Oh the ig-nominty! (the Ig Noblel awards)

Started by Glitch Girl, October 01, 2011, 04:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

For those who don't know, the Ig Nobel prizes are a way to award those who pursue knowledge from a slightly askew viewpoint and research that's a little... unusual. 

This year's winners have just been announced, see 'em here.

Personal favorites:
QuoteMATHEMATICS PRIZE: Dorothy Martin of the U.S. (who predicted the world would end in 1954),Pat Robertson of the U.S. (who predicted the world would end in 1982), Elizabeth Clare Prophet of the U.S. (who predicted the world would end in 1990), Lee Jang Rim of Korea (who predicted the world would end in 1992), Credonia Mwerinde of Uganda (who predicted the world would end in 1999), and Harold Camping of the U.S. (who predicted the world would end on Sept. 6, 1994 and later predicted that the world will end on Oct. 21, 2011), for teaching the world to be careful when making mathematical assumptions and calculations.

QuotePEACE PRIZE: Arturas Zuokas, the mayor of Vilnius, Lithuania, for demonstrating that the problem of illegally parked luxury cars can be solved by running them over with an armored tank.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

The Phantom Eyebrow

Heh, I've alwys been a fan of the Iggies (are they referred to as that?).  Thanks for posting Glitchie!

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: The Phantom Eyebrow on October 04, 2011, 05:53:48 PM
Heh, I've alwys been a fan of the Iggies...

I've always had a rather soft spot for The Stooges(-es?).

Good fun, GG!  Thanks for the link.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

lugaru

Arturas Zuokas is gonna have a crazy career after his job as a mayor ends. Seriosly I never hear news about Lithuania and he popped up on every news show and commentary show I watch and listen to. Tanks do rule though.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/