Hurt and Heal: the Love Interest - ROUND 11 - Something wicked this way shambles

Started by Uncle Yuan, September 28, 2011, 03:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Yuan

Every good super hero (or heroine) has a love interest.  The girl next door, the boyfriend, the unrequited love, the spouse, the romantic foil - they take many forms, and while they are not super themselves they are often competent, interesting characters in their own right.

But who is the "best?"  Here's where we decide!

Hurt and Heal is a group posting game.  Each round each player may log one hurt or one heal to any two characters on the list.  You must register one hurt and one heal and you may not apply them to the same character.  People can join in whenever they like but may vote only once per round.  Editorializing is encouraged.

Rounds are somewhat flexible in timing and depend in large part to how many folks respond.  If votes are still coming in I will keep the round open, and will call the round when it looks like every one who cares to has voted.  UY will be the sole score keeper, time keeper and umpire.

Each character starts with five hit points.  Each "hurt" reduces hit points by one, each "heal" increases hit points by one.  If a character hits zero or lower at the end of the round they are eliminated.  Characters may not accumulate more than ten hit points and any surplus is ignored.  The winner is the last one standing!

Our Contestants:
Lois Lane (Superman) 5
Mary Jane Watson (Spider-man) 5
Iris West (Flash - Barry Allen) 5
Betty Ross (Hulk) 5
Alicia Masters (Thing) 5
Steve Trevor (Wonder Woman) 5
Mariko Yashida (Wolverine) 5
Carol Ferris (Green Lantern - Hal Jordan) 5
Wyatt Wingfoot (She-Hulk) 5
Linda Park (Flash - Wally West) 5
Sharon Carter (Captain America) 5
Pepper Pots (Iron Man) 5

(I had a lot of trouble coming up with male love interests.  There are relatively fewer iconic super heroines, and it seems the majority of them hook up with their super powered peers [Mr. Fantastic/Invisible Woman, Storm/Black Panther].  Even some notable male supers have primarily pursued their female counter parts [Batman/Catwoman, Green Arrow/Black Canary].  I wanted to keep this between "normals," and wanted to focus on iconic, long standing characters.   If you have a great suggestion PM me quickly and I'll add them to the list.)

Let the games begin!
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Glitch Girl

Can't think of another non-powered male love interest other than the ones you named.

If it's safe to start playing, I'll begin...

Heal Linda Park
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Uncle Yuan

Everybody needs to log one hurt and one heal per round.  GG, I will keep your heal - do you have a hurt?

Glitch Girl

I believe I do

Heal Linda Park
Hurt Mariko Yashida
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Mr. Hamrick

Technically...  neither Betsy Ross nor Pepper Potts are amongst the normal group anymore. 

Spoiler
Pepper Potts has her own armor and is technically a cyborg (I think) under the name "Rescue" and Betsy Ross is the Red She Hulk

That said:

Hurt Betsy Ross
Heal Pepper Potts

Reepicheep

Heal Pepper Potts
Hurt Linda Park.

Yeah, thats right, Glitch. Its on.

BlueBard

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on September 29, 2011, 07:20:59 AM
Technically...  neither Betsy Ross nor Pepper Potts are amongst the normal group anymore. 

Well, by that logic you'd maybe have to exclude Carol Ferris, too (tho I'm not sure what her ring status is these days).  And isn't Sharon Carter tied up with S.H.I.E.L.D?  But I'm okay with that.

Heal Iris West
Hurt Lois Lane (she deserves it for breaking Clark's heart)
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Glitch Girl

Off topic:
QuoteBetsy Ross is the Red She Hulk
Spoiler

I know he meant "Betty" but this was too good to pass up
-Glitch Girl

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: Glitch Girl on September 29, 2011, 02:42:16 PM
Off topic:
QuoteBetsy Ross is the Red She Hulk
Spoiler

I know he meant "Betty" but this was too good to pass up

Ha! That's horrific, in all the right ways.

Heal Alicia Masters
Hurt Louis Lane
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

BlueBard

Uncle Yuan

There was a decent amount of action for kind of a light round.  Pulitzer Prize winning Daily Planet journalist Lois Lane was the big looser, while Virginia "Pepper" Potts-Hogan built up a nice lead!

Our Contestants:
Lois Lane (Superman) 3
Mary Jane Watson (Spider-man) 5
Iris West (Flash - Barry Allen) 6
Betty Ross (Hulk) 4
Alicia Masters (Thing) 6
Steve Trevor (Wonder Woman) 5
Mariko Yashida (Wolverine) 4
Carol Ferris (Green Lantern - Hal Jordan) 5
Pepper Potts (Iron Man) 7

Glitch Girl

Hurt Carol Ferris (simply for that horrible Star Sapphire outfit from Blackest Night)
Heal.. .hmmm lessee.... Linda Park again
-Glitch Girl

BlueBard

Hurt Mary Jane Watson for the whole BND fiasco.
Heal Steve Trevor ... as far as I can remember he's one of the good guys and deserves a break.

Uncle Yuan

Hm, only two replies is a short round.  Bump - and anyone else?

BlueBard

Y'know, Glitch Girl, you and I could probably just decide between us who the finalists will be.  ;)

UY, the game must go on!  Keep it going!  The drama will pull the slow, indecisive, and unconcerned in.

We can take out Lois Lane in just three more rounds!  Or less!

Glitch Girl

Blood and gore, we want more! 

Er... I mean let's get some more votes in here people!   :)
-Glitch Girl

PreRaphaelite

Louis Lane is mysteriously locked in the supplies cupboard, and has a nasty run-in with a stapler. (Hurt)
Betty Ross sews herself a red-white-and-blue tourniquet and gets back in the race. (Heal)

Mr. Hamrick

blah!  I shouldn't type much while suffering from lack of sleep!

HURT - Linda Park

Heal - Pepper Potts

And PreRaphaelite, who is Louis Lane?  That's as bad as my Betsy Ross accident

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on October 08, 2011, 11:15:56 AM
And PreRaphaelite, who is Louis Lane?  That's as bad as my Betsy Ross accident

Haven't you heard? He's the new kid on the block. He enjoys long walks in the park, and catsuits.

Yeah... You're not the only who shouldn't type while suffering from lack of sleep.

Uncle Yuan

Action this round was pretty spread out.  Linda Park wind up with no net change, Carol, MJ and Lois all take a hit while Steve, Betty and Pepper all gain strength!  Lois Lane, intrepid girl reporter, stands close to elimination while Pepper has built up a sizable lead!

Our Contestants:
Lois Lane (Superman) 2
Mary Jane Watson (Spider-man) 4
Iris West (Flash - Barry Allen) 6
Betty Ross (Hulk) 5
Alicia Masters (Thing) 6
Steve Trevor (Wonder Woman) 6
Mariko Yashida (Wolverine) 4
Carol Ferris (Green Lantern - Hal Jordan) 4
Pepper Potts (Iron Man) 8

Round 3!

Mr. Hamrick

For Round 3:

Hurt Betty Ross again!

Heal Pepper Potts again!

Glitch Girl

Heal Linda Park ('cos I liked her and Wally, even if he doesn't exist anymore in the DCnU)

Hurt Mariko Yashida (for being useless in the Wolverine anime, and for the Wolverine anime in general)

-Glitch Girl

Panther_Gunn

The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

PreRaphaelite

Hurt Sharon Carter (because I can)
Heal Alicia Masters

BlueBard

I really like Pre's format of stating a reason for the hurt/heal and I'm going to try to copy -- erm, emulate this philosophy.

Lois Lane looks up in the sky (for Superman) too quickly and gives herself whiplash.  (( Hurt ))

Steve Trevor heroically saves a bag of kittens from drowning and his reward is a kiss from Wonder Woman.  (( Heal ))

Uncle Yuan

It's been an exciting round - with the inclusion of Wyatt Wingfoot and Sharon Carter everyone now has some skin in the game!  Also, for the first time no votes canceled each other out, meaning everyone tapped moved from last round.  Lois now stands on the brink of elimination while Pepper is stronger than ever!

Our Contestants:
Lois Lane (Superman) 1
Mary Jane Watson (Spider-man) 4
Iris West (Flash - Barry Allen) 7
Betty Ross (Hulk) 4
Alicia Masters (Thing) 7
Steve Trevor (Wonder Woman) 7
Mariko Yashida (Wolverine) 3
Carol Ferris (Green Lantern - Hal Jordan) 4
Wyatt Wingfoot (She-Hulk) 4
Linda Park (Flash - Wally West) 6
Sharon Carter (Captain America) 4
Pepper Potts (Iron Man) 9

Round 4 is the "Lurker Invitational!"  First time players will have their votes count DOUBLE this round!

BlueBard

"52" Lois Lane does some incredibly stupid thing like walking up to Darkseid and asking for an exclusive interview.  Unfortunately she didn't know Superman was halfway across the galaxy... He's not swooping in to save you this time, lady.  (( HURT!!! ))

Sharon Carter gets inspired after watching Cap in action on DVD.  (( Heal ))

Glitch Girl

Paris Hilton tells Carol Ferris that her outfit is tacky  (hurt)

Linda Park is nominated for an Emmy for her expose on supervillains and the penal system (heal)
-Glitch Girl

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 11, 2011, 02:22:05 PM
Linda Park is nominated for an Emmy for her expose on supervillains and the penal system (heal)

GG said "penal system" (huh huh huh huh - in a Beavis and Butthead manner)

In all seriousness... Betty Ross finds out she was played by both Jennifer Connelly and Liv Tyler in movies and decides to hurt herself (HURT)

Sharon Carter realizes (and hopes) that Amanda Righetti might have well been playing her at the end of the Captain America film, which according to IMDB (at one point) might have been who she was playing.  (HEAL) 

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: BlueBard on October 10, 2011, 02:13:49 PM
I really like Pre...

I knew it. It's my eyes, isn't it? Yep. Definitely my eyes. The best eyes a clone could have ...when spawned with a limited budget and a reduced genepool...

Linda Park finds a pocket dimension in her pocket and, tumbling head-over-heels through time and space, suffers from a bout of inter-dimensional travel sickness. (Hurt)

Alicia Masters wins the Turner Prize for a sculpture titled, "PreRaphaelite with fig leaf". (Heal)