Young Justice

Started by Tomato, August 30, 2011, 10:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Just an update for everyone, since I don't necessarily know if it's common knowledge... new episodes will FINALLY start airing September 16th. Don't ask why it took so long, especially since I KNOW they were finished through episode 19 months ago.

Cyber Burn

:thumbup: I needed some good news today.

Podmark

I believe it was the network wanting to air them with the rest of their September lineup. Either way: YAY more Young Justice!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

JeyNyce

What episode were they up to when they stopped?  I think I saw the first 7 or 8 episodes.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Tomato

they aired through episode 9, which I believe was where they were stranded in the desert and fought psymon. Episode 10 leaked onto the internet awhile back though, so some people may have seen it. Conceivably.

Talavar

Well, a bunch of episodes have aired since this thread last saw any love: Targets, Terrors, Home Front and Alpha Male.  Quite enjoyable, for the most part, though Superboy's emo nature is still irritating. 

Podmark

I actually don't mind Superboy. He's probably my favorite character. Loving the show.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

I think it's fine initially, but I agree that his "epic rage" thing has been overdone... speaking as someone who has blown his lid like that, there's only so long you can be that ticked before it just burns itself out. Personally, I think he's better when he's calm and out of his depth, like in episode 10 when attending high school.

Talavar

I liked him in the high school setting, and in the Terror Twins episode, and I liked that Miss Martian put him in his place in the most recent episode.  I don't hate their version of the character, I just think his tantrums need to disappear.

Tomato

So, I was double checking that the new YJ episode will indeed air this week (since one did not air last week, despite it BEING READY) and was skimming the list of episodes when I came across the title for the season finale... "Auld Acquaintance." Now, at first I thought it might have been a typo or something for "Old Acquaintance" (I saw it on wikipedia after all) but upon digging a little deeper I found the same odd title on several other sites, leading me to believe it's intentionally spelled like that.

From what I've been able to determine, "Auld" is used most commonly as a surname (though I can't find it used on any DC character) but it's also obviously slang for "Old"... mainly Scottish slang if I'm to believe my google search. But I don't consider myself quite the expert on old-school english slang, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm pretty sure it's a reference to "Auld Lang Syne" commonly sung at New Years.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Glitch Girl

Just some quick thoughts on some recent episodes:

- Greg Weisman, one of the show's creators, also created "Gargoyles" which I started re-watching recently, which also meant that I saw "Future Tense"  the dystopic alternate future lets-kill-the-entire-cast-but-not-really episode just days before "Failsafe" the YJ alternate reality lets-kill-the-entire-cast-but-not-really episode.  While Weisman wasn't the writer, I wonder how much input he had.

- "Disordered" featured the Forever People.  No, I'm not kidding.

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Mystik

so they had harm and secret in the last episode and the supercycle in the one b4

Tomato

Quote from: Glitch Girl on November 14, 2011, 03:43:08 PM
Just some quick thoughts on some recent episodes:

- Greg Weisman, one of the show's creators, also created "Gargoyles" which I started re-watching recently, which also meant that I saw "Future Tense"  the dystopic alternate future lets-kill-the-entire-cast-but-not-really episode just days before "Failsafe" the YJ alternate reality lets-kill-the-entire-cast-but-not-really episode.  While Weisman wasn't the writer, I wonder how much input he had.

- "Disordered" featured the Forever People.  No, I'm not kidding.

Plz. This is a show where Sportsmaster is one of the most major villains, and is a credible threat. I is not surprised anymore.

As for Weisman, he's got an awful lot of input from what I've heard. From what I understand, YJ is a collab between him and someone else, same as Spectacular Spider-man was(different collaborator though).

Also, the high school scenes were hilarious. I loved the nod to Superboy's 90s look, even if it wasn't exactly flattering (but then, neither was the costume)

Glitch Girl

"Who are you?"

"Superman.  Done right!" 

:lol:

FYI: This was the first of three (not linked as far as I know) episodes written by Peter David who created the original "Young Justice"  (which included Secret, though she was more verbose).

I LOVED the "Martian Invasion", especially when Megan made herself into  a "martian invader".   I'm also liking that Captain Marvel is, basically, a kid, because he is one.  Even so, the resolution of that bit when the team thought he was going to another party felt a little over the top.

I wonder when they're finally going to officially reveal that Sportsmaster's Artemis' dad.  I agree with Tomato, they actually made him a credible threat but managed to keep the gimmick as well.     

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Magnificent

Quote from: Glitch Girl on November 20, 2011, 01:30:52 AM

FYI: This was the first of three (not linked as far as I know) episodes written by Peter David who created the original "Young Justice"  (which included Secret, though she was more verbose).

Would this be the same Peter David that spent a decade or so putting The Incredible Hulk book through its paces?  If so, *bow*!

Glitch Girl

T'would be the same.  He has a history with the group.

Still hearing unconfirmed rumors about them adding Wonder Girl to the roster.  I wish I could get a yes or no.  Wouldn't mind seeing their version of Zatanna as a recurring character either.
-Glitch Girl

Tomato

I suspect they will be introducing her asap... and despite what people keep claiming, it'll probably be Donna, not Cassie. Putting aside the fact that they very specifically chose to use primarily the original "sidekicks" (Kaldur being the only real exception, and let's face it... as awesome as he is, they created him because they needed a black character), if they put Cassie in everything will suddenly be about her relationship with Conner from the books. Donna fits with the established theme of characters better, and (as much as prem doesn't like me saying it) would fit as a potential love interest for Kaldur without really breaking up any of the other budding relationships.

Thought I'd bring this up (in spoilers JIC, but you can't really see enough to really spoil anything

Spoiler

So, I've been hearing people claim every character in the series is in this poster, but I'll be honest... I don't think any of the main 6 are in this poster, at least not the current looks. Going from left to right:

Female(No Jacket)- People have speculated this might be proof of WG joining the team, which is all well and good... but the hair style bugs me. To me, it actually looks like Miss Martian's hairdo... except she doesn't have a cape. Odd.
Archer- This one is hard to read, as it's really the furthest from the camera. It very well could be Artemis (that looks like her bow) but... I dunno. There are subtle things in the way they've drawn the characters chin and arms that make me feel like it's a guy, or at the very least a different character. Hard to tell.
Capeguy- Again, very possibly Robin, but... meh. Looking at the artwork, the cape is too long, the face is weird (looks like he's wearing goggles of some kind),  he's got batman's gloves (Robin has padding in the show, not batman's spikes), and he looks too tall to be Robin. If this is sometime in the future from the current series then yeah, I'll buy that it's Robin... but it's very clearly an older character to the little twerp we're used to seeing.
Female (W/Jacket)- the one most people on the "This is all the main cast with a few new chars" bandwagon keep pointing too is Miss Martian... Yeah, no. The hairstyle is COMPLETELY different from Miss M's(Look at the bangs), and that is also CLEARLY a jacket, not a cape.
Blue Beetle- Clearly this is Jamie. Shame on anyone who think it's Aqualad with new water-bearers. *stabs them*
Speedster- This is clearly a flash-themed character (little flash ear things) but again, look at the hair and face. The art looks a whole lot more indicative of Impulse then of our own Kid Flash.

Tomato

So... new episodes should start again today. I only have one thing to say:

QuoteAre you excited cause I'm excited I've never been so excited, well, except for the time that I went [gasp] but I mean really--

Tomato

So I saw the episode earlier today (on TV for once... heh) and... I enjoyed it. It's not the best they've done so far, but it was almost worth the wait. Spoilers follow

Spoiler

Firstly, I love how the episode was structured with Captain Marvel being the go between for YJ and the League. It was a nice way to develop Captain Marvel a bit more, since up to this point he's been portrayed as almost a giant 5 year old. Amusing to a point, but quickly grating.

Secondly, I liked that we FINALLY have consequences for using the Helmet of Fate. Back in the Injustice League episode, we had Aqualad, a perfect receptacle and one Nabu would easily make use of, basically just be like "lol, nope" and take off the helmet. It's been kind of a cheap dues ex machina up until this point, and I'm just as glad to see it taken off the table.

Thirdly... ZOMG RIDDLER! Recognised him as soon as he snuck out of the building.

Edit: For those who haven't been picking it up, I highly recommend reading the Young Justice companion comic as well. It's currently written by Greg Weisman, one of the show's creators, and it gives a lot of "behind the scenes" stories for some of the episodes (For example, going into where Robin was during the Fate episode, expanding on the Clayface fight, that sort of thing). It's a really good read

BentonGrey

I wonder if the first season of this is on Netflix yet...I missed a bunch of it, but I did like what I saw.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 03, 2012, 08:11:01 PM
I wonder if the first season of this is on Netflix yet...I missed a bunch of it, but I did like what I saw.

Since it hasn't all aired yet, I doubt it. the episode that aired is only episode 19

catwhowalksbyhimself

Amazon has most of it available online, so Netflix might have at least the first half of the season as well.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Tomato

Don't use logic on me when I'm trolling Benton, it's not appreciated!

Either way, season one hasn't aired in full yet, so I very much doubt the whole season is up on netflix. Thus, my point.

Talavar

Quote from: Tomato on March 03, 2012, 05:53:38 PM
So I saw the episode earlier today (on TV for once... heh) and... I enjoyed it. It's not the best they've done so far, but it was almost worth the wait. Spoilers follow

Spoiler

Firstly, I love how the episode was structured with Captain Marvel being the go between for YJ and the League. It was a nice way to develop Captain Marvel a bit more, since up to this point he's been portrayed as almost a giant 5 year old. Amusing to a point, but quickly grating.

Secondly, I liked that we FINALLY have consequences for using the Helmet of Fate. Back in the Injustice League episode, we had Aqualad, a perfect receptacle and one Nabu would easily make use of, basically just be like "lol, nope" and take off the helmet. It's been kind of a cheap dues ex machina up until this point, and I'm just as glad to see it taken off the table.

Thirdly... ZOMG RIDDLER! Recognised him as soon as he snuck out of the building.

Edit: For those who haven't been picking it up, I highly recommend reading the Young Justice companion comic as well. It's currently written by Greg Weisman, one of the show's creators, and it gives a lot of "behind the scenes" stories for some of the episodes (For example, going into where Robin was during the Fate episode, expanding on the Clayface fight, that sort of thing). It's a really good read

While I too was glad to see that deus ex machina finally dealt with in a more permanent way...
Spoiler
Nabu (sp?) comes off as a bit of an idiot.  If he attended courses on how to create super-villains, I don't think he could do much better.  "I know, I'll steal away the daughter/father of a powerful magician - that won't possibly make he/she hate me and want to forcibly remove me and then throw my helmet in Mount Doom or use it as a chamber pot."  Was any effort made to find someone halfway willing to become Dr. Fate on a more permanent basis?

Tomato

Spoiler
I felt like Nabu had just kind of lost patience with the whole thing... Kid Flash clearly wasn't making any effort to find a new host, and there was very little chance that someone inside the JL would turn around and don the helmet if it wasn't necessary. If I were treated in the way he was up to that point, I'd probably be a bit impatient as well (not to mention the fact that the episode underlined why he was needed more than ever).

Besides, I doubt that he'll make Zatarra stay bound to him indefinitely. Over time, I suspect Nabu and Zatarra will reach an arrangement to where Zatarra will be able to spend at least some time with his daughter, while still fulfilling Fate's needs as a lord of order. But since that time is likely to be limited, having Zatanna live with the rest of the full time YJ members at Happy Harbor is more practical

BentonGrey

Nope, no luck.  I suppose I'll have to wait for re-runs.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Talavar

Quote from: Tomato on March 05, 2012, 09:01:05 PM
Spoiler
I felt like Nabu had just kind of lost patience with the whole thing... Kid Flash clearly wasn't making any effort to find a new host, and there was very little chance that someone inside the JL would turn around and don the helmet if it wasn't necessary. If I were treated in the way he was up to that point, I'd probably be a bit impatient as well (not to mention the fact that the episode underlined why he was needed more than ever).

Besides, I doubt that he'll make Zatarra stay bound to him indefinitely. Over time, I suspect Nabu and Zatarra will reach an arrangement to where Zatarra will be able to spend at least some time with his daughter, while still fulfilling Fate's needs as a lord of order. But since that time is likely to be limited, having Zatanna live with the rest of the full time YJ members at Happy Harbor is more practical

Still, I think it's odd that one of the most evil things we've actually seen in episode -
Spoiler
the enslavement in all but name of Zatarra
is done by a supposedly 'good' character.

Cyber Burn

Current episode:
I liked seeing some actual growth in Wally's character.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I've missed quite a bit of the last season or so, but I caught this last episode.  It was quite good, though I'd have loved to see more of the OTHER story going on. :)
God Bless