News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

What do they have in common?

Started by Alaric, October 17, 2011, 10:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric

For each of the following three groups of comic book characters, all the individuals in the group have something in common, other than what's mentioned when introducing the group.

1) Supporting Characters- Other than being well-known supporting characters for some of the best-known heroes from DC and Marvel, what do the following characters have in common?

Aunt May
Betty Ross
Commissioner Gorden
Hippolyta
Lois Lane

2) Colorful Crusaders- Other than their color- related names, what do the following two characters have in common?

Black Widow
Red Tornado

3) Assorted Avengers- Aside from all having been Avengers at one time or another, what do the following characters have in common?

Giant-Man
Hellcat
Mockingbird
Ms. Marvel
War Machine
Fear the "A"!!!

Xenolith

wow.  good questions.  i'm sure i'll slap my head when i learn the obviuos answers I can't think of at the moment.

The Hitman

Gonna take a wild guess at #2... is it that they both have non-related Golden Age characters that use their names (Ma Hunkel and Claire Voyant)?

Alaric

Quote from: The Hitman on October 18, 2011, 12:03:08 AM
Gonna take a wild guess at #2... is it that they both have non-related Golden Age characters that use their names (Ma Hunkel and Claire Voyant)?

You're on the right track, but there's more to it than that.
Fear the "A"!!!

Xenolith

#3.  Did they all work for Stark Enterprises at some point?  I'm assuming Giant Man is the Bill Foster version.

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Alaric on October 18, 2011, 12:39:22 AM

I know they were two of the first female comicbook superheroes as well, does that count?
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Alaric

Quote from: Xenolith on October 18, 2011, 12:47:03 PM
#3.  Did they all work for Stark Enterprises at some point?  I'm assuming Giant Man is the Bill Foster version.

Not what I'm looking for. And the Giant-Man I'm thinking of is actually Hank Pym- just arbitrarily picked one of his identities. Interestingly enough, though, Bill Foster would fit, as well- except that I don't think he was ever actually an Avenger.
Fear the "A"!!!

Alaric

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 18, 2011, 01:16:47 PM

I know they were two of the first female comicbook superheroes as well, does that count?

Okay, I guess, between Hitman's and Glitch Girl's posts, I'll consider this close enough. The Golden Age versions of the two characters actually each have a pretty strong claim to being the first female superhero published by each of the current "Big Two" comic book companies (although, in both cases, you could argue the point).
Fear the "A"!!!

JKCarrier

Quote from: Alaric on October 17, 2011, 10:33:38 PMGiant-Man
Hellcat
Mockingbird
Ms. Marvel
War Machine

None of them started out as superheroes. Hank was introduced in a one-shot sci-fi story, Patsy started out in a teen humor series, and the others were all non-super supporting characters in various books.

Alaric

Quote from: JKCarrier on October 19, 2011, 01:26:21 PM
Quote from: Alaric on October 17, 2011, 10:33:38 PMGiant-Man
Hellcat
Mockingbird
Ms. Marvel
War Machine

None of them started out as superheroes. Hank was introduced in a one-shot sci-fi story, Patsy started out in a teen humor series, and the others were all non-super supporting characters in various books.

Ding ding ding!

YES!

Not only did none of them start out as superheroes, but none of them were even originally created with the intention of turning them into superheroes. Well done!
Fear the "A"!!!

Reepicheep

Could no.1 be that the characters have all at some point been aware of their respective superhero's secret identities?

Alaric

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 19, 2011, 03:37:44 PM
Could no.1 be that the characters have all at some point been aware of their respective superhero's secret identities?

Sorry, not what I'm looking for.

Other characters I could have used, without (for now) bringing additional superheroes' supporting casts into this, would have been Steve Trevor, Flash Thompson, Rick Jones, and "Thunderbolt" Ross. Characters who would NOT have fit would include Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, Lanna Lang, Alfred, J. Jonah Jameson, and Mary Jane Watson.
Fear the "A"!!!

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Alaric on October 19, 2011, 01:24:46 PM
Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 18, 2011, 01:16:47 PM

Okay, I guess, between Hitman's and Glitch Girl's posts, I'll consider this close enough. The Golden Age versions of the two characters actually each have a pretty strong claim to being the first female superhero published by each of the current "Big Two" comic book companies (although, in both cases, you could argue the point).

Now, see, I was gonna say they were both "turncoats".  Both started out as enemies/villains, and ended up on the side of right.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Glitch Girl

I'm going to take a complete shot in the dark for #1 and guess that these supporting cast  members appeared in the first appearance/issue of their respective starring characters?
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Alaric

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 20, 2011, 12:30:07 AM
I'm going to take a complete shot in the dark for #1 and guess that these supporting cast  members appeared in the first appearance/issue of their respective starring characters?

Yes!!!

(Personally, I find it interesting that James Gordon is the only Batman supporting character who appeared in Batman's first appearance.)
Fear the "A"!!!

Alaric

Final Score:

The Hitman- 0.5 point
JKCarrier- 1.0 point
Glitch Girl- 1.5 points

Or something like that.

Thanks to everyone who took part. I could come up with a new quiz, if anyone's interested- or someone else could do one. Or not. Any preferences?
Fear the "A"!!!