News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Should I get DC UNIVERSE ONLINE?

Started by lugaru, January 08, 2011, 11:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

Since a lot of people around here got to try out the Beta I'm just wondering:

1) How flexible is the powers system? Most of my superhero ideas require some mixing and matching.

2) Are there a lot of generic costume options? Not interested in being the next Batman or next Superman.

3) How good are the villain missions? That is the one thing badly missing from CO.

bat1987

Quote from: lugaru on January 08, 2011, 11:18:00 AM
Since a lot of people around here got to try out the Beta I'm just wondering:

1) How flexible is the powers system? Most of my superhero ideas require some mixing and matching.

2) Are there a lot of generic costume options? Not interested in being the next Batman or next Superman.

3) How good are the villain missions? That is the one thing badly missing from CO.

1) Not as flexible as in CO, you take fire for example you stick with it, every power set has two trees. For example nature has plant and shapeshifting sections, you can mix powers between them as much as you like. Plus there are iconic powers that you can use regardless of the power set (heat vision, canary cry, batarangs etc.)
What ads some variety IMO are skill points, you can have your character use them to upgrade your movement mode and use lets say super speed for combat intead of your selected weapon or vice versa.

2) Kinda have mixed feelings about this. You have modest selection at the beginning, but enough IMO to make your character unique. However there's tons more to unlock ingame, whether there are boss and mob drops or mentor rewards. I changed my character's look a lot more here than in CO for that very reason.

3) I liked them. Some of them are villain exclusive and others are just the opposite from the hero ones. For example as a Hero you fight Joker thugs and save Robin from Harley, and as a villain you fight the police and Robin at the end to rescue Harley.

lugaru

I'm leaning on the "yes" side right now, but I'm waiting a few months for sure since I have 10,000 games after the steam holiday sale.

GhostMachine

If you get it, get the PC version. I've been hearing the PS3 version has a bunch of problems and is pretty much unplayable.

(Note: I'm not playing DCUO at all and won't be due to SOE's involvement, unless I decide to check out a free trial when they eventually have them. Got a sour taste in my mouth back when I played Everquest.)

lugaru

Yeah, I dont own any consoles so it is PC all the way. I'm really tempted to just get it but I need to finish mass effect 1&2 and a bunch of other RPG's I got for x-mass.

Besides moreso than most other forms of entertainment MMO's do tend to mature like a fine wine.

Tawodi Osdi

Is DC Online, or any MMORPG, going to ever offer genuine Linux support without going through third party software?

lugaru

Another question: how many character slots and how many costumes per character so far?

daerdevil

I'm not sure about the slots.  It's definitely 6, but there's talk that it might actually be as high as 10.  I only have 2 so I can't confirm.  Maybe, I'll hash out some randoms to see what the max is.  

As for costumes, AFAIK, there's just one slot that can be tweaked to your heart's desire with everything you find.  I haven't seen anything that allows you to save a certain costume config to change into later.

EDIT:  it's looking like 16 character slots.

captainspud

Quote from: Tawodi Osdi on January 13, 2011, 06:50:35 PM
Is DC Online, or any MMORPG, going to ever offer genuine Linux support without going through third party software?
You're funny. :)
I do not hold grudges against those who argue with me. If you disagree with me, it can only be because I have not made the correct understanding clear to you. Thus, your ignorance is my fault, not yours.

Let us work together to correct it.

JeyNyce

Spud, you would so fit into this game
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

DrMike2000

No. Its a huge headache for the development team, for very little return. The number of people who use Linux is small, the number of gamers who use Linux but don't have a Windows PC or dual boot or whatever is an even smaller demographic.
No publisher would ever pay for a Linux port, and that's a sound business decision.

On the main topic, I seem to be about one game behind. I've picked up Champions again and dabbled in it just as DC seems to be coming out. Which suits me, because older MMOs tend to have more bumps smoothed out.
And the whole DC universe angle leaves me with very mixed feelings. Playing one of my own characters next to Superman seems much less immersive somehow than playing them against the originals in Champions or CoH. Its like I know Superman is fictional, but don't always remember that less iconic characters like Statesman or Defender are? Weird...
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

JeyNyce

I loved COX & and was so-so with Champions Online, but I love DCUO.  When I played along with Defender or Statesman, I'm like okay he's a spoof of cape or he's a spoof of this guy, but when I played DC, I'm like "Oh wow, I'm fighting along with Superman or I'm taking down Batman.  I feel like a kid again with my action figures.  This is one of the reasons why I got so ticked off when Marvel cancel their MMO

AncientSpirit

Quote from: DrMike2000 on January 17, 2011, 11:35:26 AM

Playing one of my own characters next to Superman seems much less immersive somehow than playing them against the originals in Champions or CoH. Its like I know Superman is fictional, but don't always remember that less iconic characters like Statesman or Defender are? Weird...

Actually, there's very little of fighting alongside the iconic heroes that goes on, at least as far I've seen.  What's great about DCU is that they seem to be the ones that involve you in the missions, give you direction, etc.  In one case, though, I did get to fight the Teen Titans - Cyborg, Firestar, Nightwing and Donna Troy -- who were being mind controlled, and the object was to free them.   
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

JeyNyce

How far are you into the game?  So far I fought/ helped Batman, WonderGirl, The Titans, Super-Girl, Catwoman, Huntress, Giganta, Zatana, Flash, Grood, & the Joker. 

Spe-Dog

Quote from: JeyNyce on January 17, 2011, 07:56:49 PM
I loved COX & and was so-so with Champions Online, but I love DCUO.  When I played along with Defender or Statesman, I'm like okay he's a spoof of cape or he's a spoof of this guy, but when I played DC, I'm like "Oh wow, I'm fighting along with Superman or I'm taking down Batman.  I feel like a kid again with my action figures.  This is one of the reasons why I got so ticked off when Marvel cancel their MMO

We are of the same mind, sir.  I feel exactly the same.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

AncientSpirit

Quote from: AncientSpirit on January 17, 2011, 10:54:43 PM
Quote from: DrMike2000 on January 17, 2011, 11:35:26 AM

Playing one of my own characters next to Superman seems much less immersive somehow than playing them against the originals in Champions or CoH. Its like I know Superman is fictional, but don't always remember that less iconic characters like Statesman or Defender are? Weird...

Actually, there's very little of fighting alongside the iconic heroes that goes on, at least as far I've seen.  What's great about DCU is that they seem to be the ones that involve you in the missions, give you direction, etc.  In one case, though, I did get to fight the Teen Titans - Cyborg, Firestar, Nightwing and Donna Troy -- who were being mind controlled, and the object was to free them.   

Well, I was certainly wrong about that.  Plenty of opportunity to fight along your favorite DC heroes.  Lots of fun helping Superman defeat Metallo!  Fighting alongside Nightwing,etc, etc.  And what really keeps it immersive is how they've changed the whole night and day scenario that most games have.  Instead of changing, Gothan is in perpetual night.   Really creepy fun. 
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

lugaru

Bought the game... character creation is too rigid after CO and COH BUT the action and quests make up for it. I'll be posting a lot of screen shots and such real soon.