowed to a trickle.  Tomato's meshes are good enough that they shouldn't be dismissed because of the default skin.
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

deano_ue

Quote from: Podmark on August 23, 2010, 08:49:33 PM

it didn't work for me, it's sure as hell not going to work for you :P

John Jr.

Quote from: Kenn on August 23, 2010, 09:33:25 PM
I don't know if I count as retired or just semi-retired.  It sounds like a good deal.  But if I am eligible, I'll have to decline.

EZScripted mods mean nothing to someone who is :ff: only. And honestly my sense of aesthetics for the game didn't shift in the same direction as most of the community's a long time ago.  That's the real reason my releasable output slowed to a trickle.  Tomato's meshes are good enough that they shouldn't be dismissed because of the default skin.

As someone who likes a lot your skopes and skins I hope you change your mind, Ken. It's great to have so many different artistic styles around and your creations have a great, classic look that is unique.

Tomato

Just sent Benton the list of the first 3 people who either contacted me directly or posted here (counting Hitman). I'll leave it to him to contact those individuals for their mods.

To everyone who has or will take me up on it, send me a list of possible projects (at least 4) and we'll see what interests me.

Cyber Burn

Congrats to those who took up Tomato's and Benton's offer, I look forward to seeing the results.

AA, I really hope that you were one of the takers here.

This kind of positive encouragement and teamwork is part of the reason why I will stay on these boards as long as I'm able. Thanks guys.

Tomato

Quote from: Cyber Burn on August 23, 2010, 11:50:41 PM
Congrats to those who took up Tomato's and Benton's offer, I look forward to seeing the results.

So do I... and a congrats to whomever takes up mine in the future.

Quote from: Cyber Burn on August 23, 2010, 11:50:41 PM
This kind of positive encouragement and teamwork is part of the reason why I will stay on these boards as long as I'm able. Thanks guys.

We are kinda awesome  :P

BentonGrey

God Bless

daglob

Quote from: John Jr. on August 23, 2010, 09:52:22 PM

As someone who likes a lot your skopes and skins I hope you change your mind, Ken. It's great to have so many different artistic styles around and your creations have a great, classic look that is unique.

Yeah... what he said.

Scorpion13mk2

All I can say, Kenn, is that I always really enjoyed your stuff. I really hope you take them up on the offer.

bearded

i've said it before. i like ken's work, they really go well with the head nif's, something i'm into.
expressions, and teeth are awesome on skins, but for head nif work you want the 'bland' expression, so you can really morph the proper expressions with the max. morphing anger onto a smiling nightcrawler is tuff.
not downplaying anyone by the way! i haven't met a skinner i didn't love. skinning is so much harder than meshing. even the simple things like photo manip skinning is very hard for me.

AfghanAnt

growlermike

Shane come back!!!.......

Sorry wrong hero(es)

Kenn & AA come back (alright I'm old)!!!

steamteck

Quote from: John Jr. on August 23, 2010, 09:52:22 PM

I've always loved your stuff. You were the daglob before he was.( Plus you finally gave me my Darna!) I aleays look forward to something new from you. I was so glad when you started producing new stuff again.