News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Anyone remembers Darkstars?By Keith Giffen and Travis Cherest IIRC.Its actually hard to prove the series ever existed.So my question is was the series ever collected?Was anything from the series collected?Appreciate if anyone has some info.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

daglob

Okay, I got a Kindle for my birthday. And, of course, there are free books galore, some of which are even worth it. One of them is a kind of overview of DC graphic novels and story arc collections.

The thing is, almost all of them are "Game Changers", and "Things Will Never Be The Same", and "Totally Changing The Future Of (The Series, The character, Comics, Et cetera). I know it's hyperbole, but it loses any effect (or enticement) when you have page after page of these.

I miss the Silver Age. Heck, I miss the Bronze Age.

HarryTrotter

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/134011-dc-throwing-everything-at-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks-in-march-2016-solicitations.html
Lets see the future:
-Batman and Superman are back(called it)
-Supermans son might be the next Superboy,or Magog(just a theory)
-Aquawoman?
-Legends of Tommorow comic
-Grant Morrisons and Mark Millars run on Flash is collected at last.
Robert Veditti is writing Flash?I missed that somehow.
-Tellos and Parallax team up.Let me guess,it leads to an EVENT?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Dont know how many of you are still reading Justice League,but any thought on Darkseid War?
Like any DC event in the past few years,for me,its been just ok.At least DC is consistent.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Justice League is ok for now.  I think the writing was better before.  The Darksied war is not all that in my opinion.  It should have been called the Death of Darksied.  It seems like the was wasn't the big thing, it was the after effects of the war that seems to be the big thing.  Oh well, let's see how long it will last.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

daglob

Quote from: Spade on November 04, 2015, 03:33:51 PM
Well Bat-Mite is over.It was a good run,anyway,  :)

I finally got to read this thing. It does raise a couple of questions, such as just where does Bat-Mite come from, but all in all it was fun.

How may of you are old enough to remember when DC offered Super-Mite, Bat-Mite, and Wonder-Mite dolls?

HarryTrotter

From the Fifth Dimension,which is imagination.Then again Batman was on drugs for that explanation so its not really credible.Since they revealed the identity of Phantom Stranger(hes Judas),we need some other mysteries?
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: Spade on December 19, 2015, 06:41:19 PM
From the Fifth Dimension,which is imagination.Then again Batman was on drugs for that explanation so its not really credible.Since they revealed the identity of Phantom Stranger(hes Judas),we need some other mysteries?

I mean in the whole 52 universe. I remember when they crisesed all the variant universes together that someone decided that different dimensions were not affected by Crisis or Zero Hour, so Qward (the anti-matter dimension) and Mxyzptlk's home (was it still the 5th dimension?) still existed apart from Earth Prime.

I dunno... I prefer that The Phantom Stranger were either The Wandering Jew or a half-fallen angel.

Silver Shocker

I'm still really enjoying Justice League, unfortunately I'm behind in it. Haven't read Darkseid War: Lex Luthor yet, then I gotta read the latest issue of the main book. *sigh* There's never enough time.  :(
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Previous JL(Meltzer/McDuffie) started strong,but then turned into a preview book.This one-is a mixed bag.Some good stories(Throne of Atlantis,Forever Heroes) and some mediocre ones(Villains journey).And Geoff Johns cant write Wonder Woman to save his life,I have to say.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I'm not all that well versed on Wonder Woman, so I can't judge her in the book, but I will she was decent in the Justice League cartoon.

I could definitely talk about Meltzer and McDuffie's runs. Meltzer's I didn't really mind, except I thought the pace was a bit too decompressed and I was a bit turned off by the JSA crossover (fun fact, I never actually picked up the JSA issues of that crossover, so I only half of that storyline), though I appreciated the different cast, with characters like Red Arrow, Vixen and Geoforce.

McDuffie's run, on the other hand, I, for the most part, loved....when it actually felt like he was allowed to write it. It's fairly well documented that DC editorial screwed his book over royally, and he actually got fired from the book over it because he discussed it at length with fans on the message board. Initially he did a really fun Injustice League/Gang story with Lex Luthor in charge that really harkaned back to the JLU cartoon, which he wrote heavily for. Then the conclusion got a little rushed, and we started to get tie-ins, fill-ins, and tie-ins that were also fill-ins, so I started to clue in that something wasn't right. That being said, the work he did to fix the murky continuity involving the 2nd Doctor Light, Kimiyo Hoshi? Aces.  :thumbup: He was even one of the few writers to write her in character with her original portrayal from Crisis on Infinite Earths (that is to say, a less docile, more irritable woman) This got a lampshade in the book to boot.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well,its an old complaint,but Geoff Johns has trouble writing female characters.In this incarnation whenever Wonder Woman says something it about her plans to kill somebody.Seriously,check it,I can wait.And the whole Superman/Wonder Woman pairing...

Actually Injustice gang story from Mcduffie's run is one of my personal favorites,but after that its Salvation Run,Final Crisis-event after event.Meltzers Tornado Path and Lighting Saga are generally good stories.Basically Tornado Path is about JLA running a gauntlet of their old enemies.And it works pretty well.Lightning Saga restores the original LoSH.
-About the JSA series from that time-it was good while Geoff Johns was writing it,but when Bill Willingham took over it just became a mess.NOBODY liked Magog as much as Bill.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

And since we recently discussed him,its worth noting James Robins took over after McDuffie.Other then adding Starman and Congorilla,he doesnt really do anything notable.It was just mediocre IMO.

Grayson #17
Wildcats?Are those The Wildcats?
Jon Farmer

daglob

Hey, it sounds like Neal Adams is bringing Superman back.

Yes, back from the brink...

HarryTrotter

Jean Paul Valley Lives!-in a series I really hated.Cant have everything,I guess.I assume Knightfall didn't happen in this continuity?
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

And the 90s are DEFINITELY back.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

Didn't there used to be more posts in this thread after the Superman Neal Adams post?
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 13, 2016, 07:01:47 PM
And the 90s are DEFINITELY back.
From what I have seen of BAR eternal (well,glanced in 2 issues) its very 90's.In a sort of Youngbloods-are-holding-an-audition way.
Neal Addams is writing Coming of Supermen IIRC?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I'm pretty sure this Neal Adams Superman comic is the one I mentioned hearing about from him back he did signings at my local book store this past year. I know he mentioned that it had to do with the New Gods.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

www.dccomics.com/comics/superman-the-coming-of-the-supermen-2015/superman-the-coming-of-the-supermen-1
Pretty sure thats Coming of Supermen.Multiple Supermen unite against Darkseid,or something like that.Still,sounds interesting.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

www.comicsbeat.com/dc-announces-free-comic-book-day-offerings/
A comic targeted at kids and Suicide Squad just in time for the movie?Thats actually pretty clever.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

www.newsarama.com/27600-dc-comics-april-2016-solicitations.html
Scott Lobdell takes over as writer of Titans Hunt.Thats just great...just great...
Bloodlines.Im serious,Bloodline by J.T Krul.That can only end in good...Thou if Hitman is canon(as seen in Batman and Section Eight) didnt Bloodlines happen in this universe then?Thou,its a good chance to bring Tommy back.I hope DC catches up on that.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/22/dc-comics-to-relaunch-everything-with-1s-again-this-summer-with-a-filmtv-bent/

Maybe we should call this topic DC Comics Reboot Reboot.  They are trying to be like Marvel and adjust their books to the movies and TV shows for guarantee sales.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

Quote from: JeyNyce on January 22, 2016, 07:37:36 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/22/dc-comics-to-relaunch-everything-with-1s-again-this-summer-with-a-filmtv-bent/

Maybe we should call this topic DC Comics Reboot Reboot.  They are trying to be like Marvel and adjust their books to the movies and TV shows for guarantee sales.

Ha, I'm sure that will work out great for them. :P  It isn't like that's the same, shrinking market they'er already fighting over or anything...
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Also Scott Snyder is leaving after Batman #52.There goes one book that was actually selling.
Like Rob Liefeld said-they just dont have the talent for something like this.Editorial talent in their case.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on January 23, 2016, 07:11:44 AM
Also Scott Snyder is leaving after Batman #52.There goes one book that was actually selling.

Sort of. Sure, he's leaving Batman, but he's still actually writing Batman via Detective Comics. So I'm not really sure you can say he's leaving Batman when he's still writing the same one character. Heck, his Detective Comics might even be a straight continuation of his Batman run for all we know.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

GhostMachine

Quote from: Spade on January 23, 2016, 07:11:44 AM
Like Rob Liefeld said-they just dont have the talent for something like this.Editorial talent in their case.

One of the very few times I agree with Liefeld on something.

You know what I hate most about DC restarting all their comics in general? I was looking forward to buying Action Comics #1000 one day when I was a kid. So much for that happening. And even if DC decides to number the issue that would be #1000 if they hadn't done reboots, I'll likely not purchase it. The only properly renumbered comics I ever bought were issues of Captain America and Wonder Woman, and that was only because I was subscribing to both comics through a shop at the time.

kkhohoho

So a while back, there were rumors that DC was going to do another reboot. Again. The good news is that DC isn't doing another reboot, at least in terms of the main DC Universe; they're doing a relaunch, but it isn't really the same thing. The weird news is just what DC is rebooting:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/28/jim-lee-revamps-scooby-doo-for-dc-mad-max-designer-on-wacky-races-amanda-conner-on-the-flintstones-comics/

You read that right. Scooby Doo, Flintstones, and Wacky Races are all getting revamps of one sort or another. Flintstones looks like it'll be the closest to its' source material, but Scooby Doo and especially Wacky Races are both getting post-apocalyptic makeovers. On top of that, they're also taking a League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Approach with Hanna Barbara's action/adventure cartoons such as Johnny Quest, Space Ghost, and many more, merging them into one universe and giving them one big book; Future Quest. That's the one I'll be most interested in personally. I can't really see myself checking out the others other than to make sure they actually exist.

DC's pretty darn confident that these new books will easily hit the Top Sellers list, but I'm not so sure. DC publishes a regular old-fashioned Scooby Doo comic already, and you don't really see that at the top of the charts. Again, I'm still kind of looking forward to Future Quest, but I'm not so sure about everything else.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Main DC universe will just be renumbered IIRC.
Jim Lee and Keith Giffen are working on Scooby Doo?Thats interesting.Also,its nice somebody is doing something for the kids.THINK OF THE KIDS! :-)
Jon Farmer

daglob