Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: Everybody's Favorite Mutated Reptiles Are Back in Action  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Silver Shocker

• The Shining Savior
  • Better Call Saul!
Re: Everybody's Favorite Mutated Reptiles Are Back in Action
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »
I have read the Bebob And Rocksteady destroy everything. It was insane and fun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other Turtles news:

There's a crossover between the Nicktoons Animated TMNT and Batman TAS. Pretty neat idea.
-"Wherever kindness is MOCKED--and CRUELTY is worn as a badge of honor--THERE you will find them. So WEAK inside,

that they cannot imagine that TRUE strength of SPIRIT--can even exist."
~Peregrine, describing Hydra, U.S. Avengers #8

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »
First issue of Batman/TMNT adventures was okay.Thou,Im not sure why they chose BTAS,its unlikely that kids watching 2012 turtles are familiar with it.Also,"Yo,mama" jokes?Again?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2016, 10:07:34 PM »
Book is still my most looked forward to every month. I'm also 100% addicted to the new IDW Hasbro line (Revolution) which says a lot for a line that just kicked in. Even that Rom book is great!

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2016, 01:57:30 AM »
I just got a big batch of comics in the mail, and I can't wait to read the TMNT books!  I'm way behind!

Also, I have GOT to get my hands on that Bebop and Rocksteady series!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline oldmanwinters

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2017, 03:41:12 AM »
I definitely recommend experiencing the Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything mini-series in TPB format!  It's the kind of story that will have you scratching your head and flipping back and forth through the pages. 

Plus, it also borrows from classic Mirage TMNT comic canon in a surprising way!

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2017, 06:24:26 AM »
So we got Wyrm.Okay.
Btw,one thing I noticed IDW continuity does different then all the others is: No Superheroes.And honestly,its all the better for it.
Jon Farmer

Online kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2017, 06:31:45 AM »
So we got Wyrm.Okay.
Btw,one thing I noticed IDW continuity does different then all the others is: No Superheroes.And honestly,its all the better for it.

Aren't the Turtles themselves more or less Superheroes when you get down to it?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline Silver Shocker

• The Shining Savior
  • Better Call Saul!
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:09 AM »
I definitely recommend experiencing the Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything mini-series in TPB format!  It's the kind of story that will have you scratching your head and flipping back and forth through the pages. 

I would definitely second that.  I certainly felt that way reading it. It's fun (how can it not be with that title and premise?) but it's the kind of story I'd rather not scrutinize because (a) it takes the fun out of it and fun is definitely what they were going for and b) I'm not entirely convinced the time travel elements make sense.

So we got Wyrm.Okay.

Aren't the Turtles themselves more or less Superheroes when you get down to it?

Yeah, I've thought of the TMNT as superheroes as least since the 2003 series. Also, I'd say Nobody counts as a superhero. wears a costume, fights crime, has a superhero name.

Personally I really enjoyed the superhero stuff in the 2k3 series so I honestly wouldn't mind if IDW did more with them. Considering their run draws from the mirage comics, 87 cartoon and aforementioned 2k3 cartoon so heavily (I've even found at least one reference to the Nicktoons show) not drawing from that well seems a bit odd an omission. On the other hand, the plots of the IDW are so corset-tight that adding in superhero characters and not having them show up for every major conflict ever would immediately draw attention to it. As much as I enjoyed how the 2K3 series drew from that extended cast when appropriate, there was a heavy sense of "If x, why aren't the Justice Force doing y?" What would you call the JF's appearance during the Triceraton invasion , if not jobbing so the Turtles can save the day?
-"Wherever kindness is MOCKED--and CRUELTY is worn as a badge of honor--THERE you will find them. So WEAK inside,

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
Depends on the continuity.Mirage Turtles are a ninja clan first,they just happen to know a lot of superheroes.They dont go on patrols or rescue the city on a daily basis.Original cartoon turtles are superheroes.They are even refered to as such on several occasions.2003 and 2012 version mix the two styles.In different quantities.
Personaly,I dont mind the existence of superheroes,but it does make the Turtles less unique.And IDW already has too much characters for 2 monthly titles.
Jon Farmer

Offline SickAlice

• bing cherry
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »
I'd say no. They aren't defined as "capes" at least and came into the industry as an independent. More "action hero" defined then "super", like one would see Link, Ash or Snake. And I agree it's better for it as well, it adds that unique flavor. Also totally happy to see the franchise succeeding to the point of spawning more titles. I'd rather read another Turtles book than another...well I'll be polite but you know where it's going. Destroy Everything was awesome BTW, delivered all that and so much more.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2017, 04:09:01 AM »
They aren't necessarily superheroes, but they are superhero adjacent. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2017, 07:13:55 AM »
The TMNT scholar Mark Pellegrini explained it best,I think. http://tmntentity.blogspot.ba/
From his reviews of Vol. 1 #15 and #52:
Eastman and Laird made it a point to illustrate that the Turtles live in a world already populated by superheroes and general comic book weirdness fairly early on, with characters like Complete Carnage and Radical, etc. Probably a good idea, as the Turtles so frequently encounter aliens, monsters, super villains and other miscellaneous insanity that there’s just gotta be this sort of stuff waiting around every corner for their world to make any sense.

In a way, it makes the Turtles seem a little less unique, as how can they be freaks and outcasts in a world where robot midgets and rock-men can make lucrative licensing deals and be accepted as heroes by the general populace? It actually seems counter-intuitive to Laird’s own personal insistence of reducing mutant animals in the franchise offshoots he has a hand in because it “makes the Turtles less unique”. So bizarre superheroes are okay in abundance, but not mutant animals? Okay, sure, whatever.

I don’t hate the presence of superheroes in Turtle comics; Nobody is a favorite recurring character of mine and I adored most of the Image series, which had a ton of superheroes in it. The issue I take with “Dome Doom” is more that it overloads the audience with the fact that “oh by the way there’s a retired team of superheroes operating out of Northampton who license their likenesses out to media outlets to maintain luxurious lifestyles but nobody ever talks about them because meh”. Nothing would really be done with the idea of a substantial superhero population in the Mirage TMNT universe until the Image series, and after that got retconned out of continuity, the Volume 4 series (which had several interesting ideas as well as a decent use of the Justice Force characters).

As for the Turtles, I was amused by Raph’s statement that fighting street crime isn’t their responsibility; that the only thing that matters to the Turtles is taking down the Foot.  It’s a great spotlight on what differentiates the Mirage TMNT from their cartoon and more mainstream counterparts.  The original Mirage TMNT weren’t created to be superheroes.  They don’t go on patrol like Batman and fight crime.  Sure, they’ll get involved if they’re in close proximity to danger because they have functioning moral compasses, but they aren’t “guardians” of truth and justice.  They’re ninja.  They’re assassins.  And they’re at war with a rival ninja clan.  Any other adventures they partake in are either out of accident or boredom.

Obviously, that doesn’t paint them in a very marketable light and, yeah, I don’t think we’ve ever seen the Mirage Turtles walk away from helping someone in mortal danger.  But Raph’s dialogue still underscores one of the fundamental differences between the Mirage TMNT and the, well, more marketable cartoon and kid-comic incarnations.  They’re a warring ninja clan first and “superheroes” second.  If at all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:15:29 AM by Spade »
Jon Farmer

Offline SickAlice

• bing cherry
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2017, 10:29:07 PM »
Heads up, four part Karai spotlight incoming this week!
http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/973300

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2017, 06:03:46 AM »
Stump and Galactic wrestling are back.I did not expect that. :thumbup:
Universe harkens all the way back to Secret History of the Foot clan.I guess Koya is this universes version of the blind Foot elite with a grudge against Leo.Broadly speaking.We still dont reall know anything about Bludgeon.He looks and acts as some surfing/zen guru,I guess.
Jon Farmer

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
Stump Wrestling, really?  That is too awesome!  I can't wait!
God Bless

Offline oldmanwinters

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2017, 04:07:07 AM »
Stump Wrestling, really?  That is too awesome!  I can't wait!

I thought the first two issues of the Dimension X mini-series were fun but forgettable adventures.  Haven't got around to issue #3, but I will be curious to see how this whole series bridges the gap between ongoing #73-74.

Offline Silver Shocker

• The Shining Savior
  • Better Call Saul!
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2017, 06:56:05 PM »
So I just finished the new volume of the trade with Agent Bishop vs. The Mighty Mutantanimals. Oh boy was that ever a good one. There's volumes of this run of TMNT I enjoyed as much as that.

Bishop was the man in that one. I officially declare IDW Bishop bet Bishop because IDW Turtles is best Turtles. They ever got a little homage into Bishop's Hong Kong style martial arts fights from the 2003 series. NICE!

On that note:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a related note, a sequel to the Batman/TMNT Crossover Scott Snyder, James Tynion and Freddie Williams did was just announced. Same creative team, Bane will be the villain. Neat.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
Well,not everyone can be Shredder or Baxter.Some villains will only last an arc.And it invented some new villains.
Dimension X was okay,but it comes off as something of showcase for writers and artists.Sittersons(we probably wont see him again) Ace Duck issue might have been the biggest surprise.
On the subject of a lot of characters for one series,thats why we have Universe.Karai arc has been pretty cool so far,even if the yakuza family dynamics are a bit cliche.
Jon Farmer