Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Girl Genius thread

Started by Glitch Girl, October 18, 2010, 01:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on December 14, 2010, 09:28:50 PM
Official GIRL GENIUS scents

:unsure:  .....umm......I don't think I *want* to know what a Jäger smells like.  Nope, don't think I do.   :blink:

Well apparently a very Nize Hat smells like (among other things) frankincense and whale poop.   Quite the mental image.

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Viking

Clearly, they make their hats smell strong to reduce the chances of losing them.

BlueBard

Quote from: Glitch Girl on December 10, 2010, 04:34:46 PM
today's comic

Aren't they glad she wasn't the muse of... well, pretty much anything else BUT that?

Of course, I completely expect things to get worse in 3...2...

1... NOW.

That's what I call a cliffhanger.

Speaking of which, what do you want to bet that's the last official comic in the story arc this year and we cut to another mini-story?  Or will they set up some more cliffhanger scenes first?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Alaric

She's so much happier in her new body...
Fear the "A"!!!

Glitch Girl

Indeed.  Though no one is going to recognize her at the next Muses reunion.  ;)

(BTW: congrats on post #8,000 Alaric)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BlueBard

So I was wrong... that wasn't going to be a cliffhanger.

I do like Otilia's last line, though.

Spoiler
"Who would like to go next?"

I've got to say, it's probably a good thing that VonZinzer was the first one up.  After that, they would have had a hard time getting him in the saddle.

Viking

Oh, it was a cliffhanger.  Just a speedily resolved one.

And Otila definitely makes for an entertaining Muse.  I don't think the other Muses that we've seen thus far have had nearly such vibrant personalities.  I can only imagine what she was like in her original body.

quotes reconstructed from memory:
Spoiler

"While this body still pales in comparison to the works of van Rijn, I find this vessel... acceptable."

"Heh.  Tricky.  But I think I now have the hang of it.  Who would like to go next?"  That's like asking who wants to ride the catapult next after seeing the first volunteer splattered into the wall just a foot away from the window.  Mathematically, it makes perfect sense that it should work now, but...

Glitch Girl

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I'm ready for Zola to die already.  This "Haha I'm back and now I'm going to kill you all even though I'll probably fail again" is starting to get old.   
-Glitch Girl

daglob

When she was first introduced, I thought a suitable fate for "Pinky" would be that she be installed in Der Kestle as the "official" Heterodyne, always under the watchful eye of a general or two, some Jaegers, and, of course, Der Kestel. That way Agatha would be free to go out adventuring whenever she wanted.

Now, I, too, am ready for her to be eliminated as a problem.

I've long been past being ready for Lucrezia to get out of Agatha's head.

Viking

Well, Zola's probably going to be around for a little while longer at least, but I am enjoying the current takedown.  The panel that is the third from the end is particularly enjoyable.

Spoiler
The book entitled "Using Found Objects As Weapons," making a lovely "TOME!" sound as it clocks Zola, is a fun "look closely" joke that is used enough not to be overdone in Girl Genius.  And of course, it's always satisfying to see Higgs make an entrance in the last panel.

BlueBard

I'm not sure Zola is going to get 'eliminated'.  She might return as a recurring guest psychopath.

As I have commented in the past, Girl Genius tends to advance the plot slightly faster than a glacier.  This should be no surprise to anybody.  But the art and the humor are usually worth it.  Given the number of loose ends, I don't expect a conclusion to the Castle storyline anytime soon.

Viking

The smooth-running schedule of updates also helps mitigate slow plot issues.  But as a plot device, Zola seems to have fallen to recycling old tricks.  So I'm ready for her to be neutralized, and quickly.  Or if not quickly, then in a thoroughly satisfying Conga Line of Humiliation.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Viking on January 03, 2011, 12:36:06 PM
The panel that is the third from the end is particularly enjoyable.

Spoiler
The book entitled "Using Found Objects As Weapons," making a lovely "TOME!" sound as it clocks Zola, is a fun "look closely" joke that is used enough not to be overdone in Girl Genius.  And of course, it's always satisfying to see Higgs make an entrance in the last panel.

I was going to say something like, lower-left panel FTW!  It's got violence, punnage, and irony all in such a small space.  Brilliant!
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Glitch Girl

Oh yes.  That was my favorite panel too for all the reasons listed.  :D
-Glitch Girl

RTTingle

Heh heh heh.  Reminds me of same of your own panels and little details GG.

BlueBard

Quote from: Viking on January 03, 2011, 03:31:49 PM
The smooth-running schedule of updates also helps mitigate slow plot issues.  But as a plot device, Zola seems to have fallen to recycling old tricks.  So I'm ready for her to be neutralized, and quickly.  Or if not quickly, then in a thoroughly satisfying Conga Line of Humiliation.

I like the Conga Line of Humiliation idea.

"Next!"

Viking

Well, today's artwork doesn't advance the storyline, but it's quite cute nevertheless.  I like Gil's expression - I imagine him thinking, "I wish this wasn't just a wishful dream on my part!"

BlueBard

Mark my words... that artwork is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It's too compelling not to give them ideas.  Won't be anytime in the near future, of course.

BentonGrey

Quote from: BlueBard on January 05, 2011, 04:11:56 PM
Mark my words... that artwork is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It's too compelling not to give them ideas.  Won't be anytime in the near future, of course.

I certainly hope so.  I like Gil WAY better than the Storm loser.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Viking

I have heard from friends that also follow the series that Gil was originally intended to be much more evil and unlikable, which became unnecessary when it was discovered that the Storm King dude was filling that role nicely.  (Not sure what their source was, but it certainly was an amusing theory.)

Glitch Girl

I remember reading something about Gil being originally more Evil and mellowing.

I prefer him to Tarvek, who's motives I still don't trust all the way.  He's got more sides than a zocchihedron.
-Glitch Girl

daglob

Quote from: Glitch Girl on January 06, 2011, 01:44:51 AM
I remember reading something about Gil being originally more Evil and mellowing.

I prefer him to Tarvek, who's motives I still don't trust all the way.  He's got more sides than a zocchihedron.

I don't even know where Lou hangs out these days; the old bulding I knew by the railroad is gone...

I don't trust Tarvek either, but he is a good aggravation for Gil.

Viking

Thoughts on today's comic:

Right.  I had forgotten that Pinky was hopped up on Speed Of Plot Juice.  Side effects may include arbitrarily stretching the length of plot along at the author's whim.  I suppose I could hope that the last panel heralds her downfall.  But I'd entertained similar hopes after the last panel of the last action strip as well.

And for some wishful dialogue-scripting on my part...
Spoiler

Zola: I'm going to win!  Me!  Me me me meeeeeeee!!!

Agatha: Sorry, Pinky - the name of this webcomic is Girl Genius, not Girl Blowhard!

Zola: ACK!  CURSE YOU AND YOUR UNHOLY ALLIANCE WITH THE AUTHOR!

BentonGrey

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2011, 02:01:15 PM
Thoughts on today's comic:

Right.  I had forgotten that Pinky was hopped up on Speed Of Plot Juice.  Side effects may include arbitrarily stretching the length of plot along at the author's whim.  I suppose I could hope that the last panel heralds her downfall.  But I'd entertained similar hopes after the last panel of the last action strip as well.

And for some wishful dialogue-scripting on my part...
Spoiler

Zola: I'm going to win!  Me!  Me me me meeeeeeee!!!

Agatha: Sorry, Pinky - the name of this webcomic is Girl Genius, not Girl Blowhard!

Zola: ACK!  CURSE YOU AND YOUR UNHOLY ALLIANCE WITH THE AUTHOR!

Heh, that made me laugh.  I like your version. :)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Viking

Looks like my prediction of last time was on the mark - the authors were pulling another instance of "Maybe THIS will finally stop her... Er, no.  No, it won't."

Best panel of this strip (for me, at least) is once again the lower left corner:

Spoiler
The flight suit has a "Dry Clean Only" tag, and is hung over a spot labeled as "Dangerous But Amusing," or somesuch.  Fitting, given the references to King so-and-so the Incandescent, and how this must be the (presumably) improved Mark II version of the flight suit.

I wonder if the next strip will finally pull a reversal of Zola's fortunes.  We're not being teased by something that might stop her in the last panel, so we're breaking that chain of activity.  Plus there's the literary rule that the third time's a charm.  I'm not sure whether to expect that the Movit 11 is still going to play a role - the past strips made a couple of references to how that quantity of the substance should cause the subject to have a spectactularly nasty crash, but Zola seems to be dismissing it utterly.

Glitch Girl

Today's comic

3 things

1) For some reason, I LOVE panel four. :D

2) spoiler...
Spoiler
Okay, how many of you have seen those Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons where Wille E. has some kind of flying device (usually a balloon) and some kind of ballast (usually an anvil) and he wants to rise slowly higher so he drops the ballast...

...only he doesn't rise SLOWLY?

Maybe my misspent youth involved too many cartoons, but I'm predicting that in the next comic for some reason.  Agatha will be fine but Zola?

AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If I'm right, we may finally be rid of Pinky in a nicely comical way (yay!) that gives her a viable way to return to menace again (boo!)

3) Today (the 12th) the day to buy the new novel if you want to see if they can get the book onto the Amazon best ranking for Kaja's birthday or what have you.    
http://www.girlgeniusbooks.com/

Still debating on this one for myself, but am sharing anyway.
-Glitch Girl

Viking

Well, last comic DID show the flight suit as being kept in the area marked "Dangerous But Amusing"...

Viking

Well, today's comic finally provides some satisfaction.  Of course, standard webcomic plot rules suggest that things won't naturally resolve the way that Tarvek claims they will. 

In Girl Genius, nothing ever seamlessly flows from the end of one comic panel to the start of another, in the same logical direction.  There's almost inevitably a sudden reversal.

I guess we'll see what happens on Wednesday...

steamteck

Well I guess the drug is finally wearing off.

Glitch Girl

Today's comic
YAY!  Look who's back!  FINALLY!

Too bad he had to interrupt but at least someone's out of the picture for a while  (I hope)
-Glitch Girl