City of Heroes : Freedom

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B A D

Better late than never to announce this :

For all you exiles who haven't been paying attention, City of Heroes is going Free to Play soon.

For those of you who didn't want to put out coin to play anymore, this is a cool chance to reunite with your old peeps.
Plus, you veterans who did put money into the game get some perks for being vets even though you won't have to pay a dime to play.

Sooooooo I advise you to go to the boards at COX and check it out . And I hope to see some of you back .
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

Kommando

I'll be heading back soon I think.

Tortuga

I've been looking forward to this.  Is there a date set?

Kommando

Its running on the beta server so its hard to say how long before it goes live. In any case I went and got three months.  Its double XP weekend so I am going to try and get some leveling done though I am working this weekend.

catwhowalksbyhimself

My guess is 2 weeks from now.

Two strong reasons for that.  First of all, no more trial accounts can be set up and the last of the ones allowed will expire on the 29th or 30th.  Also, EVERYTHING on sale currently through NCSoft for the game is now marked as being unavailable after the 29th.  They wouldn't be pulling all these monymakers down if the replacements, which are part of Issue 21/Freedom, weren't ready to replace them right afterwords.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

B A D

I think that's a wee bit optimistic but I hope soon  as well. It will be a hoot to rock Paragon with old peeps, but my kids as well. B and A both play and my 9 year old has a toon that's close to 30 now.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

BlueBard

When it goes F2P, I'll give it a try.  Whether I stick around will depend on how much of my old stuff still works.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

MJB

If I had the cash I would be back in the game right now. :( I miss it, I really do. When it goes F2P I'll definitely give it try again but truth be known it's according to how hard I'll be nerfed if I'll stick around or not.

I'm stupid & lazy so can anyone explain to me what I'll lose as a Freebie player? 42 month vet who bought lots of costume packs & a couple expansions.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I can help you all as far as what you'll lose.

Brand new free accounts can go 1-50 in the old zones.  They can't get any drops other than small insp, can't use the market, can't craft, can't join global channels or use any channel other than Local and Help, can't join SGs, can't use the Incarnate system can't play or create AE, and can't use Masterminds, Trollers, VEATs, or HEATs.  Access to all of these things can be earned through the new Vet system.  Yes, if you were already a player, you get credit towards the vet system, and depending on how long you played, can unlock all of these things for free.  You can pay to unlock a few now as well.  A detailed explanation of what you'll start unlocked with can be found here.

In addition, free accounts will have to pay for any new powesets, missions in the new zone, and access to a series of monthly story arcs.  You will also be limited to 2 character slots + 2 if you bought GR + any you already bought + vet slots.

If you bought any costume packs or such, you will keep them.  If you bought GR, you will keep those powersets and content too.  Any vet rewards you already had are also yours to keep.

B A D

Basically Meej, you will have access to anything you originally paid for, up to and including Going Rogue.

You get reward points for the 42 months u put in to muck around with to buy other stuff.  That should put you fairly high up on  the food chain.

Kommando

Meej, even if I end up not playing much I'm going to keep the client installed so I can chat and stuff. Like the Manbot said, vets get to keep their stuff. 

catwhowalksbyhimself

42 months is long enough to unlock everything but Large Inspiration drops and the Invention system.  All the other restrictions except for the newest content and Incarnates will be off.

MJB

No invention system? Ugg that may be a deal breaker. Stupid NCsoft trying to force me to sub...

catwhowalksbyhimself

I believe you can purchase a license that will let you use the IO system, and probably for cheaper than a sub.  Also, you can eventually earn enough tokens to unlock them as well, although it might take awhile unless you but a bunch of things.

PreRaphaelite

Yeah, during my travels through the interweb I noticed this large change in CoX, and was verrry tempted to come out of hiding. Then I realised I hadn't even tried out GR. So I thought, why the heck not, and have signed on for a month to have a crack at the semi-new content. It's also become more tempting now that (better late than never) the servers have combined. This way I might even be able to jump away from the European servers on occasion – if there's anything exciting, or anyone around to make the upset sleep patterns at the end of the week worthwhile!

Oh, and hi, again, for anyone who might or might not know me. Where are my manners...?  :rolleyes:
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I remember you.

And perhaps on Saturdays you can catch some of us when there's people on during the daytime here anyway.  Most of us are on Freedom.

Figure Fan

I'm excited for the F2P update. I've been subscribed for the last month or so and I managed to get Going Rogue for $10 on sale. I'm definitely up for teaming since I'll be active on a regular basis. I have a feeling the update will go live in late September or early October, though I might be wrong.

My Global handle is @rgbzach

PreRaphaelite

Freedom? Sounds fun. I'm pretty sure my handle is @Preraph, but I might have to check. Memory, pfeh! Wasted on me.

Nope, that's definitely it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The channel is FR and NRF.  Join and say hello, if you aren't already a member.

B A D

Please see my organizational thingy for Friday.

If we cant get enough fiddys to chime in, we can always another arc for lower level toons.

MikeB7

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: MikeB7 on August 24, 2011, 01:32:24 PM
Quote from: PreRaphaelite on August 22, 2011, 10:48:26 PM
Oh, and hi
Save me, Rowney!!

Ha! Sorry, Rowney's too busy buffing her horns. She has standards, don't you know?

Quote from: B A D on August 24, 2011, 12:33:29 PM
Please see my organizational thingy for Friday.

If we cant get enough fiddys to chime in, we can always another arc for lower level toons.

No luck here I'm afraid – never made it to a fifty on my side of the puddle, let alone on yours. :)

rain

Quote from: MJB on August 21, 2011, 09:23:10 PM
No invention system? Ugg that may be a deal breaker. Stupid NCsoft trying to force me to sub...

Currently on test you can buy a license for the invention system.
Right now it's 160 paragon points for a thirty day license.

Considering 400 points=5 bucks, it's damn cheap Meej.

-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

rain

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on August 18, 2011, 09:53:40 PM

If you bought any costume packs or such, you will keep them.  If you bought GR, you will keep those powersets and content too.  Any vet rewards you already had are also yours to keep.

This is *mostly* correct.
Since the incarnate system was introduced with GR it's important to point out that the system is only available to paid (vip) members, aka those paying the 15 bucks a month sub fee. Regardless of having purchased the expansion pack or not, if your sub runs out and you drop to premium, this content (including the trials) becomes inaccessible.

Also, since Demon Summoning was introduced in GR, it's also important to know that your vet reward status determines if you can even play a Mastermind in the first place without buying access to the AT.

-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

rain

Quote from: Tortuga on August 12, 2011, 08:27:57 PM
I've been looking forward to this.  Is there a date set?

Judging from the stability issues of the test client currently I would say we are a month away from the F2P launch.

The store still has some issues in Windows versions and is completely innacessible on Macs. I doubt we will see the launch until the store works for Macs at the very least.

Lots of natural excitement and finger pointing at things like the sales of Booster packs ending, but really that tends to be the typical Pre-issue fanboy frothing.

Soon as the mac client has store access we can start crossing our fingers. I'd be VERY surprised if that problem gets solved AND QA'ed AND pushed to live within the aforementioned two week window.

Edit:The Dev team is at some convention this weekend and during the dev chat yesterday they mentioned they would be making some big announcements. I am guessing a release date might be revealed.
-rain

catwhowalksbyhimself

I am also thinking the release date will be revealed at PAX.  We'll find out in a couple of days.

MJB

Quote from: rain on August 25, 2011, 09:35:58 PM

Awesome! Hopefully I can spend $10 or so & unlock pretty much everything I usually use. That would make me one happy popsicle.

B A D

If people help me get badges , particularly PVP and  Arena, I would be happy to float some cash their way towards paragon points, when this thing  rolls out.

Yes, im that obsessed.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: MJB on August 26, 2011, 03:12:36 AM
Quote from: rain on August 25, 2011, 09:35:58 PM

Awesome! Hopefully I can spend $10 or so & unlock pretty much everything I usually use. That would make me one happy popsicle.

Considering that your vet status should unlock everything else, you should be good.

JeyNyce

Haven't played in a while, so I bought going rogue ($10) and going to install it.  When it goes F2P I will keep all of my perks.  Something to hold me over until DCUO gets it's update.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!