News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Quote from: HarryTrotter on October 04, 2017, 03:32:36 PM

The Shadow-Batman #1 I didn't got far with the last one,so maybe this will be better.This issue was average.

A lot of this I have no problem with. I just have to ask: why does The Shadow have to have super powers? He didn't in the pulps (oddly enough, Shiwan Khan had "the ability to cloud men's minds"), he was just incredibly prepared. He studied his opponent, used his knowledge of the city to plan getaways, moved his agents like chess pieces, gathered clues, made deductions, developed theories, and planned his "attack". If wounded, other than the purple liquid, he used willpower, training, and gumption to get though to safely. If cornered, he used every resource he possessed and every mistake his opponent made to escape. He used his skill at hypnotism when his plain old spookiness wasn't enough (criminals are, after all, a cowardly and superstitious lot) in interrogation. I know that in the original S&S comics, he really could turn invisible (somewhat like the radio show), and then Archie did the costumed hero version, but DC returned him to his pulpy origins (mostly) when they did his comics in the '70s. Since then, he has had these "powers". He is no longer the most skilled crime fighter this side of Batman, he is a super-hero, with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. I know, I threat a lot of these as alternate world versions, but is it really necessary for him to be a reformed crook instead of a patriotic soldier/spy? Did he really have to go to some high-tech Shangri-La and learn mystic abilities? What may bother me the most is that he has also seems to have acquired The Spider's attitude toward criminals: the only good one is a dead one. He did not kill all crooks who crossed his path. That may be the problem: to me the current version is more like a  combination of The Spider and The Shadow, with bits of Dr. Strange tossed in.

I'm reading Death About Town, and enjoying it immensely. Now I realize that it would not make a good comic book story, but didn't they used to have Batman do detective work before he walked into a comic book version of Silence of the Lambs?
Yeah, I know I'm getting old and grumpy and have a hurricane pointed in my direction (we are now on the bad side of the track)

Glitch Girl

QuoteGrant is now EiC of Heavy Metal Magazine.How the mighty have fallen.

I wouldn't say that exactly.  From what I heard he's trying to make it more science and surreal and less T&A.   I haven't heard how it's going so who knows.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

HarryTrotter

Savage Sword of Dear Jebus.Nuff said.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 05, 2017, 05:17:56 PM
QuoteGrant is now EiC of Heavy Metal Magazine.How the mighty have fallen.

I wouldn't say that exactly.  From what I heard he's trying to make it more science and surreal and less T&A.   I haven't heard how it's going so who knows.

I've never been able to understand why those have to be mutually exclusive... ;)

HarryTrotter

Ready to get your mind blown?Brian Michael Bendis signed on with DC.Exclusivly.
Im not even kidding.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Oh good, now he can complete the ruination of Dc and Marvel can maybe start putting out comics worth reading again. Yeah, I seriously doubt the second part but am damn sure the first part is true of my statement.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

HarryTrotter

Im somewhere at a halfway point of Peter David's Aquaman and I cant help but notice that Aquaman had a lot of tweaks over the years.From the blue suit to being Chtullu,and thats just the stuff I have read.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Well, I suppose it's lucky I'm not reading any modern DC other than Aquaman.  I can't imagine this will end well.

HT, yeah, they've been desperate to find a winning formula, and that's led to a lot of terrible, gimmicky ideas.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

I imagine we wont see Bendis this year.Rebirth is in its end game,so we can either expect a new reboot after that,or Bendis will be revamping something "smaller".Maybe Batwoman,Question,Teen Titans,Legion of Super Heroes...

Thou,none of those looks survive a series.Or a writer change.Villains also have a similar thing.Ocean Master is sometimes half-Atlantean,and Black Manta is sometimes a humanoid manta.Its pretty weird.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

DC fires Eddie Berganza.Took them a while,and I imagine a multitude of recent events got them to clean their own house.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/139682-dc-comics-february-2018-solicitations.html
There is a Young Animal/DC crossover,Tom King once again didnt do any research,and there is that Dark Matter imprint
(is it an imprint,Im not sure?).Launching new superheroes in waves never worked before,but having DiDio and Venditti as writers doesnt fill me with confidence either.
Oh and I guess Michael Cray is a lincenced take on Marshal Law.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I missed it, what did Tom "I think I'm the only writer who's ever written Batman" King do this time?
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Actually it pretty minor by King standards,but hes doing an arc about how falling friendship of Batman and Wonder Woman is tearing the DCU or something.

They were always such great friends.Right up there with Green Arrow/Hawkman bromance.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Doomsday Clock #1 It was okay.Or at least better then the prequels,so far.
Demon Hell is Earth #1 Bland,generic,and feels like a ripoff of a Ghost Rider story.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I quite enjoyed Doomsday Clock myself. The story didn't get very far, but it feels like it's on the right foot, and they do seem to be trying to honor the style of the original. Very impressed by those 9-panel grids and text pages. Fun fact, when I was at the comic book store on Wednesday, I literally made a joke about them making the comic as long a read as possible by adding text pages like the original, without actually knowing they put those in that book. Neat.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

JeyNyce

The next New Comic Book Day (12/6) DC will be dropping the "Rebirth" logo on their comics.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

http://collectededitions.blogspot.co.id/2017/11/dark-nights-metal-electric-superman.html?m=1
Good thing about the movies is that they got DC to collect a lot of weird stuff.And finaly,Impulse by Mark Waid omnibus. :)
Also Justice League Task Force,Man Bat,and a lot o Brian K Vaughn.Cant say I follow the logic there.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

So far,Priest's JL has been weird.Promising,but his take on characters is odd.
Thou,pitting the Justice League against islamic terrorists takes some jimmies.  :)
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

DC Comics now have "DC Universe" in the corner. For the mainstream universe books I assume. I'm fine with that I guess.

Also, Tom King may or may not be writing Booster Gold. I'm iffy on this. All I ask is he not write him strictly as a surface level dudebro glory hound sell-out. That's the one thing you have you have to get right if you write Booster. Also, don't do the Tom King Batman thing where you do characterization and ideas we've seen a million times before and present it as if it's groundbreaking stuff (or as I like to call it, "Tom I-think-I'm-the-only-writer-to-ever-write-Batman King")
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Catching up with Metal,and its okay.It dooesnt quite deliver on the promise of Justice League vs Dark Judges.And we are once again trying to fix Hawkman.And trying to piece together all the immortals in the DCU.There is a lot going on...

There was also talk about King writing Swamp Thing,so we can at least be certain  he is working on some new project.Yey :(
Also,Bendis is now officialy working for DC.And he might be doing something Superman related.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Oh I almost forgot. Doomsday Clock.

I'm still enjoying it.

Spoiler
It's got Rorshach stealing Batman's pancakes, and the first thing Batman says to him is "You're eating my breakfast." That's pretty fun.

Huh, so Luthor turned evil again in Superman prior to this. I actually didn't know that. Oh well, years of character development down the drain, that was fun while it lasted. Also apparently DC's version of Civil War started off screen too? Or was that in Metal or something?
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Im kinda stuck here,but what do you mean by Civil war?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

The public distrusting super heroes. Which admittedly, is not exclusive to Civil War, so a poor comparison on my part.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well,Watchmen did it first.
Jon Farmer

daglob

The whole Mutant Menace thing has been going on since the 1960s. I got tired of it around 1980.

HarryTrotter

Thou,I think thats a bit different from "beware the supermen" angle of everything post Miracleman,which would also be different from "superheroes would have to be sanctioned by the gov" angle of everything post Ultimates.Okay,I know Ultimates wasnt the first series with that approach,but its an example.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

JL #37 Greatest comic book villain of all time,The Fan.No really,thats his name,thats his gimmick.How meta...
Damage #1 is a decent Hulk issues.So kudos,your actually better Marvel then Marvel.

Looks like Promethea will show up in (possibly join) JLA.I think that leaves only Tommorow stories unintegrated in the main DCU.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Doomsday Clock is now bi-monthly. Not surprised by that, I can live with that.

Also, Tom King is indeed doing Booster Gold, in the pages of his Batman run. Time (pun intended) will tell if he does right by Booster.

Action Comics #1000 will feature a all-star roster of writers and artists, including Marv Wolfman writing a new story based on unpublished Curt Swan art, and Bendis writing a story. Also Supes is going back to the red trunks. I imagine some fans will be happy about that. I'm actually getting warm and fuzzy about it myself.

A Hardcover collection of Grant Morrison's Batman run will include a new three page story written and drawn by Chris Burnham recapping the events of the "Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul" crossover that Morrison's Batman took part in. That's a pretty nifty alternative to including the whole crossover.

[edit] I incorrectly referred to the red trunks as the blue trunks. I have a tendency to do that a lot lately. I think it's because people sometimes call Superman "Big Blue"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Superman getting his trunks back is the best thing to happen to modern comics in half a decade.  :D

I haven't bought a Superman book in ages and ages, but I may just pick this one up.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Looks like Bendis is doing a Byrne thing with Superman.After a mini (cleaverly named Man of Steel),he will be taking over (relaunched as #1) Superman and Action Comics.
And I will probably be reading two DC titles less.Or is that fewer?
Jon Farmer