News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mutating and Masterminding

Started by BentonGrey, September 09, 2011, 01:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, I'm trying to get my gaming group back on track after we've all been really busy over the summer, and I have been casting about for a superhero RPG for us to play.  I checked out Champions a while back after enjoying the PC game so much, but I found the system too complex for my blood, and definitely too complex for my players.  After some of y'all mentioned Mutants and Masterminds, I decided to check it out.  I found some of the books for the 2nd edition, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.  I'm not crazy about the idea of having no hit points, but it does seem much simpler than Champions.  There is a lot less math involved, and I can certainly appreciate that!  Anyway, I was wondering if there was anybody on the boards who was particularly familiar with the game, because I've run into some trouble trying to generate a character sheet for my go-to superhero character, The Rogue!

Basically, I've had a hard time wrapping my head around the rules for a Device.  I'm trying to replicate The Rogue's sword, which is the source of his powers, more or less.  I understand that you can spend points on the Device to buy powers for it, but I'm a little unclear as to exactly what I should take to simulate a magic sword that is very powerful and can generate energy for various purposes.  Can anyone help me out here?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Glitch Girl

I think your best bet is to treat it like Clark's 3rd Law - any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic.

Define what you want it to do first within the rules and then add limitations and details to deal to make it work within what is defined as"magic" in your universe.

Not sure that helps, but that's how I'd handle it.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Xenolith

Can I recommend B.A.S.H., the Basic Action Super Hero RPG.  It is much more simple than M&M but still has some crunchiness and enough detail to make characters unique.  For the sword, all you have to do is buy "Special Attack" and add the device modifier. 

BentonGrey

Thanks for the suggestion Xenolith, I'll give it a look.  I am liking M&M at the moment though, so I'll probably try this one out first.

GG, thanks for the advice, but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what to use to simulate what I want.  I'm getting a slightly better idea on this second read-through, but I'm still a bit confused.  I see that I can buy "Strike" and "Enhanced Ability" to make the damage and increased stats be tied to my device, but I'm a little unsure as to how I can/should handle my attack bonus.  It's 2 power points per +1 attack or defense bonus normally, but should I just buy those outright?  Can I tie them to my device?

:EDIT: Okay, I think I've got it.  A device is a REALLY good investment, since you're buying powers at 5 points while spending only 3 when your powersource can be taken away easily.  Anyway, I think I've got The Rogue built properly.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

BentonGrey

Alright, I'm definitely getting the hang of this, but I've got a specific question.  Protection is the power that you can use to create invulnerable types, I get that.  However, what I don't get is precisely how the power works.  It says it provides a bonus on your toughness save equal to your rank in the power.  If so, does that mean that protection can take your toughness save over the campaign's power limit?
God Bless

Glitch Girl

Toughness was always a bit of a PITA to work with.  IIRC it was added into your roll for damage save and yes it could be pretty high (the campaign I was in it capped out at +10 and I think it was a superheroic level campaign). 

What powerlevel is your campaign just out of curiosity?
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BentonGrey

Okay, I think I've got it all figured out.  My campaign will be a level 10 one as well, GG.
God Bless

Uncle Yuan

"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

BentonGrey

Yep UY, I'm afraid that, even though I liked how flexible it was, it was just too complex for me. 
God Bless

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 12, 2011, 11:24:02 PM
Yep UY, I'm afraid that, even though I liked how flexible it was, it was just too complex for me.

I was being thoroughly facetious.  I enjoyed it well enough when I was 20, but now I find it a complete train wreck of math!
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."