Started by bearded, September 27, 2011, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimethee

Impressive! How are the performances?
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

bearded

here you go, you can see for yourself:
brightideagames.com/WebPlayer.html
i left the pathfinding debug stats in the upper left so you can see how well it runs. the only problem is he will run up doors sometimes. i'm thinking with height based pathfinding, this could be used for wallcrawling.
same control as before, drag a square around the guy or click on him to select, and then right click anywhere on the map. right now i have the camera centered on him. to exit out, hit your windows key and when you click refresh, it is an entirely new map, with fresh paths!
i'm going to import some freedom force assets. replace the dungeon tiles with city tiles, and replace the guy with one of daglob's heroes.

detourne_me

wow, that pathfinding is seemless!  also, are those randomly generated dungeons?  they look great.

bearded

yes, randomly generated. i bought the tileset and made it randomized and then made a pathfinding that generates at runtime, so when the dungeon changes, your path is reset. i'm going to change out the dungeon tileset with streets and buildings, for randomized cities.
i am thinking of missions like xcom, wherein you have activity and decide which team members to send, and the location is dynamically generated.
tempted to start working on combat and stats, and make a basic diablo clone first, so i have something to work with. or i could start with the city generation.
it's weird to actually be able to progress, i've become accustomed to making some code and debugging it, now i can just drop in some assets, it's great!

lugaru

Few things are as infuriating as bad pathfinding, great to see it is a priority in this project. I would love to see some basic diablo style action when you are ready, leading up to the eventual skeleton of the project.

Cyber Burn

All this is going waaay over my head. I'm just really going to need to find the time to play this. Glad you're still working on it Bearded.

bearded

brightideagames.com/WebPlayer.html
a little further on the superhero flight simulator. 'w' and 's' controls, and mouse for direction.

bearded

i'll explain more shortly.

bearded

this is gryphon's thing skin on a flat plane. the mesh holds 2 skins, gryphon's thing, and a heightmap skin based on it. i simply greyed it out, and applied it. the way it works is the whiter something is. the more it deforms the mesh outward. blacker it is, the more it leaves it alone. as you can see from the torso and belt area in the pic.
the downside is it requires a lot more verts than ff. i am going to have to make brand new meshes. the great news is, they can be very simple. skinners will now have the ability to generate their own shapes to a very large degree. for example, for the head i am going to make a blank face shield, similiar to iron man's helmet. the whiter you skin the nose the more it will stick out.
i am going to make a character tool now, after i make a few meshes.
imagine, scale mail armor, with lumps. the thing in his rockiest form.
i think i am going to be able to create talking heads from this also.
to be clear, 2 skins for each character. the base skin, and the height map.
i have all the tools prepared now, i need the math and setting, with characters.

Epimethee

Great to see this progress, Bearded!

bearded

some progress. this is simply a regular skin with the height map all black except around the eyes.
i am going to release a face tool soon, to see what a real skinner might can do. the lines can be a lot more exact, cleaning up on the edges.

Deaths Jester

Ohhh...height mapping...can't wait to give this a try!!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

bearded

it works, here is the modifications i made to cyber burns skin in greyscale:

pretty bad, i know. i'm not a skinner. here is the before and after shots:

seems to work great. the only problem i think i might have is i have to change the image file to "read/write enabled" inside the editor. is there a way to make an image file enabled when it is saved or exported from the skinners paint program?
also, i'm not sure if my finished face tool will allow changes while running. you might have to skin, save, and open program to see progress. the models are in fbx format, by the way.

edit update:
i have managed to fix it so any textures are automatically imported correctly. but i found out to dynamically add textures i need something called asset bundles which are available only in pro.
alright! i have it set so textures can be imported at runtime!

Figure Fan

This height map stuff looks awesome. I had no idea you could use it to create details like this. :cool:

bearded

it is actually beyond height mapping, it is using a script to deform a mesh. if i can find the time, i will have a release soon, after a couple of needed tweaks.
a volunteer beta test skinner would be great.

Deaths Jester

I'd volunteer but I'm up to my neck bones in other stuff.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Cyber Burn

I can't volunteer right now, but I am curious, what format are the texture files in?

bearded

for the deform h/m only .png, base textures can be anything.

BentonGrey

Wow B, that adds an impressive amount of detail!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Sioux City Dynamo

Io

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Sioux City Dynamo on October 02, 2012, 03:06:27 AM
I will test

That is good news indeed, I can't wait to see how things turn out.

hoss20

So, will this technique/method also do away with some of the need for extra pieces like gloves, boots, and wristbands? I would imagine that as long as they still conform with the body shape, that this would work.

bearded

that's right, it can be anything that extrudes, but only extrusions. no underhangs.

bearded

for Siox City Dynamo:
brightideagames.com/facemaker.zip
if anyone else downloads and tries it, just let me know.
for now, the way it works, you can unzip it anywhere. you should have 2 texture files, one named tex.png and base.png. the tex png is your heightmap, and the base is your male base, based on the standard wiremap. these two files have to be in a folder as follows: c:\test.
right now, you have to have them in these folders, later i will make an option for browsing for texture files, and i'm pretty sure you will have to reload the facemaker after any changes. i think i can fix this also.

daglob

Hmm... I've been working on a bumpmap for Tommy's Thing mesh. I guess I need to finish it.

bearded

Quote from: bearded on September 30, 2011, 02:13:35 PM
... and have started the flight code. if he is on solid ground and you jump, he jumps, if you are on a wall, he starts to fly. i'm thinking flight could be handled as basically a controlled jump, with descent speed constant, but based on the power level of the character. like, angel would have a flight of 5 and would descend slowly, unless you push jump while in air, which would give you altitude and a wing animation, but superman would have a flight of 10 and extremely slow descent, basically a hover with drop or altitude button control. hulk would have flight of 0, but his strength would give him extreme altitude, but fast drop, and no altitude gained from jumping in the air. this would really work well for spiderman, flight of 1. he could basically bounce from wall to wall...

I am back working on this. Will have a website up soon with new free content. Flight sim for superflight types. A zombie killer. Some of my experiments.

Epimethee

Excellent news! I'm happy to see that you're still working on this, Bearded.

spydermann93

Skerdilajd Shehi

lol that looks awesome! should we make are own mod calling the Freedom force force of power! that might be are own ne freedom force game like number 3!