Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

daglob

Somebody has done that before, but I'm not sure if it was Marvel or Image.

kkhohoho

Also, speaking of Bendis taking over Superman, someone from another forum (credit goes to one shanejayell, case you're curious,) posted this little potential scenario:

QuoteWhen Bendis takes over Superman....

Superman: Disassembled

Lois Lane awakens to a empty apartment. She soon discovers that her married life with Superman, Jon, ALL of it were illusions created by Dr Psycho.

Driven insane Lois kills Psycho and escapes, She bombs the Daily Planet, killing all the reporters and madly declaring war on Superman, whom she blames for her losses...

The scary thing is? He might actually do it. :blink:
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on February 04, 2018, 03:44:41 PM
Somebody has done that before, but I'm not sure if it was Marvel or Image.
I was being sarcastic.
Jon Farmer

daglob

I figured that. I was kind of making a joke, but it wasn't funny, Sorry.

HarryTrotter

Good news is,DC will start a kid oriented imprint.Bad news is,mostly written by young adult novelists.Yes the same people who alianated everyone from Marvel are supposed to attract kids now.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Swamp Thing Winter Special is a rare cas of King trying too hard.Closing narration is an apology for fumbling,litterary.No really,it closes with a sports commentary from a radio...
JL #38 This would make CW writers cringe.Nobody likes me because Im not Superman,blah blah...But at least somebody calls out Batman for starting a League with Lobo.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

justice League #39 The Fan cosplays as Kal Aquaman,Aquaman gets the blue suit back,people thrall about stuff on twitter,thou there are some cool continuity nods...Priests run devolved into a convulated mess.
Michael Cray #5 Lovecraftian take on Aquaman.I wonder if somebody did it before.
Superman #41 It was an okay arc.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Scooby Doo Team-Up has been doing a kind of forgotten heroes thing (including some of The Forgotten Heroes). This issue includes Angel and the Ape, The Maniacs, Stanley and Massachusetts, The Inferior 5, and I'm pretty sure I saw Scooter, too. There is a mention of Goody Rickles, and two of the characters are versions of Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope.

Wonder where Super-Hip is...

HarryTrotter

JL #40
So Fans are an organization,apparently.Those evil scumbags who just want the return of the original JLA.Wait,what?
If Giffen did it in 1988. It would have been hilarious;now its just yelling: Look at me,Im so meta.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Is it a condemnation of real fans like Superboy Prime or that one scene from the New 52 JLI?  Or something more harmless?

The way you've described this book as it goes on it's almost sounding like Priest knows his run on the book is about to end and he's just lashing out at this point.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

The Fan is a villain who wants Hal Jordan back,to give everyone a makeover,and to kill CW-JLA.
Its kinda like Superboy Prime,only his bitching made sense.The Fan (and The Fans) are pretty pointless.
I mean,we have Hal Jordan,JL is mostly in its classic lineup,I dont really see a problem here.Its just weirdly timed.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

JL #40 Now we have Justice League crashing in the middle of a multiple side civil war and a refugee crisis,complete with a not-Black Panther.Im sure it makes sense for people who keept up with Deathstroke.
IMO,its not a good run (thou,there are worst ones),but watching it collapse under its own weight has been pretty entertaining.
Jon Farmer

daglob

So, another month of the team-up between The Scooby Crew and as many of DC's Silver Age humor characters as they can squeeze in (no Fox and Crow, though; I know it was licensed but so were Bob and Jerry. Come to think of it, no Dobie Gillis clone, either). The bad guys would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those...

And still no Super-Hip. ;)

HarryTrotter

So far Earth One books were all over the place in terms of quality(What the funt was Morrison smoking when he wrote WW EO,I dont want to know), but Green Lantern is probably the best one so far.This how an update of mythos should look like.All the familiar elements are here,just arranged differently.And its 20 minutes in the future...
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

https://www.cbr.com/dc-justice-league-dark-odyssey-wondercon-announcement/
We are getting a DCAU lineup of Justice League. :thumbup:
Also,Swamp Thing looks like Alan Moore.Oh,and Detective Chimp.  :)
Also DC,its high time to revive Shadowpact.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

JL #42
Simon: We get sort out all these warring tribes.What,should we go to Palestine next?
Jessica: You mean Israel?
Simon: Do I?

Wow,this is Barr's Outsiders level edgy stuff right here.And Deathstroke does "what needs to be done" because League is a bunch of incompetent cucks (I dont like that buzzword,but is really approapriate here),apparently.

Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

I wouldn't use that word around here. This is pretty much a G-rated forum.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: GhostMachine on April 07, 2018, 05:32:20 AM
Palestine?Outsiders?Detective Chimp?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on April 07, 2018, 12:06:13 PM
Quote from: GhostMachine on April 07, 2018, 05:32:20 AM
Palestine?Outsiders?Detective Chimp?

C***s.

HarryTrotter

Are we doing this?Really?
In this context,It was used to get across how characters are portrayed.Not any different from "Batman is really emo these days".
If it offended somebodies sensibilities,Im sorry.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Since he was using it to paraphrase a comic, it's something of a gray area.  I assume that was the word actually used in the comic? 

Nevertheless, Kk is right, and that is a term we wouldn't really want thrown around here, which is something I would think HT would agree with, actually, as he doesn't care for the term himself, right?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 07, 2018, 02:53:16 PM
Since he was using it to paraphrase a comic, it's something of a gray area.  I assume that was the word actually used in the comic? 

Nevertheless, Kk is right, and that is a term we wouldn't really want thrown around here, which is something I would think HT would agree with, actually, as he doesn't care for the term himself, right?
Agreed.
I was just poking fun at the issue,no offense meant to anyone.Again,sorry if somebody took it too seriously.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

<walks in, realizes he's rated R for language, violence, rare sexual innunindo, foul odour, tons of booze, and stuff> Well...hrmph...<walks back out>

:P
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Silver Shocker

For whatever its worth, I don't care for that term myself either. I find it an ugly term, usually used by ugly (on the inside) people.

That being said, in the case of Priest's JL run, it's clearly very politically charged. It's kinda hard to discuss the book without discussing what happens in the book. I had been meaning to say, I think Priest's politically charged angle is a poor fit for the Justice League, they're usually a fairly apolitical group, at least in the stuff I've read and watched.

Lastly, I just want to point out, this is NOT a "G" rated forum. It's closer to PG or PG-13. That's what I'd heard mods and admins say on the forum for well over a decade, and more to the point, you generally can't say "Damn", "Hell" (even in a literal sense) and "crap" in a G-Rated anything, and those words are regularly used on this forum without censorship, nor can you overtly reference anything even lightly political such as racial politics (not without a fantasy stand-in, mind you). To quote a forum member, Protomorph, who I don't think is around anymore "And, btw, "family friendly" doesn't necessarily mean rated 'G'. (or else all we'd be talking about is the latest Disney schlock)

it means no profanity, no graphic violence and no explicit sexual material. Rated PG stuff. "

That quote is from 2005. I find the reference to "Disney shlock" amusing with hindsight.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Yeah,for a man who "hates" Garth Ennis,Priest ends up being worst in this case.JL is completly incompetent,or at least incapable of dealing with realistic situations.Such as civil war here.Their outdated morals keep them from ever actually acomplishing anything.They sit around arguing about due process,when they could just whack the villain.The book is pretty blatant about that.So they do end up looking like...bystanders in their own book.
Only time it lets up is to beat you over the head with its Fanboy villain whos grivances are 20 years out of date.
To borrow a term,Hilariocity at every page.
And once again,why havent the superpeople took over the world?Its been done to death,then ressurected in an event,let it go already.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

SS, you're right, and that is a more accurate description.  Nonetheless, a term like the one in question would be in poor taste and certainly against the spirit of the forums if used in earnest.  Of course, that isn't happening here, so no worries.

I also agree about the League.  I haven't read the stories in question (it's modern, ain't it?  :P ), but such political minutia feels very out of place in the stories of the demigods of DC.  Of course, there have been political angles in JLA stories before.  Heck, the whole social relevance era of the 70s was full of it, but even those heavy-handed stories didn't seem quite as mired in the specifics of their day's political landscape.  Of course, that could just be the effect of distance and the evolving zeitgeist that gives me that impression.  After all, Ollie's impassioned speeches about environmentalism in O'Neil's run on the book amount to little more than, 'hey, maybe we shouldn't pour literal poison into our drinking water.'  The positions seem incredibly obvious in this day and age.

In general, though, I prefer my comics to be less political.  I definitely think one of the great strengths of superhero comics in general is their power as escapist fiction, as they create bright, colorful, and hopeful worlds where men and women are better than those in ours and have a great power of agency, where someone is coming to the rescue and help is just around the corner.  That is undercut when you bring the petty ugliness of the real world constantly crashing into your stories.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Actually,this reminds me a lot of that time Chris Claremont took over JLA (not that I like to be reminded of Tenth Circle  &lt;_&lt;)
From "Hey look,its that guy who did some good stuff for Marvel 2 decades ago" hype to "I played football in high school" level of self-referencing.We know you wrote Black Panther,and it was a great run that lost steam by the halfway point,but you don't have to transplant him in Deathstroke.

Which all has me even more worried about Bendis.Jessica Jones joins Supermans supporting cast or Steel becomes Luke Cage or something like that?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on April 08, 2018, 06:21:39 PM
Actually,this reminds me a lot of that time Chris Claremont took over JLA (not that I like to be reminded of Tenth Circle  &lt;_&lt;)
From "Hey look,its that guy who did some good stuff for Marvel 2 decades ago" hype to "I played football in high school" level of self-referencing.We know you wrote Black Panther,and it was a great run that lost steam by the halfway point,but you don't have to transplant him in Deathstroke.

Which all has me even more worried about Bendis.Jessica Jones joins Supermans supporting cast or Steel becomes Luke Cage or something like that?

Or worse yet, Bendis turns Lois Lane into Jessica. ;)

HarryTrotter

All of his characters sound like mouthpieces for the same hivemind anyway,so who will know the difference?
Yeah,track record of Marvel superstars coming over to DC wasnt that great.Well,Trinity stands out as decent,but ultimatly forgettable effort.
Jon Farmer