News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Ha.....yeah, yeah, that REALLY looks like a CSA Jay Garrick.  That would actually be an almost decent design for that.  For its true purpose...not so much.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

I think it's becoming more and more clear that DC is amalgamating the two versions of Earth 2... this is the Earth 2 antimatter universe.

Glitch Girl

Tomato, I was referring to the overall "Earth 2" revamp and my general dislike of it so far.  If it does turn out to be Crime Syndicate Earth, that might be a little better, but I'm not counting on it.  So far all I see is...

• Characters who were against killing now kill!  Why? BECAUSE WE'RE EDGY!!!
  • All of the Amazons are dead!  So is Lois!  So are many more!  Why? BECAUSE WE'RE EDGY!!! 
  • Earth 2?  It's a dark and horrible place now where everyone is miserable! Why? BECAUSE WE'RE EDGY!!!
Excuse me, I'm going to go read some Atomic Robo and make myself feel better. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BentonGrey

Quote from: Glitch Girl on March 08, 2012, 02:45:45 AM
Tomato, I was referring to the overall "Earth 2" revamp and my general dislike of it so far.  If it does turn out to be Crime Syndicate Earth, that might be a little better, but I'm not counting on it.  So far all I see is...

• Characters who were against killing now kill!  Why? BECAUSE WE'RE EDGY!!!
  • All of the Amazons are dead!  So is Lois!  So are many more!  Why? BECAUSE WE'RE EDGY!!! 
  • Earth 2?  It's a dark and horrible place now where everyone is miserable! Why? BECAUSE WE'RE EDGY!!!
Excuse me, I'm going to go read some Atomic Robo and make myself feel better.

I agree with every single last word of this...especially about Robo.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

The sad thing is, I do like some of the ideas in the new 52 (making Cyborg one of the major league members, bringing Superman back to his "Social Activist" roots, no more underoos, etc.) but there's just so much WRONG with it (Superboy, Starfire, Teen Titans, Batman's condensed timeline, Earth 2, Superboy, lack of any consistent timeline, Green Arrow, and Superboy. And yes, I know Superboy is in there three times. They mucked him up THAT EFFING BAD) that it just doesn't balance out the good.

It's really a shame too, because some of this I was looking forward to. I actually was interested in seeing a proper Earth 2, and what kind of stories it would allow writers to tell. But instead, we get the Justice Lords.

Cyber Burn

I would have preferred JLU Ollie, but Green Arrow is still a decent read.

Tomato

It's not a bad concept, but it'd be better served on a brand new character, not shoehorned onto an existing one.

AfghanAnt

Ok so I just sat down and read the first 6 issues of JLA again and let me say this is NOT John's finest work. The art is great but reading the whole arc not only took me 40sh minutes (6.6 minutes per issue) but it also felt incredibly random. I hoped that reading it again (as if it was trade) would make the story more apparent but it doesn't. It just confused me. It seems like it is written for young teens but it's so incredibly violent and overly sexualized (thanks Jim!) I don't think I don't know who the reader is supposed to be. This is 2000s Chris Claremont on meth.

Previsionary

IGN ranked NuDC. I have to say, if these ratings are accurate for a good portion of the reading population DC has, then it has many low to middle ranking books than I expected it to have post-relaunch: http://comics.ign.com/articles/121/1219917p1.html

An aside... that hawk and dove image was so unfortunate. Marvel and DC have to stop humoring Liefield if they want a book to last more than a few issues. It's really unfair.
Disappear when you least expe--

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Previsionary on March 09, 2012, 01:09:06 AM
IGN ranked NuDC. I have to say, if these ratings are accurate for a good portion of the reading population DC has, then it has many low to middle ranking books than I expected it to have post-relaunch: http://comics.ign.com/articles/121/1219917p1.html

An aside... that hawk and dove image was so unfortunate. Marvel and DC have to stop humoring Liefield if they want a book to last more than a few issues. It's really unfair.

Yeah, unfortunately, I didn't think that Hawk and Dove would last long when I saw that Liefield was on the book. Kind of hoping there would have been a switch before it got cancelled.

AfghanAnt

I'm surprised they gave Batwing a B-. It's a fan favorite and has some interesting and different elements from standard superhero comics.

cmdrkoenig67

My Question...Was the reboot even necessary?  Could they tell most of these stories they are now telling, without having started "fresh"?  I'm gathering that some characters are pretty much the same (like Barbara Gordon taking back the mantle of Batgirl , after years of paralysis and AFAIK Batman is the same as before) as before or almost the same and some are quite different (Superman sounds different, from what I've read here and elsewhere).

I saw "My Greatest Adventure" #1 on the shelf and I was curious about what the reboot Robotman was like (since I had heard he was in the issue and I was bummed DC cancelled the only book I have any interest in, the Doom Patrol)...IMHO, horrible and certainly not the Cliff Steele I knew...More like an Anime robot hero than Cliff Steele/Robotman.

Dana

BentonGrey

Ehh, they desperately needed a reboot, they just aren't taking advantage of the opportunity to really start fresh.  That's what I've said all the way along.  They've got some good books, but in the end they are still trying to have their cake and eat it too.  This will just continue the slow death of mainstream American comic books.
God Bless

thalaw2

They took away the hat?!?!?!  Why?!!??!  It was such a cool accessory/weapon in the hands of the right writer.
革命不会被电视转播

cripp12

Quote from: thalaw2 on March 21, 2012, 02:03:36 PM
They took away the hat?!?!?!  Why?!!??!  It was such a cool accessory/weapon in the hands of the right writer.

The first thing you thought of was the hat when you thought of Jay.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: thalaw2 on March 21, 2012, 02:03:36 PM

Agreed.

Epimethee

That cover is High Art. Leonardo, Rembrandt and Picasso together couldn't have created anything half as inspired.

Shame indeed about losing the hat and therefore the reference to Mercury/Hermes.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Tomato

You know what makes this all the more depressing in context? The very first figure Mattel decided to go with for its Club Infinite Earths is the classic Jay Garrick... as if to remind us that the crap DC is giving us is not the real Earth 2.

RTTingle

Quote from: Glitch Girl on March 05, 2012, 03:10:08 PM
Is it just me, or is "dark and edgy" basically shorthand for "lazy attempt at attention grab"?

I'm sorry, but I like my heroes as "heroes" not as "people with powers and more issues than National Geographic". Grim and Dark have their place, but it should not be the default setting.  You don't have a meal that's nothing but broccoli - there has to be some variety.

Someone wake me when this nightmare is over and they bring back First Wave.

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 12, 2012, 05:09:33 AM
Ehh, they desperately needed a reboot, they just aren't taking advantage of the opportunity to really start fresh.  That's what I've said all the way along.  They've got some good books, but in the end they are still trying to have their cake and eat it too.  This will just continue the slow death of mainstream American comic books.

I noticed in the grading article, that a few of the books are still heavily weighed down by continuity (like Hawk and Dove, LSH, etc...), a few books haven't found their way/don't know what they're supposed to be and there are some pretty low grades given for the a few of the big name books too.  I noticed Liefeld will be writing Hawkman....That does not bode well for that title IMHO.

Dana

murs47

Finally got around to trying Wonder Woman. That book is soooooo good! *caresses body* So good!

Aquaman lost its touch once its focus shifted away from those creatures of the trench. I dropped it without difficulty.

Tried to get into Flash but just couldnt. I can see the appeal of it, just not my preference. I will say, the redesigned Rogues are excellent. It's pretty much what I had in mind if I ever got around to redesigning them for Ultimate DC.

Batman still rocks my socks off.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: murs47 on March 25, 2012, 11:34:39 PM
Finally got around to trying Wonder Woman. That book is soooooo good! *caresses body* So good!

Now Murs, remember what your psych said about caressing your body in public over Wonder Woman!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

murs47

Quote from: Deaths Jester on March 26, 2012, 06:41:20 PM

Now Murs, remember what your psych said about caressing your body in public over Wonder Woman!

Do it more often?

Deaths Jester

Quote from: murs47 on March 26, 2012, 08:52:19 PM

Do it more often?

No...the opposite you ingrate!!

murs47

Quote from: Deaths Jester on March 28, 2012, 04:07:00 PM
Quote from: murs47 on March 26, 2012, 08:52:19 PM

Do it more often?

No...the opposite you ingrate!!

Grate my body like cheese?

Tomato

Murs, just... go to your corner and sit there. Gawd.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on March 28, 2012, 06:21:57 PM
Murs, just... go to your corner and sit there. Gawd.

And don't touch yourself at all!!

The Hitman

DC is bringing back the National Comics banner after 63 years. I go into more detail here:

http://www.pizzaxtremeteam.com/2012/04/10/national-comics-returns-after/

laughing paradox

That National Comics return is a very cool idea. I'm surprised it hasn't been broached before. There were so many old titles that could be reused with modern characters.