Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: Young Justice  (Read 19707 times)

Offline HarryTrotter

Re: Young Justice
« Reply #270 on: November 09, 2016, 05:32:43 AM »
Im really against another timeskip,and they didnt really look older in the teaser.So I doubt thats happening.
For season 3,I would like to see Raven,for example.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
Courtesy of the FR Facebook page, we have our first look at the Season 3 Team lineup.  New heroes are Arrowette, Spoiler, and Thirteen.  Also a hint that some former members of the Team may have formed the Outsiders, or something like it.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/young-justice-outsiders-reveals-its-new-heroes-and-the-1797134284
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »
Another late observation,but Wade Eiling goes strangly underused.Because hes one villain whos plan is to make Earth a galactic superpower.Thats kind of a theme for Weisman,it seems.
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:06:11 PM by Silver Shocker »
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2018, 03:47:11 AM »
Well, those are interesting costumes.  They look (for the most part) nothing like their sources, which bothers me.  Also, if that's Forager, I'm going to be a tad annoyed.  I would like to see Metamorpho on the team, but I hope we don't get an angsty teenage Rex.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #275 on: May 15, 2018, 04:29:15 AM »
Is Forager the guy who looks like a cockroach, and nothing like a Kirby-designed character? And is the guy in one of Madrox's cast off costumes GeoForce? This kind of looks like The Outsiders, and not in a good way.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2018, 04:36:02 AM »
This kind of looks like The Outsiders, and not in a good way.

Ha!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #277 on: May 15, 2018, 06:23:46 AM »
Yeah I thought I remembered Cat saying this was the name of the 3rd season: Outsiders.  I mean with Metamorpho, Lightning, Geo-Force... I think they're making it overtly obvious now.

Maybe they're fighting the team or something of sort of opposition.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #278 on: May 15, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
Well,its called Young Justice: Outsiders.
Jon Farmer

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »
Yeah I thought I remembered Cat saying this was the name of the 3rd season: Outsiders.  I mean with Metamorpho, Lightning, Geo-Force... I think they're making it overtly obvious now.

Maybe they're fighting the team or something of sort of opposition.

It's also the title of that article in the link. . .
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2019, 08:08:51 PM »
First 3 episodes of s3 have been a mixed bag.
Kaizen Gamorra as a UN delegate,thats a weird cameo.
Jon Farmer

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2019, 10:02:44 PM »
I quite enjoyed it, but then I'm an unabashed fanboy of the series so take that with some salt. It's only 3 episodes in rn (those of you waiting to use your free weeks might wanna give it a couple months) so there's a lot of setup and we haven't really established a status quo yet.

I should note before I delve into spoilers, a few characters are sporting some new attire. I noticed Superman was suddenly looking more like the current n52 version, for example. I'm guessing some of the powers that be made them conform to current outfits.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2019, 02:28:19 AM »
^^ No comment on Jaculi from the Jahad from Suicide Squad making a cameo? That was one of the highlights for me.

So Canada is airing it on tv. I feel like I should be probably be more happy about that than I am. Mind you, they're airing it later than the U.S. gets it, with fewer episodes per week, but oh well. I'm positive Teletoon never actually aired season 2; in fact I never saw season 2 until I bought the DVDS, which I was happy to do. But Canada's rights issues for tv content, particulaly streaming and cartoons, have been retribution-ably (yes, that's a reference to the Young Justice version of Joker) crappy for almost as long as I've been alive, so oh well. At least the original run is on Netflix.

Tom: It's Halo. There's promo art that shows her as part of the team.

Anyway, I've seen it. I was underwhelmed. (How could I not reference that memorable joke from the original run?)

Before I start, I should say I really liked the original YJ. I remember when it was coming out and people were legitably debating whether it was as good as JLU and I think the comparisons are more than apt. This was right around the time I learned that Greg Weisman was the man, between this, Spectacular Spidey, and rediscovering Gargoyles on DVD. So I did have a lot of expectations for this show, even while skeptical about the whole Outsiders bit.

Short version: This doesn't feel like Young Justice. I mean, I'm not that surprised. I'd had well over a year to be prepared for it to be "Outsiders: Guest Starring Young Justice" but it's still a palpable step down from the Greg Weisman high I remember getting throughout YJ S1 and 2 and from the very first episode of Spectacular Spidey. To me there's a few problems with it. I'll cover them under the Spoiler tag.

In closing, imagine my surprise to learn that I'd enjoy Titans of all things more than the revived Young Justice, as yet. Yeah, in case you guys haven't heard, Titans is actually REALLY good (though of course, Your Milage May Vary). I'll gush about it in the appropriate thread later. Between that and Aquaman, truly we are in the Bizarro World when it comes to DC these days.

[EDIT] OMG, I totally realized, a big part of my problem with this season can be summed up with that Young Justice "It. IS. TIME. TO GET REALLY REALLY SERIOUS" parody from Teen Titans Go. How'd I miss that? Watch Weisman and co have someone in the show say "No time for games. This is serious." In a deliberate nod to that in the next episode.  :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:57:41 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2019, 03:25:00 AM »
SS... I know she's Halo. My point was more that...

As for the rest... Again, we're super early on, and I'll reserve judgement until there's more than 3 episodes to parse through. Given the subject that's being dealt with (which was a necessity because it ties directly into Geo-Force's origin) I'm not sure I'd be ok with jokey jokes all the time, and we do get a bit of fun banter with Barbara and Richard.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2019, 04:15:05 AM »
Ok, I was a little confused by what you were talking about but I get it now. You are probably right about the character's backstory.

Well, there's the rub isn't it? It's an easy thing to say "wait and see" three episodes in, but maybe you liked the new more than I because you liked the original more to begin with. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. My favorite show was the 2003 TMNT and I've defended it and its later, decidedly less good, more market-and-budget driven later seasons every step of the way. (Fortunately, Tom Waltz over at IDW seems to agree with me, since the current Turtles comic draws from the 2003 show many, many times). The Nicktoon's show took a lot longer to win me over (which is to say, a season-and-a-half or so, but that show had its own issues IMO which I've talked about before)
But I sometimes try to contextualize the "wait and see reaction". As I mentioned, I literally was loving Weisman's Spectacular Spider-Man from the very first episode, and was fully on board for a YJ season 2 that added a LOT more characters and phased out a fair number of the originals. The reason why is that even with all the new characters, the story being told still felt like a direct continuation of what was set up prior. Here, other than all the metahuman so and so and a few brief scenes and exchanges early on it's pretty much an origin story for Geo-Force and Halo, and bringing Black Lightning into the fold.

Which makes me ask "Ok, WHY is Geo-Force in this? Why is Halo in this? Why is it "Young Justice: Outsiders?" I've been asking that question literally since the subtitle was revealed, but I already know the answer, I gave it in my earlier post. Cross-brand synergy. It's just not a satisfying one.

To give another reaction, Star Wars Resistance got 10 episodes to win me over and I still haven't been impressed with it. The newest season of Doctor Who never managed to hold my interest.

not sure I'd be ok with jokey jokes all the time, and we do get a bit of fun banter with Barbara and Richard.

I didn't even remember that exchange. The funny thing is, I've never eve cared for a lot of the humor in YJ, I've always found it kinda hokey (Artemis' line about "A bicycle built for two" would be a good example" and the only time the "stop touching yourself" joke from the original run was funny to me was on the DVD promos where Bat-Mite was edited in to show up in front of the screen and sarcastically reply "How wacky and original!" That's not to the show's credit, that's some jokester cutting a trailer who got inspired. I do REALLY like Bart Allen though, I think they did him perfect. I'd like to see more of him. In any case, there is a difference between "fun" and "funny". Like I said before, the key element to me is "tone". It's all so self-serious and mired in political so-and-so, it ends up being one of those shows while I almost forget what show I'm watching.

I hope you're right and things improve in future episodes. Because if they don't I don't think I'm going to get much out of this season.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:31:32 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2019, 05:12:41 AM »
TBF though, YJ season 2 was worked on pretty much back to back with season 1. They even aired episode 1 of season 2 the week after airing the finale of season 1. However, it's been YEARS since Season 2 aired, and I expect there to be a bit of rust to shake off as the show finds its momentum again. What we did see raised enough questions and I'm intrigued enough that I plan to keep watching.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2019, 05:44:56 AM »
Sure, fair enough. And I am in for the long haul, I just hope I enjoy it more as it goes. I rarely drop any show, even ones I don't like that much (The Simpsons was probably the last show I stopped watching that I can recall)
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »
Im kinda trying to remember- did something happen to Aquaman in season 2 or between seasons?
Also,this whole thing where superheroes need an approval of gov or UN to operate- I know its realistic,but I hate that take.
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2019, 09:10:26 AM »
Not that I can recall, and not according to Wikipedia.

I'm guessing Aquaman's status quo is something Weisman and co will reveal more of in the future. They did some similar stuff in Season two when they did a time jump.

Either that or they couldn't get Phil Lamarr back and didn't want to bother recasting Aquaman (probably not the actual answer?)

You just reminded me that Catherine Cobert was in the show. I didn't complain about her (she's voiced by the same VA as Artemis, who also voices the computer) because she actually appeared in the original run. I immediately recognized her as being from JLI, but course here she's in a completely different context so I almost don't know why they bothered other than to get nerds like me to go "I understood that reference".

Speaking of that character, literally every voice actor I mentioned pulling double duty not named Khary Payton is also doing the "if we use an accent you won't be able to tell which voice actor we are" trick. Nice try guys. It didn't work back when 4Kids did it, it didn't work when Transformers: Cybertron did it, and it doesn't work here.

Come to think of about it, too bad this show isn't Young Justice: Suicide Squad. Waller (who actually did appear in the original run) and Task Force X would have had this whole situation sorted out in 2 episodes, tops.

Come to think of it, why the crap isn't Suicide Squad a show on DC's Streaming Service? I mean, they're clearing going all in on the "Darker and Edgier" business and you'd never make a kid-friendly Suicide Squad series anyway, because it'd pretty much just be G.I. Joe with DC characters. Yeah, that should absolutely be a show on DC's Service. I'm shocked I didn't think of that before now. I'd watch the everloving crap out of that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:34:26 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
Because the movie did poorly. No, seriously, you've already mentioned brand cohesion, and DC's big push leading up to the film was OMG Suicide Squad (Arkham Origins had them, Arrow had them, etc.) but after how blah the movie is WB's put the kibosh on that hype train in the same way they did for Green Lantern. Harley's still pushed because she at least got good buzz, but Task Force X? Nah.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #290 on: January 09, 2019, 01:16:18 AM »
Well, I was kinda being half jokey and rhetorical, but 1. DC's talking about doing a sequel, and 2. They still put out an animated movie after the live action film.  Then again, DC's been going back to putting out Justice League and Superman animated movies for the first times in years. Justice League the movie also did poorly but that still still got a new cartoon, which admittedly failed, but that's because it's a DC Cartoon not named Teen Titans Go. It's well documented that CN sabotaged pretty much every DC cartoon other than Go going back years (They also did this for Transformers cartoons)

Going back to Young Justice Outsiders: I was reading last night the various plans the creators said back in the day that they wanted to do prior to Outsiders happening, which would indicate this new storyline isn't what they were originally planning.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2019, 06:32:51 AM »
Uncle Iroh is training Ras Al Ghul.  :)
And I guess Light was reorganized ,again.

Time to be obsessed over minor details,were Red Martians ever a thing in any DC continuity?Green,white,burning and even yellow,but I cant find any mention of red,outside 1 YJ tie in comic.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:13:13 AM by HarryTrotter »
Jon Farmer

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2019, 06:52:32 PM »
So I'm just as guilty of this, but we should be careful from now on not to talk about season 3 events outside spoiler tags. I know a few members who are waiting until it's all up to use their free week, so we should be mindful.

However, since the red Martian thing isn't a spoiler... Red Martians seem to be a creation for this series, and only have a passing mention in the comics. Going by the wiki, Weisman's blog has apparently fleshed it out a bit, with the reds being the equivalent of royal blood in the yj-verse, and are super rare... So I doubt we'll see them anytime soon.

Onto actual spoilers though.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2019, 08:30:04 PM »
Ah, so Weisman's still giving behind the scenes supplentary info on his website after all these years eh? Awesome. I really gotta read more of that. I remember him having some interesting tidbits about Gargoyles.

On a related note. I've finally started reading the Young Justice tie-in comic. Pretty decent so far. It definitely hits some nostalgia buttons from the original run of the show.

Speaking of which:

Ok, now THIS week's offerings were fun. If the premiere was more like this I wouldn't have had anything to complain about.

Everyone involved seemed to be having fun with the security company plot.

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2019, 07:17:12 AM »
Did I mention this version of Justice League sucks?
"The UN sanctioned us,we couldnt even help with the tsunami thing"
This coming from Oliver Queen of all people.
Jon Farmer

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2019, 12:59:48 PM »
Did I mention this version of Justice League sucks?
"The UN sanctioned us,we couldnt even help with the tsunami thing"
This coming from Oliver Queen of all people.

So you're saying they should ignore what the UN says and do whatever the hell they want? Even though that could risk a conflict between the League and the UN that could have global and perhaps drastic repercussions?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #296 on: January 14, 2019, 01:21:53 PM »
Your saying they should just leave a few thousand people to die?
Jon Farmer

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #297 on: January 14, 2019, 02:40:32 PM »
Spoiler tags guys. Again, people haven't seen any of season 3 yet, and you're discussing that material specifically.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2019, 07:50:17 AM »
Which is possible,but unconfirmed by the series itself.So afaik they didnt help.
And I wonder if Kk would have a problem if ANYONE else asked the same.
As for spoilers,its a minor detail from episode 1,which has been out for a few weeks now.
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2019, 01:42:33 AM »
How did I miss this from the newest batch of episodes:

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018