Been a while! Question: Can you script characters to "retreat" or "take cover"?

Started by ElijahSnowFan, November 01, 2010, 11:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElijahSnowFan

Hi, all! It's been a long while since I asked any (dumb) questions, but believe me, I've kept right on scripting character AIs, as best I can, with varying results. My OCD keeps me going, of course. ;)

But what I've been wondering of late is if there's any kind of scripting string/command I can adapt that would make characters that aren't bulletproof, like, say, Mister Terrific or Doctor Midnight from the JSA, definitely keep their distance/retreat, maybe even run behind game objects, when they spot enemies who are carrying weapons (obviously, the ranged_piercing attribute)?

Trust me, I realize that the "running behind the game objects thing" is likely way too much of a reach. So don't think that I won't be happy if that's impossible. But the bigger issue is when I start a Danger Room session in Watch mode, the characters will run right up to other characters that are shooting at them...and I can't figure out a way to make this stop.

I've used the "SpreadOut" command in scripting for melee-based characters, but I honestly can't quite get a feel for if that command even works in  :ffvstr: , since I swiped it from AIs from the first game.

But the script/command I've focused on is, obviously, "FleeMelee." Before I start screwing around with an AI and mess it up, does anybody have any feel for if something like a "FleeRanged" would even be possible, or if the game coding would understand that Python command?

Believe me, I would take any advice. As always, I realize that there are limits to the game -- I promise, I do. But what I'm running into is that Mister Terrific and Doctor Midnight, for instance, run directly at a squad of six Nazi Stormtroopers, armed with machine guns. There's gotta be a way around that, right? :huh: