News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Freedom Force Tangent

Started by UnkoMan, February 14, 2011, 11:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

Okay, so... I don't know if this belongs in this forum but I recently had a dream of a couple alternate versions of FF characters.
It started with the Ant being one huge ant made up of a bunch of regular sized ant, but controlled by a central queen with a hive mind. Then came a strange Mentor and a totally different Minuteman & Liberty Lad combo.

Anyhow, I sat down today and wrote this:

Spoiler
Mentor comes from an alien race called the Domain. Long ago their ancestors were a peaceful race dedicated to science. They stumbled upon Energy X and harnessed it to create the Infinite Probability Device. This device could seemingly do anything, but had to be constantly kept in check. Over millennia the Domain came to rely solely on the Infinite Probability Device for everything, and its upkeep became religious ritual. They were taught to serve the Device from birth, and any individuality was stripped from their being. When they reached maturity they were initiated into the Over-Thought, a collective consciousness shared by The Domain.

The creature known as Mentor, however, was different. Though going through the same torturous upbringing as the rest of his race, it seems his soul could not be cleansed. It happened every so often, and those beings were then forcefully stripped of their personalities and turned into labor bearing brutes; Unpeople. This was to be Mentor's fate as well, but he would not accept it. He escaped his home planet, using the powers of the Infinite Probability Device to travel light years to a random, inhabited, solar system. There was an accident during his escape, however, and the Infinite Probability Device was damaged, causing a cascade of Energy X to follow with Mentor's now hibernating body.

Transported to our Earth, Mentor's Energy X cocoon exploded, bathing the atmosphere with its awesome powers, and Mentor emerged anew, his soul extruding tremendous power. He knew, however, that it was only a matter of time before his Domain brethren came to claim him, and so decided to seek out help on our planet.

Meanwhile the Energy X in Earth's atmosphere was busy empowering other individuals, in times of great stress.

Frank Stiles is an aged scientist. He sits, dejected, on a park bench. Earlier in his career he had discovered a fellow scientist was actually a spy for the Russians. Unfortunately the spy, who went by the name of O'Connor, cleverly turned the tables making it seem that Frank was the actual spy. Though never convicted, he was fired from his position. Now, sitting at this park, he sees a familiar face, O'Connor, who seems to be making deals with mobsters these days. Frank confronts his old adversary and is shot. Dying, his unfaltering patriotism is released from his body and imbues a statue of a minuteman. It comes to life and begins to stalk O'Connor. He flees and sends his thugs to fight the statue. They fail in their mission, and O'Connor is cornered in an alley by the Minuteman. He is shot and left for dead.

The statue, not knowing its purpose for living, hears a strange voice beaconing it for rescue. The statue obeys. On the way it battles gangsters and comes across a boy, Nick Craft, who is excited to see this crime fighting Minuteman. The boy follows the silent statue and watches as it draws in on the source of the voice. The thugs begin using ice gun technology which slows down the statue, however it plows through them and comes across a seemingly normal gang boss who goes by the name of Pinstripe. He wonders if the statue is in league with the alien they are holding for their backers. Pinstripe is assaulted by the statue but reveals that he has powers of his own. Transforming into a hulking purple behemoth he engages the Minuteman in combat. Nick, who had been watching from the shadows, frees the alien being, now revealed to be Mentor. Pinstripe in angered and moves to kill Nick, but is stopped by the Minuteman statue. Unfortunately the ice and damage it has taken already proves to be too much, and the statue is destroyed. Its spirit of patriotism, however, lives on and imbues Nick with great powers. Together, Nick and Mentor take down Pinstripe.

Mentor reveals his origin to Nick, and tells him he was drawn to Pinstripe because of the resonance of Energy X he felt from the villain. Nick agrees to help him track down more Energy X empowered beings. As they depart it is revealed that O'Connor did not die in the alley, and that him and the Russians were the ones backing Pinstripe. O'Connor's real name is Sukhov, though he goes by the moniker of Nuclear Winter, and it was he who created the ice gun technology. He decides to track Mentor and claim the power of Energy X for himself.

Before the heroes go looking for more allies, Nick puts together a super hero costume, calling himself Liberty Lad. He honours the Minuteman statue by using its rifle, though his primary weapon is a rare American sabre from the Revolutionary War, that had been passed down through his family. Though Mentor wishes to remain undercover, Liberty Lad insists that the quickest way to find more friendly super powered individuals is to get out and fight crime. Mentor goes along with it. Whilst fighting in the barrios they hear of a monster who has been terrorizing people at night. Locals claim it is a supernatural evil, perhaps even the devil himself. While investigating this they come across another powered duo, Tombstone and Alchemiss.

They were once Nathan Graves and Catherine Larchmont-Price, two southern kids with of a love of rock and roll. Catherine's rich parents never approved of Nathan's rebellious ways, so they skipped town. The police were called and Nathan was labeled a kidnapper. While on the run they ended up stopping a night with a group of bikers who turned out to actually be a satan worshipping cult. During a strange late night ritual the police raided the place and in the subsequent chaos Catherine was seemingly killed in a mysterious burst of energy. Nathan was hauled off to jail along with the rest of the cult, but due to good behaviour he was entrusted to be a jailhouse janitor. However he couldn't get the mystery of what happened to Catherine out of his mind and began to be haunted by visions of her crying out to him, claiming she was lost. Then finally it happened; While cleaning the electric chair chamber he saw another vision of her. Reaching out he accidentally knocked his bucket of water too close to the chair. A huge burst of charge flew from the chair to his body, tearing flesh free from bone. Aided by Energy X, Nathan Graves was transformed into an electrified skeleton, but more, Catherine was freed, having been trapped in a limbo dimension with the mysterious energy. She, too, had been transformed, gaining improbability powers similar to raw Energy X. Knowing they could no longer go back to their lives they decided to use their powers to right wrongs, as were done to them, and search out the strange as Tombstone and Alchemiss.

Upon hearing their origin, and realizing they are all looking for the same thing, the four band together. Eventually they find the demon, who is little more than a wild animal. Mentor scans its mind and, though it was once apparently human, nothing remains except an instinct to destroy. Together they defeat the demon and cage it, handing it over to the authorities. Though the police are uneasy about these super powered people, they accept that things may be getting a little more than they can handle. Liberty Lad is informed of ice gun wielding goons who have been running amok. The team investigates and eventually tracks them back to Nuclear Winter, which was Winter's plan the entire time. He battles them in a suit of robotic, ice blasting armour, and tries to force Mentor to give him the secret of Energy X. Winter eventually succeeds in causing Mentor to release the Energy X he has left. It, however, proves to be too much for Winter, as he is transformed into a towering ice giant. The four heroes regroup and just manage to take down this new threat, with the help of the newest hero on the scene, Microwave.

Good gravy! And I didn't even GET to the Ant part yet. Microwave isn't a robot in this, by the way. Just another guy, though I don't have a backstory for him yet. I was also planning on using Sea Urchin (Man'o'war simply became living water and melded into the ocean), and maybe Man-Bot... who would be a robot. Or maybe I would make him a robot minotaur and call him Iron Ox instead. Also The Bullet shows up as a pulp hero type, but I've been debating if he should have powers or not. Maybe aim/luck powers.

I've got basic designs for the four main guys, and if I ever get back into skinning will probably do them. If I ever REALLY get back into the game I might even bug somebody to help me mod it, but those projects never seem to get finished.

Anyhow, lemme know what you think. I can post designs too, if anybody wants. And, uh, if this should be in a different section lemme know that too. Okay, that's it.

Tawodi Osdi

I don't know if it belongs here, but it does look it could a good alternative universe Freedom Force.  Maybe, a modder would like to look at this.

If this is the stuff you dream about, I am not sure whether I should tell you cut back on the pizza before bedtime or eat more pizza before bedtime.

UnkoMan

Ha ha, thanks I guess. Yeah, I've got some interesting dreams.

I wrote some more of this, but you're right, this doesn't seem like the right place. Maybe just Freedom Force general? I wonder if a mod could move this thread over there? Or I could just repost with the extra stuff later.

docdelorean88

I actually really like this, and it fits the fan fiction theme well enough to go here. :) I would love to see some of your designs as well as read some more! It almost sounds like this wouldve been a great starting point for the MIA Ultimate Freedom Force. Great work! Odd dreams, but Great work!
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"