Young Justice

Started by Tomato, August 30, 2011, 10:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Quote from: oldmanwinters on February 02, 2013, 09:32:41 PM
I didn't watch SuperFriends enough to be too familiar with the cast, but I did start to watch if the Native American boy might be a modern take on Apache Chief.

And regarding the ending, which I didn't follow too closely because I was a little distracted at the time...

Spoiler
Are we supposed to assume that Blue Beetle and the Martain Beetle have been in cahoots with Black Beetle for a long time or did some plot development happen in this episode that I just missed?

Spoiler
Green Beetle "fixed" Blue Beetle's scarab last episode or the one before, and thereby "freed" BB from any possibility of the Reach taking control.  Obviously, his presence was an elaborate trap.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

oldmanwinters

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 02, 2013, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: oldmanwinters on February 02, 2013, 09:32:41 PM
I didn't watch SuperFriends enough to be too familiar with the cast, but I did start to watch if the Native American boy might be a modern take on Apache Chief.

And regarding the ending, which I didn't follow too closely because I was a little distracted at the time...

Spoiler
Are we supposed to assume that Blue Beetle and the Martain Beetle have been in cahoots with Black Beetle for a long time or did some plot development happen in this episode that I just missed?

Spoiler
Green Beetle "fixed" Blue Beetle's scarab last episode or the one before, and thereby "freed" BB from any possibility of the Reach taking control.  Obviously, his presence was an elaborate trap.

Ah... that's right!  I never trusted that ol' Martian anyway.

Spoiler
I didn't really pay close attention to the Beetle Summit at the end of the episode.  What was the nature of their conversation, besides calling humanity "meat" ?

BentonGrey

Spoiler
'Yay! Blue Beetle is totally going to betray and enslave humanity after he makes them love him as a super awesome hero!' (slightly paraphrased)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

oldmanwinters

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 02, 2013, 11:55:24 PM
Spoiler
'Yay! Blue Beetle is totally going to betray and enslave humanity after he makes them love him as a super awesome hero!' (slightly paraphrased)

I'll almost be glad once the series ends just so that I won't have to be left hanging on yet another ominous cliffhanger.

Talavar

Quote from: oldmanwinters on February 03, 2013, 12:01:45 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on February 02, 2013, 11:55:24 PM
Spoiler

I'll almost be glad once the series ends just so that I won't have to be left hanging on yet another ominous cliffhanger.

Because it's totally not going to end on a never-to-be-resolved season ending cliffhanger.  That would be unheard of.

oldmanwinters

I watched today's episode, and I was almost a little offended at the surprise planetary crisis the show tried to pull off.

I reminded me most of the 1992 Superman arc "Panic in the Sky" just without the continuity buildup, with a Big Bad villain swap, and without... uh... Superman.  Other than that (and the twist ending with the Reach playing their hand), it was really similar to the comic book arc.  I do enjoy that story, so I enjoyed seeing something similar in the episode, but it just didn't quite feel entirely sincere.

I just can't help but think this show is pulling plot twists out of thin air to try and pin a resolution onto this season... and the series.

Spoiler
Also... does the Justice League 6 have any plan to get themselves out of their sham trial?  One would think with Batman's arrogance he wouldn't have even bothered to submit himself to such an indignity in the first place.

I don't know how the show plans to handle that whole plot line, but it just seems like the writers' only purpose in this side story was to get the most powerful members of the League off planet during the crisis to raise the stakes for the Young Justice.  That's a shame, since the end of the first season suggests the "missing hours" could have been a genuinely interesting storyline in itself.  But I guess I expected too much from this show.

Cyber Burn

Spoiler
The episode did feel kind of rushed, hated seeing Blue Beetle turn like he did. And I was really disappointed watching Arsenal turn tail and run. Overall, not one of my favorite episodes.

oldmanwinters

So, Young Justice finally got put out of its weird 2nd season scheduling misery.  And don't believe that Cartoon Network promo that aired this morning, because there are no more "New" episodes of Green Lantern or Young Justice to air again next week!   :lol:

I really did like the first season of this show, but I'll admit that I mostly tolerated season 2.  I was thinking back to one of Greg Weisman's early comments about the show, namely the plan to "kill off" one of the main characters.  Until this morning, I figured they had forgotten all about that promise, but looks like they were true to their word after all.

Tomato

So a friend of mine at work spoiled the last episode for me today... wanted to see if I could figure out which of the characters was gonna die (I've reasoned out a few plot points ahead of time and been right, such as Captain Florida in RvB) and I sat there for a moment listing off the characters trying to figure it out... and then I stopped and was like "oh, duh, ______."

Spoiler
I'm gonna be honest, despite the whole "ZOMG killing characters is teh bad!" thing i think most of us have, I honestly appreciated a proper send off due to what's happened to the character in the new 52. I feel like what happened to him is actually WORSE then just killing him off.

Cyber Burn

A decent ending for the show.

Spoiler
I like how it's left open to continue, hopefully DC will come around and give the fans what we want...but I won't hold my breath.

Talavar

I don't think DC really has any say in this - it's Cartoon Network that cancelled it. 

Alas, Young Justice - you were never my favourite superhero cartoon, but you were a solid, quality show.  A shame.

murs47

Solid show. Worthy of getting the DVDs. Too bad about it being cancelled.

Starman

Apparently Greg Weisman tried pitching a million different permutations of the show to the Cartoon Network (a stand-alone movie, an Arsenal spin-off, etc), and they passed.

So ... aside from the Young Justice videogame, we won't see any kind of continuation of the show  :thumbdown:

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Tomato

I'm so happy right now.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

^I understood that reference.  :P

BentonGrey

I'm whelmed.

Seriously though, that's good news.  I've got mixed feelings about the Justice League Action show, but YJ, for all of its flaws, was an objectively good show.
God Bless

Talavar

I never thought they'd successfully bring this back.  It's excellent news.  I just hope they are able to get the core cast voice actors back.

Tomato

I think they'll get enough. A few of the VA's have been on twitter helping to fuel the show's resurrection rumors for awhile now, and if nothing else, I have a feeling Khary Payton's on WB's speed dial.

HarryTrotter

Btw,am I the only one who thinks The Light were pretty unconvincing villains?As in,no way these people could work together.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Spade, I'd have liked to see them explored a lot more to explain why they were doing so.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 08, 2016, 07:37:13 AM
Spade, I'd have liked to see them explored a lot more to explain why they were doing so.
Trying to make Earth a superpower..IN SPACE?
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on November 08, 2016, 05:59:17 AM
Btw,am I the only one who thinks The Light were pretty unconvincing villains?As in,no way these people could work together.

I agree on that one.  It's classic Greg Weisman--the villains don't win, but they never really lose either due to writer gymnastics.  I believe TvTropes refers to it as Xanatos Roulette, where the villains are impossibly well-prepared or foresighted in order to make their ridiculous plan work.  In the case of Young Justice, it was the host of villains with incompatible goals and methods of operating all working together in secret.  It's still a good show, but that always bugged me.

HarryTrotter

Even if we ignore Xanatos tendencies(which is a bit hard),Light is really streching the Council of Doom theme.Ras,Vandal and Lex working together?Over a pretty vague cause of advancing humanity?And nobody backstabs the others for 2 seasons?Just saying,thats really out of character  for everyone here.
Jon Farmer

thalaw2

Since Season 2 took place in 2016...was it planned all along to delay the 3rd season?
革命不会被电视转播

Glitch Girl

No.  that just happened.  The cancellation was (unfortunately) real.

From what I'm hearing, Season 3 takes place a few years (possibly 5) after Season 2.  This would make for an interesting dynamic to bring Kid Flash back as I doubt he'd be aware of the time passage and would also work well reintroducing everyone and the new status quo for new viewers and old ones alike.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

oldmanwinters

I was a fan of the show and I still admire it's addictive quality, but I eventually got burned by the constant dangling of "greater threat/master conspiracy."  The core heroes got great development in the 1st season, but folks started to get lost in the Blue Beetle focus of Season 2.  The Justice League and major villains started to feel like they were inconveniences to the storytelling team and none of them were especially interesting.  So now that it's coming back... I dunno.  It'll be worth watching but I'm afraid it will have trouble living up to the hype and expectations.

Tomato

Quote from: oldmanwinters on November 09, 2016, 12:19:42 AM
I was a fan of the show and I still admire it's addictive quality, but I eventually got burned by the constant dangling of "greater threat/master conspiracy."  The core heroes got great development in the 1st season, but folks started to get lost in the Blue Beetle focus of Season 2.  The Justice League and major villains started to feel like they were inconveniences to the storytelling team and none of them were especially interesting.  So now that it's coming back... I dunno.  It'll be worth watching but I'm afraid it will have trouble living up to the hype and expectations.

I agree with that in the context of the show itself, but having read the tie-in comics (which, after the first couple issues, were written by show runner Greg Weisman and helped flesh out some things that were glossed over in the show) it's clear that there actually were some interesting ideas in place for various members of the League and the Team, but unfortunately the book was cancelled before it had a chance to cover any of season 2.

thalaw2

I was ok with the 2nd season because I thought the voice acting was great and the stories were engaging.  There were things I wanted to be explained better, but I found I would have to buy into the franchise more than I wanted (ie buying the video game). 

I really hope season 3 is not 5 years in the future.  I would rather see KF and As pull off being together as a couple as well as Speedy (clone) and Cat as parents...but I'm a sentimental.  I know there must be tragedy.  Therefore, I want to see the return of the Main Man....kissyfem...maybe he'll hook up with Wonder Girl.
革命不会被电视转播