News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

something big

Started by bearded, September 27, 2011, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

i'm working on something huge, that's why i haven't kept up with my recent projects. (i will make a croc and squirrel, and hair thing when i get a minute.)

cmdrkoenig67

Hair thing?  What the-? :blink:

Anyway, its good to hear you're working on something big, B.

Dana

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: bearded on September 27, 2011, 01:56:17 PM
i'm working on something huge, that's why i haven't kept up with my recent projects.

BiL, I thought we discussed this before.  No one--and I mean no one--wants to know what you do behind the restroom door. 

Besides, we detected the distinct atmospheric shift toward a less aromatic, high pressure system several weeks ago before you reemerged today to post your latest bulletin.  :o

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on September 27, 2011, 07:18:41 PM
Quote from: bearded on September 27, 2011, 01:56:17 PM
i'm working on something huge, that's why i haven't kept up with my recent projects.

BiL, I thought we discussed this before.  No one--and I mean no one--wants to know what you do behind the restroom door. 

Besides, we detected the distinct atmospheric shift toward a less aromatic, high pressure system several weeks ago before you reemerged today to post your latest bulletin.  :o

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker

tmi  :P
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Xenolith

Cool.  I'm looking forward to whatever it is.  Something ingenious I would guess.

bearded

if things keep going well, and i eventually get some volunteers for help, it's going to be revolutionary. will try to post some screen shots this afternoon.

bearded

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
not much to look at right now, but trust me, it's a very good start. i have to figure out how to import animations, scale, and looks like i need to weld the verts a bit.

GogglesPizanno

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at... but I'm intrigued.
Is it FF characters modded into another game engine?

bearded

yes, that's a part of it. i am figuring out a way for all the work we've done over the years to be easily imported into another game engine. scriptable, moddable, everything.

Amazo Version 2.2

man. that is effing amazing!
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

GogglesPizanno

Well somebody got a technical fire lit under their pants lately  :P
Nice job...

catwhowalksbyhimself

May I ask what engine we are talking about here?
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

style

If im not mistaking that looks like the Looney Toons game :huh:
The Ultimate Fan!

Randomdays

Well, that's cool. Kind of the reverse of what I'm working on - instead of moving new stuff in, you're moving stuff out.

I thought about that when I was learning about converting, but my main stopping point was I didn't see any game out there that could do what FF could. Lifting heavy objects to throw, flying and all the fx's for the superpowers. Hopefully the engine you're working with can be adapted to handle that.

Good job and good luck. MM is looking good already.

Kommando

That does look pretty cool.

bearded

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 28, 2011, 10:16:39 PM
May I ask what engine we are talking about here?
why, yes, of course. you may.
Quote from: style on September 28, 2011, 11:59:00 PM
If im not mistaking that looks like the Looney Toons game :huh:
it's not loony toons! that is the panda3d engine, right? i've tried working with that, but it's so hard to work with, and it doesn't feel 'finished' to me. i know that's probably not true, there are games made with it, but all the updates make me feel that way.
Quote from: Randomdays on September 29, 2011, 01:00:58 AM
Well, that's cool. Kind of the reverse of what I'm working on - instead of moving new stuff in, you're moving stuff out.

I thought about that when I was learning about converting, but my main stopping point was I didn't see any game out there that could do what FF could. Lifting heavy objects to throw, flying and all the fx's for the superpowers. Hopefully the engine you're working with can be adapted to handle that.

Good job and good luck. MM is looking good already.
importing is pretty hard by itself, when i finish it will be easier for people to follow me. some of the ff engine can be emulated easily, some of it, like most nearly all the powers, will have to be scripted, like ffx. the fx is built in to the engine and super easy. lifting, and jumping easily coded to each character str, and flying can come directly from jumping.

i am working with unity. if anyone wants to work on it, let me know, and i'll share what i have so far. it's a big learning curve.

Epimethee

Looks extremely promising, Bearded!

Agreed on Panda 3D. Many interesting elements, but it seems to need a few more solid developers and support people. No blog post in more than a year is not a good sign.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

bearded

the great thing about unity is it looks complete enough to do everything we want it to do.
game mechanics:
i've been thinking about how ff missed some classic comics opportunities. like character death. if you die in a mission, i think that would be a chance to rebuild your character as either a returned to life hero, ala green arrow, superman, or remake him ala dick/batman. what would be some game mechanics advantages to that? maybe you get to keep one component of the old character, equipment, exp, costume (i'm also thinking some costume choices would affect powers. capes aiding in protection, or slower falling, etc.
the way i work, is i will get a complete level functioning, with a mission, and then slowly add things to it. powers, fx, etc. when i get a functioning level, i plan on releasing it to you guys. if ppl are willing to help, we should make this a team effort.

Cyber Burn

This sounds like an amazing project bearded, what kind of help are you needing? Right now, the scope of my abilities lies in Nifskoping and skinning, and my free time is really limited, but if there's on that level that you need, let me know.

GogglesPizanno

Unity is actually pretty slick.
I have a friend who does game development with Unity and he's a huge proponent.

I don't have a lot of time these days, but I have Unity installed on my machine and I would be interested in seeing what you've done.

bearded

Quote from: Cyber Burn on September 29, 2011, 01:16:35 PM
This sounds like an amazing project bearded, what kind of help are you needing? Right now, the scope of my abilities lies in Nifskoping and skinning, and my free time is really limited, but if there's on that level that you need, let me know.
the thing i'm not familiar with that you could help with is ...i think it's called bump mapping? i don't know anything about it, but unity supports it.
Quote from: GogglesPizanno on September 29, 2011, 04:10:12 PM
Unity is actually pretty slick.
I have a friend who does game development with Unity and he's a huge proponent.

I don't have a lot of time these days, but I have Unity installed on my machine and I would be interested in seeing what you've done.

in a day or 2, i should have something ready to show.

Kommando

Bump mapping is an extra texture layer that, when rendered on a model, gives the illusion of higher polygons. Valandar had a nice example a few years back. It can also be used to apply textures to objects, once again kind of an illusion.

Wikipedia Link

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Kommando on September 29, 2011, 04:40:28 PM
Bump mapping is an extra texture layer that, when rendered on a model, gives the illusion of higher polygons. Valandar had a nice example a few years back. It can also be used to apply textures to objects, once again kind of an illusion.

Wikipedia Link

Also Tommyboy toyed around with it a while back. The FF games didn't really officially support it (though the nif format itself does).
http://tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/BumpmapTutorial.html

Amazo Version 2.2

tommyboy also had a few meshes he released that had bumpmapped textures.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's cool that you are making progess on this.  It would be a great project for the community to work on and would be great if we could get a working project out there.  That would also a good thing to refocus the community as a whole on.

I'm assuming powers and such will be totally script driven?  Will it still be python based?  I can see tremendous potential if both are true.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

GogglesPizanno

All the scripting in Unity is done in either C#, JavaScript or Boo (python like).

bearded

everything is open source script driven. and a lot of scripts are already prepackaged. like jumping is a coded script called an 'asset'. with optional code to let it be a controlled descent. which is the next step to a flying code. which leads to melee combat. as an example. there are a lot of precoded assets, like bullets or melee punches.
gameplay: i'm thinking of dynamic villians, based on character choices. like your main adversary could be a copy of yourself, or the opposite, or random features, etc.

bearded

is anyone willing to make a nice bumpmap for minute man? i'll try to implement it.
i am going to make a full minuteman level, with as many of his powers as i can manage. it will be a third person action type game, i'm eventually hoping for mua type controls, with allies following you, that you can switch control to, maybe with online multiplayer capability, other ppl playing your allies.
so far, i have implemented the mm mesh, with all animations appropriate, and have started the flight code. if he is on solid ground and you jump, he jumps, if you are on a wall, he starts to fly. i'm thinking flight could be handled as basically a controlled jump, with descent speed constant, but based on the power level of the character. like, angel would have a flight of 5 and would descend slowly, unless you push jump while in air, which would give you altitude and a wing animation, but superman would have a flight of 10 and extremely slow descent, basically a hover with drop or altitude button control. hulk would have flight of 0, but his strength would give him extreme altitude, but fast drop, and no altitude gained from jumping in the air. this would really work well for spiderman, flight of 1. he could basically bounce from wall to wall. not web using his webshooters, i mean. my idea for webshooters is if you shoot something with your webline, like a wall or object very heavy, you are pulled to it, if you shoot something light enough, it is pulled to you. same for grapple guns.
the melee, as seen below, works excellent.  if enemy is in range of staff, when swung, you get hit. if you are a tad out of range, enemy missed. being hit sound effects based on each individual enemy.

ultimately, i am going to be practicing with the ff characters, but i want a character creation system like the city of heroes one, but i'm thinking of have an option wherein players can attain their powers based on how they look. you attach a shield to your character, you get the shield set of powers, like that. and have an option of creating your powers after the design, as an option.

bearded

QuoteMesh Particle Emitter

The Mesh Particle Emitter emits particles around a mesh. Particles are spawned from the surface of the mesh, which can be necessary when you want to make your particles interact in a complex way with objects.
this is something the engine can do in a game. know what that means?

BentonGrey

Alright, this is extremely interesting, but I'm afraid I'm having to play a bit of catchup here because I'm not very familiar with the engine.  I just looked Unity up, and I'm starting to understand what Bearded is working on a bit better.  I can definitely see a ton of potential to this, if we could rig up a game that FF content can be imported to.  Sadly, without something as Benton-friendly as EZScript I'll be pretty much on the bench for this one.  If we could find a way to put together a functional co-op Rumble Room type feature and a heroeditor, this could really be amazing.  It looks like Bearded is well on the way to getting the basic gameplay set.

Bearded, I think you're taking the right approach, building in the FF characters and such.  I've got a couple of questions for you, just to satisfy my own curiosity.  I hope you don't mind. 

1) You said that the melee is working pretty well.  Is there a dodge function or the possibility of one?  I love the gameplay in MUA, but I feel like we might lose a bit of what FF had if characters don't have a chance to dodge attacks.  I suppose just having speed function as both dodge and ground-speed could simulate this to a degree, though.

2) What kinds of maps are available?  Are there pre-made maps that could be adapted to FF? 

3) How destructible are the environments in this game?  Can objects be interacted with? 

4) Forgive the ignorance of this question, but do you think it will be possible to port over some of the attributes and such?  If this game can use a Python-like scripting language, could parts of FFX be used in it?

So, color me very interested Bearded.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/