News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Elder Scrolls : Skyrim

Started by electro, December 12, 2010, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

Now to pretend I did not see this so I dont have to deal with months and years of waiting.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually just months.  The trailer gives the release date at 11-11-11.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Reepicheep

GogglesPizanno

Oddly this is my #2 look forward to game...
I'm more giddy for Mass Effect 3 coming out around the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WcQvjTcxY0&feature=player_embedded

Mr. Hamrick

While I am looking forward to the game, this teaser didn't really do all that much for me.  Good to know it's coming but I want to see actual game play visuals.

electro

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on December 12, 2010, 07:27:12 PM

Get'em both :blink:

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: electro on December 12, 2010, 08:52:51 PM

Eeeegads, why didn't I think of that?  :P

JeyNyce

Quote from: electro on December 12, 2010, 08:52:51 PM

Same here.  I'm installing Oblivion right now, because I have 364 days to beat this game!
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

GhostMachine

I'll say one thing about Skyrim:

Don't wait for the GOTY or whatever edition, because Bethesda will probably hose people like they did with the boxed PC version of Oblivion GOTY.

When the expansions were released by themselves, Knights of the Nine came with all the pay DLC, but when they released the GOTY edition, that DLC wasn't included unless you bought it off Steam. That's dirty, in my opinion.

(Plus when I bought Oblivion GOTY edition, the website was down `for maintenance' for several months so I couldn't even buy that extra DLC if I had wanted to....)

daerdevil

Quote from: JeyNyce on December 13, 2010, 01:17:56 AM

Same here.  I'm installing Oblivion right now, because I have 364 days to beat this game!

Just loaded Oblivion up a couple weeks ago myself, as I'd been putting it off, and I'm still trying to finish Daggerfall!  The pressure is on.

steamteck

I've never uninstalled Oblivion. I've spent 100s of hours on it and Morrowind. I play for a while then stop then come back. I have multiple characters going at once and a very highly modded game.

Deaths Jester

While I'm stoked about this game, I am worried though that Bethsada will hose everyone on it and do exactly like they did with Fallout:New Vegas..requiring you to have a Steam account and download it off the website even though you paid $50 for the cd.  It seems the gaming industry really likes hosing game players lately!!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

JeyNyce

You can pre-order from steam, but I don't you will need steam to play it.  You don't need steam to play elder scroll 4, but then again you didn't need steam to play Fallout 3 either.

GogglesPizanno

From what I've read, they dropped the Games for Windows Live requirement that was talked about early on, but it is gonna be powered with steamworks (http://twitter.com/#!/ElderScrolls/status/103844894413557760). I'm on the side of Deaths Jester on this one. I realize Steam is a great service, and people love it, but when i buy a single player game, I should not have to sign up for an account with a service that I have to use to play the game. Even with the offline mode, it's still a form of DRM.  I don't subscribe to the software as service model in most cases (especially with Single player, Non-MMO games).

This is the reason Diablo 3 wont get my money, but Torchlight 2 will and why I've thought about acquiring Skyrim by "other means" and then sending Bethesda a check and a note basically saying "Love the game and here's the money, but I don't want any DRM (even if it's beloved and used by millions)." I realize this is just a stubborn principled stand against the inevitable but still...

JeyNyce

You'll get the game by "other means" and send them a check.  You don't like DRMs, but they make DRMs so people won't get the games but "other means".  I have to think about that one.  By the way, there nothing wrong with using steam.  it's a great service and there is an offline mode for you if you prefer.   Also, you know the type of sales steam have during the year?  Steam is more of a blessing than a burden.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: JeyNyce on September 02, 2011, 12:21:59 AM
You'll get the game by "other means" and send them a check.  You don't like DRMs, but they make DRMs so people won't get the games but "other means".  I have to think about that one.  By the way, there nothing wrong with using steam.  it's a great service and there is an offline mode for you if you prefer.   Also, you know the type of sales steam have during the year?  Steam is more of a blessing than a burden.

The only reason I ate having to use steam is the fact that I don't have Internet at my house and the am unable to activate the game legally.  Often time I'm forced to find hacks ato make things work...whereas, if they didn't require online activation I'd be more than happy to do whatever they wanted to play the game.

Randomdays

I won't be getting Diablo 3 or Skyrim for just those reasons. The whole idea of not being able to play where and when I want just sucks. Just imagine if FF/FFVTTR came out like that, you wouldn't be able to play them anymore without hacking the game.

I used to love Blizzard and bought about anything they put out, even collector's edition. I gave up on them after Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3

I used to love Bioware the same way. I gave up on them when EA got them with their new online requirements and the rush job on Dragon Age 2. EA with thier limited installs,bad service reps and plain attitude put me off on anything with EA on it.

I saw that people coldn't play any of Ubisoft's games,  even single player mode with something like Assassin's Creed 2 without a constant net connection. Their servers went down for days once and no one could play any of their games.

And now with Skyrim, I guess I'm done with the Elder Scroll series.

I'm also ex military and this really affects us. I was following a discussion on D3 on Amazon when a military person brought up the point that it basically screws the deployed military out of playing, since you can't get a good connection when you're out at sea or based in Afganistan for instance. Some of the comments back were; "Too bad", "There's too few of you to matter", "You should have thought of that of that before you joined" and "Shouldn't you be working and not playing games?"

Way to support your military.

captmorgan72

After watching this video at 3:03 http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/12/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-full-demo-part-3?objectid=93394 I am so psyched to create Thor.

captmorgan72

Vampires are in and it sure sounds like werewolves are too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3A6-MHunso

Uncle Yuan

Rolled over my GameStop deposit on Batman to this.  Don't tell the Yuanling, he's been after me to buy this for months . . .
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

lugaru

No discounts, no incentives, no freebies...

yet I'll probably pre-order this. I am weak.

lugaru

I'm so badly tempted to call in sick tomorrow and just play all day.

It is weird when I'm actually praying for a bad shrimp in the thai food I ordered.    ;)

detourne_me

This game is like butter.  the controls are just fantastic with an xbox 360 controller on my pc. everything just works, it's really intuitive.

JeyNyce

Playing it on the PC and the first 10 minutes where awesome!  That's how you start a game!

Mr. Hamrick

I only have few complaints about the game. 

1) I can't find where to buy the "Chameleon" or the "Feather" spells.   I'd actually rather find items enchanted with the spells.

2) The horses don't seem to move as well as in Oblivion.  This may be me not getting the controls right on the horse.  (playing on the Xbox)

3) Some of the armor, okay a lot of the armor, is downright UGLY looking so far.

4) Biggest thing that has downright annoyed me about the game:  some of the perks that I REALLY WANT require perks I really could care less about getting.

JeyNyce

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on November 13, 2011, 06:50:01 PM
I only have few complaints about the game. 

1) I can't find where to buy the "Chameleon" or the "Feather" spells.   I'd actually rather find items enchanted with the spells.

2) The horses don't seem to move as well as in Oblivion.  This may be me not getting the controls right on the horse.  (playing on the Xbox)

3) Some of the armor, okay a lot of the armor, is downright UGLY looking so far.

4) Biggest thing that has downright annoyed me about the game:  some of the perks that I REALLY WANT require perks I really could care less about getting.

This is why games like Skyrim & Oblivion should be played on a PC.  If there's something you don't like about the game, chances are there's a mod out there to change it.

Courtnall6

Unfortunatley I got Skyrim just as I was invited for the weekend beta of The Old Republic. I managed to play a bit (up to lvl 7) when I couldn't get on the packed TOR servers. Skyrim is awesome so far. I love games with this level of detail and freedom of choice. Oblivion was fun...but this game is far more polished!  :cool:

The beta weekend for TOR just ended...so Skyrim gets my full attention now.

And I agree about getting the game for pc. The modding communities for The Elder Scrolls and Fallout are huge! I can't wait to see what they come up with for Skyrim! :D
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Deaths Jester

Have got to ask..is the whole game on cd for the pc or do you have to have a steam account like Fallout:New Vegas?

lugaru

Quote from: Deaths Jester on November 14, 2011, 06:15:18 PM
Have got to ask..is the whole game on cd for the pc or do you have to have a steam account like Fallout:New Vegas?

I would not be sure since I bought mine from Steam but with New Vegas the "script extenders" ran WITHOUT steam since it used a custom launcher, so I'm guessing Skyrim can be separated from Steam with a custom exe as well.

Loving the game... I'm playing the same "detective" style character I used in Oblivion, basically somebody more suited to solve mysteries and crimes than fight dragons, so I'm having a hard time with some battles. Still it is a very fun, very pretty game. Cant wait for the modding tools.