News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

On CBS?I assume its going to be canceled after one season and picked up by CW.Also,from the creator of Scrubs---that inspires confidence. <_<
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Hey, man, I don't know what to tell you, I really liked Scrubs.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Man and Superman- best Superman story I read in a while.A sort of not really origin story where we see Clark coming to Metropolis,meeting Lois and everyone and donning the costume.You know,the thing Smallvile didnt do for 10 seasons.😉
Yeah,that show lasted longer then Dynasty.
Anyway,Detective comics #1000 is fast approaching.Tom King,Brian Michael Bendis and Kevin Smith in one place.Scary.
Also Paul Dini and Danny Oneill.So thats a positive.
Nothing from Chuck Dixon,Alan Grant or even Grant Morrison?Thats a waste.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Detective comics #1000 was good,but not quite as epic as I hoped.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

About what I'd expect from the talent involved and in this era of the comics. I may get around to reading it in the future.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

So DC Universe will have the whole library od DC comics (with a 1 year delay for new stuff) so thats the reason to get the subscription.That and Doom Patrol.
Also,Im not sure about Vertigo,but still its 80 years of comics.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Let's put it to you this way. How can you possibly justify putting out the Doom Patrol tv show on your streaming service, and then not offering Vertigo comics on the same service? That's like saying "There will be no Titans comics, or anything that indulges in grimdark, nothing by Geoff Johns, really."

And we all know neither DC or Marvel will ever have a subscription-based digital comics service that doesn't have a delay of a year-or so for new stuff, because if they did, someone at Comixology would probably mail them a Katana (and no, I didn't make that up, someone in the entertainment industry really did that apparently).

More importantly, DC is finally making the damn service available to people outside  the U.S., and it's free for one day. Slow clap, DC, now explain why it took nearly half a year. No really, go ahead, I wanna hear an actual reason, and not a B.S. PR busswords reason, an actual answer a human being might say to another human being.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

That wouldnt make sense,but this is DC,so we have to give them the benefit of a doubt.
By Vertigo I meant more other imprints outside the regular DC.Like Paradox Press,or Helix or Milestone.
Im also wondering if everything from 80 years survived.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Well, Milesone I think should be on there. The Milestone characters have crossed over with the main DC a few times. I mean, Static alone...

QuoteIm also wondering if everything from 80 years survived.

Eh, probably not?
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I think everything ever published by DC SHOULD be there.But its not a perfect world,at least people will get to read things that were never collected like Spectre or Hawkworld.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

[EDIT: the following post is a response to a post that has since been deleted responding to my "katana/'No Cuts'" joke.]

*chuckles* Yeah, this is the case where context is everything. I kinda mixed my metaphors. The original anecdote was that legendary anime director Hayao Miyazaki sent the Western localizers of his movies a katana and a note with two words - "No Cuts." I don't know if that story is accurate, and if so how seriously people took this, but I just loved the sheer audacity that someone in the industry would actually do that.

Doesn't quite work in the example I gave since the "No Cuts" part doesn't apply.
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

There are people who shouldn't have a katana, though. I'd probably be tempted to use it...

HarryTrotter

Careful,thats cultural appropriation now-a-days...
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I mean, I could have said Comixology could leave Marvel or DC a horse's head in their bed, but I liked the Katana example better.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Im now imagining that scene with Geoff Johns. ☺️
Oh yeah,speaking of that scene,the horse head was real.They didnt kill a horse,they got the head from a slaughterhouse.But that doesnt really make it better.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

On the more topical matters- Im continuing with the Post Crisis Superman stuff and we got Braniac.Who in this version,is a circuis mentalist who gets posesed by disembodied mind of a Coluan scientist Vril Dox.Makes sense as much as anything else,I guess.
Funny question,were these traveling carnevals/freakshows still around in the 80's?I imagined they died out with the advent of tv.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: HarryTrotter on April 04, 2019, 07:16:47 PM
On the more topical matters- Im continuing with the Post Crisis Superman stuff and we got Braniac.Who in this version,is a circuis mentalist who gets posesed by disembodied mind of a Coluan scientist Vril Dox.Makes sense as much as anything else,I guess.
Funny question,were these traveling carnevals/freakshows still around in the 80's?I imagined they died out with the advent of tv.

They had something like them in county fairs, at least in the south, maybe into the '90s. They were definitely fading, though.

HarryTrotter

I guess Kansas counts as south?Or close enough. ☺️
Thou in comics,freak shows are alive to this day.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I don't understand why we've never gotten the Timmverse version of Brainiac in the comics, because that is basically the perfect distillation of the idea.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Didnt they?There are so many versions that I couldnt keep track...
And speaking of unnececary convoluted origins- Supergirl is introduced- this time she was a shapeshifting blob from another universe with memories of Lana Lang.Later on she/it fused with Linda Denvers- I think I talked a lot about that series- and then got replaced with the Supermans couisin version.
Still less confusing then what they did with Hawkman.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I went to the circus as a kid in the nineties, but I don't remember if it was a travelling circus.

Well, the Geoff John revision retconned all previous appearances of the Post-Crisis Brainiac were robots, "advanced scouts", and the real one was some guy hooked up to a bunch of wires and machines on some space ship somewhere (this got made into the animated movie Superman: Unbound). Johns pretty much did the exact same retcon with the Toyman, btw.

Anyway, what's really relevant is Convergence. The plot of that involved Brainiac bottling up portions of every DC Universe ever made, proving they still existed (and there were a bunch of tie-in comics featuring those different characters, such as a 2 issue revival of the Post-Crisis Suicide Squad and a Titans story where Lian Harper came back to life).

Anyway, this storyline featured EVERY version of Brainiac ever, including the DC Universe Online version and YES, the Timmverse version.

Mind you, in fairness, that COULD be the version of Brainiac from the animated movie Superman: Brainiac Attacks, since they used the exact same character design and art style.

In any case, I really gotta read those Superman comics sometimes. I'm been wanting to for a while.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Ah,the Doombot defense.I remember the movie,but I cant remember if he was Vril Dox...not that its really important.
Funny,I remember Convergence tie-ins but I barely remember the main story.Earth 2 heroes do stuff,Deimos betrays them and things get rebooted.
In other funny moments,Jimmy fantisizes about Superman banging his mom. 🙂

Also,white hair is an odd choice if shes supposed to be around 40.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

The DC wiki says the Johns Brainiac is Vril Dox.
I remember the Convergence Booster Gold issues. They were a direct followup to the Future's End Booster Gold comics, which themselves were less a Future's End tie-in and more a lead-in to Convergence. Those were the good old days before Tom King got his hands on Booster.
The Brainiac in Panic in the Sky has the Robin Hood/Green Arrow style facial hair. Bizarre.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Heroes in Crisis #8:

Hey, guess what?

Spoiler
Wally West killed all those people.

What a garbage story. And Tom King says online to ignore the "clickbait" spoilers online and to buy the book and read it yourself. As if that will make a difference. There are people online who HAVE read the whole book and they hated it too.
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Quote from: HarryTrotter on April 05, 2019, 06:38:32 PM
Ah,the Doombot defense.I remember the movie,but I cant remember if he was Vril Dox...not that its really important.
Funny,I remember Convergence tie-ins but I barely remember the main story.Earth 2 heroes do stuff,Deimos betrays them and things get rebooted.
In other funny moments,Jimmy fantisizes about Superman banging his mom. 🙂

Also,white hair is an odd choice if shes supposed to be around 40.

Almost like necroposting, but I know of a couple of women who's hair turned white before they turned 40. One was described to someone who was looking for her as "young woman, old hair". While I think you are right that Mrs. Olsen's hair is white because she is "old", white hair in comics also indicates platinum blonde.

HarryTrotter

I assume that was the idea.And it makes more sense.

Anyway,just random- Batman watching Mark of Zorro on THAT night.Funny how that element persisted for the past 40 years.I mean,its a cool nod to Batmans pulp roots,but its kinda on the nose.I mean,its not even important what movie was it,important part is that they went to see a movie.But you can look at it as an inspiration.
Funny,Batman Begins changes it to a live production of Faust.Notice how that tiny detail puts a different spin on things?
Jon Farmer

daglob

Looking for something else, Amazon popped this up based on my previous browsing history":

https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Clock-Geoff-Johns/dp/1401294812/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9M80T0KWQBWNKX0VMVRY

I know it is running late... but 2080?   :D

Silver Shocker

I am assuming someone is having a little fun with the placeholder date.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

At least we will have some reading material while we sit in a crater and roast a rad-boar.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So further up on this page, there was a post by me from April 1 (how appropriate) where I said the DC Universe Streaming service would finally be available to non-U.S. audiences. Well I was wrong. Apparently I misread an article about how for one day, to mark the 80th anniversary of Batman, the service would be free to U.S. based users. So yeah, not the same thing.
~Rocky Balboa