News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tomato's Mad Experiments 05-14-2013

Started by Tomato, October 01, 2011, 10:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outcast

You know. I think Deadpool is the only character i know (aside from Murs that is), who is crazy enough to ride a pink colored pony. So that image is not that far fetched. :P

Tomato

Got some more work done on this, tis coming along. I probably need to tape up at least the roots of her hair temporarily because I want to go over the whole thing with a mix of gloss white and a gloss clear before working on painting like the eyes and such.

Doing the hair was a labor of love and evil. That hair was added by hand, using superglue both to clump the individual hunks of hair together, as well as to take those hunks and attach them to her head. Then, to get the wavy look, I had to braid it. I'm a guy, WTF do I know about braiding hair? I had to find a tutorial for that man. UGH.

That said, love the way the hair looks now that all is said and done, so really, it all worked out.

P.S. As far as Murs riding Pinkie... let's just say I am not the first to come up with the idea, but I am MORE than willing to perpetuate it.

Deaths Jester

The fact that you are spending tons of time working on the hair of a pony, as well, as saying things like "tape up at least the roots of her hair temporarily " truly shows how far these ponies have affected the last bits of sanity you ahd, 'Matter.  Truly sad....:P
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

Quote from: Deaths Jester on February 17, 2012, 04:28:31 PM
The fact that you are spending tons of time working on the hair of a pony, as well, as saying things like "tape up at least the roots of her hair temporarily " truly shows how far these ponies have affected the last bits of sanity you ahd, 'Matter.  Truly sad....:P

Ponies DJ. I styled the hair of the Mane 6, Luna, and Celestia. I'll probably be posting an updated group shot once I finish work on Celestia.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on February 17, 2012, 04:54:15 PM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on February 17, 2012, 04:28:31 PM

Ponies DJ. I styled the hair of the Mane 6, Luna, and Celestia. I'll probably be posting an updated group shot once I finish work on Celestia.

That's even worse!

Tomato

Depends. It's worse from the standpoint that I obviously put more effort then you had previously thought into a collection you don't like, but on the other hand, this proves I didn't just leap off the cliff of insanity with this one project, because it's only the latest in a series.

Tomato

*is finally satisfied... at least for now*

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on February 18, 2012, 12:13:47 AM
Depends. It's worse from the standpoint that I obviously put more effort then you had previously thought into a collection you don't like, but on the other hand, this proves I didn't just leap off the cliff of insanity with this one project, because it's only the latest in a series.

No, you just didn't leap of the cliff, you swan dived off it wearing a pink tutu and singing a rousing rendition of "Somwhere Over the Rainbow".....

Tomato

DJ, I'm truly offended by your statement, and I demand an apology. I clearly wouldn't ever be singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow," as there are too many awesome pony songs like "Winter Wrap Up" "Art of the Dress" "Giggle at the Ghosties" "May the Best Pet Win" "Smile Smile Smile" and the like... not to mention the awesome fan mixes and alterations (pretty much any Disney villain song has an awesome pony edition) such as "Want You Gone" (in my sig), "Bad Harmony," "Doctor Whooves and Assistant Theme" and pretty much any of the Fighting is Magic themes

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on February 25, 2012, 12:16:48 AM
DJ, I'm truly offended by your statement, and I demand an apology. I clearly wouldn't ever be singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow," as there are too many awesome pony songs like "Winter Wrap Up" "Art of the Dress" "Giggle at the Ghosties" "May the Best Pet Win" "Smile Smile Smile" and the like... not to mention the awesome fan mixes and alterations (pretty much any Disney villain song has an awesome pony edition) such as "Want You Gone" (in my sig), "Bad Harmony," "Doctor Whooves and Assistant Theme" and pretty much any of the Fighting is Magic themes

'Matter....you have problems!  Please see someone about them...PLEASE!!!!

Tomato

Hey, I had my dad listen to some of those tracks I linked to. He didn't even realize they were pony music (I only have the fan mixes on my phone), he just thought they were good beats.

That said... you of all people have no right to ask ME to seek help. Putting the whole zombie thing aside, you've probably spent more on alcohol in the last week then I have on ponies in the last year. YOU have problems DJ.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on February 27, 2012, 09:37:12 PM
Hey, I had my dad listen to some of those tracks I linked to. He didn't even realize they were pony music (I only have the fan mixes on my phone), he just thought they were good beats.

That said... you of all people have no right to ask ME to seek help. Putting the whole zombie thing aside, you've probably spent more on alcohol in the last week then I have on ponies in the last year. YOU have problems DJ.

Ahh..but I admit I have problems and am doing something about it (mainly drowning myself in booze)!  Yet you on the other hadn are in deep denial of ever having any problems!

Tomato

No, I fully admit I have an obsession... I just don't give a buck what you think about it.

Cyber Burn

Hey 'Mato, just out of curiosity, did you ever finish out your Avengers team?

Tomato

As much as I really could, given the circumstances. I did decide to go with Mockingbird as the last team member (I'd kind of dismissed her before because I'd always seen her portrayed as a poor man's Hawkeye... Prem since corrected me on that, at some length) so I know who I'm getting, but Hasbro hasn't made all the characters yet, and others are too expensive ATM... I'm kinda hoping Ms Marvel will end up in the Avengers light up set thing, because her original release is EXPENSIVE. And I mean expensive coming from a collector who shelled out $200 a month at one point buying 4-5 Marvel Legends figures at a time.

As far as other non Pony stuff goes (I expect that'll die down now... I got most of who I want now, and I can't really customize the others until other bucks come out) expect to see a couple of 4 inch YJ style figures come out before long. I've been itching to make a "Teen Lantern" Kyle Rayner for awhile now, and some of the forced re-buys will make that a reality before long. A WG wouldn't go amiss either, but I expect we'll actually see her once the series actually gets moving again.

Tomato

Fun Fact: I've gone out 3 days of this last week specifically to find and buy more ponies, and each time I not only decline to buy any ponies (I just can't bring myself to care about recolored ponies Hasbro just makes up) I've turned around and bought a DC figure. So yeah, maybe I'm not as far gone as some of you think.

Tomato

I was planning on doing this with the Stealth KF (since I have to buy it to finish my hall of justice) but... it took too long coming out, and I really wanted to get this going. So I bought the wal mart KF and used it instead (I regret that decision a bit because the translucent plastic on the arms and head is flimsier than the standard ones... but wevs.)

If any of you were wondering who this is gonna be, I suggest looking at the head.

Edit: I also ripped off the legs of my newest Dick Grayson Robin, but as I think the sight would horrify certain members *cough* Benton *cough* I've refrained from uploading pictures until I get a suitable replacement donor.

juancho

Tomato

It could be.

I decided to make Kyle a Blue Lantern in this case because I feel like the blue lantern power-set is much more in tune with the other YJ characters than it would be having him be a Green Lantern.

Tomato

More fun was had with robin since that pic, but since he's all nice and packed up right now I won't be showing pics (and no, still no legs. waiting on the donor to get here already) However, I had a few last minute pony pics and the story behind them before I take everything down.

So, as I've touched on a wee bit over the last few weeks, I'm officially, finally, goddamnit it took it's sweet time getting here, being discharged from the military. The whole story behind it is complete nonsense (so much so that I can't even be upset due to the sheer lunacy of it) involving room inspections.

OMG Tomato, you had a room so dirty that you got discharged from the military? You must be such a slob!

Yeeeeaaaahhh... I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been perfect during my stay here as far as keeping the room clean. But in the year and a half I've been here, I've only really had 2 actually "bad" room inspections. The last two that I've had, the ones for which I got an article 15 and then a discharge, were just silly and vindictive.

The inspection I recieved for the article 15 was done over the course of a week... I recieved one failed inspection, then they checked to see whether I improved and failed me again. Which is odd, because I got a passing room inspection (from someone higher up the chain of command then the morons doing the other ones, no less) in the middle of the two failures and I did absolutely nothing different than the two times I failed.

However, they couldn't quite make that one stick. I'm sure this will shock everyone, but you can't just kick out a member of the military for a few room inspection failures, especially ones done by a tech and staff sergeant. So THIS time, the First Shirt did my inspection. And I swear to God, the main points on that room inspection failure were stuff like

-Dust on the fan
-Shopping bags under the sink
-Bathroom had grime in a few spots
-Floor had dust on it

Not as side notes, not as contributing factors... the entire failure was predicated on those basic reasons. Bed was made, even they had to admit I'd kept things organized, I didn't leave trash all over the place, etc.

So yeah, this whole thing has been an irritating mess of annoyances, but I honestly don't care anymore... I'm so happy to get away from these idiots I'll be just as happy to struggle with the futility of finding a job in this crappy economy.

But anyway, back to this. After the whole discharge thing came out, as sort of my final middle finger to any arse to do room inspections despite my already being effing discharged, I set this display up. Up to this point, I'd been hiding my ponies in one of my security lockers (I love ponies, but even after DADT was removed there's no way on earth I'd reveal that fact as an active duty airman... which is part of the reason I pushed it so hard on here, actually) but since then I've had them out. I'd even planned to have the whole thing, with letter out and actual My Little Pony music playing, waiting for them during an inspection I planned with one of my supervisors (a Staff Sergeant who really didn't have anything to do with the whole mess and who I actually do still respect a lot) but that kinda fell through. But even so, before I took it down I wanted to take some pictures of the display, as well as the contents of the letter.

P.S.
For those wondering what's going on with Pinkie and Deadpool,
I posted the close up on my tumblr before posting this.

Tomato

So, this post is going to be a major image dump of figure pics, mainly because I'm FINALLY back home and unpacked enough I can show some of this shiz off. I'm actually working with my dad to build my own display case at the moment, so expect to see more zaniness to come in the next few weeks.

I should point out that none of these displays are "done" per se, though the Freedom Reborn display is the closest (despite C6 still being repaired). I'm mostly just playing with some display ideas, figuring out what works for me and what doesn't.

Freedom Reborn

Spoiler

As you can see, not much has changed on this display from the 50 other times I've put it together, except with the newer figures mixed in. Now, normally the villains are faced the other way (staring down the heroes like real villains) but I turned them around for the picture. Once the current loosecollector batch is done and I finally have my Influx team squared away, I'm going to use that "slot" to start getting a couple more villains in.

Random comparison shots

Spoiler

Just a few random photos I took comparing some of my DCUC figures. The first is a height comparison between the original Sinestro figure (whose body would go on to be used for Tim Drake Robin and other short teen heroes) Hal Jordan (mostly for an "average height" reference) and the revised Sinestro buck (awaiting replacement since the SC version of the figure is being mailed). The second is comparisons between the Green Lantern and Aquaman figures I have. I mentioned at one point that I'd broken down and purchased discounted two packs with these figures, well here's why. "But Tomato, which are the old ones and which are the new?" Well, I'll put it this way... the ones I'm keeping are the ones that AREN'T hanging their heads in shame.

Justice League vs Legion of Doom

Spoiler

Still kind of incomplete, but I'm waiting on 2 LoD members that are currently in the mail (one aforementioned Sinestro replacement, one Flash adversary) and I don't think there are any MM villains that have had figures made of them yet, and I'm not sure any of them deserve one. And for those wondering why Batman and Joker are not part of their respective "Big 7" teams, well...

The EPIC Batman Collection

Spoiler

((FYI, DCUC Robin isn't done, but he does have lower legs finally. Huzzah!))

I'll let this one more or less speak for itself.

Deaths Jester

Gawds Matter...you really have too mcuh time and money on your hands...if you really need soem place to pu that money...send it to me, I have a wonderufl use for it!!!

Tomato

Actually, I've always been very careful with my budget... the reason I can spend ~100-150 dollars a paycheck on figures is because I DON'T spend that money drinking, smoking, buying 20 video games/movies, etc.

I can't wait to show off Kyle and the rest of my YJ collection btw. he's almost done, just need to seal his decal.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on March 28, 2012, 06:39:27 PM
Actually, I've always been very careful with my budget... the reason I can spend ~100-150 dollars a paycheck on figures is because I DON'T spend that money drinking, smoking, buying 20 video games/movies, etc.

I can't wait to show off Kyle and the rest of my YJ collection btw. he's almost done, just need to seal his decal.

I don't buy 20 video games/movies!!  Who gave you that idea?!?!?!

Tomato

Gawd DJ, not everything is about you! I was merely listing some of the more common things people waste money on.

My dad's the same way... the main reason my mom never protested his comic book habit (we have a wall dedicated to comic book boxes in the basement) is because it's his only real vice.

Edit: So I got in my other LoD characters (Reverse Flash and Corp Sinestro, so my villain side is much more yellow now  :P) but I'm still short one MM villain. Anyone have any ideas?

Tomato

still working on sorting through stuff for the different "collections", but I wanted to show off a few things for the moment.

Freedom Reborn
Spoiler

C6 is finally fixed, and I'm reasonably ok with the results. Maybe not as good as LC would have done but hey, not bad for an amateur.

Young Justice & Kyle Rayner
Spoiler

Still waiting on the last 2 pieces of the diorama, but it'll be a few weeks before they come in so wevs. Kudos to whoever figures out the order (I'd recommend looking at the team, not the League, because it has fewer blank spots in the lineup)

Now, Kyle. The idea of adding him to the team stemmed from the fact that the only "sidekick" missing from the big 8 League members (counting GA) was a sidekick for Green Lantern (Assuming Wonder Girl shows up eventually, as we've more or less been told). I'm a bit OCD about that sort of thing, and Kyle just seemed to be the right character to fill in the gap.

As for him being a blue lantern here instead of a green... in my search for design ideas, I came across a discussion about how making Kyle a Blue lantern, rather than a Green, would better fit within the context of the show. Without the presence of a Green Lantern, Blue Lanterns are unable to make constructs, and are generally limited to flight and shooting energy blasts. In other words, it would keep him from being completely overpowered.

juancho

niiiice collection
so I gues YG is missing Artemis and my lady Zatanna am I right?

and Reddy?? there is no YJ without the tornado, duuuuuuude come on!! :D
Just kidding, great collection mato!

Tomato

Talk to mattel... 4 waves of single packs and 2 waves of two packs and Artemis still hasn't been released.

As forr Zatanna... she actually isn't taken into account just yet, though I might adjust things if/when they do finally release a figure of her. I'm basing the order of the figures on something from the show, and Zatanna hasn't been included in that yet.

Tomato

And this right here is why one of you should buy me a Fashion style pinkie and a 12" deadpool.