News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DCUO going F2P

Started by Courtnall6, September 19, 2011, 03:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtnall6

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/350/view/news/read/21935/DC-Universe-Headed-for-Free-to-Play.html

All MMO's should just do this already and from the start. It's a much better business model than subscription only.

Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Renegade

I finally have the motivation to try it out. :thumbup:
Hey Kids, COMICS!

Courtnall6

See you in Gotham Ren!  :cool:

Link to their F2P matrix.

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/

MJB

I think we all knew this was coming sooner or later.

Smaller inventory, smaller wallet & only 2 character slots is a bit annoying but it's to be expected. I may re-install once this goes live. :)

catwhowalksbyhimself

Okay, I may actually try this out when it goes live.  It doesn't really look like something I'd want to spend a huge amount of time like CoH, but looks like it might be a fine diversion once in a while.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

JeyNyce

I wonder if F2P people will get access to the GL powerset?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Thunder

For the GL powers...i think the F@P subscribers have to pay to download it.  The matrix listed in the above thread answers that question, I believe.

BlueBard

This just might induce me to try it out... :)
STO/CO: @bluegeek

JeyNyce

Quote from: Thunder on September 20, 2011, 01:00:35 PM
For the GL powers...i think the F@P subscribers have to pay to download it.  The matrix listed in the above thread answers that question, I believe.

That sucks because when it came out, it was free for everybody, now you will have to pay for it.  They should have just made that part of the core game and charge for the next DLC
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm pretty sure subscribers will still get it for free, it the freebie players that will have to pay for it.  That's what the link says, anyway.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Tortuga

2 slots?  Do past subscribers keep their existing characters?

Courtnall6

Past subscribers get 6 slots Tort. You'll have to activate the characters you want to use....the rest are locked out until you resub.

Tortuga

Dang.  How am I going to choose?!

Midnite

F2P Webcast highlight:

- Game Update 5 and what it includes (Dueling, FoS2, Hive HM Alert, 2v2 Batcave PvP)
- DLC2, announcing Flash as the Iconic Character, Cosmic Treadmill and the DUO it is featured in.
- No pay to win items in marketplace.
- Hints of some sort of crafting.
- DLCs are comes out quarterly. Small/big updates between DLCs.

MJB

Any word on when this goes live? Last I heard was October.

Courtnall6

Last I read was Oct 20th meej.

MJB

Midnite

Might happen either on Oct 11th or 18th, there were glitches on the server today. Most players were switch to basic status, and was quickly fixed by the Devs. They have the F2P system in place, I'm guessing they're still preparing more items for the market place. Or waiting for the green light for the higher ups.

Cardmaster

So is there a Freedom Reborn gang that plays DCUO then? Because now that it's free to play I'd like to try it and, well, I'd love to play with you guys.
Would anyone want to play with me?  :blush:

:cardmaster
Sah-WEEEEET!
www.ericstirpe.com

Midnite

You're welcome to join us.  ^_^

Magnificent

Quote from: Cardmaster on October 07, 2011, 08:17:50 PM
So is there a Freedom Reborn gang that plays DCUO then? Because now that it's free to play I'd like to try it and, well, I'd love to play with you guys.
Would anyone want to play with me?  :blush:

:cardmaster

Come on over.  With the server mergers, there's now only 4 servers and it's almost impossible to accidentally pick the wrong one.  They are:

PC - US
PC - EU
PS3 - US
PS3 - EU

When you create your first character you will have the choice between PVE and PVP.  Once you get out of the Tutorial (escaping from Brainiac's ship) you can swap between PVE and PVP shards in the Watchtower (heroes) or the Hall (villains).  Once ingame, send a /t to anyone you see with a FR tag and they can point you toward whichever may be on that can tag you. :)

BigAl1775

Yup. There are at least 6 or 8 regulars that are on all throughout the day. But stay away from that Bow Sting toon. He likes corn dogs and beef burritos and it makes him stinky    :D
And if you have log-in or crashing issues...we have someone to blame  :P
Dreadlok-Officer of Freedom Reborn on DCUO (PC)
              -Founder of Freedom Reborn on Marvel:Contest of Champions (tablet)

bat1987

Quote from: BigAl1775 on October 10, 2011, 01:40:09 AM
And if you have log-in or crashing issues...we have someone to blame  :P

By Odin's beard, I'm gonna crash your game soo bad next time, that you're gonna have to download the entire client yet again!  :cool:

Midnite

Magnificent

Tomorrow is D-Day (or rather "I finally get to score some wins in Legends Day") :thumbup:

BlueBard

I have to ask... how well does this play on a PC with only a mouse and keyboard?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Midnite

By the way I removed leaguers from the league. Was clearing house at the time, didn't know who was who. This was before F2P was announced. Send a tell or in-game mail for invite back in. To Bow Sting or The Blackdragon. Be glad to have returning and new players back.  ^_^

It looks like F2P is coming on Oct 20th? Servers are taken offline for a big patch.

vamp

So are there more ps3 players or pc players?