News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spydermann93

bat1987

I know I'm in the minority on this forum but I quite enjoyed DKR. DSA was really bad IMO, was really hard to look at as well. So not sure what to think of this. Need to hear more.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: bat1987 on April 25, 2015, 03:55:13 PM
I know I'm in the minority on this forum but I quite enjoyed DKR. DSA was really bad IMO, was really hard to look at as well. So not sure what to think of this. Need to hear more.

DKR is good,and one of the most influential comics of all times.DSA on the other hand... is not.There are also some other Millers works on Batman,that I dont even want to .   :wacko:
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

bat1987

Quote from: Spade on April 25, 2015, 04:23:43 PM
Quote from: bat1987 on April 25, 2015, 03:55:13 PM

DKR is good,and one of the most influential comics of all times.DSA on the other hand... is not.There are also some other Millers works on Batman,that I dont even want to .   :wacko:

Ya "all star batman and robin" I wasn't really a fan of. Year one on the other hand was great IMO.

HarryTrotter

Yes,thats the one.Where Crazy Steve thinks hes The god**mn Batman. XD
Somebody was gonna say it,might as well be me. XD
But Jim Lees artwork was great,as always.
Fun Trivia: The book is finished,but DC refuses to print it.Yes,they drew the line there.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Recently,I finished Red Hood and the Outlaws.It starts pretty badly,but it evolves to just barely okay.Roys portrayal and the action were pretty good,but everything else is just kinda...meh.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I read it all and agree, I mean about Roy being the interesting part of the book. Red Hood is a cliche at best, mostly an " American ninja " and his personality and mind are all over the place so it's hard for them to flesh him out in a way that matters. Starfire is 2-dimensional. The Data to Star Trek but without the challenges and character development. Maybe better that she's getting a revamp though personally I loathe Bab's revamp (I got a good Catwoman revamp out of the deal though which was needed) so we'll see. I'll give the series it has really nice artwork in addition to this. The Earth based plots are better than the space opera plots imo as well.

bat1987

So, Batman #40
Spoiler

- That Bruce/Dick switcheroo was awesome and totally unexpected.
- Batman vs Joker was brutal. This really was written and drawn as the ultimate confrontation between the two. Loved every panel of it.
- Ofc Joker isn't immortal as it turns out, he was using dionesium he found when Batman dropped him off the cliff in Death of The family.
- They both appear to die at the end of it all.

I really want to see where are they going with all of this. I don't mind other folks taking up the mantle. I enjoyed Bucky Cap, Dickbats and Spider-ock. This time around though Snyder told us when things are back to normal ( Bruce coming back), happens in issue #50 http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/c2e2-live-scott-snyder-talks-batman-endgame-gordon-american-vampire . So might as well enjoy the ride :)

HarryTrotter

Im probably the only one still following this,but this weeks Convergence was actually okay.Plot is developing.
After this we are in for some weird stuff(in a good way?).3 miniseries that sound interesting IMO:
Batmite
Prez,about a teenage president of the US
Section Eight,the guys from Garth Ennises Hitman.Yup,Dogwelder and the rest.
Jon Farmer

daglob

I remember Prez...

Ssslllooowly I turn... Step by step... inch by inch... UNTIL...

HarryTrotter

Preview for Convergence Titans #2 spoils it all.But its really touching  ^_^
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Divergence was okay.New Batman suits up and there is some set up for Darkseid/Anti-Monitor war.
Jon Farmer

bat1987

Ya new Batman arc is gonna be interesting. Sensing a Robocop vibe from those eight pages. It's gonna last almost a year so it better be good lol. But in Snyder I trust and this really seems too crazy to miss out on.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: bat1987 on May 03, 2015, 03:34:05 PM
Ya new Batman arc is gonna be interesting. Sensing a Robocop vibe from those eight pages. It's gonna last almost a year so it better be good lol. But in Snyder I trust and this really seems too crazy to miss out on.

My thoughts exactly.I hope he getts some unique enemies,something like his dedicated rogue gallery.  :thumbup:
BTW are we still keeping the name of new Batman as spoiler since its now officialy reveled?

http://insidepulse.com/2015/05/04/demythify-dc-comics-june-2015-post-convergence-8-page-sneak-peeks-back-up-stories-revealed-for-all-of-may-2015-convergence-titles/

Backup stories in this weeks Convergence seem interesting.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Weddings,childbirths,this weeks Convergence has it all.Plot twist was a bit obvious,but okay.
Since I didnt read Warlord or anything Earth-2 related,I feel tottaly confused at this point.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Well,Convergence is consistently disappointing.Week 7 was just so boring.Heroes fight for a bit,then decide to work together against their captor;IN EVERY SINGLE ISSUE!Are they ever trying to come up with a plot?
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Multiversity was the better read so far imo. Though I'm giving Convergence a little slack as after all it is filler. And I mean DC is in the middle of something and this whole event is filler until they get their ducks in a row. That and it started convoluted anyways. Though I feel you, I was expecting to be wow'd or intrigued at a point but this is just flat 80's Saturday Morning cartoon stuff.

HarryTrotter

Yeah,they are moving or something similar.Im not sure if this is official or a joke,or something,but the next event will be Existential Crisis.It will be about multiple versions of characters merging into one.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I think it's snark just due to the fact there was no sneak peak for something like that. Something involving Darkseid and Anti-Monitor looks to be what they're working towards next. Asides that didn't work very well for Image, one of the companies lowest points sad to say (Altered Image).

HarryTrotter

That was my first thought,but there were weirder ideas for something Crisis.
In a weird bout of Wildstorm nostalgia I picked up Grifter,the new 52 volume.And I have very mixed feelings about it....
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I didn't make it through N52 Grifter to be honest. Dropped Voodoo as well despite the acclaim surrounding that series. Basically like most I sampled most of the books when they first came out and those were two that just didn't stick and make the cut with me. Again here I'll cut them some slack though. Trying to find a way to work those characters into the DC world must have posed somewhat of a challenge. In fact as time has passed after the New 52 and prior to even I can see where this may have been a long time difficulty with DC, working the Wildstorm characters and backgrounds into the DCU at large that is. Most of their dynamics clash a bit with the traditional DC ones and the other way around. I guess we'll see how Midnighter comes out though that one has a pretty big legacy to live up to.

HarryTrotter

Thats basicly my problem with it as well,similar like the Stormwatch.It just stands out in the DCU,it doesnt fit very well with everything else.But the book has okay action scenes,and the dynamic between Grifter and Deathblow is good and makes for a few funny moments.Seeing it was streched across 4/5 different titles I pretty much lost track of what was actually Helsponts agenda.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

It's irony really. I'm sure I wasn't alone but I couldn't wait for them to incorporate WS, now I almost think it would have been better in it's own verse. Even more though this may be I thought Wildstorm really complimented Marvel when they merged in that Heroes Reborn event (the 13th issues, it was called WWIII I think?). Stormwatch is a good example. I think the book read well enough itself. Manhunter is a great character. But when they were mixed it felt really glaring. I think the writer may have been on the same kick when they pushed him out     and took the stories in their own direction, at least until Trinity of course.

Can't see the future of course but this may all be up in the air anyways. Everything coming up after Convergence looks like sort of a fresh start anyways so maybe it will be more cohesive this time around. All in all I won't say I was disappointed in the first phase of New 52. Like anyone maybe the drastic upheaval and shift when it first changed over but really it's all been digestible. I even got some books I was really taken by and some remodels I enjoyed more than the previous ones (current Catwoman run for me in that vein).

My big nitpick to date was getting tossed a red herring regarding Pandora during Trinity and in Blight and never really seeing a concrete resolve to whatever was happening at the end of Flashpoint and what she was doing right there and then. Also and not a point of contention but just thinking about it, what happened to the note? I mean the note Bruce got from the Flashpoint Batman? All their memories faded quickly but before then the Flash gave him the note during New 52. So he would have a reminder or mystery at least. I thought it was meant to be something with the emphasis they put it on. More to the point that they really didn't cover the whole change over and background behind the New 52 Universe, rather they said they were going to, skipped that and went off on a tangent to this Convergence. It seems like the story structure should have been more streamlined especially given that was a stated reason for the reboot in the first place? Oh well, again it seems we're off to New 52 2.0 soon so these will just be afterthoughts.

HarryTrotter

Out of the whole weird mess in this weeks Convergence,Swamp Thing #2 stands out as a pretty good comic.
DC is really going weird,in a good way, next month.General idea is that that DCYou has something for  everybody.EVERY title is getting some sort of retool.Things im gonna be on the lookout for:
Batman #41
Hellblazer #1
Section 8 by Garth Ennis
Wonder Woman #41
Prez and Batmite also seem interesting.And there the whole Darkseid war...
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

bat1987

lol it's probably only for one arc at most, did see it in JL preview. Hard to tell these days since that book and JLA are not happening at the same time as the other books. Which is not a bad thing, since it can mess up the stories. We'll wait and see what comes out of this.

SickAlice

What do they mean " becomes "? I thought he already was a God?

HarryTrotter

So...I was thinking of starting with Geoff Johns Green Lantern run.Can anyone help me with the reading order?
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Most of the reading order lists are pretty much on point. Your call whether to pick up anything the user says " Isn't need but I like it " and such.

HarryTrotter

Most of them dont aggre on everything.
And Convergence is over.The Reset button is presed.Thats all.Convergence didnt actually happen.
Jon Farmer