News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Well,if you read any of the previews for the Divergence,you will notice than EVERYONE is getting a new look.Some changes are bigger then others.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I think they're trying to hook Hollywood. I don't remember the term but I read something by Bendis once and he laid out how the studios were backlogging comics and combing for any idea than think will translate to film. He then explained how many modern designs are tapered closer to something that could work on film as well as whats in. In this case Iron Man, Batman (Bale plated costume) and Transformers in that case. I don't see what the problem is myself. It's likely the design was chosen because they thought the film studios might notice the character and consider him for a live action venture. Comic artists break decent bread depending on how many pots and pans they've scrubbed but a Warner Bros. royalty check is the kind of thing that sends ones kids to college. I'd go for it if I were in their shoes.

bat1987

Ya I don't mind MM's look. He is recognizable and modernized. As for the new divergence costumes, Batman Superman, WW (not sure about this though only know bits and tibids) and GL are for story reasons and I'm sure they'll get back to heir normal garbs soon enough (batman when bruce gets back, Superman when his powers return etc.)

Flash I think is an unneccesary redesign, and I'm not a fan of it. It's like new 52 meets tv show.

daglob

The plates and pads also make it unnecessary for the actor to have real muscles... like most superheroes have realistic muscles anyway.

BentonGrey

Ehh, it's not bad, but it's unnecessary.  Mr. Miracle has a fantastic costume.  It's basically one of the perfect costumes, as far as I'm concerned.  Screwing with perfection is usually a bad idea.  This just looks robotic and less like what he should be, a  colorful escape-artist.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Justice League #41 was intense.So much happens.Also a huge case of Worf effect,but see for yourself.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Wow Spade, how do you get you books so early.  The comic shop around me doesn't open up until 11am.

HarryTrotter

Different timezone,I guess? XD
Im at +1,so I could be a few hours ahead of you?
Midnighter was okay.Nothing mindblowing,just okay.
Bizarro was HILLARIOUS.Seriously,you need to read it,everyone.
Bat-Mite.Just Bat-Mite.  :thumbup:
Gotta hand it to DC,I thought that the whole DCYou thing was just a sales pitch but they really do have something for everyone.Variety is the word.  ^_^
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Anyone read the Hawkman Convergence books?  I just finished them.  Long story short, everything about the actual plot and characters was great and everything tied into the larger event bored me to tears.

Spoiler
I couldn't care less about whatever nonsense is going on with cities and arenas and blah, blah, blah, but Silver Age Hawks in action?  Awesome!  They were great, and they couldn't have picked anybody better to write it unless they had brought back Tony Isabella, which, now that I think about it, they ABSOLUTELY SHOULD HAVE DONE!  Gosh, I would buy the HECK out of an out of continuity Hawkman book by him. 

Anyway, the Hawks were spot on in terms of characterization, and they were given a lot of great little moments to shine, both of them, as equal partners.  It was really quite wonderful.  I loved their interactions, the way they trusted one another, the way their love came through in dialog and action, and the balance of personalities in their partnership.  It was all excellent.  I think my favorite part of the stories, though, was their heroic ethos.  They refused to give into fear or despair, they inspired the people under their protection, and even inspired their enemies, and the whole thing was really well handled, though it could have easily been quite cheesy.  I particularly liked the revelation of their identities at a crucial moment.  I guess desperate times call for desperate measures, after all.  About the only thing missing was a cameo by George Emmett.

The threat they faced was also a good match.  The various mutants of Kammandi's future provided good antagonists, and the conflict between bat and hawk was visually and narratively interesting, as was the final peril of the mutation missile.  I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see Kammandi himself, though.  That was a bit of a missed opportunity.  I may have to do a short campaign with the Hawks in Kammandi's future one of these days....

This was a great set of issues, and they should be picked up by anybody who loves the Hawks.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

I agree.That was probably one of the better books in Convergence.
Worth reading are Swamp thing and Titans tie-ins.
My final thought is: An okay event if you like Earth 2 heroes,mediocre if you dont.
BTW,Darkseid war is happening before Convergence.Or ignores it.
Anyway,if you havent already,read JL #41.And everything else from last week.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I live in Canada, so it's a different time zone for me as well.

Yeah, I'm still enjoying Justice League. It's the only book I've managed to keep up with right now.

Spoiler
I liked the forensics scene, felt like a remake of the sequence from Identity Crisis, except maybe a little more believable that the group can't solve the case right away considering it's just the main League roster. I do find it weird that Flash can apparently run a forensics analysis before Batman can finish speaking a sentence. Flash may be super speed, but any machine or electronics he used wouldn't be.  Plus wouldn't him mashing on buttons or keys at superspeed wreck the machine? I'm sure this has happened other times with the character though (Wally typing in passcodes at super-speed in the Justice Lords storyline in the JL cartoon, for example).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Killed a number of woman sharing the same name?Terminator,anyone? XD
Nice to see plots from basicly everywhere being connected.From the start of the Justice League to Forever Evil.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Dug #41 out of the pile. Pretty much a seamless issue. Great dialogue, pacing and transition. The art holds up as usual there. I hope it keeps on this track, this could be a really arc.

JeyNyce

Here's the thing that is confusing.  I'm assuming that the stuff going on in Justice League happen BEFORE the heroes went through their changes but DURING Convergence and that's why we hardly saw them during the battles?

bat1987

Quote from: JeyNyce on June 08, 2015, 02:08:27 PM
Here's the thing that is confusing.  I'm assuming that the stuff going on in Justice League happen BEFORE the heroes went through their changes but DURING Convergence and that's why we hardly saw them during the battles?

Ya could be, makes sense. DC's attitude is more or less that each writer gets to write their own story and it's all canon but not necessarily happening at the same time. I'm assuming they are not gonna explicitly state when is each story happening, guess that will be up to us.

SickAlice

I'm a little woozy but bare with me. Going spoiler since this pertains to Convergence #8 and everyone might not be up to that point. I'm also going to spoil Marvel's Age Of Apocalypse event here:
Spoiler
Convergence itself occurs in paradox space and time, that is to say outside it so it always and never occurred. Our footnote there was that the planet exists outside of the Multiverse. The Covergence event was an intersection between various points in time and space (hence converged). From Brainiacs perspective linear time is irrelevant and all points in time are now (I think this was even stated somewhere), though from this version of Brainiacs perspective it is also after Futures End (he is now trapped due to events there, also placing his point after the end of Earth 2, the Darkseid War and current New 52 to us) as well the end of his own overall time and thus the end of time itself (stated on panel this issue of course). This is where it gets a little dicey. Brainiac put into motion a series of events in the past (from New 52's present perspective) that would change the Multiverse in order to collapse it in on itself and save it from oblivion. Noted of course that the Crisis event was tampered with as Brainiac pointed to that as the point causing the problem. Several characters, most from the Crisis point in time itself where sent there to play out their hand. They succeeded and the result was the Multiverse was restored, however the individual universes were now changed (evolved as stated on panel). At the end of Flashpoint all the Multiverse had collapsed in on itself and reinvented realities emerged in place of this. Then we were also told that what we saw was not what was responsible (The Flash traveling in time as noted by Pandora) and that something else was at play. What we saw in Convergence #8 was that exactly, resulting in the New 52 and all the other new versions of reality we've come to know now which while different greatly resemble past realities (New 52, New Crime Syndicate Reality, New Earth 2, New Captain Carrot reality and so on), again shown on panel (the page spread of realities). Hence minding paradox time and space this never happened from the linear perspective of current New 52 yet always will and has. Think Age Of Apocalypse here. From the 616 (R.I.P. Sweet Prince, lol) perspective the events that brought it on never happened. In 616 Charles Xavier was never murdered by his son nor whom seemed to mysteriously vanish. Yet from the doomed timeline characters and events had effected the past of 616 (Sugar Man/Genosha, Dark Beast/Mutant Massacre and such) but they in effect always had and we the reader were only just being made aware. That jumbled mess is what I got out of it granting the writers some leverage in keeping their own stuff straight and that comics are not an exact science nor the rules within the fiction. Phew, time for coffee then.

HarryTrotter

Braniac is the Wormhole Alien from Deep Space 9? XD
As I understood,Convergence didnt involve Earth 0(main universe) heroes,and thus they are free do do anything during that time.The event was sort of an ending for earlier heroes.
Im kinda suprised nobody commented other series from last week.All of them were pretty good.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

That in a nutshell. From their vantage point in the New 52 this was all unsung but it did influence how they came to be in the first place. They pretty much just gave us some details as the how the reboot came to do and gave the classics a proper send off so the talent is free to move forward with fresh stories.

Which ones specifically? I've been silent because my pulls have been meager do to event fatigue and most of the DC books I got are just sitting in the pile unread really. Too many other things occupying me right now and I figure I'll catch up when I have some room to breath, goes for both DC and Marvel. I've mostly just been pushing to keep current on at least the main titles, in this case being Convergence and Secret Wars. Everything else is on hold short of my favorites (TMNT and IXth Generation).

HarryTrotter

I mentioned a few already.Both Bizarro and Bat-mite were GREAT!
Its kinda hard to put them into words really. XD
Midnighter was okay.Nothing mindblowing,but its the first issue.
Its a bit different take on the genre since he considers himself fighter not a superhero and doesnt hide his identity.Not revolutionary,but its refreshing.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I meant to pick up Midnighter.  I'll go see if I can get it this week.

HarryTrotter

Batman Beyond 01 Not the Beyond Universe I knew.Its more like Fallout/Days of Future Past thing.Im very neutral about it.

Batman 41 Jim Gordon fights an energy...something and has a few quips.Great cliffhanger ending.Cant wait for #42.

Starfire 01 Very interesting.Starfire is closer to her animated portrayal,which is good IMO.Mostly just introduces the town and the supporting cast.

All-Star Section 8 I can see this is gonna be the stuff of legends.Ennis and McCrea are at the top of their game,still.  :)
Batman
Spoiler
gets a parking ticket
.Priceless.  :thumbup:

Red Hood/Arsenal Pretty much same like RHO.Okay action and good portrayal of Roy.New costumes are...kinda goofy.Roy has a Kyle Raylner-style red mask.
Jon Farmer

bat1987

Batman was really good. I like
Spoiler
the non armor suit Jim has, very sleek. Also explains why he has no mustache.
It really feels like a different book, which is not a bad thing. Should be a fun ride. And that cliffhanger....

HarryTrotter

Detective Comics 41 focuses on the other members of GCPD,Bullock in this case.

Constantine:The Hellblazer 01 Im dissapointed with this one.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on June 10, 2015, 02:08:32 PM
Detective Comics 41 focuses on the other members of GCPD,Bullock in this case.

Constantine:The Hellblazer 01 Im dissapointed with this one.

Really?  I was looking forward to Constantine.  Between the TV show and the Injustice comic, I was really starting to like him.

HarryTrotter

Its a bit dragged down by not being a Vertigo series.But I dont know it was a bit bland IMO.Still early to judge thou.
To me Starfire 01 is the best DC comic of this week.If you liked Teen Titans in any form,you should pick it up.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Was New Years Evil series ever collected or reprinted?Its almost impossible to find.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Do you like female DC Superheroes? Do you like WWII? Do you like standalone series that you can read without having to buy a crap-ton of other books to understand what's going on in the larger universe? (I admit, I'm a bit biased on that last one.)  Then you'll like DC Bombshells. More info at the link below.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-bombshells-series-drops-this-july-from-bennett-sauvage
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

daglob

Quote from: kkhohoho on June 14, 2015, 03:00:03 PM
Do you like female DC Superheroes? Do you like WWII? Do you like standalone series that you can read without having to buy a crap-ton of other books to understand what's going on in the larger universe? (I admit, I'm a bit biased on that last one.)  Then you'll like DC Bombshells. More info at the link below.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-bombshells-series-drops-this-july-from-bennett-sauvage

That's cute. Maybe I'll finish my bombshell Wonder Woman...

kkhohoho

Apparently, DC wanted to kill off Nightwing/Dick Grayson during InfiniteCrisis. And before that, they wanted to make him a gosh-darned Supervillain, among other things. More info at the link below.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2015/06/dcs-plot-to-destroy-nightwing-is-even-older-than-we-thought/
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203