Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: DC Comics Reboot  (Read 54041 times)

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
Re: DC Comics Reboot
« Reply #1410 on: October 05, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »

The Shadow-Batman #1 I didn't got far with the last one,so maybe this will be better.This issue was average.

A lot of this I have no problem with. I just have to ask: why does The Shadow have to have super powers? He didn't in the pulps (oddly enough, Shiwan Khan had "the ability to cloud men's minds"), he was just incredibly prepared. He studied his opponent, used his knowledge of the city to plan getaways, moved his agents like chess pieces, gathered clues, made deductions, developed theories, and planned his "attack". If wounded, other than the purple liquid, he used willpower, training, and gumption to get though to safely. If cornered, he used every resource he possessed and every mistake his opponent made to escape. He used his skill at hypnotism when his plain old spookiness wasn't enough (criminals are, after all, a cowardly and superstitious lot) in interrogation. I know that in the original S&S comics, he really could turn invisible (somewhat like the radio show), and then Archie did the costumed hero version, but DC returned him to his pulpy origins (mostly) when they did his comics in the '70s. Since then, he has had these "powers". He is no longer the most skilled crime fighter this side of Batman, he is a super-hero, with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. I know, I threat a lot of these as alternate world versions, but is it really necessary for him to be a reformed crook instead of a patriotic soldier/spy? Did he really have to go to some high-tech Shangri-La and learn mystic abilities? What may bother me the most is that he has also seems to have acquired The Spider's attitude toward criminals: the only good one is a dead one. He did not kill all crooks who crossed his path. That may be the problem: to me the current version is more like a  combination of The Spider and The Shadow, with bits of Dr. Strange tossed in.

I'm reading Death About Town, and enjoying it immensely. Now I realize that it would not make a good comic book story, but didn't they used to have Batman do detective work before he walked into a comic book version of Silence of the Lambs?
Yeah, I know I'm getting old and grumpy and have a hurricane pointed in my direction (we are now on the bad side of the track)

Offline Glitch Girl

• ERROR: Title not found
  • Titans
  • If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #1411 on: October 05, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »
Grant is now EiC of Heavy Metal Magazine.How the mighty have fallen.

I wouldn't say that exactly.  From what I heard he's trying to make it more science and surreal and less T&A.   I haven't heard how it's going so who knows.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because itís the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #1412 on: October 05, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »
Savage Sword of Dear Jebus.Nuff said.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #1413 on: October 05, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
Grant is now EiC of Heavy Metal Magazine.How the mighty have fallen.

I wouldn't say that exactly.  From what I heard he's trying to make it more science and surreal and less T&A.   I haven't heard how it's going so who knows.

I've never been able to understand why those have to be mutually exclusive... ;)

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #1414 on: November 08, 2017, 05:55:08 AM »
Ready to get your mind blown?Brian Michael Bendis signed on with DC.Exclusivly.
Im not even kidding.
Jon Farmer

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #1415 on: November 08, 2017, 05:59:05 AM »
Oh good, now he can complete the ruination of Dc and Marvel can maybe start putting out comics worth reading again. Yeah, I seriously doubt the second part but am damn sure the first part is true of my statement.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #1416 on: November 13, 2017, 04:12:29 PM »
Im somewhere at a halfway point of Peter David's Aquaman and I cant help but notice that Aquaman had a lot of tweaks over the years.From the blue suit to being Chtullu,and thats just the stuff I have read.
Jon Farmer

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #1417 on: November 13, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
Well, I suppose it's lucky I'm not reading any modern DC other than Aquaman.  I can't imagine this will end well.

HT, yeah, they've been desperate to find a winning formula, and that's led to a lot of terrible, gimmicky ideas.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #1418 on: November 13, 2017, 06:24:17 PM »
I imagine we wont see Bendis this year.Rebirth is in its end game,so we can either expect a new reboot after that,or Bendis will be revamping something "smaller".Maybe Batwoman,Question,Teen Titans,Legion of Super Heroes...

Thou,none of those looks survive a series.Or a writer change.Villains also have a similar thing.Ocean Master is sometimes half-Atlantean,and Black Manta is sometimes a humanoid manta.Its pretty weird.
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #1419 on: November 14, 2017, 08:44:53 PM »
DC fires Eddie Berganza.Took them a while,and I imagine a multitude of recent events got them to clean their own house.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:52:03 PM by HarryTrotter »
Jon Farmer