News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Say the magic words! (trivia game)

Started by Glitch Girl, October 04, 2010, 05:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

Had a very strange (yet fun) conversation this weekend, which inspired this.  The object is to guess who says these magic words and from what series/show/whatever it appears.  Some are going to be easy, others... not so much.  

1. Azarath Metrion Zinthos! (Answered by JKCarrier)

2. Expecto Patronum! (Answered by Reep)

3. Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo! (Answered by Reep)

4. Ancient Spirits of Evil...  (Answered by Hamrick)

5. Yapple Dapple! (Answered by JKCarrier)

6. Ooo eee ooo-ah-ah ting tang walla-walla bing-bang!  (Answered by Reep)

7. Cigam dias ni esrever  (Answered by Hamrick)

8. Tomei ningen! (Answered by Hamrick)

9. A la peanut butter sandwiches!  (Answered by doctorchallenger)

10. Abracawhatchacadaveracallit! (Answered by me)

11. Sim Sim Salabim! (Answered by JKCarrier)

12. Mekka-Lekka-Hi, Mekka-Hiney-Ho!  (Answered by Hamrick)

13. Walla Walla Washington! (Excellent answer by Hamrick, but not what I was looking for, Answered by Viking )

BONUS (because this one is hard to come by, but I've always liked it): Pyrzqxgl! (Answered by Hamrick)

Good luck!  I'll check in later to see how y'all are doing.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Reepicheep

I'll get some of these easier ones.

2. Harry Potter, various.

3. Cinderella's fairy godmother.

6. The witchdoctor. And it NEVER works.

JKCarrier

1. Raven (Teen Titans)
5. Babu (Jeanie)
11. Hadji (Jonny Quest)

Glitch Girl

Nicely done so far, 6 for 6, (though I would have liked it if you'd said what the Witch Doctor is in, Reep). 

8 to go!
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 04, 2010, 05:15:47 PM
Had a very strange (yet fun) conversation this weekend, which inspired this.  The object is to guess who says these magic words and from what series/show/whatever it appears.  Some are going to be easy, others... not so much.  

4. Ancient Spirits of Evil...

7. Cigam dias ni esrever

9. A la peanut butter sandwiches!

12. Mekka-Lekka-Hi, Mekka-Hiney-Ho!

13. Walla Walla Washington!

4. Thundercats - Mum-ra

7. Zatanna (shocked no one got this already)

9. The Muppets

12.  Pee Wee's Playhouse (and this explains a lot about Paul Rebeuns on some level) I forget the guy's name.

13. the 1953 of "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court"

doctorchallenger

Glitch Girl

I'm going to give Doc Challenger #9 because I consider the Muppet Show and Sesame Street separate entities, and he named the caster.  Even so, Hamrick got #4, #7, and part of #12 (still looking for the caster's name).

As for #13, I completely forgot about that scene, so I'm going to give partial credit.  It's not the source I was looking for, but it's a very viable answer none the less.

I'll say this about the remaining three with no guesses:  I'm sure someone here is going to recognize #8, #10 is going to be very tough as I couldn't find the exact spelling online, and #13 while is searchable, is one I really don't expect anyone to get, but you never know. 
-Glitch Girl

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 04, 2010, 08:47:40 PM
I'm going to give Doc Challenger #9 because I consider the Muppet Show and Sesame Street separate entities, and he named the caster.  Even so, Hamrick got #4, #7, and part of #12 (still looking for the caster's name).

As for #13, I completely forgot about that scene, so I'm going to give partial credit.  It's not the source I was looking for, but it's a very viable answer none the less.

I'll say this about the remaining three with no guesses:  I'm sure someone here is going to recognize #8, #10 is going to be very tough as I couldn't find the exact spelling online, and #13 while is searchable, is one I really don't expect anyone to get, but you never know. 

Actually went and looked it up.  the character said it in #12 was Jambi the Genie. 

Glitch Girl

Correct.  I've updated the list to reflect this.

Any one else want to try the last few?  Still looking for answers for 8, 10, 13, and the bonus!
-Glitch Girl

Reepicheep

I'm not aware the witchdoctor is in anything other than the song named The Witch Doctor by the Cartoons.

Glitch Girl

Just wanted the name of the song and who sang it.  I would also accept the Chipmunks since they did the most known covers of the song. 
-Glitch Girl

The Hitman

8. Samurai (Super Friends)

BONUS: If my memory is working today, I think that was Bin or Bini from the book "The Magic of Oz."

Glitch Girl

Correct on #8 and close enough for the bonus.  For the caster, I would have accepted Kiki Aru, the Nome King, or the Wizard.  Considering the book's out of print as far as I know (I still have my copy from the early 80's reprints), I really didn't think anyone was going to get it. 

Should I just give you guys the last ones or do y'all want to keep trying? 
-Glitch Girl

The Hitman

I only read a sample of it the Oz book online a while back, and Bini was the name that stuck out at me.

Oh, not to nitpick or anything, but I don't think I'm Mr. Hamrick. Could be wrong, though.  :thumbup:

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: The Hitman on October 07, 2010, 08:45:51 PM
I only read a sample of it the Oz book online a while back, and Bini was the name that stuck out at me.

Oh, not to nitpick or anything, but I don't think I'm Mr. Hamrick. Could be wrong, though.  :thumbup:

He's right.  I am much better looking.

Viking

I seem to recall "Walla Walla Washington" being used by Bugs Bunny in a Looney Toons episode involving a vampire.  (Which also involved liberal amounts of "Abracadabra" and "Hocus Pocus," eventually leading up to "AbracaPocus," "Hocuscadabra," and culminating with the non sequitur "Walla Walla Washington."  If I in fact remember correctly.)

Glitch Girl

Viking, you watch the same shorts I do.  Yes, that was the reference I intended.  The cartoon was "Transyvanial 6-500" in case you were wondering.  

Hitman, I pulled out my copy and checked.  Kiki's father was Bini Aru and originated the magic word, but by the middle of the first chapter, he'd already given up magic, so very good memory.  

I think number 10 falls into the "Too obscure" category.  I'll give it another day or so and see what happens.
-Glitch Girl

doctorchallenger

I thought #8 was Samurai! It is  the words to turn invisible? Because he used a different phrase (ending in ni-hai-a-ku, as I recall) to turn into a whirlwind.  If so do I get a bonus point?

Mr. Hamrick

i know I have heard #10 but don't recall where.  :(

Plus, why am I credited for one of Hitman's answers?

Viking

Though probably not the answer to #10, the fact that Bugs Bunny was the answer to #13 brings to mind another Loony Tunes short with mystical mumbo-jumbo.  This short involved both Bugs and Daffy, and spoofed various Arabian Nights-themed tales.  Daffy, seeking to plunder an Arabian treasure trove, draws the ire of its guard.  So Bugs saves Daffy by pretending to be a genie of the lamp, and goes into a string of mystical mumbo-jumbo to convince the guard that the treasure trove is now his.  Said string of mystic mumbo-jumbo, I believe, ending with the phrase "Ippity Oppity Oop," which Daffy parrots back in disgust.

It's a tangent, but a fond memory nevertheless.

Glitch Girl

ah, Ali Babba Bunny! I wish I could quote the whole scene, but some of it... well I'm not really sure of the phonetic spelling. :)

For the record, #10 was from ReBoot.  The episode was "Wizards Warriors and a Word from our Sponsor".  For some reason, those magic words were quite memorable to me.  

Good job everyone!  Feel free to post other magic words I missed.  
-Glitch Girl

Reepicheep

This must be the only game on FR we've ever actually won.

Is there a prize?

Glitch Girl

The warm feeling of knowing more useless knowledge than other people.  :)
-Glitch Girl

Viking

Here's a couple of other random magic phrases that I recall...

"Boomerang Toomerang Zoomerang!" - used by Lady Elaine Fairchilde from the Land of Make Believe in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.  I'm not sure if some of the stunts that she pulled were primarily versed in science or magic, but they might as well have been magic from my childhood point of view.

"Abraca-davy!  United States Navy!" - one of several rhyming chants used by Presto on the Saturday morning cartoon, Dungeons & Dragons.

"Charlie Sheen, Ben Vereen, shrink to the size of a lima bean!" - The Brain, from Pinky and the Brain.  (Don't know the name of the episode, so a virtual no-prize to anyone who does.)

The Phantom Eyebrow

Not to be all wise after the event (okay this is after the event but, give me credit, there is no wisdom here) but I always thought it was 'I love peanut butter sandwhiches'

Glitch Girl

Viking: I can't remember the name of the episode, but wasn't that the one where Pinky & the Brain spend most of the time looking for a Dragon's toenail?

I WISH I could remember some of Presto's lines.  There's probably a list out there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

TPE: Just doublechecked and according to the muppet wiki, it's "a la"  :)
-Glitch Girl

Viking

GG: Yep, that's my recollection as well.  Pinky kept singing inane lyrics to the tune of "What Child Is This," but had difficulty completing the rhymes.  Brain's frustration culminated in him shouting out the proper lyrics to be used just as he was about to complete his incantion to become what he truly desired, resulting in him having a big block of cheese for a head.  ("The Big Cheese")

The Phantom Eyebrow

Ah fair enough GG.  I was trawling the very back of my memory reserves on that one, so there was every chance I could have been in error on this.  As, indeed, I was.