What's your favorite PS3 game? (also looking for suggestions)

Started by Outcast, September 24, 2011, 08:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outcast

So i know it's a little late but i finally got myself a PS3. (Well, it was actually a gift from my sister.  ^_^) and so far the only games i've got are Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, and Resident Evil 5.

Here are some games i'm considering to buy:
Dragon Age Origins: i've heard some good things about the game but i'm not sure if i would find the game play hard or easy. I'm interested in it's character customization possibilities and how your decisions in game affects the story ( or is it the ending?) and how other allies interact with you? Can i expect a lot of replay value?

Elder Scrolls:Oblivion: Again here, i'm interested in character customization. Is it better than Dragon Age Origins? I've read some reviews though that the game might prove to be difficult though.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance: An old game i know, but one (believe it or not) that i have played yet. Read some good things about the first one compared to MUA 2. So still unsure about the game play, controls, customization and replay value.

Tekken 6 / Marvel VS Capcom 3?: Haven't played much fighting games for years, but Tekken is an old favorite of mine among fighting games....while Marvel VS Capcom 3 is one game at the arcades I've always enjoyed watching.

WWE 12? : I've always enjoyed creating custom wrestlers from past WWE games, though i'm not sure if the controls and game play will be difficult for this game.

Batman Arkham Asylum: Read that the graphics and sounds are great in this game. Though i'm not sure if i can beat the game if the difficulty is hard or the controls difficult to master..

Magic the Gathering?: Since i've tried and enjoyed games like the Marvel Trading Card game and Yu gi oh games,  maybe i'd enjoy this one too or is it a bit more complex?

That's it so far... :unsure:  Any recommendations? and what's your favorite PS3 game?

captmorgan72

God of War 3 was the only reason I bought a PS3. That and my Xbox 360 died. Get God of War 3, it's a must have for the PS3.

Outcast

^_^ Thanks for the reply CaptMorgan72. My brother likes God of War and a friend of mine is totally crazy about the game.

I've been browsing some websites too like this one.http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1060027p1.html

The Phantom Eyebrow

Of the games you've mentioned I can certainly recommend Oblivion and Batman.
I had a loan of Tekken 6 for a weekend at one point but it didn't really do anything for me I'm afraid.

Oblivion is a massively open-world, do-what-you-want sort of a game.  You can play the main campaign or just ignore it completely and go off on any of the wide range of side-quests available - join and rise in the tanks of the various guilds (assassin, fighters, thieves, mages), compete in the Arena, etc.  Get the GOTY edition though as it also comes with the Shimmering Isles expansion pack.  Two warnings though:

- the levelling system is borked, and if you can't game it properly then your character will become relatively weak, seeing as enemies level up with you.  In the end my not too noble solution was to lower the difficulty level a smidge, so that it remained challenging without being too difficult.

- there is a bug in the PS3 version apparently which means if you contract full-blown vampirism, then you can't cure it.  This isn't a problem in practice as you have plenty of time to get cureed between contractnig it and the bug actually kicking in.

Batman is all kinds of aces and you get a great sense of what it would be like to really be The Bat.  Also, with the sequal coming out soon (November I think), you have time to hose the first game and be all nicely set up for the new one.

EDIT - you also asked for further suggestions...

Well I really enjoyed Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood (more sandbox fun, as a dandy assassin in renaissance Italy, what's not to love?).  If its superhero action you want then the Infamous games give you a similar vibe as an electricity spewing, parkouring superhero (or villain). 

Heavy Rain was an interesting change of pace from all that action, but I've no idea if it'd be your sort of thing though. 

Glitch Girl

I've played both MUA and MUAII and MUA was the far more enjoyable of the two. 

While nowhere near Freedom Force levels, MUA does give you some customization, more so than MUA2 - you can assign powers to specific buttons and usually have a few extra to choose from instead of having all the powers locked in.  There's also a greater variety of play styles among the characters and more costume options (4 as opposed to MUA's 2).

Gameplay is pretty simple and similar to Freedom Force: you have your four man squad where you can switch between characters or play with up to four people.  Attacks happen in real time (no pause to give orders) and mostly involve beating up tons of mooks with some mild puzzle solving along the way.  Boss battles are a little trickier and sometimes involve quicktime events.  Characters gain levels through XP (unused characters gain about 1/3 of the active group's XP, so they do level up, just not as fast)  Locations include Shield Helicarier, Murderworld, Atlantis, Hell, and Outer Space.  Plot is kinda convoluted, but still makes for a fun beat 'em up. 

Once you beat the game, you can do another playthrough at a harder difficulty and/or with different characters.  Everything can be unlocked by the time you finish the initial playthrough. 

Hope that helps.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Podmark

Quote from: Outcast on September 24, 2011, 08:06:03 AM
Dragon Age Origins: i've heard some good things about the game but i'm not sure if i would find the game play hard or easy. I'm interested in it's character customization possibilities and how your decisions in game affects the story ( or is it the ending?) and how other allies interact with you? Can i expect a lot of replay value?

I'm a big fan of Dragon Age. It's definitely high on the replay value. There are I think 6 origin stories to begin the game with and each noticably changes the story and your interactions with characters. It is a long game though, it's not uncommon to pull 40-60 hours on a single play through.

Quote from: Outcast on September 24, 2011, 08:06:03 AM
Batman Arkham Asylum: Read that the graphics and sounds are great in this game. Though i'm not sure if i can beat the game if the difficulty is hard or the controls difficult to master..

Batman is a strong contender for my favorite game of all time. Virtually every element of it is perfect: graphics, story, voice acting, game play. I didn't find it all that difficult and it has different difficulty settings. It's basically my favorite version of Batman. Some of the boss battles can be a bit disappointing though and you'd need to enjoy a little stealth game play.

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

JeyNyce

I don't have a PS3, but I have played most of the games you mention:

Batman is a must get.  If you are a fan of Batman or Super Heroes, you will not be disappointed

Dragon Age Origins - Great game, but I warn you it is very time consuming.  I've played a bit over 65 hours of this game

Elder Scrolls:Oblivion - Another great game, but just like Dragon Age, it's very time consuming.  People have reported playing over 200 hours.

Marvel VS Capcom 3 - Is good if you're in the mood for a quick "pick up" game

I've heard that Uncharted is a good game as well as God of War

The best thing about these game are that they're cheap right now. They have sequels coming out later this year.  Most of them you'll be able to get for $20 each
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Uncle Yuan

I'll throw in my bits, assuming play on an XBox360 is a valid comparison.

La-hove Batman.  Get it.  Just do.  And save money in your budget because Arkham City COMES OUT IN THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!!

DAO is a good game, but I never finished it.  I have no good reason why as I was enjoying it, I just kind of petered out.  I should go back to it.

Oblivion.  I started out not liking the game.  This was essentially because I read all about the character leveling before playing the first time and tied my self into knots trying to "do it right."  I blew it off and it sat on the self for a loooong time.  Then my son started playing it and told me to ignore all the leveling BS and give it another try.  I did and I have been playing it quite a bit.  (And having fun doing it.)

MUA.  I never played 2, but the first game was fun.  I'm not a big button-masher-combo-attack game type player, and some of the mini games are LAME, but I got it used and consider it to have been money well spent.

Other suggestions - Orange Box.  The first three "episodes" of Half Life 2 plus the first Portal.   Mmmmmmm, Portal.  And Team Fortress 2, which I've never played.

I've heard great things about Red Dead Redemption, but I don't know if I will ever get a chance to play it.  I don't have a ton of time to play and like I said, Arkham City COMES OUT IN THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!!!
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Outcast

Many thanks for all the feedback and suggestions guys.  :)
They've certainly helped me get some ideas about the games and other possible games as well. :thinkingidea

Hmmm, crazy as it may seem, i'm also considering the playstation move accessory? Any of you guys tried it?  :blink: I have my doubts if it's worth it though and if the games it works with are any good... :wacko: