News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Its more about company policy this time.Namely,editor Eddie Berganza is a suspected sexual harasser(for years now),and DC refuses to comment on it.That would be it,in a nutshell.Ofc,it sent waves thru the internet and news-sites.
We will see how the situation develops.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

So Midnighter is over.It felt a bit rushed.Still cant believe that they went 2 whole series without him encountering Batman.Come on people,focus...
There is an editorial by Geoff Johns in the back.Rebirth is not a reboot,we hope to welcome returning readers and stuff like that.
Jon Farmer

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: daglob on April 21, 2016, 08:13:53 PM
Quote from: Spade on April 21, 2016, 03:52:52 PM
Hes their true father,provider of the definitive take on the characters,like Alan Moore to Swamp Thing,Claremont to X-men,Garth Ennis to Punisher,Frank Miller to Daredevil,and so on.

Thou,Grant himself started going downhill lately...

I'll take Arnold Drake and Bruno Premani any day...

Ditto, Globby.

Dana

HarryTrotter

http://www.newsarama.com/29144-rebirth-green-arrow-writer-ollie-is-a-social-justice-warrior.html
After Rebirth,Green Arrow returns to fighting for social justice.As Social Justice Warrior.
I honestly expected them to go for more synergy with the TV show.Not that synergy actually works,but...
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Tomato

took 3 weeks and they're barely doing anything. I've basically been following this story off and on from before he was officially named, and the fact that this is all they're doing is insulting. I have friends who are victims of this kind of nonsense, and the fact that Eddie Berganza is still in upper management, much less senior editor in charge of WONDER WOMAN, offends me to no end.

I wasn't really buying DC books anyway, but I definitely will not be buying or reading any now.

HarryTrotter

Im not sure that boycot would solve anything.But demanding some trasparency from DC is an option.
In other un-related news,Darwyn Cooke died this morning. :(
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Oh, I know it won't, but I really can't stomach the idea of spending time and money on a company that's been perfectly content to sweep sexual harassment under the rug for 4 years.

HarryTrotter

Well,even this minimum wouldnt happen if people havent been asking questions on social media.So,the fans can make some difference.
Which also caused Dan DiDio to shut down his twitter.And Dan Slott to argue with everyone.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/all-star-batman-the-hellblazer-more-arrive-in-dc-comics-august-solicitations
August solicitacions:
Superwoman series?Didnt expect that.
SIXPACK AND DOGWELDER: HARD-TRAVELING HEROZ  :D
And some Bob Haney stuff collected.
Its mostly Superman,Batman and Teen Titans titles.And Suicide Squad.No surprises there.
-Anyone read Christopher Priests Ray?Is it similar to Invincible as people claim?
Jon Farmer

Tomato

http://screenrant.com/dc-comics-movies-tv-show-rebirth-logo/

Not that the logo is that big a deal... but really? Didn't they like... JUST change it?

HarryTrotter

Bullet was the best.They should have gone back to that.
Anyhow,the new one is still better then the overlaped D and C.
Jon Farmer

Epimethee

That new logo is... amateurish. Who designed it? Marissa Mayer?

The previous logo, while not perfect, at least had an interesting concept. Not a huge fan of the bullet, as it screams "late 70s sport team", but I agree that it would have been better than the new one and, for that matter, than the 2005 swirl. (Why did every logo from the late nineties had to have a stupid swirl? and was DC so outdated that they had to copy such a hackneyed pattern?)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

HarryTrotter

To be fair,new logo is pretty similar to the pre-bullet ones.And most of their competition are even lazier with logos.
Thou,the C is a bit clunky.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Looks like details of Rebirth got leaked on reddit.Somebody got Rebirth #1 and took photos.
Spoiler
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/135389-dc-rebirth-leak.html
Wally West narrates the book.JSA is back.There are 3 Jokers.Thats what Batman found out from The Chair.
And the biggest one:
Spoiler
We are being WATCHED.
http://i.imgur.com/nCqFMlW.jpg
Yeah,Watchmen are now part of DC universe.Dr Manhattan created the New 52-verse.
:blink: If half of that is correct(otherwise kudos for photoshop skills),its going to be freaking weird.  :wacko:
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on May 21, 2016, 02:17:31 PM
Looks like details of Rebirth got leaked on reddit.Somebody got Rebirth #1 and took photos.
Spoiler
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/135389-dc-rebirth-leak.html
Wally West narrates the book.JSA is back.There are 3 Jokers.Thats what Batman found out from The Chair.
And the biggest one:
Spoiler
We are being WATCHED.
http://i.imgur.com/nCqFMlW.jpg
Yeah,Watchmen are now part of DC universe.Dr Manhattan created the New 52-verse.
:blink: If half of that is correct(otherwise kudos for photoshop skills),its going to be freaking weird.  :wacko:

WHY?!
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

daglob

Spoiler
So, it's going to be DR. Manhattan's hand that always holds the infant universe now?

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on May 21, 2016, 03:57:47 PM
Spoiler
So, it's going to be DR. Manhattan's hand that always holds the infant universe now?

Or it always was his hand?This is confusing.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

The description I saw described it in a very meta way...
Spoiler
Dr. Manhattan is responsible for the current state of the DCU, to parallel that Watchmen is responsible (indirectly) for the current state of DC comics.  I don't entirely agree with that assessment myself, but that's how it was put.

HarryTrotter

Geoff Johns confirmed everything in an interview for USA Today.
Nice that they are trying to win back old readers.Not sure it will work,but nice of them.
On the other hand...
Spoiler
Watchmen
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

DC Rebirth #1

Spoiler
Wally West is back.Batman finds the badge.And the whole thing ends with somebody dismantling a watch on Mars and talking to somebody named Adrian.Its mostly a preview for upcoming storylines.Johnny Thunder has to reassemble the JSA.Constantine and Swamp Thing have a plan to get rid of the capes.Aquaman got engaged.And so on.
Still a bit better then I expected.
Jon Farmer

abenavides

Buying this later today. And I seldom pick up single comics anymore.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

HarryTrotter

I guess Im just that good at sales. :)
Spoiler
Gotham-Somebody from Batmans past as ussual?Another caped hero for DK to fight?
Oh yeah,Wonder Woman has a twin brother named Jason.Thats odd.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Guys, can we at least try not to spoil the book outside of spoiler tags? The bloody thing just came out yesterday.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Spoiler
Wait a minute, is Superman dead again?

kkhohoho

Quote from: daglob on May 27, 2016, 01:59:06 AM
Spoiler
Wait a minute, is Superman dead again?

Spoiler
Yes and no. Yes, a Superman is dead. No, a Superman is still alive. Basically, the Nu52 Superman kicked the bucket, while the Post Crisis Superman was brought directly into the Nu52 continuity from the Post Crisis universe. In other words, they swapped out the new Superman for the older one that everyone liked. Comics!
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

daglob

Spoiler
Still like to see a series entitled Superman '55.

spydermann93

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 27, 2016, 02:03:26 AM

Spoiler
Yes and no. Yes, a Superman is dead. No, a Superman is still alive. Basically, the Nu52 Superman kicked the bucket, while the Post Crisis Superman was brought directly into the Nu52 continuity from the Post Crisis universe. In other words, they swapped out the new Superman for the older one that everyone liked. Comics!
Spoiler
Did new52 Supes die to that whole "Use Kryptonite to get your powers back!" plot device?

HarryTrotter

Okay,so how right is it for DC to use
Spoiler
Watchmen
characters,considering how they treated their creators?
Last year,Outhouse joked that Jim Lee is redrawing
Spoiler
Watchmen and adding a high collar to a naked blue guy.
:rolleyes:
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I appreciate that you guys tagged the spoilers.
Spade, not for nothing, but the thing you're talking about in your last post? You blew it earlier in the thread.

Quote from: Spade on May 27, 2016, 05:18:19 AM
Okay,so how right is it for DC to use
Spoiler
Watchmen
characters,considering how they treated their creators?
Last year,Outhouse joked that Jim Lee is redrawing
Spoiler
Watchmen and adding a high collar to a naked blue guy.
:rolleyes:

Spoiler
  Linkara's got an in depth answer for that.
tl;dr? "We've got to have money!"
How is it right legally? DC owns the rights. Morally? That's debatable, but DC is a business and businesses are in the business of making money, and Moore's got no kind words for them anyway, so they figure it's worth it.
Creatively? Zero F's given. It's been said time and again that Watchmen is a complete story that said all it needed to say, but DC's obviously not that worried about that, and it's entirely possible that between the editors, the writers, the artists ect. they feel that both with Before Watchmen and this, there are "good stories" to be told. Full disclosure: I've not read BW, and I'm not really in a hurry to, but I've read at least one review and I've seen select scans and such and nothing I've seen justified the project.

And you know what? Years ago when BW came out, I was kind of against the idea, but now I'm not so sure. If Superman and Batman and so many others can have countless different iterations and be bigger than one creator, than whose to say Doc Manhattan can't be? After all, the original plan was just to have them be Captain Atom, Question, ect. It definitely worked out better that they became OCs, but that was decades now, and creator owned titles have their at Image and other publishers that didn't exist back then.

Cynical as it may be, it's not art. It's product.

I should probably mention what I thought of the book itself eh? I quite liked it.  It's pretty much "Author's Saving Throw the comic" but I'm fine with that and most of the new developments actually do have me intrigued for future stories.

Spoiler
Also, I really hate to nitpick, but we were told we would learn the Joker's NAME in the comic. We didn't. We learned another gonzo re imagined origin for the Joker that I'm skeptical about. But I'll say this, it's at least better than the stupid "Immortal caveman" origin from Snyder's otherwise really good Batman run

I read JL first, because it comes first (and just for the record, that WW thing was a major reveal in JL, so It's ALSO a spoiler) and while admittedly it was starting to turn into a shonen manga with all the bullcrap plot twists at the end, I liked that too. I'm still loving the direction with Lex Luthor (who IMO was the best part of Johns' run to begin with) and as it stands, I gotta say, I'm genuinely tempted to pick up Action Comics starring Lex Luthor. I'm already picking up JL #51 and #52, and one of them is a pilot for that run. I can't remember which one though, because DC recently announced they were swapping them around, but whatever. Plus I like Dan Jurgens, so there's that. I've actually been tempted to pick up some Superman runs from the last few years anyway.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa