News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Character Replacement

Started by yell0w_lantern, January 28, 2011, 08:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yell0w_lantern

Okay, so let's say that you decide to replace the FF Characters with Mainstream characters of past and present. Who replaces whom in your book? Try to keep them connected somehow - power theme, personality, et cetera.

Minuteman ---------------->
Mentor -------------------->
El Diablo ------------------> 
Microwave ---------------->
Liberty Lad ---------------->
Alchemiss ----------------->
Eve ----------------------->
Manbot ------------------->
Law/Order ----------------->
Sea Urchin ----------------->
Man O War ----------------->
Bullet ----------------------> 
The Ant -------------------->
Supercollider --------------->
Blackbird ------------------->
Iron Ox --------------------->
Green Genie ----------------->
Tombstone ------------------>
Queztacoatl ----------------->
The Bard -------------------->
Tricolour -------------------->
Black Jack ------------------->
Sky King --------------------->
Yellow Lantern smash!

yell0w_lantern

I'll start:

Minuteman ----------------> Captain America
Mentor --------------------> Martian Manhunter (although Xavier would be... entertaining)
El Diablo ------------------> Fire Star
Microwave ----------------> Vision
Liberty Lad ----------------> Robin
Alchemiss -----------------> Scarlet Witch
Eve -----------------------> Wonder Woman
Manbot -------------------> Cyclops (shoots beams & has to wear the visor thingy to contain powers)
Law/Order -----------------> Cloak and Dagger
Sea Urchin -----------------> Aquagirl (who cares?)
Man O War -----------------> Namor (does it really matter?)
Bullet ---------------------->  Flash
The Ant --------------------> Spider-man
Supercollider ---------------> Hulk
Blackbird -------------------> Black Canary
Iron Ox ---------------------> Wild Cat
Green Genie -----------------> ?Blink?
Tombstone ------------------> Spectre
Queztacoatl -----------------> El Dorado from Super Friends (he's sort of a sorcerer)
The Bard --------------------> Plasticman (he's goofy)
Tricolour --------------------> Phantom Lady (can't think of a better one)
Black Jack -------------------> Batman (gadgets) or Gambit (throws cards)
Sky King ---------------------> Iron Man
Yellow Lantern smash!

BentonGrey

Interesting YL, and since I should really be working right now, I think I'll take a crack at it!

Let's go with an all DC team first:

Minuteman ----------------> Superman (Yeah, he's WAY more powerful, but he's all about the 'ol US of A, plus the attitude is pretty close)
Mentor --------------------> Martian Manhunter (Alien with mental powers...check!)
El Diablo ------------------> Firestorm (He can do more than our Latin friend, but he's still a fiery guy!)
Microwave ---------------->  Red Tornado (Android, check, originally tried to destroy team, check)
Liberty Lad ---------------->  Robin (Here's a tough one.  If we want his youth and acrobatics, Robin.  If we want his connection to Minuteman, then I'd say Supergirl.  Because I like Robin better, I'll settle on him)
Alchemiss -----------------> Zatanna (Magical lady, check!)
Eve -----------------------> Wonder Woman (She's often given ties to environmentalism, and she's a strong female figure)
Manbot -------------------> Captain Atom (Bear with me here, he's a tragic-ish hero trapped in his shell thanks to technology...eh?)
Law/Order -----------------> Captain Marvel (Obviously, lightning bolt, switching places, come on! It ain't perfect, but it's close)
Sea Urchin -----------------> Aqua girl (Good old Tula.  Since I didn't switch genders around on LL, I figure I'll be kind to SU as well.  Plus, Tula is awesome, and you SHOULD care YL. :P)
Man O War -----------------> Aquaman (Of course, and notice, he is taking the slot of one of the most awesome FFers)
Bullet ---------------------->  Flash (Of course, he runs fast)
The Ant --------------------> Blue Beetle (This is another one that could go a number of ways. Robin might fit here, but BB keeps theme and attitude similar.)
Supercollider ---------------> Atom Smasher (Supercollider is supposed to grow as he gets angrier, Smasher is a brawler who can grow...eh?)
Blackbird -------------------> Black Canary (Of course.  Pretty lady with a bird theme and a penchant for stockings? Check!)
Iron Ox ---------------------> Hawk (Another tough one here, but Hawk is a tough brawler...though they don't have much in common besides that.)
Green Genie -----------------> Star Girl (Young, carefree, and with a power that is pretty versatile.  I think she works)
Tombstone ------------------> The Question (While not similar in powers or origin, their attitudes are actually a little alike...)
Queztacoatl -----------------> Dr. Fate (Empowered by an ancient, semi-divine being through an artifact? Check!)
The Bard --------------------> Etrigan the Demon (Hear me out here...they both talk in verse!)
Tricolour --------------------> Huntress (Revenge driven femme fatale that you DEFINITELY don't want to cross?  Check!)
Black Jack -------------------> The Sandman (This is really a toss up, he could be several of DC's classic characters, maybe even Spy Smasher or the like, but I gave it to Sandy because they use a vaguely similar gimmick.)
Sky King ---------------------> Steel (Guy in flying armor?  Check!  However, he could also have gone to one of the JSA)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Figure Fan

Minuteman ----------------> Captain America (Though he does have some Superman traits, he's more of a Captain America type.)
Mentor --------------------> Professor Xavier (He's bald, telepathic, and unites the team together and teaches them about Energy X. Plus he ends up coordinating the team on missions.)
El Diablo ------------------> Human Torch (He's definitely a ladies man like Johnny and prefers a fast lifestyle.)
Microwave ----------------> Vision (He's a robot, absorbs solar energy, and can phase his molecules.)
Liberty Lad ----------------> Bucky (Kind of obvious..)
Alchemiss -----------------> Marvel Girl/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix (Though she has magic-based powers, many of them have telepathic/telekinetic effects. Then there's Entropy and her demise..)
Eve -----------------------> Wonder Woman? (I guess.. She's not really like anyone, but she is an Amazonian and a trained fighter.)
Manbot -------------------> Cyclops (He's romantically involved with Alchemiss, is constantly brooding, and has immense power that he has to keep contained.)
Law/Order -----------------> Hawkman and Hawkwoman (They're somewhat unearthly and have weapons. Other than that, idk..)
Sea Urchin -----------------> ???
Man O War -----------------> ???
Bullet ----------------------> The Flash (Obvious)
The Ant --------------------> Spider-Man + Ant Man (Obvious)
Supercollider ---------------> The Hulk (He's super strong and talks like a dummy.)
Blackbird -------------------> Black Canary (Obvious)
Iron Ox ---------------------> ???
Green Genie -----------------> ???
Tombstone ------------------> The Punisher (They both have the number one goal of punishing evil and share the skull motif.)
Queztacoatl -----------------> ??? (I want to say Thor, then Captain Marvel, then Dr. Fate, but none seem to fit.)
The Bard --------------------> ???
Tricolour --------------------> ???
Black Jack -------------------> Gambit (He's sly, has a witty foreign dialect, and throws playing cards.)
Sky King ---------------------> Iron Man (He's first a famous figure who is forced to change his perspective, then uses a suit of armor to fight crime.)

yell0w_lantern

QuoteSea Urchin -----------------> Aqua girl (Good old Tula.  Since I didn't switch genders around on LL, I figure I'll be kind to SU as well.  Plus, Tula is awesome, and you SHOULD care YL. )
Man O War -----------------> Aquaman (Of course, and notice, he is taking the slot of one of the most awesome FFers)

I probably should care but Sea Urchin is not really one of the most highly looked upon characters and neither is Aqua Girl. Think of it as a comment from the Greek Chorus. Most FF players don't care about Sea Urchin. Figure Fan didn't even bother to come think up a replacement.  :P

I can see using Captain Atom for Manbot - I think I did that switch before in FF1. It was either Atom or GL, I don't quite remember.

QuoteLaw/Order -----------------> Hawkman and Hawkwoman (They're somewhat unearthly and have weapons. Other than that, idk..)
Sea Urchin -----------------> ???
Man O War -----------------> ???
Iron Ox ---------------------> ???
Green Genie -----------------> ???
Queztacoatl -----------------> ??? (I want to say Thor, then Captain Marvel, then Dr. Fate, but none seem to fit.)
The Bard --------------------> ???

I agree that many of these are difficult to assign except Sea Urchin and Man O War because both Marvel and DC (and Big Bang Comics) have water based characters who, while not exact matches, can be reasonably shoehorned into the spots.

But Green Genie and Queztacoatl are exceptionally problematic.  :banghead:
Yellow Lantern smash!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Queztacoatl to me is obviously based on Thor in the first place, thus making Thor the best choice.  Both are mythological deities which replace human alter ego through the use of their own personal magical weapons.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

daglob

Well, depending on your definition of "mainstream", say "newstand comics", then:

Minuteman ----------------> The Flag (Born on the 4th of July, America shaped birthmark on his chest, leaves a trail of red, white, and blue stars when he flies...)
Mentor --------------------> Jupiter (Magician from Jupiter, hung around in Prize Comics)
El Diablo ------------------> The Blue Flame (Same powers as The Human Torch, his opponent was Satan) 
Microwave ----------------> The Iron Skull (Super-powered android) Or Manowar (ditto, from Red Seal
Liberty Lad ----------------> Johnny Reb (Bucky with a southern flavor)
Alchemiss -----------------> Margo the Magician (Quality Comics)
Eve -----------------------> Diana the Huntress (THE Diana the Huntress, straight off Mt. Olympus, from Frank Commandale)
Manbot -------------------> Bozo the Iron Man (eventually Bozo's owner discovered that he could climb inside Bozo and control him from there)
Law/Order -----------------> Starhawk and Aleta (not an exact fit, but what I think the characters were based on)
Sea Urchin -----------------> Algie (Harvey)
Man O War -----------------> Barry Kuda (Harvey)
Bullet ----------------------> The Human Meteor (Dash Dartwell from Centaur Comics)
The Ant --------------------> Red Bee? Yellowjacket (GA version)? The Fly (MLJ)? No one quite like this character before Spider-Man
Supercollider ---------------> Speed Savage
Blackbird -------------------> Ms. Fury
Iron Ox ---------------------> Red Rube (MLJ) or any one of several Hercules.
Green Genie -----------------> Magician from Mars (Centaur Comics)
Tombstone ------------------> Mr. Justice (MLJ character)
Queztacoatl -----------------> Thor (The one from Fox Comics)

Some fit pretty well, others not.

garf35

Tombstone's possession power is a dead ringer (as it were) for that of DC's Deadman, though the latter is a not quite as vengeful about the whole being-dead thing.

Tawodi Osdi

Minuteman ----------------> Uncle Sam
Mentor --------------------> Saturn Girl
El Diablo ------------------> Lightning Lad
Microwave ----------------> Red Tornado
Liberty Lad ----------------> Bucky
Alchemiss -----------------> Scarlet Witch
Eve -----------------------> Hawkeye
Manbot -------------------> Iron Man
Law/Order -----------------> Valkyrie/Thor
Sea Urchin -----------------> Mera
Man O War -----------------> Aquaman
Bullet ---------------------->  Quicksilver
The Ant --------------------> Spider Man
Supercollider ---------------> The Thing
Iron Ox ---------------------> The Beast
Green Genie -----------------> "Unfamiliar with the character
Tombstone ------------------> ""
Queztacoatl -----------------> ""
The Bard --------------------> ""
Tricolour --------------------> ""
Black Jack -------------------> ""
Sky King ---------------------> ""

Imperios

And what about villians?

Nuclear Winter is Red Skull + Mr Freeze? His new concept looks like the latter.
Pinstripe - Kingpin?
Entropy - Phoenix
Et cetera.

isais1

Minuteman ----------------> Cap. America
Mentor --------------------> Martian Man Hunter
El Diablo ------------------> Pyro
Microwave ----------------> Red Tornado
Alchemiss -----------------> Patriot (young kid, wannabe Cap America)
Manbot -------------------> Iron Man
Law/Order -----------------> Cloak & Dagger
Sea Urchin -----------------> Namorita
Man O War -----------------> Aqua Man (hook version)
Bullet ----------------------> The Flash
The Ant --------------------> Spider Man
Supercollider ---------------> Hulk
Iron Ox ---------------------> Hawk
Green Genie -----------------> Star girl
Tombstone ------------------> Ghost Rider
Queztacoatl -----------------> Dr. Fate
The Bard --------------------> Plastic Man
Tricolour --------------------> phantom lady
Black Jack -------------------> Batman
Sky King ---------------------> Cap Marvel (DC version)
Whats Up

Core

Minuteman ---------------->  Ult. Cap America (less forgiving than classic Cap)
Mentor --------------------> Martian Manhunter (because I would use Mentor more if he could fly and phase)
El Diablo ------------------>  Johnny Storm (duh)
Microwave ----------------> Vision (beams and phasing)
Alchemiss -----------------> Atom-Eve (Invincible, is that mainstream enough?)
Manbot -------------------> Cyclops
Law/Order -----------------> Thor! (scrawny blonde transforms into hulking hammer-toter!)
Sea Urchin -----------------> do i have to?
Man O War -----------------> Aquaman (because Namor would turn down my invite)
Bullet ---------------------->  Whizzer (hehehe) from the original invaders
The Ant --------------------> Spider-man
Supercollider ---------------> Juggernaut
Iron Ox ---------------------> Hercules
Green Genie -----------------> either Green Lantern or Zatanna, can't decide
Tombstone ------------------> Blue Knight (had to get some astro city up in here)
Queztacoatl -----------------> Captain Marvel (DC) boy transformed into god? Yes!
The Bard --------------------> the Riddler (he's neutral, like my feelings towards the bard)
Tricolour --------------------> Liberty Belle (patriotic gal with the same hairstyle)
Black Jack -------------------> Tom Strong (outfit and gear are similar enough, plus he was alive in WWII)
Sky King ---------------------> Booster Gold
I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart of napalm!

daglob

Somehow I left off The Bard, Tricolor, Blackjack, and Sky King.

The Bard --------------------> The Gay Ghost, Spitfire, or maybe The Blue Blade.
Tricolour --------------------> Liberty Belle, or perhaps Pat Patriot
Black Jack -------------------> Spy Smasher or Captain Midnight. Maybe even MLJ's Blackjack.
Sky King ---------------------> The Rocketeer

yell0w_lantern

I'm fairly liberal with the term "mainstream" in this regard. Perhaps, I should have said "from professional (and semi-pro) comics". I was even thinking of Big Bang Comics - I love those guys.

Daglob has my head spinning with some of his references.  :blink:
Yellow Lantern smash!

Core

Quote from: daglob on February 14, 2011, 05:34:00 PM
Sky King ---------------------> The Rocketeer

i change my mind, i agree with daglob.
I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart of napalm!