News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Pod'20: Goldballs (March 22)

Started by Podmark, August 22, 2011, 12:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

May marches along with another Pod/Windblown X-Student:

This week we have Sarah Vale aka Network, sister of Jessica Vale aka Preview. Network had the power to communicate with machines. She was depowered after House of M and killed in a Purifier attack shortly after.

Be sure to check out the cool FXs Windblown put together to go with the skope.

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

windblown

Cyber Burn

Don't know the Character (I find myself saying that a lot lately  :( ), but I really love how well the Skin/Skope turned out. Also, looking forward to checking out some Windblown FX's as well.  :thumbup:

Podmark

Quote from: Cyber Burn on May 26, 2017, 02:22:42 AM
Don't know the Character (I find myself saying that a lot lately  :( )

I'm sure we'll give you someone you know sooner or later. Though I don't guarantee you'll recognise what they're wearing  :unsure:

This week I debut a skin for a character I am very excited to bring to life: Superboy!

A very recent creation, I think he may well be the most important character DC has created in a decade. Jonathan Kent is the son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane - originally the Post-Crisis version but as of a month ago the Post-Crisis and New 52 have been combined into one. So to put it simply Jon is the son of Superman, inheriting his father's powers and becoming the newest Superboy. I say that Jon might be the most important character DC has introduced recently because I feel he's responsible for reinvigorating the Superman titles. I've noticed a lot more interest and news coverage of the Superman books over the last year - and part of that is it is heavily involved in DC's Rebirth/Watchmen storyline, but I really feel the bigger reason is Jon.

Superman is a character who has been around a long long time. He's died, gotten married, had multiple costumes, had his identity revealed - he's done it all. I think at this point in time he's a tough character to really build up a lot of hype and interest about. He's so powerful and has such strong values that it hurts his relatability, and at his power levels it can be difficult to craft an exciting story month in month out. So I think the creation of Jon has really flipped the script on Superman. Having a son makes him more relatable - many readers are parents, and all of us were children (some even currently). It's easier to craft a threat when it doesn't have to be aimed at Superman, it can be aimed at his wife and son in one way or another. It's added a story element about raising a child and expanded the genres that can be covered in the book. It brings something people haven't seen before. Yes there have been stories where Superman has had a child - but never an ongoing series with the main Superman. It even likely has helped reinvigorate Batman's son as it's given Damian (a character who I felt had lost his place at DC for the last couple years) a new character to play off - and from what I've seen of Super Sons it's a great dynamic for the two.

Simply put I think creating Jon was a brilliant move. Definitely increased my interest in Superman. I'll be really interested to see what Jon's future is long term. Certain status quos eventually play themselves out over time and get reset or ignored. Jon could end up that way, but I think Superman, much like the Fantastic Four, is the kind of character who could take having a family as his permanent status quo. I'd also be curious if Jon will ever grow up at some point. Aging children is problematic in comics, a long term story telling medium, as it ages everything. Jon is I think 10 now, if he ever naturally became an adult you have to add 10 years to the time line for everyone. Damian becomes an adult too, Dick is 30ish, Bruce starts getting close to retirement. It why characters like Franklin Richards barely age. I'll be very curious how this plays out in the decades to come.

Anyway this skope is brought to you by Windblown who did a super job with my request. He just has the ability to find the right parts to nail a character.
Next week I have one more Super skin to show you, then I'll get the May skins packed up for release.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

spydermann93

Wow! Great skin on a great skope! You've done justice to the character, Windblown and Pod!

John Jr.

Superboy is great, Pod. he really looks like a kid and the costume is spot on. WB's skope is amazing too, you two make a perfect  team. And BTW I agree with you about Jon's (and Damian's) importance. DC spent too much time and effort rebooting the past over and over again, it's time to move forward. I'm really liking to see Clark as a "Super Dad" and enjoying the kids dynamics on "Super Sons". It's good to see new angles of ages old characters as Superman and Batman.

UnkoMan

Wow, that Superboy looks cool.
I actually haven't read any of the comics but hearing you rave about it really makes me want to. I could totally get behind Superman as a dad, also. That's a great place for him to go.

Oh yeah, and all your other skins are looking great, as usual. I love that Bizarro. Always one of my favourites.

Podmark

This was the last week in May so here's one last May skin. This time it's Superman's most recent costume:

It's a fairly classic costume, except for the belt which is just strange. I think I made it look alright. I've actually had this skin partly finished for months, back when it was first previewed by DC. I just needed a look at the back.
To go along with this new look DC also merged the Post-Crisis Superman with the New 52 version, realigning his personal history. I'm not a fan. Rebirth has been great for how it reinvigorated DC's titles but the timeline stuff they've been doing just makes things so complicated and wipes out so many earlier stories. The New 52 wasn't perfect, but this wasn't the way I'd have chosen to fix it. Anyway hopefully it all works out in the end.

Bottom line: You've got Superman and son to play with.

I'll package the May skins up and hopefully release them by the end of next week.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

style

Loving the sneaker/boot work on Superboy!!!! Great stuff! :thumbup:
The Ultimate Fan!

Cyber Burn

You can always tell the love that you've put into your work Pod, not only is it inspiring, but it's also something that is very much appreciated.    :thumbup:

deanjo2000

Quote from: Cyber Burn on June 04, 2017, 05:56:43 AM
You can always tell the love that you've put into your work Pod, not only is it inspiring, but it's also something that is very much appreciated.    :thumbup:
I second this :thumbup:
Always a pleasure to see your work :D
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

detourne_me

Pod, Thanks for all the great releases lately!  I just downloaded the latest batch, and they were all great.  the superboy costume is beginning to grow on me!

BentonGrey

Two beautiful skins, Pod.  I really love the expression of joy on Superboy's face, and great work on the new Superman!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Courtnall6

Still going strong, eh Pod?  :)

Superman and Son look great! I still will always prefer the trunks...but this design beats the 52 and DC Filmverse hands down.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Podmark

Hey C6! Long time no see.

Quote from: Courtnall6 on July 02, 2017, 11:05:10 PM
Still going strong, eh Pod?  :)

Yeah I can't seem to kick the habit. I really like building up my digital figure collection, and it's a nice filler when I'm watching shows.

I can live without trunks, but in DC's haste to get rid of them I don't think they've ever found a proper replacement.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Podmark

It's been a long time but the skinning bug finally hit me again. This is the X-Men student Gentle:

Gentle can temporarily increase his strength to extreme levels but the strain damages his body so he was given vibranium tattoos to keep his powers in check. Recently he was added to the X-Men Red series.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

deanjo2000

Beautiful :D he looks amazing.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: deanjo2000 on July 15, 2018, 09:07:12 PM
Beautiful :D he looks amazing.

Agreed!

Sounds like an interesting Character as well.

murs47

That Gentle is master-class. I'm glad Marvel is still giving him love. I'm also glad you're still giving skinning love too. :)

Podmark

Murs! Long time no see. Glad you like the skin, I was really happy with how it came out.

Hmm "July 15, 2018", seems like it's almost time for a new skin...
(blame Benton ;P)
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Haha, many have.  I'm super excited, Pod!  :D

Murs!  Great to see you again, man!  Maybe next I can dragoon you into coming back.  :lol:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on June 15, 2019, 01:09:26 AM
Hmm "July 15, 2018", seems like it's almost time for a new skin...

Oh haha! I thought it was done in the past month or so. Whoops! At least I beat the one-year anniversary with that comment.

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 15, 2019, 03:59:46 AM
Murs!  Great to see you again, man!  Maybe next I can dragoon you into coming back.  :lol:

I've tried a few times over the years but CTOOL is such a pain to set-up. And, I'm on a Mac now, not sure if it's compatible.

BentonGrey

Well Murs, I wish I could help, then.  But I'm afraid I know nothing about Macs.  I hope you'll get it sorted one of these days.  The community misses your work!  :)
God Bless

murs47

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 15, 2019, 03:10:33 PM
Well Murs, I wish I could help, then.  But I'm afraid I know nothing about Macs.  I hope you'll get it sorted one of these days.  The community misses your work!  :)

All good, Benton. It's the thought that counts. Maybe I'll put more effort into it next time(2022 maybe?). I still want to finish a mini-project I started with Windblown years ago.

Sorry for the threadjack, Pod! :doom2:

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on June 15, 2019, 08:03:02 PM
Sorry for the threadjack, Pod! :doom2:

Not a problem, threadjack away  :)
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

And now I want to see that mystery project!  :D
God Bless

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on June 15, 2019, 08:38:12 PM
Not a problem, threadjack away  :)

:wub:

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 16, 2019, 02:33:11 AM
And now I want to see that mystery project!  :D

It was a continuation of the Marvel Legacy project I started so many years ago. Specifically, that hypothetical future's underclassmen of X-Men, which followed the same arch-type as the original five(Cyclops, Beast, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel). Windblown and I did complete Marvel Girl. I should probably just make her available; he did a fantastic job making my vision(Marvel pun!(unforgivable)) of her come to life.

BentonGrey

Wow, that sounds really neat, Murs!
God Bless

Cyber Burn

I would love to see the Marvel Legacy Project return. It would give me a reason to update some of my older Skopes/Skins, as well as flesh out some of the ideas that I've been sitting on for so long.

Now someone throw a leash on Pod and Murs, don't let them escape!!!

Cyber Burn

We don't need a leash for you, that's what the vodka is for.  :lol: