News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

Oh make no mistake, I'm expecting Bendis on Superman to be a flipping garbage fire. As soon as 1000 and the Action one-shot are out and I've read those I'm getting the heck out of dodge when it comes to Big Blue. Those Red Trunks doe.

Bendis would be far more suited to a gritty, non-powered, non-team crime book like Batman. Keep in mind, when I say Batman, I mean, ideally, a Batman book that has no Robin, no Batgirl, no Nightwing, no Cassandra Caine, no Spoiler, ect, because I don't trust Bendis to touch those characters with a ten-foot pole. Now, even more so, you know what book Bendis would be PERFECT for? Gotham Central. Or Renee Montoya Question. Unless of course, you're particularly attached to the Greg Rucka characterization of such characters, because B's might not synch up with them.

Speaking of not great Batman, here's what happens in the Tom King Batman run with Booster Gold:

Spoiler
Booster goes back in time and tries to prevent the Wayne's deaths....with disastrous results! How wacky and original! [sarcasm]

Well, I had low expectations for Tom King's Booster and it did not disappoint. As someone online pointed out, Jurgens already did something similar in Action Comics recently, (and I have no doubt it was better) and we're expected to lavish praise this
time because it's Tom "I think I'm the only writer to ever write Batman Booster Gold" King, but not only that, they already did this story in the pre-New 52 Booster Gold run. Only it was about preventing Ted Kord's death and preventing Barbara Gordon from getting shot. You'd think Booster would learn his lesson by some point.

In other news, the Joker plot point from John's Justice League will be followed up on in an upcoming story by Johns and Jason Fabok, who worked on that Justice League arc. It's a strange story concept (kinda like having two Wally Wests) but I'll probably pick it up because I love that creative team. Then again, Johns has never been good with Batman continuity when he actually tackles it....
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Like I said,losing 2 more titles off my list is going to be noticable.Seeing I already read 2-4 titles a week.
Batman family lacks a streetwise jive talking dude,so Im out of ideas there...
As I read somewhere,Gotham Central was inspired by Bendis' Sam & Twitch.Decent title,if you can hunt it down.Which,btw,is getting a tv series written,directed and produced by Kevin Smith.So I guess only 3 episodes will ever be made.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Board ate my post,it appears,so anyway...
On the topic of comics have always been political...its not easy to compare then and now in that regards.Even as preachy and hamfisted as presented there,we all know pollution is bad.We all knew drugs are bad.There is no malicious intent in the story.
When you open an average book now,you dont see that.You see pure bile aimed at its own fans.Expecially white guys named Chad and those who dare to follow evil youtube critics.
In general;there are exceptions,ofc.All of them outside Marvel,oddly enough.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

...Hanging Chad, the newest white super villian nobody knew existed nor wanted. :P
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

GhostMachine

Bendis is almost as bad as Chris Claremont.

Bendis can take a story that could be done in one or two issues and pad it out to six.

Claremont can take something that could be said in five words, and say it in twenty. (If he was a speaker, he'd be someone who loves the sound of their own voice, basically.)

The difference is Claremont is a better storyteller than Bendis.

kkhohoho

Quote from: GhostMachine on April 14, 2018, 05:45:24 PM
Bendis is almost as bad as Chris Claremont.

Bendis can take a story that could be done in one or two issues and pad it out to six.

Claremont can take something that could be said in five words, and say it in twenty. (If he was a speaker, he'd be someone who loves the sound of their own voice, basically.)

The difference is Claremont is a better storyteller than Bendis.

Exactly. Say what you will about Claremont's dialogue, (which was still better than nearly everyone else at the time,) but the stories he told were groundbreaking tour de force's. Whereas most of Bendis' are... not.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

In Claremonts defense,they were paying him by the word.Not that it makes any difference for the reader.
And yes,for the record,there are plenty of Marvel superstars who came over to DC and did good stuff.Wolfman,Perez,Miller and oh yeah,Jack Kirby.But in recent times....like I said,I still remember when DC hyped Claremont and Byrne doing a JLA story and then they did Tenth Circle.Sweet Neron,that was one case when Chuck Austen taking over was an improvment.And then there was Sovereign Seven...
http://www.armagideon-time.com/?p=3648
And I fear history will repeat itself here.Because in both cases,its a decade too late for the writer...
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Im taking another try at Orlando's JLofA.I wasnt wrong the first time.
Extremists,Microverse,Ray Palmer,Sentient Planet...references dont make a story.And a rotating team of artists doesnt help.
You have the JLA fighting a bunch of Roman-styled chimera-riding dudes.If that wasnt done in webcomic style,it would have been awesome.
But worst of all,it reminds you that you could be reading better comics.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Spoiler
Vril Dox
is in No Justice #2.And thats awesome.Could we see a
Spoiler
L.E.G.I.O.N
revival?
Superman Special feels like its setting up Stone to be a newCaptain America General Glory.Considering the style of Dark Matter line,Im surprised there isnt a General Glory book.

Hawkman by Venditti and Hitch.That could work.Mind you,we will probably get 5 issues in 3 years,but it could work.Thou,they seem more fit for Katar then Carter.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Man of Steel #1 wasnt all that terrible.But nothing really happens (a new supporting character is introduced and we get  some info on the villain),so I cant judge it yet.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Man of Steel #2 Still very little to go on.We know something happened to Supermans family.I hope Bendis didnt go there.
Justice League #1.Surprisingly good actually.Snyder works out a sort of Justice League Unlimited by the way of Grant Morrison approach.A small complain,but this really shows how messed up the post Rebirth continuity is.
Martian Manhunter was just absent from the League a long time.Costume display in the Hall of Justice shows a lot of people who were never in the League post-Flashpoint.
On the other hand,whole bunch of cameos(we havent seen Adam Strange in a while before this),John Stewart and Hawkgirl in the League,and League of Doom.

And an announced Vertigo reboot.Whole approach seems to be "woke people writing for woke people". They hired Zoe Quinn to write a comic.Let that sink in for a moment.  :banghead:
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on June 09, 2018, 07:55:18 AM
And an announced Vertigo reboot.Whole approach seems to be "woke people writing for woke people".

And promoting diversity and addressing social issues is a problem because...

HarryTrotter

Well,we could argue,but whats the point?
Im gonna do my part and not buy any of it and you do your part and preorder all of that.
Thou,I would suggest looking at solicitations themselves before trying to bait someone.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on June 09, 2018, 10:18:04 PM
Well,we could argue,but whats the point?
Im gonna do my part and not buy any of it and you do your part and preorder all of that.
Thou,I would suggest looking at solicitations themselves before trying to bait someone.

Personally, I'm curious why you'd think there was anything to bait to begin with. But maybe that's just me.

HarryTrotter

Passive-agressive much?
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

I'm stepping in and telling you two to behave before things go too far and the mods step in. Let's remeber, this is a forum based on respect and all that stuff.  And before someone says someone else started it...I don't care, I'm ending it before it becomes something beyond where we are.

Jeez...can't believe I'm the one having to step in...

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Deaths Jester on June 10, 2018, 05:03:38 AMJeez...can't believe I'm the one having to step in...

That's like when the thief and the psionicist become the front-line of combat.  "Stuff" just got real!
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

daglob

I've been a Plastic Man fan since the '60s, so I read the first issue of this new mini-series. Now, he's always been kind of silly and jokey, but this version reminds me of some kind of pool character.

HarryTrotter

Tom King is doing his own version of Identity Crisis.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on June 14, 2018, 12:54:50 AM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on June 10, 2018, 05:03:38 AMJeez...can't believe I'm the one having to step in...

That's like when the thief and the psionicist become the front-line of combat.  "Stuff" just got real!

Well..that's fitting seeing as I usually play a thief...but I'd never be caught alive near a psionicist....those things are useless...

HarryTrotter

Batman #50,well that was pointless.And it only took 50 issues for this punchline.I can see why people are calling this DC's Last Jedi.
Oddly enough Alfred/Bruce relationship is the only thing King gets right.
Man of Steel #6 wasnt just pointless.It was also a stupid mess.I wont be reading from now on,which means Im pretty much done with (ongoing) DC.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Techinically it's "Fly you fools" [as in use the Eagles LOL] but yeah. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tom King is the most overated comics writer...ever? It really does seem like manufactured hype.

Batman #50. What a goshdarn mess that was. I heard it was bad and then I looked at some more articles about it and I was like....oh for eff's sake...

Spoiler
Tom King turning Bane into a evil mastermind who's behind everything Norman Osborn style, apparently in complete disregard for what every other writer has been doing with the Rebirth narrative (??? Am I getting that right? I did read that right right? We're supposed to believe Bane had a hand in the whole Flashback/Rebirth thing even though we already know it was Doc Manhattan?) And of course we gotta have a confrontation between Batman and Flashpoint Batman...which we already saw in Convergence. And I doubt it will be as good here as it was in that.

Yeah I did see that Bruce Alfred scene and that part rings true, not sure about the rest.

Last Jedi? Yeah that sounds about right. On the plus side, between Tom King and Bendis both wetting the bed I get to be super cathartic at watching pretty much everyone turn on them and I'm like "Well yeah? You didn't see that coming?"
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

If I compare the two,Man of Steel was a worse mess.Probably because I didnt keep up with Batman since Rebirth.Actually,since Paul Dini and Grant Morrison tbh.Also,nothing I saw from Tom Kings Baman made me interested.Ha ha,Catwoman knows Superman is Clark Kent because glasses are a stupid disguise,ha ha.  <_<
Anyway,this whole Man of Steel mini was there to put Supermans family on a bus.Almost a literal case here.Love him or hate him,there is a distinctive voice and style Bendis has,and even that is missing.Its a lazy attempt at cleaning the slate before another relaunch.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

The DC Batman Day reprints this year will be Batman: Lil Gotham and Sean Murphy's much ballyhoo'd Batman: White Knight. No Tom King Batman reprint this year...I wonder why that could be? *trollface* in all seriousness though, I wonder, could they have possibly chosen the reprints based on the Batman #50 backlash or is that too recent for them to have done so?

Also James Robinson is adding the female Firefly from Gotham into the DCU in his Detective Comics run.
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Not that anyone cares, but in the 3rd issue of Plastic Pool Man we find that some shape-shifter is framing Plas for murder.

Waitaminit! The Skrulls really HAVE invaded the DC Universe!!

Either that or a Durlan maybe...

Silver Shocker

There's always White Martians.
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Quote from: Silver Shocker on August 24, 2018, 03:29:03 PM
There's always White Martians.

True. I wonder what would happen if the Skrulls disguised themselves as White Martians? Or vice versa? And why would DC even bother with this after The Secret Invasion?

HarryTrotter

After rereading Final Crisis,its still as confusing as I remember it.And the whole Evil Mary Marvel is stupid frankly.
But Mr Tawky Tawny beating Kalibak,that was awesome.  :D

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

#Batnudity #Batwang #maturecomics #resetthecounter
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Quote from: HarryTrotter on September 21, 2018, 02:00:45 PM
#Batnudity #Batwang #maturecomics #resetthecounter

You mean they got around to the OTHER meaning to "whipping out the batarang"?