New Superman Movie

Started by BentonGrey, August 24, 2011, 08:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

I thought I'd go ahead and start a thread for this flick on FR.  I'll kick the action off by posting a picture of the new costume:
http://www.majorspoilers.com/movie-superman-set-pics-reveals-updated-man-of-steel-costume#more-107108

Man, that costume looks so ugly without the red trunks.  It just doesn't work.  There's too much blue.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Courtnall6

As pointless Jim Lee's redesign is...he had the right idea by adding the red belt to balance it out. They really need to add something/anything red along the waistline for the movie version as well.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Glitch Girl

A full body jumpsuit really needs a belt or SOMETHING to break it up and make it more visually interesting.  Without it, it just looks wrong. 

Maybe they can CG something in post? 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

catwhowalksbyhimself

The missing red trunks really does make it look odd to me.  Maybe a red belt or something else would help.  He's just a big blue blob as it is.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Talavar

Add me to those saying it needs red trunks or a belt.

Aside from that though, it looks decent.  The 'S' shield is nice and big, and the cape looks magnificent - big, impractical, billowy.  The blue is a little dark.

Cyber Burn

Kind of makes me think more of Ultraman than Superman.

Quote from: Talavar on August 25, 2011, 04:19:26 PM
Add me to those saying it needs red trunks or a belt.

Ditto.

Tomato

I'll reserve judgment until we see some pics that don't look like someone took them with their phone, thanks.

docdelorean88

Its funny because, initially, i thought i wouldn't mind a No Trunks version of superman , but looking at these pics, seeing how much he looks like the Alex Ross superman in Build and the muscles showing in his legs, and the excessively long, almost godlike cape, it is simply missing some sort of red around the thigh area. Such as in this shot: http://fanartexhibit.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/superman_rebooted.jpg I actually like certain elements out of this one...especially how the logo is flat, but pops because of the texture differences. But yeah, add me to the list for the superunderoos, as well as one of few people who approve of the cape. Maybe a TAD shorter, but there's gonna be some great shots of it flapping, so to speak, in the wind. Admittedly it does seem a tad heavy though...ah well. Overall, its a pretty solid costume. Im intrigued though, so thats a plus.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

oldmanwinters

JeyNyce

Why do these producers feels that they have to add something to the outfit?  It's a classic!!
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

oldmanwinters

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 31, 2011, 04:07:31 PM
Why do these producers feels that they have to add something to the outfit?  It's a classic!!

There seems to be a sentiment in the industry that the reason Superman isn't an guaranteed blockbuster is because he wears red underwear on top of the tights.

*Sigh*

Dude's the freakin' SUPERMAN, he wear whatever he darn well pleases and ain't nobody gonna give him any lip!

Superman Returns had lots of problems, but the red tights weren't one of them!

Talavar

Even without the red underoos I think I like this costume more than Returns'.

Tomato

eh, it's ok. I'm not thrilled with the midsection either(in some ways I think it'd have been better if that dark design thing on his thighs was red), but I don't think it needed underoos so much as just something to break up the blue (having a red stripe down the sides kinda like astonishing wolverine would have been fine). Either way, I'm actually ok with it as is... and at least this one accentuates the muscles rather than hiding them *looks sideways at returns design*

That said, when Mattel comes out with their movie masters line, I will likely be pulling out my red paint before he's allowed to join my movie JLA. Just sayin'.

Courtnall6

Hmmm looks like the Elves of Rivendell got their hands on this outfit before Superman did.

With the the design they've got going here keeping his boots red is pointless. It should have been a full blue body suit with more of the elvish pattern. If you're not going to keep the trunks(yes trunks, calling them underwear/roos is disrespectful to the character and the history of the genre) which balanced the original iconic costume, and not add something else red in that area, you have to lose the boots as well.

Still no spit curl = lame.

Tomato

See, I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum then... I think you would have lost more if they had removed the boots as well. As I always understood it, the m-shaped boots were as much a part of the logo as the S-shield is... the "Man" in Superman if you will.

As far as the trunks go... as much as I agree that they provided a needed balance on some of the costumes, I was always under the impression that most of that was a misinterpretation by the coloring staff, rather than the artist's intent. And be honest, there are about a hundred ways you could design around that and still keep balance in the costume.

Either way, I look at it like this... Batman has been without his trunks in the films since 89's Burton flick, and NO ONE has taken issue with it. So while there ARE flaws here, I feel like there's something more to this look than there has with other iterations of the costume.

((As for the split curl... speaking as someone who grew up with Dean Cain's Superman, I don't really need it))

oldmanwinters

Quote from: Courtnall6 on August 31, 2011, 09:07:04 PM

With the the design they've got going here keeping his boots red is pointless. It should have been a full blue body suit with more of the elvish pattern. If you're not going to keep the trunks(yes trunks, calling them underwear/roos is disrespectful to the character and the history of the genre) which balanced the original iconic costume, and not add something else red in that area, you have to lose the boots as well.

Yeah, that's a fair point.  "Trunks" it is!

Talavar

I love comics, Superman is one of my favourite characters, and if I want to call them underoos, I'm going to.

BentonGrey

While I'll agree with those who are saying that a red belt or something would help, I really don't think that anything that has been discussed would work quite as well as the red trunks.  They really provide balance and interest to the design. 

'Mato, the Batman costumes work without Trunks because they are largely the same color, cape AND costume.  They're meant to be all shadowy and intimidating, which works well on screen.  However, when you take Batman, give him a light colored spandex suit and a dark cape, he just looks like he's missing something.
http://digitalpolyphony.webs.com/batmankeaton1.jpg
http://www.avenuepotter.com/~kristin/Christian_Bale/BBPhotos/bale-costume-1.jpg
Plus, both Batman looks have that nice, lighter colored belt to add some interest to the design. 
You take that same idea and try to apply it in the comics, and it just doesn't work as well:
http://www.supermanofsteel.com/wp-content/uploads/new-jla_02.jpg
Both the Superman and Batman designs work better than this, though, because they have the belts to break up the solid colors. 
God Bless

Courtnall6

QuoteEither way, I look at it like this... Batman has been without his trunks in the films since 89's Burton flick, and NO ONE has taken issue with it.

That's because the entire movie costume is black. If Burton had went black AND gray minus the trunks...then we would have a problem. Using iconic costumes like Superman and Batman's and then basically just removing bits to make your own design is a bad idea. I will immediately look like something is missing. Which is what this new Superman movie has done.

Courtnall6

Quote from: Talavar on September 01, 2011, 12:29:36 AM
I love comics, Superman is one of my favourite characters, and if I want to call them underoos, I'm going to.

Knock yourself out. My statement still stands.

Tomato

My point isn't that this design functioned well without trunks (it completely failed in that sense), it was that the trunks aren't necessary to make a design function. I can think of about 10 ways they could have made that design less obnoxious without putting his underwear on the outside, and still made it look functional.

That said, while I am not thrilled with the design (again, I plan on modifying it on anything I own/make/get that's movie related) there are aspects I like... I like the musculature on the suit, I like the S shield (that tiny S in returns only served to shrink Routh's chest) and I like the cape attachment. And when all is said and done, I can forgive some irritating design flaws if the movie is actually decent.

Previsionary

I did not come into this thread expecting to see a bunch of men fighting over another man's underwear, but that's the type of thing that happens on FR V.6, I guess.
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

Quote from: Previsionary on September 01, 2011, 01:37:07 AM
I did not come into this thread expecting to see a bunch of men fighting over another man's underwear, but that's the type of thing that happens on FR V.6, I guess.

Like you don't fight over other men's underwear on a daily basis....

Fair enough 'Mato.  Yeah, I do like the fact that this guy actually looks big and buff enough to be Superman.
God Bless

Previsionary

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 01, 2011, 02:06:41 AM

Sorry, Benton, you're thinking of your weekends with Aquaman.
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

Quote from: Previsionary on September 01, 2011, 02:24:20 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on September 01, 2011, 02:06:41 AM

Sorry, Benton, you're thinking of your weekends with Aquaman.

No, just the stories that DJ tells about you....
God Bless

Podmark

It's definitely missing more red in the mid-section, but I do like that sleek look it has. He looks strong and fast with a regal touch.
No idea if this movie will be any good. For some reason I'm not hopeful.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

daglob

Funny. All these years of making fun of super heroes for wearing their underwear on the outside of their costumes and we decide that it's a necessary design element after all.

Maybe capes (other than Batman's ) will turn out to be useful too.

JeyNyce

I'm not even going to debate about the trunks.  If the movie have a good story and lots of action, then I'll be happy.

Just my 2 cents: I think Supes was trying to look like this other Super hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjeoonL8UA

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

docdelorean88

I feel that a bolder belt in that mid section wouldve pulled it all together. Like such: http://fanboiii.deviantart.com/art/Superman-Costume-Design-207854190?
I can appreciate the more artsy take on the suit, removing the trunks/underoos/underwear does create a much more stream lined look. Much faster looking, however, its just alot of blue to take in at once. The elf type design will no doubt have ties to kryptonian design. Which i have no issues with. The cape is astonishing, the colors and tones are wonderful, and being a fan of the dean cane/george reeves supermen, i dont HATE the lack of spit curl. If the film is good, i will gladly overlook some visual imperfections.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"