News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talavar

Quote from: JeyNyce on September 04, 2011, 09:31:26 PM
From what I'm reading online is that DC is trying bring their heroes to a more current time.  That they are all still pretty new to being heroes and so some of them will make mistakes and such.  If this is the way they're going, then why not make an "Ultimate" universe and reboot the heroes there?  Mind you, I haven't read a comic in a few years, I just hate it when they change something that I grew up with or maybe that's just me getting old.

I think because DC looks to Marvel, and, in the end, the Ultimate line was a relative failure.  The only real, sustained, hit was Ultimate Spider-man - Ultimates was limited series, and burned out quickly, Ultimate X-men and Fantastic Four always struggled to find readers and a point, and the concept of two universes of the same characters altered in sometimes fundamental ways is just as confusing to new readers as one universe with lots of continuity.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: AfghanAnt on August 31, 2011, 06:02:20 AM
Just read Flashpoint and Justice League and I am really excited about what is next. It really was a ride worth waiting for.

My wife found me a copy of JL#1, but the background on mine is orange instead of blue like the one AA has posted. Are there multiple variants?

murs47

Yep, there's variants. Did you read it yet, Cyber?

Tomato

Just to tack onto Tavalar was saying, one of the fundamental problems the Ultimate line had was that it was constantly defined by the normal Marvel U... It always had to try and be edgier and more modern, to the point that it often became more of a caricature of the marvel universe then a legitimate "modern" interpretation (pietro and wanda twincest, gay colossus, etc). I don't see DC making those kinds of mistakes here... this isn't some dumb side universe they can toss out if sales don't go right.

Previsionary

Well, actually... the Ultimate line started out fairly edgy and then when they took the ultimate writers to the 616/main Marvel Universe, it also became edgier to the point that both "universes" were competing for which universe could pull off the edgier storylines.
Disappear when you least expe--

Cyber Burn

Quote from: murs47 on September 05, 2011, 02:35:52 PM
Yep, there's variants. Did you read it yet, Cyber?

So I finally got a chance to read Justice League #1. For the most part, I enjoyed it. Solid art, a good pace, left me wanting more. My only real beef was that Green Lantern really came across like an arrogant jack-@$$. I would hope that future issues would ground the character a little to be more relateable to readers. All in all, even though I'll only be picking up a few of the new first issues, I hope the rest of the new titles follow suit.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Cyber Burn on September 05, 2011, 07:18:58 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on August 31, 2011, 06:02:20 AM
Just read Flashpoint and Justice League and I am really excited about what is next. It really was a ride worth waiting for.

My wife found me a copy of JL#1, but the background on mine is orange instead of blue like the one AA has posted. Are there multiple variants?

Mine had the digital copy with it and cost a dollar extra which is why there is a different background.

deano_ue

well batman was ummm interesting. consider me hooked and demanding the next issue

Cyber Burn

Thanks for the clarification AA, I was kind of worried that it had already gone to a second printing.

As for what I picked up today:

Spoiler
BATGIRL #1 - A good read overall, I'm glad to see Barbara Gordan back as Batgirl. I'd like to see where this goes.

DETECTIVE COMICS #1 - I agree with TUE on this one, this is starting out with a bang.

GREEN ARROW #1 - Not what I was expecting, but the JLU animated spoiled me, so I was hoping for a character written in a similar fashion.

HAWK AND DOVE #1 - Rob Liefield's art aside, I actually found this interesting, but I've always had a soft spot for Hawk and Dove. I'm curious as to how the story is going to develop. But like I said, it's drawn by Liefield, so I don't know how long this title will last.

AfghanAnt

I just read Stormwatch, Action and Detective and I have to say I'm not happy with the 11.97 (plus tax) I paid for them. Stormwatch was good but seeing Apollo (who was always the optimist of the Authority) now this anti-hero was bothersome. Though I did like reading that MM was still a JLA member (I have no clue how Johns' is going to work this out). Action and Detective Comics left me confused and even unhappy. Superman is a complete arsehole and Batman is completely unsuitable for kids (something I thought DC would want to capture). All and all I will stick with Stormwatch because I love the Authority but Action and Detective will not make it to my pull list after issue 3 (because I agreed to buy 3 issues of each title I wanted).

deano_ue

want can i say i don't mind the violence and gore in batman, i expect gotham to be a cess pool. as long as bats isn't the one ripping throats out etc i don't have a problem with it

i didn't pick up action comics but from what i've heard man is it getting destroyed. one reviewer summed it up for me, when you make batman look like sane and easy going one in the league you have problems

i'm surprised GA is getting such flack i enjoyed it. it was a simple set up and it worked

Talavar

I still don't understand how a character whose origin story begins: "After his parents are brutally murdered in front of him...." is ever considered appropriate for children, but whatever.

Personally, I'm intrigued by Action Comics.  This is basically a return to golden age Superman (+heat vision).  He can't fly, he's not that invulnerable, and he's a crusader for social justice rather than law and order.  That's '30s/early 40s Superman right there.  By setting Action Comics well before Justice League and Superman (and mentioning that Superman keeps getting more powerful), it lets DC have its cake and eat it too - in Superman and Justice League he's got the full new suit, presumably the whole power package and a calmer temperament.  As to the actual issue itself, it's definitely stronger, and much more striking than Justice League #1 was last week.  This should have been the lead title of the DCnU in my opinion.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Talavar on September 08, 2011, 09:18:28 PM
I still don't understand how a character whose origin story begins: "After his parents are brutally murdered in front of him...." is ever considered appropriate for children, but whatever.

Personally, I'm intrigued by Action Comics.  This is basically a return to golden age Superman (+heat vision).  He can't fly, he's not that invulnerable, and he's a crusader for social justice rather than law and order.  That's '30s/early 40s Superman right there.  By setting Action Comics well before Justice League and Superman (and mentioning that Superman keeps getting more powerful), it lets DC have its cake and eat it too - in Superman and Justice League he's got the full new suit, presumably the whole power package and a calmer temperament.  As to the actual issue itself, it's definitely stronger, and much more striking than Justice League #1 was last week.  This should have been the lead title of the DCnU in my opinion.

I ran across an excerpt of the Action Comics on line within the last day or so, and I must say the 8 or so pages I saw were really cool.  I like the "faster than a speeding bullet, leap tall buildings" reset on his powers, loved his "sticking up for the little guy" attitude and the kind of classic rough and tumble approach to getting the bad guys to talk.  I'm not super wild about the home made costume look though.  I'd definitely pick this one up!

I don't think this is the one I was reading, but it's the same series of pages: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/02/action-comics-1-preview-morrison-morales/
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

John Jr.

Morrison said in a interview he wanted the younger version of Superman to be kinda of brash and overconfident, but it will change when he "grows up". And I agree with Talavar, the "New" Superman is a return to his original roots as a super strong "Robin Hood", In the 40's Supes menaced crooked politicians and tycoons to make them confess their crimes. He was an outlaw, because he broke laws while fighting for his view of "social justice". And he killed, a lot...
Since this version of Superman was barely saw in the last 60 years (outsides of reprints and Earth 2 stories) I believe some people won't be crazy about the new version. Me? I always liked both versions, the perfect good guy from the Silver Age and the Social Avenger form the 40's, so Action is the only DCNU title I'm looking forward. 

Tomato

Y'know, I went ahead and read Action Comics for myself... and I have to say, personally I rather enjoyed it. Yes he's a bit rougher than we'd normally expect, but I feel like it's more him not really knowing how far to go with everything yet. It's not like he's burning people's faces off here, he's just beating bad guys up and showing off his powers.

It may not be the book Superman fans expected, but it's exactly what Morrison said it was going to be... a younger Superman with a bit less experience and finesse than the decade+ experience of modern day Superman. And I for one, am eager for issue 2.

AfghanAnt

I guess that is my problem with Action Comics - I'm use to this noble hero to superhero type of Superman and in his place I have this thug (he was a little too punchy for my taste in JLA as well). I guess the nobleness I associate with him isn't popular. Oh well.

Cyber Burn

Quotei'm surprised GA is getting such flack i enjoyed it. it was a simple set up and it worked

No flack on my part, though it wasn't what I hoped for, I did still enjoy it.

As for Action Comics, finances being what they are, I had to pick and choose what I wanted, and AC just didn't make the cut.

Tomato

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 09, 2011, 12:12:54 AM
I guess that is my problem with Action Comics - I'm use to this noble hero to superhero type of Superman and in his place I have this thug (he was a little too punchy for my taste in JLA as well). I guess the nobleness I associate with him isn't popular. Oh well.

You know, I agree that Superman's nobility is a core part of who he is, but what I actually like about Action is I feel like we'll see him grow into that person throughout the course of the book... Instead of having this guy who shows up and is just born effing perfect, here's a guy who is trying to do the right thing and is still working the bugs out. Keep in mind, we haven't seen the modern-day Superman yet... in both Action and JL he's supposed to be fairly new to everything. Hal wasn't exactly respectable in JL either, as I recall.

If I honestly felt like this was going to be how Superman was forever, I wouldn't have enjoyed it. But to me, the fact that he wasn't perfect out of the gate makes the end product MORE noble because he earned the maturity and skills he later has.

Podmark

My reboot book for this week was Justice League International. It was decent but nothing special. In many ways it's the complete opposite of Justice League in that pace is faster and the team is all introduced in the same issue.

I flirted with picking up both Batgirl and Detective Comics but decided against it.

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 08, 2011, 06:02:00 AMSuperman is a complete arsehole and Batman is completely unsuitable for kids (something I thought DC would want to capture).

I don't think DC has shown any real interest in that.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Quote from: Podmark on September 09, 2011, 03:02:45 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 08, 2011, 06:02:00 AMSuperman is a complete arsehole and Batman is completely unsuitable for kids (something I thought DC would want to capture).

I don't think DC has shown any real interest in that.

Exactly why this won't work in the long run.  Unless you change the perceptions of who comics are for, you'll never build a big market.  You can't bring in teenagers and older folks well enough, unless you start changing that perception, and the way to do that is to start younger.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

deano_ue

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 09, 2011, 12:12:54 AM

i don't think its the noble aspect of the character they're trying to avoid. i believe its the whiter than whiter perfect boyscout aura the character has.

personally i could never read a superman comic for this reason, i can read him in team books but i just could never get behind this multi powered god aspect dc had with him while i was growing up

Podmark

AA, you might be interested in this. Apparently Caitlin Fairchild will be part of the Superboy cast.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Podmark on September 13, 2011, 12:06:37 AM
AA, you might be interested in this. Apparently Caitlin Fairchild will be part of the Superboy cast.

It does! Also it seems so random in the way they are throwing the Wildstorm U into DCNU proper.

Amazo Version 2.2

man, just got off the phome with the local comic book store and was told that deathstroke is already sold out. what a bummer.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

The_Baroness

I am sure some of the storis will be great... but... really not interested on the reboot.. DC should move forward, with thigns we like and those we didn't... Important things like what they do with Oracle really made the decision for me..

I hope they are forced to return to normal continuity after a year...

AfghanAnt

Ok...so I just read Superboy and it was like Kyle XY doing his best X-23 impression. Also there will never be any class in school where the answer to a question will be "2300 A.M. Mars Standard Time According To The Universal Chronoal Chart Established By Salvator Grotto in 1856...". Also there is no such person as "Salvator Grotto".  I'm really annoyed that Scott Lobdell thinks telekinesis (tactile or otherwise) somehow equals telepathy (empathy?). Furthermore Fairchild should not be here because I'm guessing N.O.W.H.E.R.E. (a really 1990s ominous evil organized name) will also create Gen-Actives (has already with Grifter?). This was just a straight up hot mess and it might as well be a completely new character. It's a shame Connor Kent had to die for the sins of the DCNU.

Also cognitive amnesia as your cover story? Really? This comic is just...

Also asking "whose memories are these?" when you know he's at least half-Superman is just bad writing.

Previsionary

From what you've said, AA, then I'm sure I'd be disappointed by these developments as well. Sad.
Disappear when you least expe--

AfghanAnt

It wouldn't be that bad if they didn't say Connor was still Connor because he's really not. He's "a" Superboy but he is certainly not Connor Kent. And Lobdell referring to Connor as a thug over and over in interview proves to me he has NEVER read a recent Superboy comic or he wouldn't be trying to shoehorn these terribly 90s superhero archetypes into this comic. Seriously all this is missing is Liefeld's art and a million of useless utility pouches.

Demon Knights was by far the best comics I've read from this new DCNU. It's like Game of Thrones but with familiar faces. I could easily see this existing in the old DC and being a really interesting look at superheroics before there were superheroes.

The Hitman

OK, so I've caught up on the books I picked up from last week. So far, Animal Man has been the best, and surprisingly one of the most accessible to new readers. I really liked the first page "interview" that established that he's mostly retired as a hero, now splitting his time between a film career and animal rights activism. Art is a bit rough for me, but it works for the style and mood of the comic. This book is really not a "superhero" story, but more of a horror story featuring a guy in a costume. Really good.

Green Arrow is answers the question "What if Steve Jobs was a costumed vigilante?" And unfortunately, it doesn't answer it particularly well. Dan Jurgens does a good job on art, but the story is just not there. And I miss the crazy goatee. I give it 20 issues before cancellation.

Static Shock is the closest DC will ever get to a Spider-Man comic. It was great until the last page, which made me groan a bit. Might need to read Wikipedia before picking it up, because there are a couple of bits that need explaining for new readers. Glad to see Hardware, the Milestone Comics' version of Iron Man make an appearance.

Swamp Thing was great, but ties very closely to previous stories in Brightest Day and BD: The Search For Swamp Thing, as well as hints at the amazing Alan Moore run, which is fine but may be too much reading for new fans. Yanick Paquette's art is superb, by far the best of last week.

Hawk & Dove, on the other hand, is a steaming pile of dren. Which is a shame because I enjoy the characters. Of all the Rob Liefeld comics, this is the Rob Liefeldiest. Terrible, terrible art, bad story, I give it 6 - 12 issues.

Batwing was OK but forgettable. Not gonna last long. OMAC was great if you love the art of Jack Kirby (which I do), and I can take or leave Stormwatch as of the first issue.

I want to read Action, Detective, and Justice League International, but I have to wait until the girlfriend finishes them (we've split up the new books between our two pull lists to cut down on spending and overlapping in our longboxes).