News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 04, 2014, 08:09:00 PM
ElastiGirl's power was the she can grown, kind of like Giant man, right?  Then why is she called Elastigirl?

I think the writers knew that as well, because they eventually gave her the power to grow individual parts of her body as opposed to just becoming giant. In effect, it's like a variation on stretchy powers, thus earning her the name 'Elasti-girl.'
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

daglob

The original, original Elasti-Girl could both shrink and grow (exactly like Ant/Giant-Man), and learned how to alter one part of her body, usually her arm and hand, so she could smack someone across the room. Although there was this Brave and Bold team-up with The Flash where she enlarged one leg to cusion a fall from a height (or at least I think it was B&B). Sounds like it's some new incarnation of the DP, so I can't get too worked up over it.

SickAlice

I was pretty hyped regardless of their take. Mainly because I really loved the last incarnation and it was one of my biggest losses due to the reboot (hilarious commentary in that final issue from A.B.about the situation though). The other was R.E.B.E.L.S.

trebean

She has control of her Molecular Structure, meaning yeah, she can stretch, but what's the use of stretching if you can grow 30ft and stomp on your foes?

SickAlice

Well she's only been shown in a few pages in one book so far. Just saying it's not as if the full extent of her powers has been changed but more they haven't had the panel time to show it. The character is definitely presented as she should be sans the bit streamlining that most DCnU characters go through (as opposed to the extreme makeovers some have had).

JeyNyce

Is DC planning on doing a Doom Patrol comic soon?  It looks like they are going to introduce them in JL and then spin them off into their own series
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

cmdrkoenig67

I violently disliked the latest "Transformers" version of Cliff Steele/Robotman, so I have my doubts about liking any of this....Which makes me sad, because I loved the original Doom Patrol (even the most recent version by )...(just saw a preview...
Spoiler
Cliff Steele rebooted within the already messed-up DC reboot?...Ugh!  Rita Starr?...Ugh again...It's Rita Farr, DC...Not Starr!  Larry Trainor brown-nosing the Chief?  Double ugh.

I'm also frankly tired of DC's reboots.

Dana

trebean

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on August 05, 2014, 07:20:01 PM
I violently disliked the latest "Transformers" version of Cliff Steele/Robotman, so I have my doubts about liking any of this....Which makes me sad, because I loved the original Doom Patrol (even the most recent version by )...(just saw a preview...
Spoiler
Cliff Steele rebooted within the already messed-up DC reboot?...Ugh!  Rita Starr?...Ugh again...It's Rita Farr, DC...Not Starr!  Larry Trainor brown-nosing the Chief?  Double ugh.

I'm also frankly tired of DC's reboots.

Dana
Spoiler
Uh? But she is called Rita Farr in the comic, Larry barely brownoses the Chief other than that one particular scene, I don't see what you meant by Cliff as a Transformer, since isn't he a robot it all of his incarnation? The only thing that slightly bugs me is how they're all just getting started again, I mean Larry's afraid to release Negative Man in fear of exposing his friends to deadly radiation.

bat1987

So Earth 2
Spoiler

Quite a twist here...Turns out Brutale was E2 Bizarro or something, in other words a clone, not the real thing. I have to admit I didn't see it coming, but I like it quite a bit. He still had Superman's memories, and he himself thought that he was the real thing. Also liked Val's "you're boring" response, very cool. This concludes the "evil Superman" story, looking forward to what's coming next.

JeyNyce

First it was Bombshell Girls
Now it Selfies
What's next?  LEGO, in honor of Batman 3

http://www.newsarama.com/21821-more-dc-comics-lego-variant-covers-revealed.html

Glitch Girl

Is it just me or is DC finally starting to have... fun?

Nah.

(sidenote: EEEE!! Lego Frankenstein is ADORABLE!!)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

bat1987

Art from gotham academy

Looks fantastic!

JeyNyce

That looks like a video game.  Awesome!!

trebean

Lol, DC should just make a Batman Imprint

Podmark

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 13, 2014, 01:15:13 PM
That looks like a video game.  Awesome!!

Heh, it really does. I like it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: trebean on August 06, 2014, 03:00:10 AM
Spoiler
Uh? But she is called Rita Farr in the comic, Larry barely brownoses the Chief other than that one particular scene, I don't see what you meant by Cliff as a Transformer, since isn't he a robot it all of his incarnation? The only thing that slightly bugs me is how they're all just getting started again, I mean Larry's afraid to release Negative Man in fear of exposing his friends to deadly radiation.

Trebean,

Spoiler
The "transformers version of Cliff" I'm referring to was from the short-lived New 52 comic "My Greatest Adventure".  I did pick up the issue and Larry brown-noses the Chief with nearly every line he says.  As for Rita, she's referred to in the preview and in the comic as Rita Starr.

trebean

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on August 15, 2014, 08:11:06 PM
Spoiler

Trebean,

Spoiler
The "transformers version of Cliff" I'm referring to was from the short-lived New 52 comic "My Greatest Adventure".  I did pick up the issue and Larry brown-noses the Chief with nearly every line he says.  As for Rita, she's referred to in the preview and in the comic as Rita Starr.
Boop, I guess it might just be an editorial mishap, she has the right last name here, but yeah she was called Miss Starr in an earlier panel.
Spoiler
And other than this page, Larry didn't really, most of his later dialogues were hesitation on using his powers due to the harmful radiation it emits.
Spoiler

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: trebean on August 21, 2014, 09:36:06 AM
Spoiler

Trebean,

Spoiler
Boop, I guess it might just be an editorial mishap, she has the right last name here, but yeah she was called Miss Starr in an earlier panel.
Spoiler
And other than this page, Larry didn't really, most of his later dialogues were hesitation on using his powers due to the harmful radiation it emits.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Larry brown-noses during the battle too (even if the Chief doesn't hear it).

JeyNyce

New issue of Justice League is out......

How do you feel about...

Spoiler
Lex joining the team?

trebean

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on August 29, 2014, 08:41:03 PM
Quote from: trebean on August 21, 2014, 09:36:06 AM
Spoiler

Trebean,

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Larry brown-noses during the battle too (even if the Chief doesn't hear it).
New issue came out, Rita FARR is her name, Starr is just another dumb editorial mishap (Typical DC)
Yeah, THEIR thankfulness to the Chief does show here, again but I think it's for good reason, the Chief did save their life (But like you said, it will get grating on the long run). The only bad thing I felt about this issue was how Out of Character Element Woman was.

Also what else is to note? OH YEAH!!
John finally manages to write Batman properly (Well other than that arbitrary scene where Lex explains to Bats how Power Ring works)..

Anyway, I was rather fond of some of the Tie-Ins, I liked the Action Comics one, and the SwampThing (Which I feel, could have been stretched out for an entire arc, c'mon Soule! Just because you've gone exclusive with Marvel doesn't mean you should let the quality of your DC Books to downsize) I was also intrigued by Green Arrow and Detective Comics Tie In.

Tiny Titans in Atlantis? OH YEAH TITANS!!
In the digital site, Injustice is still pretty solid, and the last issue might leave you a bit shocked and how much a dick this new Superman is and how truly awesome Ganthet is. Infinite Crisis is finally getting somewhere thank god, and I decided to jump back in with Smallville and was pleasantly surprised that they're doing a Monitor arc, will this be somehow integrated on the rumored Crisis event in 2015? I have my doubts. Don't think there was a Beyond Comic this week so I was left wanting for more.

murs47

Secret Six announced!

This is some exciting news in the world of not-so-exciting(DC Comics) news!

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on September 06, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
Secret Six announced!

Yay!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

SickAlice

Not really going to rewind it in a spoiler since it's on the cover of every issue, on the subject of Lex in JL I'm indifferent and mostly because not enough time has passed I think to have any solid feelings about it. So far in the positive it adds good tension and an interesting dynamic to the stories, the downside is much of the time it seems other characters are " worfed " to show off Lex's capacities which is something I'm never fond of.

One of my favorite DC books for awhile has been New 52 Futures End. I think it's a solid read and it hits the mark on exactly how a comic should be done especially in the areas of characterization,  suspense and pacing. At this time it's one of the books I eagerly look forward to the next issue over. I gambled on this and picked up most of the tie-ins for the event tied into the main series, many of which are books I'm otherwise not normally reading like Batwing, Green Arrow, Aquaman, so on (no offense to readers of these series nor ever a rusted token offered for them, it's just a matter of economics and these didn't make the allotment on my pull lists hence they never got picked up). I feel so far the gamble was worth it and some of these 1-shots have been intriguing and unique reads. In particular Action Comics Futures End seriously deserves an award for excellence. It's one of those rarely seen these days inspiring stories that's deeply heroic and inspirational. If you pick an issue to get this month that's the one I'm putting the seal of approval on.

Secret Six ^ Yummy! Nuff said.

daglob

So, waitaminit... they cut off The Joker's FACE?

JeyNyce

Quote from: daglob on September 09, 2014, 12:26:15 AM

Joker asked Dollman to cut off his face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_the_Family

trebean

Quote from: daglob on September 09, 2014, 12:26:15 AM

Yeah, somewhere near the start of the New 52

Silver Shocker

^Lol, I love that meme.

Quote from: murs47 on September 06, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
Secret Six announced!

Yep. After all the speechifying I've made recently about wanting to read more Simone, Secret Six, and losing interest in DC comics (I'm currently buying no DC right now), this is quite a boon.

As for Luthor, I've said my opinions earlier in this thread and elsewhere, but I'll repeat some.  Him joining the JL was on covers and solicits, so if you're a reader who looks at that kind of stuff regularly (like me), I don't really think of it as a spoiler, or at least much of one, since it's a development that was being set up in Forever Evil. Said miniseries sold me on the idea of Luthor as a hero or anti-hero, so I would have happily read that in JL, but I dropped the book for mostly unrelated reasons I went into earlier in this thread (tl;dr version: I stopped caring about the New 52, was trying to cut down on my pull list and decided to wait for the trade).

As for the "Worf Effect", that's not that surprising to me, but without reading the book I can't comment on it first hand. Personally I tend to like Luthor stories where he doesn't have his power armor since said power armor is very silly and cartoony, and I enjoy seeing have a more "hands-off" approach to the proceedings (in the same vein as Xanatos from Gargoyles, who has some similarities to Luthor to be sure). But it is an example of him using his resourcefulness to compensate for his lack of superpowers ("You wouldn'tbelieve what this cost me") which is something I appreciate both in DC and elsewhere. And in Forever Evil with the Syndicate running around you definitely need some kind of firepower.

As for Future's End, I only read the FCBD issue and I wasn't "whelmed". I thought the art by Van Sciver was superb, and I enjoyed seeing Terry McGuinness of Batman Beyond fame alongside Old Man Wayne, but other than that it didn't really do anything for me. The cyborg zombies were very silly, and as pointed out elsewhere online, somewhat mean spirited and didn't make much sense for Brother Eye. But I could easily believe the book has picked up since since there is certainly some promise there. Personally I would have had Terry go to the present day and meet the other heroes, including Bruce, in their prime. (Something that the DCAU, of course, did their own version of, which I loved). I've been wanting to get caught up on the better DC event/weekly/whatever books for years (including 52 and Batman Eternal) so I might read this down the line.

re: Joker: To be fair, that actually happened in the opening arc of Tony Daniel's Detective Comics, and then Joker went off the table for a while before reappearing in Death of the Family. I don't know how I feel about the face thing, it's one of the most grotesque things in modern DC, and that's saying something. But it is creepy as hell, and that's something that the Joker has embodied very often, and especially in the modern era. I loved Death of the Family, it was one of the best arcs in Snyder's generally excellent career on the Batman books.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

JeyNyce

The only problem with the Joker is what to do with him now?  He disappear, he will be back, but how?  They guy face was cut off and now Joker's Daughter (silly name, cool character) is wearing it.  How are they going to bring all of these loose ends together?

bat1987

Kill her off (lame character that they are forcing more and more), and have Hush re-attach his face. Done :P

JeyNyce

Instead of killing her off, I would make her the new Joker.  Joker's daughter is a stupid name.  Make her the Joker and let her run around and do crazy stuff and in a year bring back the real Joker and then we can have The Battle for the Smile (Joke or whatever).  It would be just like Battle for the Cowl